LIST: MCAT mnemonics and memory aids!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qweewq11

Smiley orgy organizer
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mnemonics are essential to survival in med school, and I think they would be useful on the MCAT as well.

Let's make a list of good MCAT mnemonics to help remember details!

Some of these may be too detailed but some may actually help us remember something thats always confused us. If it works we should get a good list of mnemonics to be able to print out so we can study the ones we like for the MCAT. Just click "thread tools" at the top of the thread and then "show printable version" :thumbup:

Some I know off the top of my head:

CUT Pye: Cytosine, uracil, and thymine are PYramidines.
Pure As Gold: Guanine and Adenine are Purines.

Never Let Monkeys Eat Bananas:
Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, Basophils

Maggie May Does Not Smoke: Hardy weinberg requires no:
Mutation
Migration
(genetic) Drift
Nonrandom mating
Selection

:clap:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
hydrogen bonds are F.O.N (self explanatory :naughty:)

Pendulums GLide (G and L are in the equations):clap:

Springs are naughty so you need to Kick eM (K and M are in the equation):hardy:

That's all for now folks :pompous:

Reactions: 1 user
K A D E is Fat = Fat-soluble vitamins K, A, D, and E.

My apologies for the un-PC'ness of this mnemonic (and to anyone named Kade who is overweight), but it helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lmfao thanks TOILET PAPER MY ASS!!!! LOVE THIS ahahaha

whats FUBAR and BOHICA?
Old military sayings:

f@&$! Up Beyond All Recognition.

Bend Over Here It Comes Again.

It'll help to keep perspective. It's a test that is meant to be hard, and test your ability to reason, as well as content knowledge. From my recent exam, reasoning is starting to weigh more heavily.

Reactions: 1 users
Old military sayings:

f@&$! Up Beyond All Recognition.

Bend Over Here It Comes Again.

It'll help to keep perspective. It's a test that is meant to be hard, and test your ability to reason, as well as content knowledge. From my recent exam, reasoning is starting to weigh more heavily.

awesome thanks!

Tri before you Bi ----- (Triscuspid before bicuspid).
"Twinkle twinkle little star, V is equal to IR."

Reactions: 1 user
Hi MCAT Ass Kickers:

Can anyone post the mnemonic they have for the function of the liver...i forgot how it goes...

Also if anyone has any mnemonics on the kidney that would be great as well.

Thanks Fellow Future Doctors! :D

The mnemonic for liver function is...
"PUSHDoG": Protein synthesis; urea production*; Storage; Hormone synthesis; Detoxification; Glucose and fat metabolism.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I'd Bump for some of us taking the new MCAT.
Some of these Mnemonics are still useful :);)
Good luck

Order of layers of the eye. Mostly just so that you do not forget the order of the sclera and the choroid.

from outside to inside: Sclera --> Choroid --> Retina, of which each first letter is in the correct order in the word S-C-le-R-a itself.

also, the choroid's function is similar to that of the chorion in fetal development, in that it facilitates gas exchange (of which I liked someone's mnemonic, gassy chorion = gassy Korean, we can just assume that kimchi will do that.

Mnemonics are essential to survival in med school, and I think they would be useful on the MCAT as well.

Let's make a list of good MCAT mnemonics to help remember details!

Some of these may be too detailed but some may actually help us remember something thats always confused us. If it works we should get a good list of mnemonics to be able to print out so we can study the ones we like for the MCAT. Just click "thread tools" at the top of the thread and then "show printable version" :thumbup:

Some I know off the top of my head:

CUT Pye: Cytosine, uracil, and thymine are PYramidines.
Pure As Gold: Guanine and Adenine are Purines.

Never Let Monkeys Eat Bananas:
Neutrophils, Lymphocytes, Monocytes, Eosinophils, Basophils

Maggie May Does Not Smoke: Hardy weinberg requires no:
Mutation
Migration
(genetic) Drift
Nonrandom mating
Selection

:clap:
I like Pyramids CUT for pyrimidiens and Two ring punching partners Adrian and Guazil ( I have ben using this for purines for years)

Ectoderm = "attractoderm" anything that attracts you to someone else ... lens of eye (eyes), nervous system (personality), skin, etc.

Mesoderm = "meanstoderm" anything that it takes to do something or go somewhere. Bladder (gotta GO pee), musculoskeletal system, cardiovascular system (running and moving), tendons etc (to pull against), etc

Endoderm: What is inside, lining of digestive system, etc.
--------

Cells:

EPA (environmental protection agency) E lectrolytic (galvanic) P ositive A node

Remember Galvanic cells ARE electrolytic cells (synonyms) and the ANODE IS NEGATIVE IN THE OTHER CELL TYPE (non electrolytic)

Cathode and Reduce both have "C" in them .... (so anodes ALWAYS oxidize).

---------

Right Hand Rule (learn to love this one, BIG TIME)

---------

Oil Rig (oxidation is loss [of electrons], Reduction is Gain)

Another way to remember this same thing is to look at the CHARGE above the atom.

Ag (in ground state, the CHARGE is 0) --> Ag+ (this has been OXIDIZED) since the number above Ag has increased.

Cu3+ --> Cu2+ (this has been REDUCED sinced the number above it is REDUCED [went down]

Cl --> Cl- (this is also REDUCED [went from 0 --> -1]

If you remember this, you need NOT remember OIL RIG or LEO says GER
-----------

Hope that helps.
I remember Mesoderm by remerging its of Muscle Blood and Bone and thing of this skinless figure that comes to mind

Some of the mnemonics that I use that I've gotten from other people, resources, or my head
Lenses
DiVURging lens (Diverging lens) = virtual upright and reduced image

Ester vs Ether
Ester

I have a friend named Esther who drinks alot of COOR (beer)
Ether
Ether Or (pronounced Either or) (R-O-R)

For periodic trends,
I only remember atomic radius increases as you go down the periodic table and decreases as you go from across (L to R) and all other periodic trends are the opposite [eg electronegativity, electron affinity, ionization energy etc decrease going down and increase going across (L to R)]

Pancreatic Hormones
(IG(gy)'S is B-A-D)
beta insulin
alpha glucagon
delta somatostatin
or-
If you remember that they go in alphabetical order (A-B-D, then GIS)
Alpha Glucagon
Beta Insulin
Delta Somatostatin

Testing methods
SNOW DROP
Southern Dna
Northern Rna
O(nothing) O(nothing)
Western Protein

Carbohydrates orientation
In Fischer projections,
H-D (H is on the left when it is a D-isomer)
For cyclic saccharides,
On the first carbon,
Alpha is a H-OH (pronounced ho)H is on the top and OH is down
OH-H you beta work! OH is up and H is down

Operon
The OR (operating room )
The repressor binds to the operator, if necessary

To remember the electromagnetic spectrum

Gramma's Xbox Uses Volts In My Room

Gamma Xray Ultraviolet Visible Light Infrared Microwave Radio
It is in order of decreasing frequency/increasing wavelength
Psych/Soc
James Lange- I think of a lange (long) single file line so one thing follows another (Stimulus, physiological response, emotion)
Schaechter-Singer- I think that a singer has to think(use her brain) to remember the lyrics, so there is cognitive appraisal(using your brain) in addition to emotion

Last edited:
for polar/ hydrophilic amino acids --> water is polar and hydrophilic is water-soluble

Can't Not Quite StudYing Today
cysteine (C) , asparagine(N), glutamine (Q), serine(S), tyrosine (Y), threonine (T)