List of 10 TY programs too competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lesterfreamon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[ delete ] Scripps Mercy Hospital Program
San Diego, CA
Transitional Year
ACGME ID:9990500010
Transitional|1048999P0 (Preliminary)

[ delete ] Colorado Health Foundation Presbyterian-St Luke's Medical Center Program
Denver, CO
Transitional Year
ACGME ID:9990700017
Transitional|2065999P0 (Preliminary)

[ delete ] Presence Resurrection Medical Center Program
Chicago, IL
Transitional Year
ACGME ID:9991600207
Transitional|1937999P0 (Preliminary)

[ delete ] Indiana University School of Medicine/Methodist Hospital Program
Indianapolis, IN
Transitional Year
ACGME ID:9991700040
Transitional|1187999P0 (Preliminary)

[ delete ] Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Program
New York, NY
Transitional Year
ACGME ID:9993500241
Transitional|1466999P0 (Preliminary)

[ delete ] UPMC Medical Education (Presbyterian Shadyside Hospital) Program
Pittsburgh, PA
Transitional Year
ACGME ID:9994100117
Transitional|1657999P0 (Preliminary)

[ delete ] Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System Program
Spartanburg, SC
Transitional Year
ACGME ID:9994500182
Transitional|1685999P0 (Preliminary)

[ delete ] University of Texas Southwestern Medical School (Austin) Program
Austin, TX
Transitional Year
ACGME ID:9994800133
Transitional/Austin|2835999P0 (Preliminary)

[ delete ] Riverside Regional Medical Center Program
Newport News, VA
Transitional Year
ACGME ID:9995100170
Transitional|1739999P0 (Preliminary)

Members don't see this ad.

260+, junior aoa, but coming from an average school in georgia.

want to get out of the south but worried regional bias will hurt me

Your stats are about average... You have listed some of the most coveted programs that traditionally take top candidates from top schools. I would suggest throwing in a few more programs. It's wiser to spend the money now to over apply, then adding programs later on. Most prelim/TY programs looks at apps early and you may lose your chance by adding on programs later. You definitely don't want have to SOAP into a prelim program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are about average... You have listed some of the most coveted programs that traditionally take top candidates from top schools. I would suggest throwing in a few more programs. It's wiser to spend the money now to over apply, then adding programs later on. Most prelim/TY programs looks at apps early and you may lose your chance by adding on programs later. You definitely don't want have to SOAP into a prelim program.

Sheesh, 260 junior AOA is average. Maybe I should have applied to more programs too.

Thanks. I definitely applied to 10 prelim years as well on the off chance I don't even get an advanced position.

But I guess I will add in ~5 TYs or so, already payed $2700 for ERAS, a few more hundred won't mean much lol

I'm assuming dermione means average for the TY programs I selected?

Yep! your stats are great but some of the programs you listed are super competitive. For example MSK is very popular because of location and nice education + ancillary staff. They tend to get the best out of the best every year (Top schools, MD-PhDs, Doris Duke fellows, u name it). Resurrection, for instance, is very competitive because it is known to be one of the cushiest programs. Glad to hear you applied to other programs too, good luck with the match!

Reactions: 1 users
Sheesh, 260 junior AOA is average. Maybe I should have applied to more programs too.
Average for the TY programs listed - esp. MSK, Resurrection, etc.