List of Equal Partner Groups

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Howard888

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing from new grads that there are no more equal partner groups so I'm just taking a job with an AMC. This is a myth. I feel that a list of equal partner groups still out there would be nice for those grads. I realize there will be errors so please correct if necessary. I'll start: some of these I've heard and not as certain (please correct if wrong), some I know for sure. I have more but I'm not as certain. Want to see what else people put:

Atlantic Anesthesia -Virginia Beach
Associated Anesthesia - Tulsa, OK
Huntsville Anesthesia - Huntsville AL
Capitol Anesthesia - Austin, Texas
Anesthesia Services - Birmingham, AL
ECAA - Greenville, NC
STAR - San Antonio, TX
Greenville Anesthesia- Greenville, SC

I'll start there, will add more as people post

Members don't see this ad.

This should turn out to be a pretty short list.

Members don't see this ad :)
This should turn out to be a pretty short list.

Might be too long already since it includes groups with reputations for underpaying people on partnership tracks with no intention of ever making them partner then sending them out into the job market hundreds of thousands of dollars poorer than they would be at an AMC after a couple of years.

Just because the group has real partners and theoretically offers a partnership track doesn't mean they aren't going to screw you over.

In fairness these reputations may or may not be deserved. The only person I know personally who failed to make partner at an above group was an a hole who probably didn't deserve partnership. The reputation doesn't come from nowhere though.

Reactions: 1 user
You can add my group to the list. We are employed which may make it less appealing to many but we function as an independent group with equal partnership.

Majority of the groups in the Midwest. Just talked to a new grad and of those graduating and not entering academics...zero are working for an AMC, approx 40 percent are going to an employed model and the rest are going to PP groups all with chance for partnership in 2-3 yrs.

Might be too long already since it includes groups with reputations for underpaying people on partnership tracks with no intention of ever making them partner then sending them out into the job market hundreds of thousands of dollars poorer than they would be at an AMC after a couple of years.

Care to elaborate? Otherwise some poor sucker is going to walk into a screw job thinking it's SDN approved. I'm not familiar enough with any of the previous jobs except Roanoke, and it's legit.

Are you familiar with all of these or just going with your gut and the description? I've been hearing from recruiters and locum companies about one of those jobs for 12 years now.

Care to elaborate? Otherwise some poor sucker is going to walk into a screw job thinking it's SDN approved. I'm not familiar enough with any of the previous jobs except Roanoke, and it's legit.

Are you familiar with all of these or just going with your gut and the description? I've been hearing from recruiters and locum companies about one of those jobs for 12 years now.

Just playing on Gaswork, like I often do, fantasizing about moving to Montana.

wow...a lot of talking...all the groups in Midwest, etc. yet no one lists the name of a single group after I started this. I know there are way way more as I hear about them and people mention them. Not to mention statistically they are there. I wasn't 100% sure about the ones I mentioned but was pretty sure so I did

I mean come on help the new grads. Don't let AMCs have a fast track just because of lack of information

I know that knowing the name and getting a interview are two different things, but at least inform them.

wow...a lot of talking...all the groups in Midwest, etc. yet no one lists the name of a single group after I started this. I know there are way way more as I hear about them and people mention them. Not to mention statistically they are there. I wasn't 100% sure about the ones I mentioned but was pretty sure so I did

I mean come on help the new grads. Don't let AMCs have a fast track just because of lack of information

I know that knowing the name and getting a interview are two different things, but at least inform them.

People can figure it out for themselves. Being on a list like this that is short takes all the work out of it for people. I figure if people go to the trouble to actually figure out to call my group that says something about them.
We are not hurting for applicants.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
People can figure it out for themselves. Being on a list like this that is short takes all the work out of it for people. I figure if people go to the trouble to actually figure out to call my group that says something about them.
We are not hurting for applicants.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app
New grads can cold call a ton of groups and still not get the info they need. A predatory group will say whatever it takes to get you to sign their contract. I think a list like what OP is suggesting would have been helpful when I started my job search.

Cold calling doesn't work. It's like playing the lottery scratch-off tickets...sometimes you get lucky, but most of the time you are throwing a few dollars away. In this world it has nothing to do with what you know, but rather who you know. That's all.

Cold calling doesn't work. It's like playing the lottery scratch-off tickets...sometimes you get lucky, but most of the time you are throwing a few dollars away. In this world it has nothing to do with what you know, but rather who you know. That's all.
I second that about cold calling. It's rare to even get the right people on the phone who know anything about the practice. Most of the time it's billing people, or the OR desk people who seem clueless or can't find an anesthesiologist to speak to. I have cold called over 30 places and gotten only one interview. It sucks. I don't know anyone to connect me. I wasn't a stellar resident. I get my jobs off gasworks.

The Anesthesia Medical Group (TAMGI), Maui, Oahu, and Big Island, HI

It was my first job out of fellowship, but the hospital on Maui is getting bought by Kaiser Permanente, so who knows what the future holds for the group. I'm heading back to academics and closer to my family -- they all left Maui for the mainland almost 10 years ago.

I keep hearing from new grads that there are no more equal partner groups so I'm just taking a job with an AMC. This is a myth. I feel that a list of equal partner groups still out there would be nice for those grads. I realize there will be errors so please correct if necessary. I'll start: some of these I've heard and not as certain (please correct if wrong), some I know for sure. I have more but I'm not as certain. Want to see what else people put:

Atlantic Anesthesia -Virginia Beach
Associated Anesthesia - Tulsa, OK
Huntsville Anesthesia - Huntsville AL
Capitol Anesthesia - Austin, Texas
Anesthesia Services - Birmingham, AL
ECAA - Greenville, NC
STAR - San Antonio, TX
Greenville Anesthesia- Greenville, SC

I'll start there, will add more as people post

I have heard good things about STAR and you can add Tejas anesthesia to the list. I do wonder about CAA. In a previous post, you mentioned that the group wasn't popular among texas grads. In my experience, local grads tend to have the inside scoop on groups and if they are avoiding a rare partnership opportunity in the most desirable city in texas, there is something fishy about the job.

I guess they can always recruit out-of-state suckers haha

read the rest of that post...my info on the Austin group came from a texas program grad who checked out group but didn't get job. He said reputation wasn't great in his program but also that a couple people from his program hadn't made partner and that contributed to it. He also said he met way more people from out of state programs when he interviewed. Again, he said all the partners he met loved the group including young ones so I doubt they're suckers. He did say long buy in, so who knows. Only reason I mentioned them and the San Antonio groups is that there are still equal partner groups in big, popular cities.

Come on with regards to cold calling and I'm sure you have plenty of applicants, but most new grads don't get any info about groups unless they know someone who knows someone. Cold calling does not work. A list is useful at least to let them know there are other options than AMCs. But if I'm in the minority thinking this, hey let the AMCs have even more of a competitive edge.

I'll agree that cold calling is low yield, but it can and does work. I was sort of set on leaving CA after residency, and the outta state groups I had connections to didn't really appeal to me so I picked up the phone. I was offered 3 interviews based solely on my cold calls.

I think the reason this thread isn't really gaining any traction is because the equal partner groups tend to be high quality practices that have their pick of applicants. As I mentioned in the other thread, they ask around and cherry pick top residents from the programs they know, and have had good luck with in the past. The last thing they want is to suddenly get inundated with CV's from a bunch of randos when they may not even be hiring (good groups tend not to hire too often cuz nobody leaves unless they retire or die). That's why I'm not about to post the names of the premier groups in my area on a public forum.

Now that being said, I'm more than happy to discuss my local market in a private setting (i.e. PM) with those that express genuine interest, make some effort, and share what they are looking for. You wanna know about the West Coast, drop me a line. I think most of us on SDN feel the same way. You have a great resource here. Reach out to those in the areas you are interested in and make some connections if don't have any already.

Just asking for the names of the best groups to be served up on a silver platter comes across as lazy and entitled. "But I wanna good job toooo" (say it like Veruca Salt).

I think I know what he means. I used to work in a remote location and, before EMR, we were autonomous. We had a chief but, beyond that, you wouldn't have known we belonged to a big hospital. We decided about everything, as a group. We functioned with a PP mentality in an academic department. Our private surgeons loved working with us, our patients were happy, everybody was enjoying their work. Then the EMR came and, suddenly, the bean counters were able to see everything we were or not doing, and they managed to destroy the culture in less than a year, by imposing the big box hospital "values" and MO.

I'm in the Midwest and exist in one of these private practice groups alluded to. We have 10 docs, 20 something crna's that we employ and cover one hospital and two surgery centers. I'm fellowships trained in pain doing both anesthesia and pain (we do hearts, neuro, trauma, kids and everything else except transplants). I joined the group right out of fellowship with a one year partnership and really no buy in outside of starting salary of 250k for that first year (this was 2012/13). We are in the upper 90% of the MGMA for our region. We just hired another fellowship trained MD who was also made partner in one year (cardiac fellowship). Private practice groups with good, honest people do exist.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile