List of Programs That Terminate Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually agree w/a lot of LADoc's comments on this thread. I usually don't agree w/him this much.

I agree with the comment about medicine not being THAT hard. Provided someone has somewhat of the proper motivation and does not have totally horrible people skills, was smart enough to do decent on the USMLE, passed medical school, etc. I think he/she should be "trainable". It's not rocket science. It's not even as hard as being a Ph.D. It really isn't. I know a lot of PhD's. They actually have to have original ideas. We just have to work crap hours, be willing to work hard and be able to memorize a lot of crap and have some moderate problem solving skills. I don't know...to me med school was at least as hard as residency...we got beaten down and our exams were damn hard. I have such a hard time believing that anyone who could pass @my med school is too weak or incompetent to finish residency...then again I haven't heard of anyone from my school not finishing residency. There was one person who bailed on doing any residency and went straight to being a consultant, but that's it.

By the way, who got canned on Gray's Anatomy? Not the hot evil surgical resident, I hope? I'm still hoping he'll divorce his wife for me...LOL.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the comment about medicine not being THAT hard. Provided someone has somewhat of the proper motivation and does not have totally horrible people skills, was smart enough to do decent on the USMLE, passed medical school, etc. I think he/she should be "trainable". It's not rocket science. It's not even as hard as being a Ph.D. It really isn't. I know a lot of PhD's. They actually have to have original ideas

That is sort of what I suspected, if you pass the boards and are motivated enough to get through medical school you should do well in a residency if you give it decent effort.

Problem is that personality conflicts with attendings and all sorts of drama makes medicine difficult. It isn't working up a patient or ordering a test that makes medicine hard, its explaining to your supervisor why you did such and such, and then maybe getting reamed out for ten minutes for no good reason, or being harassed by nurses.

I think attendings need to make medicine hard, i.e. harsh evaluations and berating of residents, and kicking out at least a small percentage to give the appearance that medicine is very difficult. I think is done in part to justify high salaries of doctors and paternalistic attitudes, i.e. make the medical profession a bit of a mystery of why it is so hard, etc. . .

There were so many times when I have seen an attending or resident yell at subordinates for no good reason that I just wanted to say, "Why are you(we) making this process so difficult? Can't we just see the patients and get the work done without this bickering??"

In fact, DF is right, mostly doctors just need to assimilate large amounts of information and use it to treat patients in the most evidence based manner. This is not as hard as getting a PhD in that sense.

However, so many residents and attendings don't keep up to date with the current literature, and some don't really care about patients that there *is* a real difference in the quality of doctors, i.e. attendings and residents. However, I think that a lot of insecure attendings, and program directors, take out their deficiencies on their residents, and that resident evaluations are not necessarily based on skill.

I still think this thread is great as it gives people a heads up, I have done clinical rotations at not so good places, places that have bad reputations where residents quit, get fired, are harassed non-stop, and sometimes come back. These are the high drama places where you can get suck into a malignant atmosphere and start fighting with people.

Absolutely. It's amazing the perspective you get when you graduate get on the other side of match and start looking things with a few months experience. People worry about what field they are going to match to, what city they will be in, and even the academic reputation of the program. In the match - as in taking care of one's health - avoiding malignancy is pretty much the key to happiness.

At the malignant places people walk around like they are the guardians of the medical education system and have a block on their shoulder and basically love yelling at residents and students because they figure that they are saving lives by doing this, as well as by holding back some residents for minor reasons, maybe they are right in some cases, but a lot of times they do a lot of damage to people around them and just make the residency a worse place to work.

At nice places people have lives they are satisfied with and do a lot mentoring of residents, whereas at other places the only thing that matters is the evaluation, not the teaching process that resulted in the evaluation.

Wise words.

The medical field also needs more oversight. It's not an elite community in the 1800's anymore and the abuses need to be eliminated and not thought of as "part of the game".

Reactions: 1 users
(..)the abuses need to be eliminated and not thought of as "part of the game".
What does need actually mean? Who needs what? If the hospitals themselves needed less abuse, or had any benefit in less abuse, it seems strange that the game layout still puts the residents at a disadvantage, necessitating playing the "under the radar" game.

I see colleagues in this thread who point to graduates with personality disorders. The logic seems to be moral manipulation; that residents should sympathize more with the patients need to be treated by doctors without any mental issues than sympathize with those who are terminated.

First, I'd like to see the link between what personality disorder, in what magnitude, has which impact on patient care. And then finally, what is the relation between how personality disordered doctors are weeded out, and the parameters used for measuring patient care. I think those of you supporting the licensure system as a necessity, should be forced to cough up quantifiable answers to those questions.

I would not be surprised if the overall process of rendering doctors has high sensitivity, and low specificity. My impression from online stories, stories of colleagues, and own experience with few, but nevertheless some doctors and nurses, is that you are never guaranteed to stay clear of trouble. If you are too meek, nurses will eat you up. If you are too firm, some nurse will always find a situation where she can complain about something to her superior, which is bound to have a better relation to upstairs than yourself. If you don't confront, you can't clear out misunderstandings. If you confront, you might reveal that the misunderstandings were partly caused by the nurse/other doc, which violates the #1 rule of not stepping on other ppls toes. No matter how friendly your tone may be. You can a.l.w.a.y.s. get F***ED.

And like aprogdir says, if you are unlucky enough, it gets self-perpetuating. Taste the word; "unlucky." Wow... is your feeling of responsibility high enough to support a system where chance can ruin your career, and leave you with no job and major debt?

I understand why hospitals have an interest in keeping the threshold for getting rid of wrongful hirings as low as possible, but this is not in the interest of residents. The alternative is to get rid of licensure altogether. That way, hospitals could fire doctors for wearing the wrong tie for all I care. Patient care is easily monitored in hospitals, and crappy docs could get tossed out. The downside is no regulation of those in private practice. I am willing to accept that, to escape the crappiness of the current system, not inventing any pseudomorality to legitimize it, beyond my own egotistical wishes. I wish more would feel the same. Maybe the terrorist-residency-regimes would crumble, then.

Last edited:
The general public would not accept a system with no medical licensure...in fact, the trend is toward MORE requirements, not less, being required to actually practice. It's actually getting hard to practice without being board certified in something. Also the state medical boards are under pressure to investigate more complaints against docs and dole out harsher sentences.
I can't say I support getting rid of medical licensure, because then we become not a profession, but a collection of people doing whatever we want...you'd have a lot of quacks running around. Unfortunately, you only have to look at the situations of people like Michael Jackson and Anna Nicole Smith to see that there are some sh*tty docs out there. Unfortunately, the rest of us all have to suffer due to that. I think that rather than getting rid of licensure, it should be made easier for residents to leave a bad program or one where they just don't fit in. The RRC, etc. also need to figure out a better, truly anonymous way for residents to report their programs for doing bad things. Currently, the house staff are still too much under the boot heels of their hospitals, programs and sometimes the PD.

What does need actually mean? Who needs what? If the hospitals themselves needed less abuse, or had any benefit in less abuse, it seems strange that the game layout still puts the residents at a disadvantage, necessitating playing the "under the radar" game.

I see colleagues in this thread who point to graduates with personality disorders. The logic seems to be moral manipulation; that residents should sympathize more with the patients need to be treated by doctors without any mental issues than sympathize with those who are terminated.

First, I'd like to see the link between what personality disorder, in what magnitude, has which impact on patient care. And then finally, what is the relation between how personality disordered doctors are weeded out, and the parameters used for measuring patient care. I think those of you supporting the licensure system as a necessity, should be forced to cough up quantifiable answers to those questions.

I would not be surprised if the overall process of rendering doctors has high sensitivity, and low specificity. My impression from online stories, stories of colleagues, and own experience with few, but nevertheless some doctors and nurses, is that you are never guaranteed to stay clear of trouble. If you are too meek, nurses will eat you up. If you are too firm, some nurse will always find a situation where she can complain about something to her superior, which is bound to have a better relation to upstairs than yourself. If you don't confront, you can't clear out misunderstandings. If you confront, you might reveal that the misunderstandings were partly caused by the nurse/other doc, which violates the #1 rule of not stepping on other ppls toes. No matter how friendly your tone may be. You can a.l.w.a.y.s. get F***ED.

And like aprogdir says, if you are unlucky enough, it gets self-perpetuating. Taste the word; "unlucky." Wow... is your feeling of responsibility high enough to support a system where chance can ruin your career, and leave you with no job and major debt?

I understand why hospitals have an interest in keeping the threshold for getting rid of wrongful hirings as low as possible, but this is not in the interest of residents. The alternative is to get rid of licensure altogether. That way, hospitals could fire doctors for wearing the wrong tie for all I care. Patient care is easily monitored in hospitals, and crappy docs could get tossed out. The downside is no regulation of those in private practice. I am willing to accept that, to escape the crappiness of the current system, not inventing any pseudomorality to legitimize it, beyond my own egotistical wishes. I wish more would feel the same. Maybe the terrorist-residency-regimes would crumble, then.
That was an epic deviation from the direct statement.

So you don't think more oversight is required in medicine, especially at the residency level, so residents are not exploited and afraid to cross that "white coat of silence" for fear of career suicide?

I think that a lot of insecure attendings, and program directors, take out their deficiencies on their residents, and that resident evaluations are not necessarily based on skill.

Well said! I am more and more convinced that a certain personality type is required to be a program director (for the most part; exceptions to the rule are certain to be present), and that it is certain issues beyond residency itself that expresses itself by these "leaders" and makes for malignant programs. There's an awful lot of politics at that level and sadly the fallout falls on the heads of innocent residents (more often than a program is willing to admit) who unwittingly failed to get out of the way, as it were.

Sacred Heart Hospital fired an intern last year, and it had nothing to do with patient care! He just couldnt answer a medical question asked by an attending and was fired on the spot. Furthermore, the attending in question has been know to be abusive, loud, obnoxious, abrasive, insulting, argumentative, name-calling, and discriminatory, amongst other complaints. Definitely avoid Sacred Heart like the plague!

Reactions: 1 users
So you don't think more oversight is required in medicine, especially at the residency level, so residents are not exploited and afraid to cross that "white coat of silence" for fear of career suicide?
You are arguing against your own straw man.

I don't think oversight has a net gain for me, or those I sympathize with. I think it inevitably puts me in a position where I have more to lose showing what I am bad at, that gaining by having other doctors help me fill the gaps. This is unavoidable as long as there is a mandatory residency period to get your licence.

1. University of Chicago - Anesthesiology - I received message that the program has extended training of several residents in the last few years and fired one resident who ended up going to the Cleveland Clinic program where they did well.

2. Beth Israel in Boston - OB/GYN - I received message that a resident was terminated due to issues with an attending about 5 years ago and that the resident went to another program and did well.

3. Ochsner General Surgery - post above reports 2 residents were terminated in their 3rd yr of residency d/t failing Step 3 > 2x each and not being able to pass it by the required PGY-3 year.

4. University of Mississippi General Surgery - message received that PGY4 resident dismissed last year, reportedly due to anger management issues.

5. Johns Hopkins General Surgery - PGY3 resident terminated allegedly due to mental health issues. (see link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=660565 )

6. VCU-Shenandoah Valley Family Practice Residency - reportedly PGY1 resident notified of contract non-renewal, resident appealed and was placed on probation, subsequently resigned - (see link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=658953 )

7. Cleveland Clinic Neurosurgery - reportedly terminate a resident about every year (see above post)

8. Southern Illinois University Internal Medicine - received message that they terminated a resident.

9. Rapid City Family Medicine - received message that they have terminated a handful of residents over the past 3 or 4 years.

10. Providence Family Medicine in Olympia, WA - received message that they fired a resident last year.

11. Spokane Internal Medicine - received message that they reportedly terminated one last year as well.

12. Univ of Texas San Antonio Internal Medicine - received message that they seems to fire one out of each class or so.

13. Franklin Sq Hospital in Baltimore Internal Medicine - received message that program seems to fire one resident every year.

Last edited:
I have been forced to resign after 3 weeks in PGY-2 Family medicine( Joined as a second year)bec ,not a good fit in their program. I am applying again. My PD didnt give me a letter except my resignation letter. What reasons should I give for leaving.My question is what are the reasons that are acceptable by other programs. every body asks a letter from my PD. what should I tell them?

It would be extremely uncommon for someone to be terminated/resign in 3 weeks. This suggests a very serious problem or concern. With only 3 weeks of work, I doubt I could write much of a letter for anyone. Future PD's are going to wonder why you resigned after 3 weeks. The reasons you should give for leaving are the truth. "Not a good fit" is a euphamism for something else. If you really were simply not a good fit, you could have finished out the year and then moved on. When I see someone dropping out of a program in a very short timeframe, I think that either: 1) they had a misconduct issue that required immediate termination, or 2) their academic performance was horrible, or 3) there was a family/personal emergency that required their full and immediate attention, or 4) there was a visa problem (although this usually prevents employment in the first place, rather than stopping it mid stream).

No one is going to buy "not a good fit". That's like "it's not you, it's me" which we all know means "It's you".

It seems like he should not even tell that he was at the 2nd fm residency.
I mean, doing intern year at one place and then only 3 weeks of PGY2 at some other place is going to be a big red flag when reapplying. I guess it's not totally honest, but could he get away with just leaving out this 3 week stretch of PGY2? It doesn't seem that he accomplished much in those 3 weeks anyway, and certainly nothing he'll get an LOR out of.

I have been dismissed from residency and now have some interviews, please tell me what I should say in my next interview? Thanks

It seems like he should not even tell that he was at the 2nd fm residency.
I mean, doing intern year at one place and then only 3 weeks of PGY2 at some other place is going to be a big red flag when reapplying. I guess it's not totally honest, but could he get away with just leaving out this 3 week stretch of PGY2? It doesn't seem that he accomplished much in those 3 weeks anyway, and certainly nothing he'll get an LOR out of.

Leaving out that you had a job and was terminated can be considered application fraud, and if discovered can lead to immediate termination. I agree it's a red flag, but I would not consider leaving it out.

I have been dismissed from residency and now have some interviews, please tell me what I should say in my next interview? Thanks

I recommend the truth. Tell them why you were terminated, and most importantly what you have learned from this and why it will not happen again.

[think that either: 1) they had a misconduct issue that required immediate termination, or 2) their academic performance was horrible, or 3) there was a family/personal emergency that required their full and immediate attention, or 4) there was a visa problem (although this usually prevents employment in the first place, rather than stopping it mid stream).

No one is going to buy "not a good fit". That's like "it's not you, it's me" which we all know means "It's you".[/QUOTE]
Dear A pd
thank you for quick reply.
Can I email you with the details and get your advice on how much possibility is there to get another residency. what can be con to improve my cv.Do I still have chances in this ERAS, match process 2010.Am I too late in the game?

Last edited:
unlucky, if i were you i'd consider editing your posts. You are still in a position where your pd can have a big influence on your future; i wouldn't go calling him/her out so specifically. Esp since you basically just killed any semblance of anonymity.
thank you. I did. Any more suggestions please.

thank you. I did. Any more suggestions please.

I don't see where you edited your post to remove the identifying characteristics. It still states your PG level, program type and how you were terminated. Pretty easy to figure out if your PD reads this that its you.

Anyone quoting you needs to remove the quotes as well.

I don't see where you edited your post to remove the identifying characteristics. It still states your PG level, program type and how you were terminated. Pretty easy to figure out if your PD reads this that its you.

Anyone quoting you needs to remove the quotes as well.
then How can I get help with out any details.I need help an dsuggestions badly at this time, other wise I dont have any bad intention to bad mouth my program. thank you.I will try to edit the other posts too

Amanbano,
Did you mention about your dismissal in CAF ,ERAS,how many months of experiance was that?.I am in the same boat.

then How can I get help with out any details.I need help an dsuggestions badly at this time, other wise I dont have any bad intention to bad mouth my program. thank you.I will try to edit the other posts too

Well you could have left out details about the type of residency, your year, why you were terminated or you could have posted in the Confidential Consult forum.

I know its difficult, because if you leave everything out, then people feel like they can't help.

Well you could have left out details about the type of residency, your year, why you were terminated or you could have posted in the Confidential Consult forum.

I know its difficult, because if you leave everything out, then people feel like they can't help.
can you please tell me how to post a confidential consult forum. this is the first time I am using this web site. and how can I delete or the quotes.

can you please tell me how to post a confidential consult forum. this is the first time I am using this web site. and how can I delete or the quotes.

You simply go there and post. Then I will approve it as I have the chance and post it without your username. However, at this point, I'm not sure what the benefit of that would be to you since you've already gotten responses. Winged Scapula was indicating that posting there was an option for you previously.

I haven't been getting any new information from anyone for months but I did get an email today that caused me to want to try and revive this thread.

What did the email say?

It was from a resident who had been IMO unfairly put on probation by his program. Hopefully he will not get terminated.

Last edited:
1. University of Chicago - Anesthesiology - I received message that the program has extended training of several residents in the last few years and fired one resident who ended up going to the Cleveland Clinic program where they did well.

2. Beth Israel in Boston - OB/GYN - I received message that a resident was terminated due to issues with an attending about 5 years ago and that the resident went to another program and did well.

3. Ochsner General Surgery - post above reports 2 residents were terminated in their 3rd yr of residency d/t failing Step 3 > 2x each and not being able to pass it by the required PGY-3 year.

4. University of Mississippi General Surgery - message received that PGY4 resident dismissed last year, reportedly due to anger management issues.

5. Johns Hopkins General Surgery - PGY3 resident terminated allegedly due to mental health issues. (see link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=660565 )

6. VCU-Shenandoah Valley Family Practice Residency - reportedly PGY1 resident notified of contract non-renewal, resident appealed and was placed on probation, subsequently resigned - (see link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=658953 )

7. Cleveland Clinic Neurosurgery - reportedly terminate a resident about every year (see above post)

8. Southern Illinois University Internal Medicine - received message that they terminated a resident.

9. Rapid City Family Medicine - received message that they have terminated a handful of residents over the past 3 or 4 years.

10. Providence Family Medicine in Olympia, WA - received message that they fired a resident last year.

11. Spokane Internal Medicine - received message that they reportedly terminated one last year as well.

12. Univ of Texas San Antonio Internal Medicine - received message that they seems to fire one out of each class or so.

13. Franklin Sq Hospital in Baltimore Internal Medicine - received message that program seems to fire one resident every year.

14. Indiana University Internal Medicine - received message that the program terminated a resident last year who is now doing well at another program.

15. University of Tennessee Chattanooga - received message that an OB/GYN resident was terminated and at least two other terminations/nonrenewals are pending in other programs.
update

Last edited:
I have gotten an email from an SDN administrator that it is not appropriate to post volatile topics and this thread has been classified as a volatile topic so I will signoff on this thread.
Good luck to those who are facing residency termination and similar issues.

I have gotten an email from an SDN administrator that it is not appropriate to post volatile topics and this thread has been classified as a volatile topic so I will signoff on this thread.

Did programs (esp. those on the list) wine about it? Where is freedom of speech? It was not like that people were discussing some sort of conspiracy theories.

What is going on here???? I thought this was SDN not Pleasantville??? Oh, I get it....let's just pretend that everything is dandy and fine in medicine land and look the other way....maybe then everything will be all okey dokey!!!!

ExPCM has misunderstood the message from SDN Administration. I do not know the exact content of the PM sent to him but was involved in in discussions about the issue.

Posting volatile topics is not a TOS violation and users are not prevented from posting such. They are asked to follow the TOS which does prohibit posting topics for the express intent of trolling, flaming or harassing users. Posting multiple threads in mutiple forums, even when wildly off topic or not relevant to the forum, is considered a TOS violation. Numerous complaints have been made by other users about this activity...not about the content of the threads per se.

No one was asked not to post in this thread or to pretent that everything is "hunky-dory". Users are asked to stick to the topics relevant to the forum they are posted in, to not go into specialty forums with the express intent to harass the users there about their specialty and to in general, incite flame wars.

I'd ask users to not assume everything another member has told them is necessarily true; which is the case here. SDN is not censoring any users; they are simply being asked to follow the TOS and not use SDN as a personal soapbox, alientating other users.

In this example the facts speak for themselves. They fire 1-4 residents every year and only accept 10!

Applicants beware...

A psychiatry program in Illinois non-renewed three residents within the first half of 2008-2009: one PGY IV and two PGY I's.

In reponse to ariee,
I know a resident who got terminated who was a very good resident, and had crazy high board scores and in service exam scores, and was NOT incompetent. And no, it was not me. This was totally due to a personality conflict and NOTHING else.

I also know another person who damn near got fired, and I seriously, seriously doubt he sucked as a resident, based on knowing him in medical school. I think he just got on the wrong side of 1 or 2 faculty who were powerful, and that was just about the end of that.

You can believe what you want, but there are clinically sucky residents who graduate with really no significant black marks on their evaluation, and there are clinically good residents who treat their patients well and are generally OK people, but get canned because they get on the wrong side of a particular person(s) who has power. Thank God it never happened to me, but it does happen...

I don't have any doubts that there are people who get canned b/c they can't hack it, but I'd personally want to stay away from any program that has fired people more than once in a blue moon. It either means the teaching isn't good, or they can't attract a good crew of residents, or the faculty are hard to get long with.

Cox Family Medicine in Springfield, MO

3 residents fired between 2009-2010

A psychiatry program in Illinois non-renewed three residents within the first half of 2008-2009: one PGY IV and two PGY I's.

Isn't psychiatry a 4 year program? Why would it matter if the PGY IV was not renewed -- s/he would have been done?

I've read through this entire thread, and although I'm not in medicine the thought of being terminated as a resident is very scary. Are most resident's medical careers over if they are terminated? APD said that most of his/her residents were able to go to another program, but surely everyone isn't so lucky? After so many years of schooling and training, it's terrifying to think it can just come to an end like that.

Ive never been to a program that DIDNT terminate residents. I would very well hope there are some standards trainees are held accountable for.

I wouldnt want to part of a program that simply rubberstamped everyone.

Ive never been to a program that DIDNT terminate residents. I would very well hope there are some standards trainees are held accountable for.

That's certainly true. Wouldn't you agree though that if the termination rate is high then the chances are correspondingly higher that a program is malignant and/or admits sub-standard residents to start with?

I hear univ of maryland ob/gyn terminates residents quite often...not sure how true this is.

Don't you think that a program that has to fire a couple of residents on a regular basis is a program that

- needs a new method of evaluating and ranking applicants so they can stop hiring the wrong people all the time

- shows a callous disregard for the eventual fate of the people involved?

14. Forbes Family Practice in Monroeville PA - reportedly fired 4 residents in past 3 years - see above post.

15. St. Mary Medical Center in Long Beach Internal Medicine--received message of 2 terminated in 3 years, possible PD blackballing to prevent them working anywhere else.

14. Forbes Family Practice in Monroeville PA - reportedly fired 4 residents in past 3 years - see above post.

15. St. Mary Medical Center in Long Beach Internal Medicine--received message of 2 terminated in 3 years, possible PD blackballing to prevent them working anywhere else.

16. Kaiser-San Francisco Internal Medicine--at least one terminated, also rampant favoritism by the faculty according to message

I appreciate your honest feedback. But I disagree to some extent.
2. Of the people I have had to terminate, I helped all of them get back on their feet in a new training program. As mentioned, one person failed to do their part and hence ended up with nothing (although has now started training in another program). The other two were successful in their new programs. No one's career came to an end.

Guilt + Egotism + Conscious + Good heart = PD

sorry for the above experimentation,,; At last I got it

From what I've read, terminations of residents tend not to be evenly distributed throughout all residency programs. It appears that the majority of terminations come from certain programs that have a history of such events.

It would be wise for applicants to avoid programs that have histories of terminating residents because such histories indicate many negative things about those programs:

1. The caliber of resident in those programs is low (good residents probably will not get fired)

2. The caliber of teaching is low (good teaching helps make good residents)

3. The pride the program has in its "products", so to speak, is low (nobody wants to discredit their own kind unless they care nothing of their own reputations)

4. The program may be malignant (such environments breed both poor residents and poor staff/resident interactions, which could facilitate firing based on personal vendettas)

5. Residents are more likely to be fired from those programs than from others (no kidding, but without transparency in these issues, it would be best to avoid programs that do terminate, solely because the reasons for termination might be petty, and such events might repeat themselves in the future)

Carillion clinic roanoke virginia family med they have a pgy-2 slot come up every year for the last several years theres gotta be a problem there