About the ads

List of retina fellowships?

Discussion in 'Ophthalmology: Eye Physicians & Surgeons' started by Toadkiller Dog, Jan 14, 2008.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Toadkiller Dog

Toadkiller Dog Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Does anyone know where one can find a list of current retina fellowships? The SF match website apparently no longer lets you view them unless you are currently registered. How lame.
  2. westernmed007

westernmed007

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I too would like said list
  3. Toadkiller Dog

Toadkiller Dog Senior Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Wow. Almost 300 views and no one knows where to find the list?

Maybe one of you newly matched 4th year students could log into the SFMatch website, and copy and paste the list here! Would be much appreciated by your future colleagues. :)
  4. MAYOphtho

MAYOphtho

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    the name is "ophthalmology" and the password is "applicant" for SFMatch.org

not sure where to look specifically for what you need....but good luck
  5. MAYOphtho

MAYOphtho

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Here is one thing I just noticed on the SFMatch website for Fellowships

"About the Match

The Match takes place in December and will be used to process all applicants who want to start their fellowship training in July of the following year. There is $50 non-refundable registration fee that covers registration and matching. To participate in the match, simply complete our on-line registration form and submit your payment. Once registered, applicants will receive email confirmation and additional information on Matching procedures.
    There is no Centralized Application Service available for Fellowships. Applicants should contact each program individually for application materials and procedures. "

So I dont know if there is a list of retina fellowships for sure.
  6. JMK2005

JMK2005 Member

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Also try this,

username: ophthalmologyf
    password: applicant

It was given to me when I emailed the sfmatch regarding the directory for fellowships.
  7. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    I once heard a newly graduated fellow mention that although there are many surgical retina programs in the country, there are only about 10 that are worth your time. Anyone have any thoughts on this or heard similar comments?

In the retina community, it seems that people value training at a place that with a reputation or with reknowned staff. However, I never seem to hear about any "hidden gems" or programs that might not have name recognition but still provide good training in the form of good mentorship, surgical volume, and autonomy. This forum does a great job at sharing this information about residency programs, but I often wonder if these reputations can be extrapolated to the fellowship programs.
  8. smiegal

smiegal Member

SDN 7+ Year Member
    Only 10 fellowships "worth your time?" Having recently completed the retina fellowship interview circuit, I can confidently say that most applicants would disagree with that perspective. Depending on what you're looking for, there are at least 20 solid programs.
  9. FlyingDoc

FlyingDoc Junior Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    And those would be???
  10. retinasurgeon

retinasurgeon VR surgeon

Attending Physician
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    This is a very tough question, naming the best 20 programs in vitreo-retinal surgical fellowships. It would really depend on how you would make your fellowship training. Getting as much "hands-on" on surgical cases were deemed to be the best indicator for an excellent program, but now, I guess aiming for a good research component would also be nice, if you are going to the academe after training.

I really cannot name specific programs, but there are programs out there that are really not up to standards. This is the reason why the ASRS is discussing possible subspecialty certification or at least, uniform retina fellowship training thru AUPO guidelines
  11. Caffeinated

Caffeinated Army Strong

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member

That's good to hear. Perhaps you and others would be willing to do a retina fellowship review of programs (similar to the way candidates share their impression of residency programs)? I realize that retina is a smaller community, and you might not feel comfortable sharing your thoughts openly. If that's the case, perhaps the comments could be channeled through the forum moderator and posted as one long review? Just some thoughts.
  12. PDT4CNV

PDT4CNV Physician/Surgeon

Fellow [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Read this, you can PM me with questions if you like.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=296453