List of unaccerdited programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DynamicDidactic

Still Kickin'
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The recent discussions got me thinking. What are the most common unaccredited professional programs?

Outside of the one mentioned recently what are the other large unaccredited programs? Not sure if I want to advertise those programs on this site. So, if you know of any or have a good source, feel free to message me.

Members don't see this ad.

Walden U
University of Rockies, or something like that
University of the Cumberlands

The recent discussions got me thinking. What are the most common unaccredited professional programs?

Outside of the one mentioned recently what are the other large unaccredited programs? Not sure if I want to advertise those programs on this site. So, if you know of any or have a good source, feel free to message me.

Being unregulated, it's probably impossible to pin that down. The best data are probably the APPIC match data by program (http://www.appic.org/Portals/0/downloads/APPIC_Match_Rates_2000-10_by_Univ.pdf) and then you can just look up the known unaccredited programs. This would miss all unaccredited programs in Cali that only send people to CAPIC (who do not release their data like APPIC does) as well as all unaccredited programs that don't bother with APPIC at all and just have everyone d non-APA, non-APPIC internships.

In my paper with John Williamson, only one unaccredited program was an outlier. I don't think unaccredited programs represent the most serious aspect of the problem. (Edit: Yup, DD is right-- they do not represent a huge problem with respect to the internship crisis but they are a huge problem for the field in general, public image, etc.)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Are you wondering about schools that are unaccredited and have no intention of ever becoming unaccredited? Or schools that are in the process of getting accredited? Or both?

I don't think unaccredited programs represent the most serious aspect of the problem.
This is the question I would be most interested in testing.

I was reading an article in the NYT (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/upshot/is-college-worth-it-clearly-new-data-say.html?_r=0) and thinking that it would be interesting to see the monetary cost vs. benefit of expensive graduate training in professional psychology. It would seem that the unaccredited programs would be most expensive and least enriching monetarily after graduation (if one makes it that far). Particularly for many of the graduates that are unable to achieve licensure at the doctoral level.

Just a thought.

I think it also depends on how we're defining "serious aspect of the problem." I'd agree with MCParent that the unaccredited programs probably aren't contributing much if we're talking about the internship imbalance. Quite frankly, these folks just aren't going to be competitive for APA-accredited internships. But if we're talking about degradation of our professional image (with our patients, other providers, and the general public), then I think the unaccredited programs are definitely a HUGE problem. Even if these graduates aren't eligible to be licensed as psychologists, I'd imagine they're still going to be likely to report that their "doctorate" is in psychology.

The accredited diploma mill-type programs of course also contribute to this problem, as people may then say to themselves, "well hey, the programs these folks graduated from are accredited, so they must be at least somewhat representative of psychologists as a whole."

Reactions: 2 users
This list (along with programs in danger of losing accreditation/suspect programs) should become a sticky thread.

Add Capella to that list. I love how their website touts their regional accreditation as being sooo important, yet fails to mention that their program isn't accredited by...you know...the main national accrediting body. :rolleyes:

Also, just in case anyone is curious, Capella's APA match rate over the past 7 cohorts is...wait for it...5%. That's taken from their own website.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't Fielding lose accreditation or am I thinking of something else?

Members don't see this ad :)
Fielding has a cohort model and they have a mentor and meet once a month over an extended weekend Friday-Monday while taking one course per month.

They are now fully accredited by APA again. Mostly non traditional students who work full time. Seems that they have some theology emphasis as many of their students are minister or have a religion training.

I believe Capella is the only online PhD/PsyD program. Walden is similar to Fielding. Walden has many Military and Foreign students where APA accreditation is not necessary to acquire certification or licensure in their country.

Most of the online program are MA Counseling programs or EdD Counseling program for individuals already licensed as LPC.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Just my personal opinion: the fact that APA would accredit a program that has students who meet once monthly, who take one course at a time, and who are able to concurrently work full-time does nothing to increase my confidence in them.

Reactions: 4 users
Just my personal opinion: the fact that APA would accredit a program that has students who meet once monthly, who take one course at a time, and who are able to concurrently work full-time does nothing to increase my confidence in them.

They meet the APA curriculum credit hour requirements since most graduate courses in traditional program courses only meet once a week for three hours. Four days of 6-8 hours per day is probably more intensive study than many programs.

I believe course schedules may vary similar to traditional programs where you have a heavy load of classroom courses the first two years and then take comps. The remaining years are practicum and dissertation completion.

For non traditional students it may be a good option, but may not be the best option for all students.

My opinion is that it is good to have options for non traditional students in respect for diversity requirements. Fielding wouldn't be the first option for some students, but apparently they are for other students.

Since Fielding is accredited, they should not be identified in a thread about unaccredited programs...:)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
They meet the APA curriculum credit hour requirements since most graduate courses in traditional program courses only meet once a week for three hours. Four days of 6-8 hours per day is probably more intensive study than many programs.

I believe course schedules may vary similar to traditional programs where you have a heavy load of classroom courses the first two years and then take comps. The remaining years are practicum and dissertation completion.

For non traditional students it may be a good option, but may not be the best option for all students.

My opinion is that it is good to have options for non traditional students in respect for diversity requirements. Fielding wouldn't be the first option for some students, but apparently they are for other students.

Since Fielding is accredited, they should not be identified in a thread about unaccredited programs...:)

Posted using SDN Mobile

Okay- maybe we need a thread for programs that *should* be unaccredited then...

Reactions: 1 users
I think CUNY John Jay is not APA-accredited. Breaks my little heart.

APA, regional accreditation is almost a non-factor at this level.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm proud to say that in Canada we have 0 online schools and 0 private, or for-profit schools accredited. All the Uni's are research institutions and well regarded. To be fair, we don't have that many private schools in general.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm proud to say that in Canada we have 0 online schools and 0 private, or for-profit schools accredited. All the Uni's are research institutions and well regarded. To be fair, we don't have that many private schools in general.

Not quite true, sadly, though we do have far fewer for-profit schools compared to the US.

For example--Adler has a Vancouver campus, though, and Yorkville University has an...interesting... online model for Master's level studies. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more of these begin to show up. Everyone wants to make money, after all.

Not quite true, sadly, though we do have far fewer for-profit schools compared to the US.

For example--Adler has a Vancouver campus, though, and Yorkville University has an...interesting... online model for Master's level studies. I wouldn't be surprised if more and more of these begin to show up. Everyone wants to make money, after all.

Yeah, we have some..but as you said way way less than America. But the main point none of those are accredited programs.

The main thing as well is that Canada-wide we are almost in agreement that standards should be raised..Masters level provinces upgrading to Phd requirements. Provinces on the whole don't accept online degrees. For example, in Nova Scotia there are Masters level Psychologists but they have specific rules that it can not be an online degree. You have Saskatchewan who also has Masters level, but they have extra examinations that give you the right to diagnose. So you have many Masters level people that don't have the right to diagnose. And CPA does a great job of accreditation..none of the bad programs are accredited.

The main thing as well is that Canada-wide we are almost in agreement that standards should be raised..Masters level provinces upgrading to Phd requirements. Provinces on the whole don't accept online degrees. For example, in Nova Scotia there are Masters level Psychologists but they have specific rules that it can not be an online degree. You have Saskatchewan who also has Masters level, but they have extra examinations that give you the right to diagnose. So you have many Masters level people that don't have the right to diagnose. And CPA does a great job of accreditation..none of the bad programs are accredited.

The provinces that want to raise requirements to get licensed are the ones that already require PhD level training. I don't see Alberta trying to raise requirements (they allow those with masters to practice). BC, however wants Alberta to raise their requirements because people back door their way into BC by getting licensed in Alberta with a masters and then moving to BC and the college of psychologists has to allow them to practice due to mobility provisions. Annoying for those of us who work to get the full PhD credentials.

The provinces that want to raise requirements to get licensed are the ones that already require PhD level training. I don't see Alberta trying to raise requirements (they allow those with masters to practice). BC, however wants Alberta to raise their requirements because people back door their way into BC by getting licensed in Alberta with a masters and then moving to BC and the college of psychologists has to allow them to practice due to mobility provisions. Annoying for those of us who work to get the full PhD credentials.
Sure. Alberta is the outlier, and they are the most conservative Canadian province, so not a shocker. They just aren't into regulating as much.

A good number of Canadians attend doctoral programs in the U.S. that are non APA accredited and then return to work as registered psychologists in Canada.

A good number of Canadians attend doctoral programs in the U.S. that are non APA accredited and then return to work as registered psychologists in Canada.
Sure. They would be able to in Alberta, as that province allows Masters level and online. But aside from that province, most provinces don't allow that.

(Edit: Yup, DD is right-- they do not represent a huge problem with respect to the internship crisis but they are a huge problem for the field in general, public image, etc.)

Just to clarify, they're probably only a problem in terms of public image, not necessarily in terms of lowering the quality of clinicians, since they're likely unlicensed outside of california, right? Do CAPIC (i think that's what its called) internships qualify for licensure elsewhere? Semi related: why doesnt California take care of that mess?

Just to clarify, they're probably only a problem in terms of public image, not necessarily in terms of lowering the quality of clinicians, since they're likely unlicensed outside of california, right? Do CAPIC (i think that's what its called) internships qualify for licensure elsewhere? Semi related: why doesnt California take care of that mess?

AFAIK, CAPIC but not APA accredited would limit someone to whatever options do not require an APA internship. They likely qualify for licensure to the same extent that other non-APA-accredited internships do, but I believe it doesn't give any additional advantage outside of CA.

Actually, what advantages does CAPIC give even within CA? I don't know much about it.

Actually, what advantages does CAPIC give even within CA? I don't know much about it.

It offers a way for someone to finish their degree and have it granted (assuming the program accepts a non-APA-acred. internship site). I'm still not a fan of the alternative route because it does nothing but encourage people to circumvent APPIC if it becomes too competitive.

Isn't that the case generally outside of CA (as most programs allow non-accredited, or at least may allow it if faculty approve)? Does CAPIC offer more employment opportunities in CA compared to non-CAPIC?

Isn't that the case generally outside of CA (as most programs allow non-accredited, or at least may allow it if faculty approve)? Does CAPIC offer more employment opportunities in CA compared to non-CAPIC?

Not really. You can't work as a psychologist for Kaiser if you did not complete an APA or APPIC internship. I believe this may have been a relatively recent decision, in the past few years or so in regards to Kaiser changing its internship requirements. I had a friend who for personal reasons ended up having to complete a CAPIC internship and and she applied for a Kasier post-doc and was told that she was not eligible for it because of her CAPIC internship.