List of Unfilled Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WuMedic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current M3 and working on my list of residencies to apply to (in emergency medicine) and rounding out my VSAS/away applications. Does anyone know where I can find a list of spots that went unfilled this year/previous years? I'm curious as if to any of these programs I'm looking at had unfilled spots.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To add to what @gutonc said, there were only 8 unfilled EM positions this year. 5 of the positions were actually in a single program*, and the other 3 programs had 1 spot each. EM in general is getting more competitive. A better strategy would be to determine what tier of program you will be competitive for, and then set up away rotations based on your geographic preferences.

*the program with 5 spots unfilled, while not a very "desirable" program, historically has had no issues filling it's class. Someone in the program messed up this cycle and they just didn't interview enough (or the right combination of) applicants. I would not count on this program having unfilled spots next cycle. This info is from the NRMP data reports that were made available on match day to all applicants from this cycle. I'm not sure if it's kosher to identify the program publicly yet. Anyone know?

To add to what @gutonc said, there were only 8 unfilled EM positions this year. 5 of the positions were actually in a single program*, and the other 3 programs had 1 spot each. EM in general is getting more competitive. A better strategy would be to determine what tier of program you will be competitive for, and then set up away rotations based on your geographic preferences.

*the program with 5 spots unfilled, while not a very "desirable" program, historically has had no issues filling it's class. Someone in the program messed up this cycle and they just didn't interview enough (or the right combination of) applicants. I would not count on this program having unfilled spots next cycle. This info is from the NRMP data reports that were made available on match day to all applicants from this cycle. I'm not sure if it's kosher to identify the program publicly yet. Anyone know?
It is not.

Reactions: 1 users
It's kosher to identify it at this point. It's only embargoed until Match Day.
This isn't the SOAP data (I matched so I couldn't access that), it's the "main match program results 2015" document that is released in the NRMP r3 system to all applicants on match day. I wasn't sure about the protocol for this document because the NRMP releases the list eventually anyway, which is different than the SOAP data as they don't ever release program specific SOAP info as far as I know.