Listen to the naysayers or why I left medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhippleWhileWeWork

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back story: I left my former career at the age of 28 (low 6 figure salary) to begin my post-bacc journey and eventual medical school acceptance 2 years later. I matriculated last August at my state MD school of choice. All was good and right in the world.

I withdrew this spring. I was in good academic standing, generally above average on exams getting P to HP. When I started researching this marathon there were those who said;

1. If you can see yourself doing anything other than medicine, do that instead.
2. You have to want this more than you want anything else.
3. You will have to sacrifice almost everything and put life on hold.
4. You will amass huge amounts of debt with an uncertain financial and work environment future ahead of you.

I put everything on hold for 8 months and did the med school thing, nearing the end of my short sprint I was miserable, frustrated, lonesome for friends and family, and the question that never left my mind was "Is this worth it?". I have a wonderful supporting and loving spouse who was bearing the weight of everything being on her during this and a new baby one who needed to be taken care of. The answer became quite obvious one weekend and it was time to walk away and return to normal life.

I'm returning to my former career and oddly, couldn't be more happy about it.

Medical school isn't for everyone. The "naysayers" were right. I wasn't willing to give up my relationship with my spouse, child, family, and friends for this.
For a job.
Some might say you can do medical school without losing those things, maybe for them, for me that was the trajectory we were on.

Disclaimer: I did my homework, I researched, I "understood", I got it. Things changed, priorities changed, perspective changed. I am sorry that I took a spot, I shouldn't have gone but I would have never come to this conclusion had I not.

If you think you could do your current job/career but are miserable in your specific spot, I'd caution against making this leap. Maybe just try some different jobs in your field, or spend the time you'd spend studying for pre reqs on improving your skill set or knowledge base for the next better job. That's what I'll be doing now that I'm so good at studying and passing exams.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 39 users
Why did you choose medicine in the first place?

Reactions: 1 user
Why did you choose medicine in the first place?

All the standard reasons non-trads choose it. Lack of job satisfaction, higher earning potential, wanting to help people/work with people, interest in science, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Back story: I left my former career at the age of 28 (low 6 figure salary) to begin my post-bacc journey and eventual medical school acceptance 2 years later. I matriculated last August at my state school of choice. All was good and right in the world.

I withdrew this spring. I was in good academic standing, generally above average on exams getting P to HP. When I started researching this marathon there were those who said;

1. If you can see yourself doing anything other than medicine, do that instead.
2. You have to want this more than you want anything else.
3. You will have to sacrifice almost everything and put life on hold.
4. You will amass huge amounts of debt with an uncertain financial and work environment future ahead of you.

I put everything on hold for 7 months and did the med school thing, nearing the end of my short sprint I was miserable, frustrated, lonesome for friends and family, and the question that never left my mind was "Is this worth it?". I have a wonderful supporting and loving spouse who was bearing the weight of everything being on her during this and a little one who needed two parents. The answer became quite obvious one weekend and it was time to walk away.

I'm returning to my former career and oddly, couldn't be more happy about it.

Medical school isn't for everyone, a cautionary tale. The "naysayers" were right. I wasn't willing to give up my relationship with my spouse, child, family, and friends for this. For a job. Some might say you can do medical school without losing those things, maybe for them, for me that was the trajectory we were on.

Disclaimer: I did my homework, I researched, I "understood", I got it. Things changed, priorities changed, perspective changed. I am sorry that I took a spot, I shouldn't have gone but I would have never come to this conclusion had I not.

If you think you could do your current job/career but are miserable in your specific spot, I'd caution against making this leap. Maybe just try some different jobs in your field, or spend the time you'd spend studying for pre reqs on improving your skill set or knowledge base for the next better job. That's what I'll be doing now that I'm so good at studying and passing exams.
Well said, and I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. It's a good lesson to share.

Though I've found the first ten months difficult, I look forward to getting out on preceptorships this summer and clinicals in the not-too-distant future to apply all the knowledge I'm cramming inside my head. Do you feel like there's the possibility that you would have felt it was worth it once getting to your clinical years? I suppose, if the time commitment was the major issue, there's no way medicine could have really worked out since time demands only really continue to increase after the first year.

@WhippleWhileWeWork What's your loan balance now?

Turns out, if you leave in time, you can get almost half of a semester of tuition back. Puts me in low 20's, easy enough to deal with for us right now thankfully.

Brings up a good point though, after a year two or three, most people would feel pretty stuck because of the debt load. I knew if I was going to get out, earlier was better. This was a real factor in the timing and decision process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Well said, and I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. It's a good lesson to share.

Though I've found the first ten months difficult, I look forward to getting out on preceptorships this summer and clinicals in the not-too-distant future to apply all the knowledge I'm cramming inside my head. Do you feel like there's the possibility that you would have felt it was worth it once getting to your clinical years? I suppose, if the time commitment was the major issue, there's no way medicine could have really worked out since time demands only really continue to increase after the first year.

Thank you and I know it gets "better" in terms of the nature of the work and time spent, but yeah realistically the time commitment was killing all things life and happiness in our house and that was only going to get worse.

I'm sorry to hear that you found medical education to be too big a distraction from what is really important in life. Best of luck with the old career and hope this little diversion didn't cause too much damage.

Reactions: 10 users
This is nicely timed because I've just started to get nervous as the prospect of leaving my job is getting real! How many hours did you work at your career job, and how many hours did you put into med school? The schedules that I've seen don't seem that insane for the pre-clinical years (9-7). What could you have done to realize that it didn't fit with your priorities sooner? What did your spouse think about it, and did he/she need to give up a lot for you to do your first year? Do you think it would have been different if you had attended med school earlier?

My former career job was a 45-50 hour a week job. I probably spent more time studying in medical school than average but a typical day last semester was to be at school by 8am, back home between 2 and 4, then studying till 10 or 11 pm with an hour break for diner. I only took a handful of days completely "off". This semester I stopped going to lecture and studied from 8am-8pm on normal days with breaks at lunch and dinner, if it was the week before exams this was more like 7am-10pm/11pm. Some of these hours were due to inefficiencies caused by undiagnosed ADD, which I've always coped with by putting in more work, so your mileage may vary. (fixing this now, for the new job)

I'm not sure there is much more that I could have done, I listened to the range of opinions and experiences but there was no way to really know what it would be like for me. Also, we had a baby at the end of my first semester so that changed things in ways that I couldn't really anticipate.

My spouse was on board and had her head down making money for us to eat and live but was completely wearing herself out working, taking care of the baby, taking care of the house and I wasn't available to help with very much. As you can imagine this was putting significant strain on everyone.

I think had I not had a child, we probably would have made it through. Though it's hard to say, I no longer feel the way about medicine that I did when I was trying to get into medical school. It seems like once I became a medical student, I got even more exposure to Doctors who seemed much more candid about medicine as a job and alot of what I hoped it would be and was looking forward to wasn't even there or was a least a minority experience. Being on this side of it, with the honeymoon phase of being a "medical student" over, I'm not sure medicine is a very good deal right now for many people both financially speaking and practically.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

While I'm sorry you did not decide to continue (since it underscores fears I've had), I'm happy that you have a solid career to fall back on, and an exciting chapter of life ahead!

Several years ago I made the decision to leave a PhD program, so I have at least a minor understanding of the internal struggle involved with jumping ship. (Interesting conversation to have with family, friends, advisor/boss...) Personally, I don't regret attending, and I don't regret leaving. I hope you will be able to find something positive from the experience.

I'm hopeful that things work out differently for myself, but I think that's a major benefit to being non-trad: we've had jobs and experience outside of this realm that make leaving -- if it's the right thing -- possible.

Sad to see you go, OP. I hope your return to your job is fulfilling. I'd be interested in getting an update on this thread after some time spent back in the workforce.

What you said about giving up everything for what is just in the end a job is true. Everyone sacrifices something to med school, and med school never stops demanding more of you. People generally can't just perform better without losing time spent on something else; your time in med school is already depleted. To gain something in med school, you have to give up something in return. And people who come in with a lot to lose (e.g. kids, spouse, hobbies, etc.), or people for whom the loss of these things is particularly harsh, will have a rough time because these things literally will limit residency options if not sacrificed.

Reactions: 3 users
Sad to see you go, OP. I hope your return to your job is fulfilling. I'd be interested in getting an update on this thread after some time spent back in the workforce.

Thank you @kirbymiester
I'll try to remember to come back in a few years and update.

What you said about giving up everything for what is just in the end a job is true. Everyone sacrifices something to med school, and med school never stops demanding more of you. People generally can't just perform better without losing time spent on something else; your time in med school is already depleted. To gain something in med school, you have to give up something in return. And people who come in with a lot to lose (e.g. kids, spouse, hobbies, etc.), or people for whom the loss of these things is particularly harsh, will have a rough time because these things literally will limit residency options if not sacrificed.

This is perfectly said and is the reality of it. Fellow non-trads, please read this over and over and let it sink in.

Last edited:
Hey @WhippleWhileWeWork!

It certainly would've become much tougher. I'm coming onto year 3 of dental school this summer and entering the more clinical phase of dental education. The first two years were rough, especially year 1, but the experience has become better mainly due to the transition from pre-clinical hours (8a-9p studying) to more work-like hours (7a-5p). My wife chose to leave her career, also in K-12 teaching, ever since we've relocated for me to attend dental school during this period - this has helped since she's available to the household full-time but, of course, this decision has forced us to borrow student loans at full tilt. Her being home has really helped balance our children's needs and my own so I could focus on school.

As a fellow non-trad, I'm curios as to whether having your old job available, with its nice pay, as a 'backup' influenced your decision to leave medical school. If that option was entirely unavailable, would you have likely stayed on through to graduate?

Members don't see this ad :)
If society collapsed, I would seek out a doctor(s), ask them to train me, and then administer healthcare out of a dilapidated building or hut in exchange for stuff like eggs and drinking water. This is my calling. I know it. I don't care about the prestige. I don't care about the money (besides paying off my massive debt). I care about helping people, but not just with minor problems (which I'm fine helping with), but when it is life or death.

Reactions: 12 users
Whipple, thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like you were thoughtful both about entering and leaving medical school, and sincerely thought med school was a better fit than your first career, but unfortunately there's no way to predict the future with perfect certainty. It must have taken a lot of courage to leave med school, but you clearly thought hard about this and I wish you the best.

However, for others in the same situation - I just want to say, as a counterpoint, that the middle of the first year of med school is the worst. That is when the novelty wears off and the drudgery of all that memorization, etc., sets in. My situation was somewhat similar to Whipple's (started med school around the same age, after a lucrative former career), though I didn't have children back then and my wife was in a similarly time-consuming profession and didn't mind my studying all the time. The winter of my first year was the worst and was when I thought the hardest about whether I'd made a mistake going into medicine. But second year was more interesting (because we learned about disease and real medicine), third year was fantastic (because I was on the wards) and fourth year has been the best (like third year, but less stressful because I knew more and grades stopped mattering after residency applications were in). I'm still happily married, as are many of my classmates, and am headed to an incredible residency program come June. There are many downsides to working in medicine and at the end of the day it is a job like any other, but on the balance I think it was the right choice for me.

In summary - leaving a lucrative career to become a doctor is a complex decision requiring tradeoffs, and the right decision is different for different people, but things do get better after first year.

Reactions: 16 users
i have to say that i pretty much agree with the above poster who said "the middle of the first year of med school is the worst."

for me the worst was december of my first year, right before winter break.

don't get me wrong, there were plenty of other hard times. but as a graduating MS4 this year, i would say that each year gets better.

i have to say that i pretty much agree with the above poster who said "the middle of the first year of med school is the worst."

for me the worst was december of my first year, right before winter break.

don't get me wrong, there were plenty of other hard times. but as a graduating MS4 this year, i would say that each year gets better.
I'm afraid that it will be like studying for the MCAT but for four years straight.
My assumption at the time was that part of the point of the MCAT was to expose you to that level of study, but I have no confirmation on that. How bad is it?

I'm afraid that it will be like studying for the MCAT but for four years straight.
My assumption at the time was that part of the point of the MCAT was to expose you to that level of study, but I have no confirmation on that. How bad is it?

For better or worse, medical school involves constant studying for science-based multiple choice exams. In some ways, med school material is not quite as bad as the MCAT - most exams are only 2-3 hours, you don't need to know any synthetic organic chemistry, etc. In other ways, though, it is harder - there is more rote memorization and less application of conceptual knowledge. And the USMLE Step 1, the 7 hour multiple choice exam after the second year of med school that tests everything you learned in the first two years, requires 6-8 weeks of full-time studying and is the hardest, most stressful exam I've ever taken.

For better or worse, medical school involves constant studying for science-based multiple choice exams. In some ways, med school material is not quite as bad as the MCAT - most exams are only 2-3 hours, you don't need to know any synthetic organic chemistry, etc. In other ways, though, it is harder - there is more rote memorization and less application of conceptual knowledge. And the USMLE Step 1, the 7 hour multiple choice exam after the second year of med school that tests everything you learned in the first two years, requires 6-8 weeks of full-time studying and is the hardest, most stressful exam I've ever taken.
I'm going to choose to take comfort in that.

You got out when the getting out was good. Some people drag themselves through 3-4 years before they bail. I've had one student literally disappear off the face of the earth. No, she wasn't kidnapped, she just bailed on her choice of a career.

I feel sorriest for my students who are pressured into this by their parents.

Reactions: 11 users
If society collapsed, I would seek out a doctor(s), ask them to train me, and then administer healthcare out of a dilapidated building or hut in exchange for stuff like eggs and drinking water. This is my calling. I know it. I don't care about the prestige. I don't care about the money (besides paying off my massive debt). I care about helping people, but not just with minor problems (which I'm fine helping with), but when it is life or death.
This resonated with me. I too am a non-trad and I don't know how to explain it in a few words on a forum other than, I KNOW that I am motivated by the correct reasons. I think relaying this message will be crucial to gaining an acceptance one day and my life experiences will serve to justify just how I know this is what I am called to do with my life.

This resonated with me. I too am a non-trad and I don't know how to explain it in a few words on a forum other than, I KNOW that I am motivated by the correct reasons. I think relaying this message will be crucial to gaining an acceptance one day and my life experiences will serve to justify just how I know this is what I am called to do with my life.
Man, when people talk like this I can't help but wonder if I have ever known anything in my entire life.

If society crumbled I think adequate health care would be way down on my to-do list. Apply pressure, splint that ****, and start sharpening a stick before the zombies get here.

Hey

As a fellow non-trad, I'm curios as to whether having your old job available, with its nice pay, as a 'backup' influenced your decision to leave medical school. If that option was entirely unavailable, would you have likely stayed on through to graduate?

It's a fair and good question. I guess I knew that I could probably jump right back in my field because I had only been out of it for 8 months. (took 1.5 years off to do post bacc, got accepted, worked in my field again for a year, then matriculated). Having a parachute certainly helps with the courage to jump.

If it were entirely unavailable, honestly I would have taken half the pay just to live a simple life in the country with my family. In fact, this is what we had agreed upon when I made the decision.

I learned that I value time and relationships above all other things on this little journey.

Last edited:

Maybe my school was just brutal in this regard but our exams were 4-5hrs. Just wanted to add that for the person who asked the question. It's funny because I remember thinking "Man, I thought the MCAT was brutal...."

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for sharing this with us, @WhippleWhileWeWork. I know it wasn't an easy decision, but I appreciate the honesty and letting us know. I always find your advice so helpful and I hope all goes well for you post-med!

Maybe my school was just brutal in this regard but our exams were 4-5hrs. Just wanted to add that for the person who asked the question. It's funny because I remember thinking "Man, I thought the MCAT was brutal...."
This is really important information for me... I appreciate it. The MCAT was really rough for me in part because right at the start of the push I had a breakup and big change in living situations. There were lots of days where shopping, cooking, and walking the dog was a challenge.

Now I'm on the other side, did so-so on the test, did my crying for my losses, and I'm looking around at my life thinking about how--during that time--I didn't even have time to feel.

I used to do Thai Yoga massage. I loved hands on healing, although I found it limiting and physically unsustainable. I helped my dad die and was physically present for the hugeness of that. I loved it. I'm scared I'm signing up for a life where touching people (without slicing them), being with them, and feeling things are a rare luxury--at least through the next four years and maybe beyond. Is that health? Is that healing?

I know three great people personally who dropped out of medical school. I know another who got his intern year and refused to move another step forward after that, like a beaten mule.

What you wrote about prioritizing time and relationships, wanting a simple life in the country, is why I'm lying here awake in the dark an hour before I have to get up. Man. I feel you.

But if I didn't have this, what would I have?

Good for you man. That took some guts and insight. Take it easy.

Reactions: 8 users
Halfway through third year one of my classmates bailed out for the same reasons as Whipple. My gut reaction was "good for you".

Imho this discussion isn't about "don't go to med school" at all, although I'm sure 957 people will start the "how come people are so negative and unsupportive" thing shortly.

Reactions: 8 users
Thanks for the post @WhippleWhileWeWork. I've enjoyed following your journey on here and definitely feel a kindred spirit with you, bro. I am weighing the same decision heavily at this time as I, too, chiefly value time and relationships in life.

I've sought counsel from as many as I could and the answers always comes back, "It can be done." "Life doesn't stop just because you're in school." "You will learn how to make it work."

All of these things have encouraged me, but I temper that with stories like yours. I think it is highly advisable to approach this undertaking with eyes wide open, and reading about your experience helps tremendously with that.

I wish you the best.

I am happy for you!

It's good to see someone like yourself make honest choices about what works for them and what they want.
I agree with Goro that watching some people go on and push thru when it's not even themselves that want it, but typically their parents. I'm a tiny bit envious, merely because I remember what it feels like to make money and progress in a career...
Best of luck in your (old) new job.

Thanks for the post @WhippleWhileWeWork. I've enjoyed following your journey on here and definitely feel a kindred spirit with you, bro. I am weighing the same decision heavily at this time as I, too, chiefly value time and relationships in life.

I've sought counsel from as many as I could and the answers always comes back, "It can be done." "Life doesn't stop just because you're in school." "You will learn how to make it work."

All of these things have encouraged me, but I temper that with stories like yours. I think it is highly advisable to approach this undertaking with eyes wide open, and reading about your experience helps tremendously with that.

I wish you the best.

I appreciate your kindness didymus. I have no doubt that you'll make the right decision for your situation and family. It certainly can be done, the question for me was, "Yes, but at what cost"? For some, medicine wins out, for others like me, it almost made no sense at all. The last thing I want is for good people and the right people to not pursue medicine so if it works for you guys by all means please press on.

It's funny that @Nasrudin and @DrMidlife were two of the "naysayers" in my mind years ago when I started this. They were more right than I wanted to believe at the time.

It's good to see someone like yourself make honest choices about what works for them and what they want.
I agree with Goro that watching some people go on and push thru when it's not even themselves that want it, but typically their parents. I'm a tiny bit envious, merely because I remember what it feels like to make money and progress in a career...
Best of luck in your (old) new job.

Thank you, @DocWinter

I'm a couple months from finishing my M1 year and I agree with all that's been said about the middle of it being the toughest. Especially this semester, about a month ago. The exhaustion and drudgery of memorizing started to sap my will to live. Crisis after crisis hit my small group of friends and medical dramas touched my own family. For me, the answer was always that I wanted to keep doing this, to know more, to do more. If that wasn't the case I would leave as the OP did. It's not worth sacrificing your family - there are other ways to help people. I haven't had to choose between medical school and a spouse or time with a child. This is it for me. I have a partner who is basically going through medical school with me as my number one champion and supporter. But if I had a child I would not choose this. No way no how. I know people do it and the kids turn out fine but I couldn't handle it. I've watched some friends do it and it tears at the fabric of their families. Those who make it out OK are lucky. There is just not enough time or energy to go around. I sure hope that changes and if it stops being the case after M1, then I can see why some people take the risk. But four years of this plus residency? I could not with a family.

Except that your life sort of does stop while you are in school. The world keeps going and your life is held hostage in a way. I don't mean to come across as bitter and resentful, because I am not, but you sacrifice a lot. Some things are not worth the sacrifice. Namely, a spouse you love dearly or children. Weeks go by when I forget to pay bills. I recently spent a month taking 2-3 exams per week. I was constantly in triage mode. We are reminded by our professors and mentors to take a half an hour a day for ourselves and to call our parents once a week. To eat and to sleep more than a few hours a night. It is not always like that but there was a month like that - does a child understand not seeing a parent for an entire month? I know some people get by with less studying, but I am by no means the hardest worker in my class.

The students I know who are married with kids all say their families are making sacrifices, too. Some are managing better than others. The ones who are doing well are a) men (sorry, not to endorse a stereotype but that's the case here) with b) non-working spouses and c) grandparents nearby who are helping with childcare/finances. I'm sure a woman could make this work as well if she had a similar situation with a spouse willing to step into that role. The female classmate who is handling it well says she sees her kids an hour a day and is OK with it because the kids exhaust her (her words not mine). Her husband earns a good salary and the kids are in daycare like they would be if they were both working, but the bulk of housework and childcare outside of daycare falls on her husband, who flips out every couple of months from the stress. There are a couple marriages that have broken down in the first six months of school and many dating relationships but who knows the reasons? I imagine some are because lots of people do not like playing second fiddle to anyone or anything, including medical school.

Forgive me for getting all introspective; I have watched a few classmates make this tough decision recently and one friend is trying to manage school with a very sick significant other. You start to feel silly talking about being in this to help people when you have trouble helping yourself and the ones closest to you.

Last edited:
Med school is not the enormous sacrifice that a tiny, vocal percentage make it out to be. Tens of thousands of people make it through med school and residency each year, including those with families. It takes work, but that's expected in a field where it only takes 7-10 years of post-college work before being promoted to a $200,000+ position.

It's common to devote 8 am to 12 am to med school. With experience, you'll get more efficient. Or maybe you won't. Some are ok going 100% all the time, while others who are ok with primary care will do the minimum, in which case med school can be ridiculously easy, albeit with a slight risk of failing a class or 3. Some people even take vacations in the middle of the semester.

Seems like a few things contributed to your quitting:

1. 6 hr exams? F--- that. Buyer beware, not all med schools are the same. The same goes for residency programs and specialties. Talk to as many people as possible. Choose wisely. Which comes down to:

2. Lifestyle is king. You already had a lifestyle job.

3. Did you have family around to help with kids? People who start families or add more during med school all have family around. Did you have close friends in med school? Spouses will never fully understand what we go through, unlike our buddies in the trenches.

I don't feel that med school is a sacrifice for me or my family. It's not like I'm a roughneck in North Dakota who sees their family a few times a year, OB-GYN resident, etc. The biggest sacrifices will probably be ruling out demanding specialties and picking residencies based on proximity to family rather than reputation. I whine as much as any med student, but overall, I feel blessed and privileged. I say this as someone who doesn't consider medicine a calling, and cringes when my kids say they want to be doctors. I'd rather they be dentists.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey Whipple,

I am glad you figured things out. Honestly I think it is better you took the chance to explore medicine rather than having regrets about something you never did. To me that speaks greater volumes than anything. I agree with your assessment totally. It isn't for everyone, however I probably left my old career for the same reasons you did and I have had a completely opposite experience in medical school.

I have noticed a few things that have probably had a great influence on this difference between us. First, I am not really stuck on friends and don't have a huge desire to hang out all the time. I have been able to fill the social gap with new people I have met from school, but honestly I don't feel like there is much time for socializing if you want to do well. Second my wife and I are currently in two different locations which is very straining, but it does free me up to study more. I could never do this indefinitely, but since she is in residency she is just as busy (if not more) as I am. We also do not have any children, which would make this whole adventure exponentially more difficult, and I would probably rethink being separate if that were the case. Finally, I love to study the human body. It makes sitting for long stretches in the library enjoyable and bearable.

I think that for people who must always have a social engagement on the weekends, who are really into sports and have to watch a lot of games....medical school must be unbearable.

Thanks for the great writeup, I just wanted to provide a positive view from someone else going through a similar path.

Whipple, just curious-did school come pretty easy to you pre-medschool or were you one of those that really had to work for their grades?

Goodluck on your new journey, enjoy your new family and congrats on making the difficult decision.

The difference is making a choice to leave a successful, financially lucrative career. If you have a good thing going with your family, it's hard to wreck that. It's not that kids are ruined from the experience of two working parents; it's making a choice that puts them potentially worse off when you don't have to that eats at some parents. Kids like being with their parents, especially little kids.

This is not unique to med students. Many people live under these circumstances, like high school dropouts. At best, both parents work double shifts at the local factory. At worst, one of them gets laid off or hurt on the job and gets hooked on painkillers, and their family falls apart economically.[/QUOTe

It is way worse than studying for the MCAT. Gross anatomy is probably my least favorite, as it requires you to know minutiae cold, since it is fill in the blank style testing rather than multiple choice. Our abridged anatomy study guide for this block was 103 pages, all of which was fair game. And it is cumulative, so you can't just forget about the 300ish pages of study guides from previous blocks.

We've got 4 hour block exams, 2 hour anatomy exams, and 70 minute clinical skill assessments. I'm actually at the point that I just don't have it in me to be afraid anymore. I've had every worrying thought I could ever have, and then I just broke and I've been apathetic about exams ever since. Medical school is so stressful my brain started functioning abnormally (horrible anxiety attacks for the first time in my life, episodes where I'd literally be paralyzed by fear and just stare at my computer screen for a half hour, unable to do anything) and then just stopped functioning in any normal way whatsoever in regard to anxiety and fear. Things were extremely bad for me in the fall- November and December were emotionally crippling, but things have gotten better, largely care of the apathy that resulted after last block's exams.

In any case Whipple, I wish you the best. You'll be missed, but it sounds like you're doing what is right for you and your family. Go enjoy some sunshine for the rest of us.

We've got 4 hour block exams, 2 hour anatomy exams, and 70 minute clinical skill assessments. I'm actually at the point that I just don't have it in me to be afraid anymore. I've had every worrying thought I could ever have, and then I just broke and I've been apathetic about exams ever since. Medical school is so stressful my brain started functioning abnormally (horrible anxiety attacks for the first time in my life, episodes where I'd literally be paralyzed by fear and just stare at my computer screen for a half hour, unable to do anything) and then just stopped functioning in any normal way whatsoever in regard to anxiety and fear. Things were extremely bad for me in the fall- November and December were emotionally crippling, but things have gotten better, largely care of the apathy that resulted after last block's exams.

:eek:

In any case Whipple, I wish you the best. You'll be missed, but it sounds like you're doing what is right for you and your family. Go enjoy some sunshine for the rest of us.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate this level of detail and honesty.

Two years to clinicals, right?

It's not that bad guys. I thought you went to a chill school Mad Jack, at least indicated by your posts in another thread. I go to an MD school and I can't say I have ever experienced anything like you describe. I had a couple setbacks that knocked me off my feet first year (my ex leaving me with no warning, a close family friend dying suddenly, trying to learn how to study after having been out of school for almost 6 years). The former two resulted in failed exams, but I gave myself a brief pity party after they occurred and then got back in the fray. While MS2 has been more work, I can't say it's been more difficult. I'm more efficient and I know what needs to be done. Studying for Step now and I'm ready to be done with it. I've enjoyed my time hanging out at home with my cat in my own little study world, but I'm ready to rejoin civilization and not feel guilty for every second I'm not spending studying (like right now).

For context, I go to a true pass/fail school in the first two years and I'm not trying for a wildly competitive specialty.

Reactions: 5 users
It's not that bad guys. I thought you went to a chill school Mad Jack, at least indicated by your posts in another thread. I go to an MD school and I can't say I have ever experienced anything like you describe. I had a couple setbacks that knocked me off my feet first year (my ex leaving me with no warning, a close family friend dying suddenly, trying to learn how to study after having been out of school for almost 6 years). The former two resulted in failed exams, but I gave myself a brief pity party after they occurred and then got back in the fray. While MS2 has been more work, I can't say it's been more difficult. I'm more efficient and I know what needs to be done. Studying for Step now and I'm ready to be done with it. I've enjoyed my time hanging out at home with my cat in my own little study world, but I'm ready to rejoin civilization and not feel guilty for every second I'm not spending studying (like right now).

For context, I go to a true pass/fail school in the first two years and I'm not trying for a wildly competitive specialty.
My classmates are chill, and the overall vibe is pretty relaxed. You've got plenty of time for friends and family. But once block week hits, it is hell. It's kind of a cyclic thing. Weeks 1-4 "LIFE IS AMAZING," weeks 5-6 "OMFG this is horrible," block week "can't move, paralyzed by fear, why did I come here." But then you get used to it and things are okay, largely because of the supportive environment and the time you get to decompress post-block week. I nearly left in the Fall because I was having such a rough time emotionally, but I'm glad I stuck it out, even if I am kind of burned out.

Crossing the expanse of 3rd year and finishing Step 2 was the hardest pull outside of 1st year boredom and Step 1 prep. 4th year forward is pretty good. But I still think whipple got out clean and right. Because the price of finding out after 3rd year that medicine sucks means your tied to your own misery unless you don't care or don't have much debt. For most of us that's already a point of no return.

OP, good for you. I started medical school about the same age as you. No way I could have done it if I were married with a kid. I struggled through medical school - it took me longer study time to get the same grades as most. I busted my rear to get good grades and USMLE scores. I'm nearing the end of residency now and am married with a child...and I am really burnt out. I have no passion to learn anymore. I now just do the bare minimum to make it through residency. I work a ton of hours and come home and watch TV instead of studying if I have any extra time. I view medicine after residency as nothing but a well-paying job. I'll put my hours in, make a good salary, eventually pay off massive amounts of debt, but I have little passion for "helping people" as I now realize most doctors are nothing more than cogs in the big medical machine. I do worry about my ability to keep current as I really have no more passion for medicine. I guess I'll just be a below-average doctor in an unremarkable city. Things could be worse I suppose.