Listening to music

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDESTRUKT

Fadeproof
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is listening to music during a cardiac cath or ERCP (or any type of procedure you're doing) unprofessional? I mean I see IR guys and surgeons listening to music during their procedures all the time...but I rarely see the other guys listening to music. Is it their choice or just not "allowed" by the institution as unprofessional?

Members don't see this ad.

When I did a GI rotation, we listened to music all the time in the endoscopy suites.

Music is always on in our cath lab.

It's not unprofessional at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I did a GI rotation, we listened to music all the time in the endoscopy suites.

me too.

I also did a rotation also with a cardiovascular surgeon and everyday we listened to the same freaking CD, it was instrumental, only when he was closing the chest in a CABG surgery did they put CD's with voices!! LOL.

I for one, study with music, during undergrad and med school. It relaxes me and blocks outside noises that would rather make me loose my concentration, music doesnt make me loose my concentration.

Yes, I love cranking up speed metal when I'm in the cath lab.

Depends on the doctor doing the procedure. Some will even bring in their own radios (like BOSE, etc.) and CD case, the surg techs even know which CDs that particular guy/gal likes. Now is it professional to have ear phones on? Probably not.

kinda like what babyruth was saying, i think there's nothing unprofessional about listening to music during the procedures you mention, provided that it's ok with the attending. however, if you're listening to music on you iPod, you're being unprofessional...and disrespectful.

on that note, if you love your iPod, get one of those docking stations. a lot of them are very portable and you can play your music wherever you want---call room, resident lounge, wherever.