Listing a philosophy course as English?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was exempt from part 1 of the college writing requirement because I got a perfect score on the SAT writing section. Therefore, I never took a class in the English department. For part II of the requirement, I chose to take Introduction to Philosophy. My school considers this an English Language and Literature course even though it is in the philosophy department. I know that many (most?) med schools have an English prerequisite. Should I list the course as English to fulfill the requirement?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends on the course description.
Do you not have any other English credit on your transcript? Most schools require 6 credit hours, and you don't test out of requirements, so I would be adding an English class to next semester's schedule.

I guess it depends on the course description.
Do you not have any other English credit on your transcript? Most schools require 6 credit hours, and you don't test out of requirements, so I would be adding an English class to next semester's schedule.

No, I literally never took any class listed under the English Department. Oops. I just figured I could use the Philosophy courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Classify it appropriately on AMCAS and explain in secondaries if necessary.

Classify it appropriately on AMCAS and explain in secondaries if necessary.

This. I've heard that if a school has an English requirement it usually gives you some flexibility to describe that the main content of your Philo class was English based. For example, I emailed Vandy and asked if my primarily writing based theology course counted for their requirement and they said most certainly.

I have a tangentially related question. What about a class like Psych Stats...Its prefix is psychology, but it was simply a statistics course. I want it counted as a math class so that it counts towards my sGPA. In this case, would I list it as math in AMCAS?

I think you need to call AMCAS and ask them these questions.

Are you finished with school? Or do you have another year to take the requirements you seem to be missing? You don't need the requirements before you apply, just before you matriculate. There were a lot of non-traditional students at my school who took their biochem requirements the summer before getting into medical school, for example.

No, I literally never took any class listed under the English Department. Oops. I just figured I could use the Philosophy courses.
So you don't have 6 credit hours?
Was your class 3? I would be adding another if I were you.

I have a tangentially related question. What about a class like Psych Stats...Its prefix is psychology, but it was simply a statistics course. I want it counted as a math class so that it counts towards my sGPA. In this case, would I list it as math in AMCAS?

I listed an Econ class as math last cycle because it was essentially an advanced statistical analysis class. Amcas didn't mind. I believe they specifically say to classify classes as what they are best resented as instead of merely what department it fell under during undergrad.