Literature Review - AMCAS Activity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MalachiteGreen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I translated for Hispanic patients at a community health clinic and after explaining to many patients how to manage diabetes through diet via pamphlets on hand at the clinic, I conducted a literature review on the topic (what works and doesn't in terms of diet, as well as in terms of the pamphlets). The research included guidelines for creating pamphlets while keeping cultural sensitivity in mind. A professor encouraged me to present my findings at a research conference.

Here's my question: should I even include this anywhere on AMCAS? The process taught me how to compile information into a literature review and I was very excited to talk about how diet could help manage disease. However, at the research conference I felt odd standing next to people who had completed original research and wish I had had the time to do so. How will my experience be viewed since the experience doesn't include basic science original bench research with a hypothesis, data, etc.? And how would I categorize it if I were to include it?

Members don't see this ad.

I translated for Hispanic patients at a community health clinic and after explaining to many patients how to manage diabetes through diet via pamphlets on hand at the clinic, I conducted a literature review on the topic (what works and doesn't in terms of diet, as well as in terms of the pamphlets). The research included guidelines for creating pamphlets while keeping cultural sensitivity in mind. A professor encouraged me to present my findings at a research conference.

Here's my question: should I even include this anywhere on AMCAS? The process taught me how to compile information into a literature review and I was very excited to talk about how diet could help manage disease. However, at the research conference I felt odd standing next to people who had completed original research and wish I had had the time to do so. How will my experience be viewed since the experience doesn't include basic science original bench research with a hypothesis, data, etc.? And how would I categorize it if I were to include it?
Consider listing and discussing it under Teaching.

@MalachiteGreen I have a similar service + literature review + conference presentation experience. If you feel you learned valuable skills and contributed to your community of interest with this experience, definitely include it! It could fall under community service (medical), teaching or research.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd include it. I've always felt the application was how you write things. Doesn't matter how little or insignificant you think the activity is, it's how you write it that makes all the difference.

@turayza Nice to hear someone else with the same experience. I'll definitely include the translating under medical community service. Did you include the lit. review and presentation in the same activity or create a new activity for those? Thanks!

The activity was meaningful for me. Will just have to figure out how to best convey that.

@turayza Nice to hear someone else with the same experience. I'll definitely include the translating under medical community service. Did you include the lit. review and presentation in the same activity or create a new activity for those? Thanks!

The activity was meaningful for me. Will just have to figure out how to best convey that.

I split it into two activities: the teaching/community service, and what I learned / blah, and then the literature review and a sentence on key findings (and the presentation). My research had an additional portion of designing and implementing a solution based off of the lit review. I think you definitely learn very different things from each activity that you would want to describe separately--the interpersonal and interacting with your target pop'n, and then the broader picture of using literature and understanding the topic.