Little time for MCAT studying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malamia

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm confused right now because I want to do an Sn2ed type study plan for the summer while taking a prep course but ~6 hours of MCAT studying a day plus going to the mcat review classes PLUS a full course load just doesn't seem to fit. Sn2ed takes 3 months so summer alone is not enough. Also, if I take the prep course when summer starts I would end up taking the test on august which is late. I want to maximize my score as much as possible!!

How can I best manage my time? I want to apply next cycle.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think summer is your best bet. I'm confused -- are you taking a full course load over the summer? I don't see why you can't free up 3 months; my school lets out in early May and I thought that was standard.

Reactions: 1 user
I think summer is your best bet. I'm confused -- are you taking a full course load over the summer? I don't see why you can't free up 3 months; my school lets out in early May and I thought that was standard.
Not in Puerto Rico. We start late January so we finish late may. I have to start studying nearing finals if I want to take three months. Plus the review course (TPR) starts in April or august (which would require me taking the test in august).

Reread the Sn2ed study guide. I does not recommend taking any course work during the schedule.

It's not suggested, but whether or not you can manage it is a question only you can answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a 25hrs/week physics course while prepping across 10 weeks and thought it was a similar workload to what I do during semester. Really depends how strong you already are in the material going in (did you ace all your chem/bio/orgo/physics classes?) and how much you are used to working 60 hrs/week.

Study until your semester starts in January for 5 hours a day. Then study 1-2 hours every day during the semseter to keept he material fresh. Take practice exams on the first weekend of every month. Sign up for June Mcat and take the test. This gives you 1-2 weeks after semester is over to finalize preparation and you won't be so late in the app cycle. These study guides and plans are created to facilitate your learning. If it doesnt work for you then you need to modify it or create your own plan.

I'm used to taking my time to study well for my courses. I feel like sometimes the weekends are not enough (with EC's and all). I can't fathom giving up my semester weekends to a prep course. My school grades will take a hit and so will my MCAT score if I do both at the same time. Is it that bad if I apply when I get my score on September? Like I said, I want to maximize my chances as MUCH as I can. In my eyes, it's either sacrificing grades and MCAT score or taking the summer to study and applying late.

Study until your semester starts in January for 5 hours a day. Then study 1-2 hours every day during the semseter to keept he material fresh. Take practice exams on the first weekend of every month. Sign up for June Mcat and take the test. This gives you 1-2 weeks after semester is over to finalize preparation and you won't be so late in the app cycle. These study guides and plans are created to facilitate your learning. If it doesnt work for you then you need to modify it or create your own plan.

I took a 25hrs/week physics course while prepping across 10 weeks and thought it was a similar workload to what I do during semester. Really depends how strong you already are in the material going in (did you ace all your chem/bio/orgo/physics classes?) and how much you are used to working 60 hrs/week.

I'm used to taking my time to study well for my courses. I feel like sometimes the weekends are not enough (with EC's and all). I can't fathom giving up my semester weekends to a prep course. My school grades will take a hit and so will my MCAT score if I do both at the same time. Is it that bad if I apply when I get my score on September? Like I said, I want to maximize my chances as MUCH as I can. In my eyes, it's either sacrificing grades and MCAT score or taking the summer to study and applying late.
Applying late will harm your chances FAR MORE than a couple B's that could have been A's. The odds of getting an interview invite when applying in Sept are much, much lower than a June application (less than half as good, according to my premed advising staff at my university).

SN2ED will not apply for the new MCAT. It'll require a pretty big revamp.
Not really. The principles will still be the same. The principles are the most important part of the guide since many don't follow the schedule exactly.

Reactions: 1 users
Applying late will harm your chances FAR MORE than a couple B's that could have been A's. The odds of getting an interview invite when applying in Sept are much, much lower than a June application (less than half as good, according to my premed advising staff at my university).

That's the type of advice I was looking for. Thank you. I guess I'll just have to tough it out. :|

That's the type of advice I was looking for. Thank you. I guess I'll just have to tough it out. :|
Just remember, even though the MCAT will feel like only a portion of your focus for the semester, it is by far the most important part of your schedule. A good MCAT score is just as important as a good 4-year GPA for medical schools - if you ever have to choose between adequate studying/prep for MCAT and a class, pick the MCAT every time. That single number is going to matter more than anything else you do during that semester.

Reactions: 2 users
That's true: it may even be slightly more important due to the standardized nature of it. GPAs can be inflated: it's harder to inflate a MCAT score. Your GPA that semester will be 1/8 of your total GPA if you go to a four-year: your MCAT is 100% of your MCAT score.

I agree with some of the commenters here. I think you need to take your time to study for the MCAT and not try to confine that time too much because it isn't "perfect." I.e. take the time you need to get it right the first time because no one wants to take this test more than once, and especially not the new test with how much longer it'll be. Study once, consider a gap year, and spend some time exploring before committing to school.