Littmann Cardiology III Stethoscope (Black Edition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dyingduck

Nude Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does any current medical student have this? Any comment(s) on it?

Members don't see this ad.

I got one as a gift. It's pretty amazing. I've been able to hear S3s in the emergency department, PDAs, and I/VI murmurs.

it's the exact same thing as a regular cardio 3, except with black finish on the bits that are usually metallic. you should get the gold edition, Bob Kelso MD style. mad bling.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use this in veterinary school. I've found it to be really nice for hearing heart sounds with both small (dogs, cats, rabbits) and large animals (horses, cows, humans haha).

The only (very minor) problem I have with it, is that it seems a little short on the length for my own personal preference. I guess I must have gone with the 22 inch version but probably would have prefered 27. ahh well. For human medicine that's probably not a big deal.

I do like that it has the two bell design.

Overall I really like it. I think here at Penn you can go to the book store and listen with the different stethescope types to see if you have a preference for one or the other, so maybe you can try that where you are? but I think you'll probably be fine with learning on any Littmann. I had friends go through med school with the Master Classic II without any problems.

Tons of my classmates have the Cardiology III and like it. However, I don't really understand why people pay more than double for the Cardio when you can get the Classic II SE for like $65. Is the peds stethoscope and slightly better acoustics worth that much?

Tons of my classmates have the Cardiology III and like it. However, I don't really understand why people pay more than double for the Cardio when you can get the Classic II SE for like $65. Is the peds stethoscope and slightly better acoustics worth that much?

I used the Master Classic II as a paramedic and for most of medical school. It is wholly sufficient. It runs about a 100 bucks, has only a diaphragm (push gently for bell, firmly for diaphragm) and I was able to catch and identify some murmurs that my resident missed. For the day-to-day, I highly recommend it.

Afterall, its the farmer, not the tools, right? Its whats between the scope that matters. Its the skill of the practitioner.

well, to some extent. In my fourth year I got hold of the Cardiology III. Yeah, you need to know what you're doing with the scope, but man, I can hear my girlfriends 1/6 murmur that I didn't believe existed with the Master Classic. I pick up on subtle lung sounds. As a preceptor to 1st and 2nd year clinics, I try to demonstrate heart and lung sounds to the students. I found myself just giving the earpieces of my stethoscope to the students... even with the right location sometimes I couldnt hear with their scopes.

Bottom Line: Until you know what you're supposed to hear, wouldn't it be awesome if you had a device that eliminated the thought "is it the scope?" That way, its up to you to hear the sounds, rather than struggling with "do i hear anything at all?"

Cardiology III 100% the full bookstore price my parents paid for my holiday gift this year.

Thanks, everyone. I am definitely going to get this one.

I ran across a recent research (2008) on stethoscope, if anyone is interested:

http://www.forusdocs.com/reviews/Acoustic_Stethoscope_Review.htm

(It's a bit long, but you can just skip to page 7 for the result/conclusion).

However, I have trouble between choosing the "all" black edition or regular black? Let me know your opinions on it (whether you own it or have seen someone with it). I am an incoming MS1 this Fall.

However, I have trouble between choosing the "all" black edition or regular black? Let me know your opinions on it (whether you own it or have seen someone with it). I am an incoming MS1 this Fall.
Your source isn't exactly reliable and the validity of this "research" is highly questionable. Picking lower-end models of the competitor's stethoscopes to boost Littmann's standing is pretty huge selection bias.

The Welch Allyn stethoscope that is in the same category as the Littmann Cardio III is the Harvey DLX. Based on personal experience (I got the Cardio III from my school and my parents had already bought a Harvey DLX for me as a surprise, based on a family friend's recommendation), evidence found through somewhat more reputable research, and personal experiences of others who have shared (both here and on other sites), the Harvey DLX generally outperforms the Littmann Cardio III.

I'm not trying to convince you to pick one over the other, especially since unlike that other guy who did the "research" you quoted, I don't have stock in Littmann or Welch Allyn.

dont be a douche and be the only MS1 with a 300 dollar stethoscope that's all black and have no idea how to use it. Just get the regular one. It looks like youre trying too hard if you roll in with the sleek, sexy looking one.

make sure your name is engraved somewhere on it, so no one can jack it.

Your source isn't exactly reliable and the validity of this "research" is highly questionable. Picking lower-end models of the competitor's stethoscopes to boost Littmann's standing is pretty huge selection bias.

The Welch Allyn stethoscope that is in the same category as the Littmann Cardio III is the Harvey DLX. Based on personal experience (I got the Cardio III from my school and my parents had already bought a Harvey DLX for me as a surprise, based on a family friend's recommendation), evidence found through somewhat more reputable research, and personal experiences of others who have shared (both here and on other sites), the Harvey DLX generally outperforms the Littmann Cardio III.

I'm not trying to convince you to pick one over the other, especially since unlike that other guy who did the "research" you quoted, I don't have stock in Littmann or Welch Allyn.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

dont be a douche and be the only MS1 with a 300 dollar stethoscope that's all black and have no idea how to use it. Just get the regular one. It looks like youre trying too hard if you roll in with the sleek, sexy looking one.

make sure your name is engraved somewhere on it, so no one can jack it.

It costs around 160.

The all black looks sweet. I got the regular black and wish I had gotten the special order.

I got the all black edition. I like it, haven't had much true clinical experience with it but on our clinical skill sims it seems to work well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the all black Card 3. It has worked well through 2 years of weekly (cardiology) preceptor visits and I will continue using it indefinitely. I think having a unique looking stethoscope is good for theft prevention. I also had mine engraved with my name. Total cost was about the same as what everyone else paid for theirs.

I have the all black Card 3. It has worked well through 2 years of weekly (cardiology) preceptor visits and I will continue using it indefinitely. I think having a unique looking stethoscope is good for theft prevention. I also had mine engraved with my name. Total cost was about the same as what everyone else paid for theirs.

Awesome. Good to know, where did you buy/get it engraved? I am looking at allheart.com

http://www.allheart.com/littc33131.html?campaign=csegoogle&CAWELAID=370975843

160+15 (probably going to get HEAD engrave instead of TUBE, any opinion on this?).

The main perk is that it looks cool. Although, the whole association with black and death may be an issue. :p

As far as theft prevention, there is a definite chance of a possible maybe that it helps. I got free engraving on my stethoscope and have different colored tubing, but I think it is really only a deterrent for someone who'd do it by accident. Non-medical people have an unusual obsession with things like stethoscopes and don't care all that much about a name. I've seen car windows broken out to grab stethoscopes hanging from mirrors, so unless it is a magical engraving to ward off evil, probably won't do much.

Don't ask me why people hang their stethoscopes on their rearview mirror. Not exactly great for the tubing either.

The main perk is that it looks cool. Although, the whole association with black and death may be an issue. :p

As far as theft prevention, there is a definite chance of a possible maybe that it helps. I got free engraving on my stethoscope and have different colored tubing, but I think it is really only a deterrent for someone who'd do it by accident. Non-medical people have an unusual obsession with things like stethoscopes and don't care all that much about a name. I've seen car windows broken out to grab stethoscopes hanging from mirrors, so unless it is a magical engraving to ward off evil, probably won't do much.

Don't ask me why people hang their stethoscopes on their rearview mirror. Not exactly great for the tubing either.

Ahh yes. Interesting point on the association. I don't think it should be that big of an issue...granted you don't dress in all black coat/black gloves and whatnot. lol :p

Last edited:

It's an attempt at avoiding tickets. Police tend to look out for medical folks. Though if I were a cop, I think I'd write an extra ticket for having something hanging from the mirror (illegal here) for such an obvious try at getting out of something.

It's an attempt at avoiding tickets. Police tend to look out for medical folks. Though if I were a cop, I think I'd write an extra ticket for having something hanging from the mirror (illegal here) for such an obvious try at getting out of something.

Ahh, I see. Yeah, one of my friends got out of a ticket because he had a Police Support sticker his back windshield. lol

This is where I got it from (2 years ago). They seem to still have the free engraving. Costs about $20 more to get all black vs. the other colors.

http://www.medisave.net/littmann-stethoscope-all-black-edition.html

As far as the theft thing....probably just rationalization for the fact that I spent more to get one that I thought looked cooler. But my n=1 study finds a 100% theft prevention rate.

The all black edition is just all black, but otherwise the Cardio 3. There really isn't any reason to spend the extra for a look. I got it because I'm a musician, and we always wear black. Ha ha...

Honestly, everyone who is a doc already has told me to spend the least amount on your stethoscope. There's a super real likelihood you'll lose it or it will get stolen. Someone will borrow it and you won't see it again. And you'll land up with someone else's around your neck one day, too. Point being, especially for a first one, just buy something like bright orange if you don't want it to be misplaced or borrowed never to be seen or heard from again.

My Dad used his for 25+ years until sitting in his truck at -20 F permanently stiffened up the tubing. I've also got a preceptor with the Cardiology III who called up Littman and they swapped out her rubber for something like $20. Sometimes there's value behind the sticker price.

I am a 4th year medical student , I bought black edition from www.BestBuyMD.com for $138 ... It has 5 year warranty but I heard that it works life long.

4th year chiming in

if you can afford it, go for it. I couldn't justify the cost so I got the Classic II

I've seen some of the best cardiology attendings rock the Classic II and get way better exams than people with Cardio IIIs. At this level, it's more about the examiner, not so much the stethescope

I got a Cardio III during the white coat ceremony before M1 began. No clue how it works, but evidently the school didn't cheap out. :thumbup:

Interesting that the black version is sold for more, since it costs the same wholesale from the manufacturer as every other color.

Whoever said that all stethoscopes are the same hasn't had much experience. While you will find the occasional attending who can pick up the slightest of sounds with a disposable yellow stethoscope, it takes years to master instruments in that manner. You're going to be evaluated on what you can pick up on physical exam, so you really should get something that helps you with that goal. Cardio III is a great tool for that.

http://medstudentbooks.com/med-instruments/3m-littmann-cardiology-iii-stethoscope/

Neither is shoving them into white coats wrapped up in little balls, but they do just fine. :)

Neither is shoving them into white coats wrapped up in little balls, but they do just fine. :)

As long as you aren't repeatedly kinking the tubing, it isn't bad. Probably better than around your neck where you get your oils and sweat all over it and it gets MRSA on you.

Around the mirror is really bad for it since it ends up baking in the sun or if you're up north, freezing in the winter. You can get the tubing replaced but it is just a pain.

ah good point. forgot about that. i accidentally left my bag in the car overnight during winter, and my poor stethoscope was in rigor. :(

Just a quick update on my own thread. I finally got to use it in class as well as while volunteering at our local free clinic. It is DA BOMB. The black on black doesn't matter one bit on my patient (trust me, they are WAY more concerned with other stuff).

just got the black edish. it was only 20 more through our distributor. It looks pretty sweet, but pretty morbid as well.

save your moola and go for the cheaper models... but if you like the style and have the cash, then by all means

it really doesn't make any significant difference

"The Omron Sprague Rappaport is our selection as best buy. Its acoustic performance rivals the Cardiology III at a fraction of the price. The Omron is an excellent choice for students short on money, to stock your exams rooms with, or to keep as a spare stethoscope in your car or desk. It's drawbacks are its bulk and susceptibility to noise artifacts from rubbing the tubes together. However anecdotal accounts describe EMT's using this scope with the tubes taped together, something we didn't try. Some people find the hard earpieces to be uncomfortable."

From the above article. For a medical student, this $13.50 stethoscope (on Amazon) would probably do just fine. Save your money for a nicer one (if you think you need it) when you about to start a residency in which it actually might matter and when someone is going to want to buy you a nice gift for graduation.

I have the same one too, but Red edition. It's pretty cool.

I think people are ignoring the greater benefit here.

Having the all-black edition allows me to perform tactical auscultation. The normal chrome finish, or even the brass finish, is simply too reflective to be used in elite nighttime tactical operations. You pull it out to check a blood pressure, and BAM you've given away your location.

I just recently invested in a Cardio III. For the longest time, I didn't think it made a difference. I used an MDX Medical "clone" and sometimes a Sprauge-Rappaport type steth. I had for years thought that the hype about Littmanns was just that - hype. But, now I have to say I am a convert as well. The soft ear tips seal out nearly all outside noise and the acoustic resolution is more than I could have imagined. This might sound weird (or gross), but when I auscultate a patient's organs (heart, lungs, stomach, bowels), and I close my eyes, I actually FEEL like I am inside their thoracic cavity or in their abdominal cavity.

I currently use the Cardio III and am very pleased with the performance. However, I am a little envious of the electronic stethoscopes that cost the same amount and remain useful in loud ERs. If I had to do it over, I might get one of those.

I got a sweet copper/coffee cardio 3. I used a cardio 2 for years as an ED tech and medical asst. I don't doubt that a skilled person could pick up more without a stethoscope at all than I could. But quality stuff just always comes through solid when you need it. And even at my level I can hear more when it's noisy than with cheaply made stuff. And like someone said, while I'm learning I'd like the best shot at hearing what I'm supposed to.

I have the black edition and I really like it. The acoustics are good and it looks sharp. I engraved both the bell and tubing to avoid theft, and I've left it in physician workrooms multiple times without it disappearing. I recommend getting a stethoscope like this that has a bell as well as a diaphragm, rather than an electronic one. You need to learn how to use both parts, and using each at the right time is tested in the OSCEs (clinical skills exams).

I currently use the Cardio III and am very pleased with the performance. However, I am a little envious of the electronic stethoscopes that cost the same amount and remain useful in loud ERs. If I had to do it over, I might get one of those.

One of my professors, who used to work in the ER before she began teaching, had an electronic one and she loved it!! I plan to practice in the ER someday myself and will definitely consider one of these at that time.

have the all black cardio III too. its sweet. probably didn't need a cardio III especially since I want to go into surgery but whatever. just don't get a fancy color in whatever you get. those are for nurses.