Living off of lpc/ lcsw salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InfoNerd101

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I looked up the salaries for masters level clinicians (lpc, lmft lcsw) especially for big urban areas like Boston and saw what little salary they made it was alarming! (39,000-50,000)

Its crazy that someone with so much education and knowledge makes so little.

It made me think how do these individuals with their loan debt and what not afford to live? Especially in an expensive area unless they have a spouse that makes good money?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure where you found that, a quick search for me turned up 56,700 to 73,600 (10%-90%) for LCSWs in Boston. Still not incredible, but considerably more that 30-50,000. Having said that, I'm still a student so I don't know first hand how I will afford to live - but I would wager duel incomes, budgeting, and supplementing (overtime, PT at other jobs, PP on side) are common.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I make less money than them and I am able to support myself and my child in a family suburb. I am just barely doing this.......I have a tight budget, but it is not impossible. It also depends if they work at a hospital as one of the delightful therapists or are they the director of social services etc etc....our Director here is a LCSW with years of experience and she makes A LOT of money, however I won't disclose that information. Here at my hospital our LCSW/LPC are salaried positions and they often stay late so it is demanding, but they make good money more in the range of what Wesley said. Bear in mind when I say good money I don't mean pushing 80k a year, I think enough to be comfortable in a safe neighborhood , pay the bills, fridge is full, some extras...is good money. Something like 50k is acceptable, my life would be so much more comfortable if I made 50k lol...I will not reveal what I make, but just know that I make less than what you posted infonerd and I am able to survive , my car is a 2011 Nissan...I rent a small yet cute house with a nice yard...nothing fancy in my life, but it is stable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly. I really wish I would have done more research before I went into my current program wet behind the ears! In December I will be graduating with my Master's in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. I still love the program I am in, and I still have a passion for counseling; but it is obvious I will have to continue education further to obtain the salary that I desire. :)

I'm not sure how those statistics were compiled, but I'd imagine it's harder to collect information on therapists in private practice than it is to simply pool data from companies (e.g. community mental health agencies, state hospitals) who employ therapists. I could see those numbers being accurate if you're employed by someone, but if you're in private practice, you can definitely earn more.

Most insurance companies will reimburse licensed master's-level clinicians at $75 per session. Even if you only see 20 clients per week for 48 out of 52 weeks per year, that is a gross salary of $72,000. Now if you are business savvy and can get some clients to pay out-of-pocket, or clients who have a good PPO plan, you can charge your full fee (which is whatever you decide it is). This could probably push you over $80,000 gross per year. Even after overhead, continuing education, and health insurance, you are going to make out alright. You won't be rich, but you can live comfortably.

I know many master's-level therapists who supplement their clinical income with supervisory roles and adjunct teaching. It is not unheard of for therapists who work hard, take on multiple roles, and love/are good at what they do to break the $100,000 mark in annual income. It is not easy, but it can be achieved over time if you are diligent, passionate, and know how to network. Therapists who never bother to get licensed, settle into a community agency role, see their job as 'just a job', and don't bother much to get around the field outside of their place of employment, are A LOT less likely to reach these numbers.

Reactions: 2 users