Living the MCAT this summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillyjoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently on Day 22 of SN2ed 3 month schedule. First off, as many of you know, it is quite amazing and also very challenging. I really feel like this summer is not only a grind, but that I am really living the MCAT. I am sure many of you can relate

If you look later on in the SN2ed schedule you can see that he has Hat Trick which reinforces synthesis of information. While I am not up to that yet, I wanted to share with you one piece of advice that has helped me solidify concepts. Live the MCAT when you are going about your daily life. For example, when I was driving in my car and turning around an exit ramp I asked myself what forces are acting on my car? And then I thought, what could the MCAT ask me about this? What force would be needed to make my car flip over? What would I have to calculate? Kinetic friction or static friction? Or when I was washing the dishes after dinner you can think about what makes a good detergent? I noticed some build up on my faucet due to hard water. That is from Ca++. I have a filter in my basement to remove the calcium. How does that work? Is it an ion exchanger? What is the principle? When I was taking my dog for a walk I saw some kid swinging a rope above his head with a ball attached. What forces? Tension? Gravity? Why isn't the ball falling down? What is keeping it rotating?

Essentially, I have found that I can do the "hat trick" in my head while just going about daily life. Surprisingly, it made it more "fun" applying what I learned and helped me solidify concepts I didn't know. If I was confused about something when I would be trying to synthesize the information/questions, I would go look it up.

Try it! Live the MCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone,

I am currently on Day 22 of SN2ed 3 month schedule. First off, as many of you know, it is quite amazing and also very challenging. I really feel like this summer is not only a grind, but that I am really living the MCAT. I am sure many of you can relate

If you look later on in the SN2ed schedule you can see that he has Hat Trick which reinforces synthesis of information. While I am not up to that yet, I wanted to share with you one piece of advice that has helped me solidify concepts. Live the MCAT when you are going about your daily life. For example, when I was driving in my car and turning around an exit ramp I asked myself what forces are acting on my car? And then I thought, what could the MCAT ask me about this? What force would be needed to make my car flip over? What would I have to calculate? Kinetic friction or static friction? Or when I was washing the dishes after dinner you can think about what makes a good detergent? I noticed some build up on my faucet due to hard water. That is from Ca++. I have a filter in my basement to remove the calcium. How does that work? Is it an ion exchanger? What is the principle? When I was taking my dog for a walk I saw some kid swinging a rope above his head with a ball attached. What forces? Tension? Gravity? Why isn't the ball falling down? What is keeping it rotating?

Essentially, I have found that I can do the "hat trick" in my head while just going about daily life. Surprisingly, it made it more "fun" applying what I learned and helped me solidify concepts I didn't know. If I was confused about something when I would be trying to synthesize the information/questions, I would go look it up.

Try it! Live the MCAT!
I can see why they gave you that prefix... haha. Fun idea though.

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys joke about this, which is fine (and it is funny), but I'm a science teacher and you'd be surprised how much that technique is emphasized in education classes and how much I struggle to teach my students to do this. From my dog peeing in the same gently sloping spot and creating a pee canyon (an example that I didn't tell my entire class, but one little boy that was really struggling - he got it immediately!) to ukeleles made by the hearing impaired (this is a classic technique because the vibrations can be felt better than those with untrained ears can hear the right pitch) to ropes on the MCAT, this is solid stuff!

Haha thought I was the only one who did this.

Just the other day I was turning the ramp and was thinking about static friction....