LLU vs. Creighton vs. Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rfvbnmju

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright another one of these threads..I'm still kinda torn between my three acceptances.

Although I would be happy with any of these 3 places, my general goals are
1. Stay in CA if possible
2. I'd like to end up teaching @ a medical school later on (this counts as academic medicine?)
3. Leave doors open for more competitive specialties.

Loma Linda still hasn't given me financial aid info so I can't make an informed decision yet but based on cost alone, would $40k-$50 make that much of a difference?

Thanks again for your input.

Creighton
Pros

Low cost of living
Video recording of lectures
Students seem very happy there & staff was very responsive to questions and emails.
10k/yr scholarship

Cons
Cold Winters
Far from home

Loyola
Pros

Recorded lectures
Some friends in area for support
Renovated classrooms looks really nice
Video recording of lectures
10k/yr scholarship

Cons
Expensive Cost of Living
Cold winters
Far from home

Loma Linda
Pros

Southern CA - Possibly more connections to network
Nice weather

Cons
More expensive cost of living. (Still cheap for So Cal)
Possibly lifestyle policy (I don't engage in what they forbid often but I'd like that option if needed.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Drop off LLU, unless your lifestyle aligns completely with their policies.

I met a few students there (non SDA)...They seem well adjusted and didn't mind the policy too much but thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
If your goal is to stay in CA, what's the question? LLU

If you don't want to pick Loma Linda, I'd go with Creighton. Then again, I'm not familiar with Loyola at all

Congrats on your acceptances!

If your goal is to stay in CA, what's the question? LLU
If you don't want to pick Loma Linda, I'd go with Creighton. Then again, I'm not familiar with Loyola at all
Congrats on your acceptances!
Thank you!

I don't mind leaving CA if it's worth it but I like to think all 3 are on par of being somewhat well known in their region. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I have to agree with darkjedi that unless you are very comfortable with LLU's policies, drop them. I get the sense that you are keeping them on your list out of a desire to remain in CA. Though there is nothing wrong with wanting to stay in your home state, it may lead you into a situation in which you are not entirely comfortable or in agreement with school policies. That is not a good learning situation, and one you may regret.

I have to agree with darkjedi that unless you are very comfortable with LLU's policies, drop them. I get the sense that you are keeping them on your list out of a desire to remain in CA. Though there is nothing wrong with wanting to stay in your home state, it may lead you into a situation in which you are not entirely comfortable or in agreement with school policies. That is not a good learning situation, and one you may regret.

Yep, I agree with this. It is not only the lifestyle policy but I believe you have to attend chapel weekly as well. That's an hour you could spend studying or having fun. Plus personally, I would feel bothered by being required to attend a religious service that I don't believe in. I would want to spend that time practicing MY religion.

As an M2 who is just learning about residency options, I think you would be able to get back to California after med school. I presume you already have connections there from shadowing and living there. This will make it easier to get away rotations and housing (friends/family) for your aways. I would also check into the other two schools' match lists. If they have sent people to California that also helps "pave the way" so to speak as good interns/residents from one school could make them want another graduate from that school. I'm in the middle of nowhere US and my school sent a ton of people to UCLA this year, so it's possible.

So Creighton just increased my scholarship this morning....

Is the money worth it to leave CA?

Reactions: 1 users
So Creighton just increased my scholarship this morning....

Is the money worth it to leave CA?

You're asking for opinions here. As is clear above, in my opinion and others, it was already worth leaving before the increase. Congrats on financing your education more easily.

They increased my scholarship too. Super stoked.

Personally I think Creighton will be better than Loma Linda. Then again, no in-n-out for 4 years? ouch.