LMFT vs LPC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJPSYCHE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum. Please forgive me if this point has been addressed. I recently retired from 25 years in Police work (45 yrs old) and have completed my BS in Psychology.

I am preparing to enter graduate education and cannot decide between LPC and LMFT.
My primary interest is assessing and treating mental disorders. It can be in the couples/family/individual context. Either path must be completed in an online learning environment due to familial and continuing professional obligations.

It appears that either path would allow me to treat mental health disorders..
Any thoughts/insight regarding any relevant considerations would be greatly appreciated.

My school considerations thus far are Northcentral University for LMFT and Bellevue University for LPC.

Thank you !

Members don't see this ad.

I am new to this forum. Please forgive me if this point has been addressed. I recently retired from 25 years in Police work (45 yrs old) and have completed my BS in Psychology.

I am preparing to enter graduate education and cannot decide between LPC and LMFT.
My primary interest is assessing and treating mental disorders. It can be in the couples/family/individual context. Either path must be completed in an online learning environment due to familial and continuing professional obligations.

It appears that either path would allow me to treat mental health disorders..
Any thoughts/insight regarding any relevant considerations would be greatly appreciated.

My school considerations thus far are Northcentral University for LMFT and Bellevue University for LPC.

Thank you !

Those two choices aren't ideal. Neither school has a particularly good reputation. Northcentral University is a for-profit college, which isn't going to look great on your resume. Bellevue University's online program is not CACREP-accredited, although I'm not sure how much this matters in your area. In some places and in some professions, accreditation is important/non-negotiable. Either way, it's usually an indicator of the quality of the school.

If you must do it online, it might be a good idea to pick an inexpensive brick-and-mortar state school that offers an online option and has relevant accreditation. I don't know much about LPC/LMFT (I'm an M.S.W.), but I'm sure other people have opinions on the quality of these programs. If you want to go the counseling route, here is a list of CACREP online programs: http://www.cacrep.org/directory/dir...&online=1&keywords=&submitthis=#searchresults

Bear in mind that you'll still have to complete an internship, which can't be done online. It might actually end up being faster and easier to do a part-time program rather than an online one. If you give us your location, we might be able to help you find one.

Thank you for the response. I appreciate your insight. I am aware of the extensive internship hours required and post grad supervision requirements in accordance with licensing requirements.
I am in Southern New Jersey. CACREP accreditation is no longer required pursuant to New Jersey's specifications.
I have read many negative reviews regarding Northcentral. Since Bellevue is a traditional brick and mortar university with online programs, I am leaning in that direction. I will certainly review any suggestions you may have!
Again, thank you for your time and recommendations!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another reason that folks tend to recommend CACREP-programs (regardless of whether your specific state requires it) is that IF you ever have to move to another state for any reason (they happen unexpectedly at times, y'know!), then it may help with portability across state lines.

CACREP Counseling programs or MSW programs are going to be your better bet for portability. In most instances, they're going to be the better bet for job searches in the future as well (although clinical MSW folks may have a leg up in some areas...). Most LCSWs tend to have more flexibility re: their scope of practice than LMFTs (caveat: that I have met, in the realms that I have worked).

G'luck~ :luck:

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate your suggestions! I am going to pursue the LPC path via a Masters of Science in Mental Health Counseling. Based on everything I have read, Social Work is also a great path.

I have both certifications you are asking about. The value of the degree really depends on the state you plan on practicing in. I live in a state where the MSW is head a shoulders above any other masters level cert. If I could have done if differently, I would have pursued an MSW.

Before dropping 20-40K on a masters. Consider visiting, calling, or emailing local therapists and ask them about their degree. They'll tell you which one makes sense for your state. You could also look at the classified sections and see what cert. employers are requesting.

I have both certifications you are asking about. The value of the degree really depends on the state you plan on practicing in. I live in a state where the MSW is head a shoulders above any other masters level cert. If I could have done if differently, I would have pursued an MSW.

Before dropping 20-40K on a masters. Consider visiting, calling, or emailing local therapists and ask them about their degree. They'll tell you which one makes sense for your state. You could also look at the classified sections and see what cert. employers are requesting.

Yeah, I don't know about New Jersey, but if it's at all similar to New York, an LMHC is going to have a harder time getting a job. OP, definitely look at what professions are Medicaid/Medicare-eligible providers in NJ. I know that LMHCs were fighting for Medicare eligibility a few years ago, and I'm not sure if they succeeded, and I don't know what the situation with Medicaid is. You might want to consider a clinical M.S.W. if you want to serve the Medicaid/Medicare population, which is a huge chunk of your clients if you want to work with the mentally ill.

Yeah, I don't know about New Jersey, but if it's at all similar to New York, an LMHC is going to have a harder time getting a job. OP, definitely look at what professions are Medicaid/Medicare-eligible providers in NJ. I know that LMHCs were fighting for Medicare eligibility a few years ago, and I'm not sure if they succeeded, and I don't know what the situation with Medicaid is. You might want to consider a clinical M.S.W. if you want to serve the Medicaid/Medicare population, which is a huge chunk of your clients if you want to work with the mentally ill.

Medicaid is state by state (though honestly I think most states utilize LPC/LMHC providers). LMHC and LPC aren't yet recognized by Medicare. I even think a bill was passed once, but then not implemented (or they took a recess or something) and the bill did not go into effect. I think that was in 2008 or 2009, I can't find my article on the legislation right now. There is frequently a bill up before the house or the senate trying to allow LMHCs to provide medicare. I think it will eventually happen, but I can't tell you when. I know that VAs finally did it, but they are slow to change, and there are a third of the postings for LPC/LMHCs that there are for LCSWs.

I second what Qwerk and Costanza said. Good advice!