LMU c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First, DVMDream, like anyone else, can post to any board if they have something to say.

Second, something about this whole process stinks. I'm just another of 1000's of people that paid an exorbitant sum of money to apply, interviewed, was accepted, and now somehow find myself on the waitlist (assuming I let them know). No other school does it like this that I'm aware of (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe this is the way it will be at other schools in the future, but so far it doesn't seem like typical behavior. The response from AAVMC was predictable...LMU didn't violate any policy by doing this. I'm not surprised by their answer. They lobby for schools, not applicants. Nothing will come of this. Just part of a frustrating and expensive game.

Wow they didn't do anything about it? How is this okay?! Crazy.

Members don't see this ad.

First, DVMDream, like anyone else, can post to any board if they have something to say.

Second, something about this whole process stinks. I'm just another of 1000's of people that paid an exorbitant sum of money to apply, interviewed, was accepted, and now somehow find myself on the waitlist (assuming I let them know). No other school does it like this that I'm aware of (correct me if I'm wrong). Maybe this is the way it will be at other schools in the future, but so far it doesn't seem like typical behavior. The response from AAVMC was predictable...LMU didn't violate any policy by doing this. I'm not surprised by their answer. They lobby for schools, not applicants. Nothing will come of this. Just part of a frustrating and expensive game.
I suspect they will word their agreement differently in the future, however. Even if this is in the letter of the agreement, it's not in the spirit of it. And vet med is a small world. I wonder what the clinics they are sending their students to will feel about this.

Again, sorry for you going through this. Even if they do nothing, I'd make sure to make some noise.

I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. I can't imagine how you feel having been accepted and now not having that. I hope you can get off the waitlist now, or accepted elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)

FYI I would seriously sue their asses... make it a precedent... make them realise they cannot treat people like they have

it does work... and it will work... now whether you have the stamina or ability to do so is up to you...

also FYI I am a vet student and a mod.... I can post whereever I like... and I post to help out....

Reactions: 1 user
As an applicant, I was notified of a seat for offer. I was told at that time that I could choose to accept the seat, decline the seat or wait for answers from other schools. However, I was told in the same sentence that should I choose to wait I might not have a seat available when the time comes. It was also said at that time that 65% of the seats offered had been accepted by the student. I sent written notification that I would like to officially accept my seat and just recently recieved an official acceptance letter with details on paying a matriculation fee. If I chose to go to another school or not pay the fee my seat would be forfeit. What it boils down to is I had an offer, I accepted that offer and I have paid my fee to become an official student. If you chose not to accept your seat when it was offered I'm sorry for the disappointment but you could have always accepted that seat and then changed your mind if you wanted a different school. I'm sure that is what will happen and then people from the waitlist will move up at that point.

Reactions: 3 users
As an applicant, I was notified of a seat for offer. I was told at that time that I could choose to accept the seat, decline the seat or wait for answers from other schools. However, I was told in the same sentence that should I choose to wait I might not have a seat available when the time comes. It was also said at that time that 65% of the seats offered had been accepted by the student. I sent written notification that I would like to officially accept my seat and just recently recieved an official acceptance letter with details on paying a matriculation fee. If I chose to go to another school or not pay the fee my seat would be forfeit. What it boils down to is I had an offer, I accepted that offer and I have paid my fee to become an official student. If you chose not to accept your seat when it was offered I'm sorry for the disappointment but you could have always accepted that seat and then changed your mind if you wanted a different school. I'm sure that is what will happen and then people from the waitlist will move up at that point.

Point is you shouldn't have to send a written notification to "hold your seat" before the April deadline. To do so is basically coercion. If you are offered an acceptance, that should be it. I'd be super pissed off if I was told I was accepted and then because I waited, say even a day late (depending on when you interviewed and how full the class was at the time) only to find out I was on the wait list because I didn't respond the fastest. Choosing a school shouldn't be a rushed decision. This is a lot of money for people to think about and they deserve to have all their options in front of them.

Reactions: 2 users
Point is you shouldn't have to send a written notification to "hold your seat" before the April deadline. To do so is basically coercion. If you are offered an acceptance, that should be it. I'd be super pissed off if I was told I was accepted and then because I waited, say even a day late (depending on when you interviewed and how full the class was at the time) only to find out I was on the wait list because I didn't respond the fastest. Choosing a school shouldn't be a rushed decision. This is a lot of money for people to think about and they deserve to have all their options in front of them.

Again, you could have accepted your seat when they notified you of your offer and then changed your mind from there. Better safe than sorry. Sorry if that how you feel, but this is how I feel. I don't see it as coercion but then again that's just me.

Again, you could have accepted your seat when they notified you of your offer and then changed your mind from there. Better safe than sorry. Sorry if that how you feel, but this is how I feel. I don't see it as coercion but then again that's just me.
yeah but what if you tried to respond and were too late? how would you feel then? Other schools have waitlists for this reason.

It's shady at best, unethical at worst.

yeah but what if you tried to respond and were too late? how would you feel then? Other schools have waitlists for this reason.

Exactly. For example, When I applied to vet school most recently, I didn't have a smartphone. If I had gotten accepted but wasn't able to respond because I was at work and didn't have email access, I would be beyond angry. Couple of hours can make a world of a difference. Heck, even minutes matter.

The whole point of the April 15th deadline is so that everyone is on the same time schedule. So that no one person has an advantage over another person. That is why the date is given, so that you can be assured that if you have your confirmation in by April 15th you will get a seat. What if you sent your confirmation on February 26th with 10 other people but only 8 seats were left? What if you had only had your acceptance for a few days at that point? That is what is wrong. It is shady, and disrespectful.

I do see your point but again, you send written acceptance of your seat via email or snail mail. I was notified and emailed right then and there. And again I was told there was a chance of no seat being available if I waited. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had that information relayed to them. Again, I would have accepted my seat regardless and then if need be change my mind and notify the school right away.

The whole point of the April 15th deadline is so that everyone is on the same time schedule. So that no one person has an advantage over another person. That is why the date is given, so that you can be assured that if you have your confirmation in by April 15th you will get a seat. What if you sent your confirmation on February 26th with 10 other people but only 8 seats were left? What if you had only had your acceptance for a few days at that point? That is what is wrong. It is shady, and disrespectful.
you also don't have to agree to it (tuskegee, international schools typically don't)

Exactly. For example, When I applied to vet school most recently, I didn't have a smartphone. If I had gotten accepted but wasn't able to respond because I was at work and didn't have email access, I would be beyond angry. Couple of hours can make a world of a difference. Heck, even minutes matter.

Just being in a different time zone could be the difference between you missing out and not missing out and that is sad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do see your point but again, you send written acceptance of your seat via email or snail mail. I was notified and emailed right then and there. And again I was told there was a chance of no seat being available if I waited. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had that information relayed to them. Again, I would have accepted my seat regardless and then if need be change my mind and notify the school right away.
which is coercion. I bet you felt like you might not get to go to vet school if you didn't reply immediately...

Reactions: 1 users
No, I didn't feel that way at all. Besides, you don't know the details. Neither do I. For all I know 85 seats were offered to those that they accepted and then as people backed out other applicants were notified of that seat being available. It is still possible for people to back out and seats to open up. Believe me I know the disappointment of not getting in and I never felt coerced into going to LMU either. In fact, I would have chosen them above some of the other schools anyways.

No, I didn't feel that way at all. Besides, you don't know the details. Neither do I. For all I know 85 seats were offered to those that they accepted and then as people backed out other applicants were notified of that seat being available. It is still possible for people to back out and seats to open up. Believe me I know the disappointment of not getting in and I never felt coerced into going to LMU either. In fact, I would have chosen them above some of the other schools anyways.
obviously not as people are being told they will be placed on a waitlist now...

I feel like some of you have blinders on or something. You just described the exact definition of what coercion means and then claim you didn't feel coerced.

And you also need to take the blinders off and read some posts as people who were accepted are saying they are now being placed on the waitlist...

It's possible that their application status was pending and now they are waitlisted. Just saying...I'm sure the true facts are between the admissions committee and the applicants. And maybe I do have blinders on..again just stating my OPINIONS! Never once have I stated what I'm saying is fact or not. I have stated what is fact about my application and my status.

Coercion:the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats

Never once did I feel forced or threatened to do anything regarding my application.

It's possible that their application status was pending and now they are waitlisted. Just saying...I'm sure the true facts are between the admissions committee and the applicants. And maybe I do have blinders on..again just stating my OPINIONS! Never once have I stated what I'm saying is fact or not. I have stated what is fact about my application and my status.

Coercion:the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats

Never once did I feel forced or threatened to do anything regarding my application.
you didn't feel like your seat was threatened (to not exist) if you didn't reply quickly? Because you basically said everyone should have acted quickly to ensure it....so it must have been a thought.

If you read the post by the person, their status went from accepted to waitlisted. Really, the post is there for you to see and read it. I feel like you're just choosing to ignore it.

Also, "to compel to an act or choice." Either definition fits this situation in my mind.

How is what LMU doing different than every other school that has a wait list?

Because the normal process is to send out offers with a guaranteed spot so long as you respond by a certain deadline. They don't play a game of "first-come, first-served," which completely defeats the centralized application/acceptance process.

Schools that pull moves like this deserve, in my opinion, to not receive accreditation if they haven't, or to lose it if they have. It's unprofessional, no matter what the fine print says on their letters of acceptance.

Since no one but the school has all the details, lets not make assumptions and wait to point fingers after we have heard from them. Also, DVMDream, I don't know why you're even on this board since you're already a vet student and have no say over what happens to LMU. I appreciate your two cents, but since you're already in vet school, I'm sure you have more important things to focus on. :)

I'm the only person around here allowed to yell at DVMD. And btw, you have no say over what happens to LMU either.

Since we have someone here (VetAshley2117) who apparently has gone through LMU's process and was able to speak to exactly how the offer was made, I think we have plenty of details.

As an applicant, I was notified of a seat for offer. I was told at that time that I could choose to accept the seat, decline the seat or wait for answers from other schools. However, I was told in the same sentence that should I choose to wait I might not have a seat available when the time comes.

That right there is coercion. It's practically textbook coercion. If that's what LMU has done, it's unprofessional, and LMU should be ashamed of themselves for pulling that kind of stunt. Serious schools run by professionals would not do that.

Frankly, if I were an applicant and I saw that on my offer, it would be a very, very large red flag that would deter me from accepting.

Even if this is in the letter of the agreement, it's not in the spirit of it.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
I didn't apply here, but boy if I did would I have been mad. I got accepted into my in state school and haven't sent in my official acceptance. I want to make sure I'm making the right move, wait to see what happens at other schools, and THEN make my decision. An acceptance, in my opinion, should be a commitment to a school, not a wishy washy attempt to cover all your bases or "reserve" your possible spot. It sets a terrible precedence.

If you chose not to accept your seat when it was offered I'm sorry for the disappointment but you could have always accepted that seat and then changed your mind if you wanted a different school. I'm sure that is what will happen and then people from the waitlist will move up at that point.

Other than certain special circumstances you should not be "changing your mind" once you accept. Accepting is a statement of intent to attend and it's telling the school to hold you a seat.

I didn't apply here, but boy if I did would I have been mad. I got accepted into my in state school and haven't sent in my official acceptance. I want to make sure I'm making the right move, wait to see what happens at other schools, and THEN make my decision. An acceptance, in my opinion, should be a commitment to a school, not a wishy washy attempt to cover all your bases or "reserve" your possible spot. It sets a terrible precedence.

Absolutely.

People are allowed to accept seats at however many schools they are accepted to, and they don't have to make a final decision until April 15th, so obviously some seats will come available after that date, and thus people will be called off the wait list.

You should not be accepting offers at multiple schools. Accepting an offer is signifying intent to attend. This isn't like applying, where you spam out applications in hopes of getting in somewhere. You should not be telling multiple schools to hold you a spot because you might want to attend.

Well. At least applicants know one thing ahead of time: LMU has no credibility for the professional development portion of its curriculum!

Well. At least applicants know one thing ahead of time: LMU has no credibility for the professional development portion of its curriculum!

Say whatever you like about the admissions process-we'll have to agree to disagree. But when you start to insult the professors, who are well-respected and have taught at many different vet schools all over the country and worked on different admissions committees, I get offended as well. As a student ambassador and current undergrad student I've gotten to know many of these professors and saying that they have no credibility for professional development is shooting down YOUR (and my) future colleagues in this close-knit profession. All the professors and rotations sites that LMU is affiliated with are very excited to be working towards a better profession. That starts by having mutual respect shared between professors and students alike.

I, for one, am PROUD to be a member of the LMU-CVM Class of 2018.

Reactions: 3 users
That starts by having mutual respect shared between professors and students alike.

I'll be happy to demonstrate mutual respect when it is mutual. Telling applicants that you are offering them a seat, but making it a race to accept by then further telling people "Oh sorry, you don't REALLY have an offer because other people accepted first" is not respectful.

You earn respect. LMU is not doing that.

I think it's great that you're proud to be a member of LMU c/o 2018. Hopefully you can be an instigator of change for the culture that they appear to have.

I interviewed in December with LMU and all of their staff was very professional. I had an excellent first impression of the school! I understand everyone's panic since getting into vet school is life changing, but no one knows the full details yet. I'm sure all of this will be clarified well before April, due to all of the concerns. I'm currently an applicant in the pending category and would be thankful to be on the alternate list at this point. If posts on a public forum are enough to make applicants dislike the school, then students in my situation wouldn't mind if you decided to attend another school. There are plenty of applicants that support this school and would love to be a part of it's inaugural class! Congrats if you got accepted into other schools, but keep in mind that it's slightly insulting to hear people put down somewhere you're working hard to get into :] We all knew the application process would be stressful, stay positive until a final decision is made!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 4 users
keep in mind that it's slightly insulting to hear people put down somewhere you're working hard to get into

It shouldn't be. Are you responsible for their admissions process? I assume not. In which case, you shouldn't be insulted when they called out for an admissions process that lacks clarity and professionalism. It doesn't make any sense at all for you to be insulted.

Look. I get that you all are SUPER excited to be accepted, or in the process, or wherever you are at. And that's awesome. It really is. But don't start making the mistake of putting blinders on and knee-jerk defending the school just because it's where you hope to attend. That doesn't do anyone any good, <including> LMU. To be the best school it can be it <needs> to be called out when it's doing something inappropriate. That's how institutions improve. They <don't> improve when people start making excuses or just look the other way at things that should be corrected.

And their admissions process should be corrected.

I'm sure there are lots of great things about LMU. And I'm sure the students who attend there will be on par with all the other vet students in the system. You guys shouldn't take criticism of LMU so deeply personally, and you also shouldn't be so quick to defend something that is extremely sketchy. I go to a great school, too. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have its own problems (right now, I'd argue that my school's biggest challenge is its inability to control tuition), and recognizing them is the first step to correction.

Last edited:
I'm curious if LMU sent this letter with its acceptance notifications. There is nothing vague about the wording in it.
Also, I am under the impression that an offer is not accepted until the deposit is sent in from the applicant and that deposit holds the seat. A verbal "yes I'm going to attend" is the least binding thing I can think of.

Midwestern, the other new school, has not done this. Their admissions have been rolling but they have also created a waitlist and stated in no uncertain terms that if you are offered admission, you have until April 15th to decide.

Attachments

• acceptance.pdf
    324.7 KB · Views: 86
Okay, I thought I'd give my two cents on the whole situation. When I was originally accepted in November, I had a wonderful first impression of the school. Everyone was so friendly and the campus was rural and I loved it. In my acceptance email it said nothing about once the class is full we would no longer have a seat. Once I started to get those emails I did feel really pressured. I also thought that it would be unethical for me to accept my seat and continue to pursue other schools. The pressure I was feeling from them to accept was really giving me a negative feeling towards the school at that point. I talked with a few vets about it and they all had the same opinion- not to accept my seat. If LMU was already making a bad impression on my future colleagues before it opened, I did not want to go there. I know that a DVM is a DVM, but these are people who are my future employers and if they are not confident in a school, they will probably not be confident in its students. The situation just gave me such a bad feeling and completely changed my attitude towards LMU. I think that maybe this could be brought up to the admissions committee so that they could make a change for next year. Most of the other vet schools give students until the April 14 deadline and there is no problem. The other schools don't have huge SDN arguments about their admissions process that could possibly turn off future applicants. I don't know why LMU has the process that they do, but if they just went along with the other schools things would probably be a lot more peaceful on here.

Yea… I really did love the school when I went and visited. I did think the wording on all of my paperwork and emails was a bit odd. I've been accepted at other schools and have not been sent regular updates with how full their classes are. I feel really blessed that I have been accepted to other programs, so I will be a vet regardless of this snafu. I was mostly bummed that I felt like a decision, which was supposed to be all mine, was sort of ripped away from me. I got through all the hard stuff, my academics were some how good enough, my interview was solid, and I was offered admission on the spot. Why would I now be interested in being "wait listed" after my hard work? Lame, because I was seriously considering LMU. All things happen for a reason though.

I feel bad for the "pending" applicants though. It sounds like they would now have to wait for LMU to get through the rank list of those previously accepted (now wait listed) before they even get considered. :-/

Guys,

Thank you for your comments - good & bad! I thought you'd like to know that we here at VMCAS and AAVMC are taking this matter under consideration with our Admissions & Recruitment Committee. Early in the thread, someone stated that, "The response from AAVMC was predictable...LMU didn't violate any policy by doing this. I'm not surprised by their answer." (Ouch!)

LMU did not violate the April 15th Acceptance Deadline Policy, because they did not REQUIRE that anyone accept the offer prior to April 15th. This discussion really isn't about that though, it's about the numbers of offer letters they sent, and whether they will honor the seats they offered, even if it's above their 85 seats.

I want you to know that A) We ARE listening, and we ARE looking into this; B) We (AAVMC & VMCAS) DO have the interest of the applicants in mind and if there are any processes that undermine the success of students, we WILL do something about it.

This matter is currently in the hands of the AAVMC Admissions & Recruitment Committee and I PROMISE to keep all of you abreast of any findings / results.

TW

Reactions: 4 users
Guys,

Thank you for your comments - good & bad! I thought you'd like to know that we here at VMCAS and AAVMC are taking this matter under consideration with our Admissions & Recruitment Committee. Early in the thread, someone stated that, "The response from AAVMC was predictable...LMU didn't violate any policy by doing this. I'm not surprised by their answer." (Ouch!)

LMU did not violate the April 15th Acceptance Deadline Policy, because they did not REQUIRE that anyone accept the offer prior to April 15th. This discussion really isn't about that though, it's about the numbers of offer letters they sent, and whether they will honor the seats they offered, even if it's above their 85 seats.

I want you to know that A) We ARE listening, and we ARE looking into this; B) We (AAVMC & VMCAS) DO have the interest of the applicants in mind and if there are any processes that undermine the success of students, we WILL do something about it.

This matter is currently in the hands of the AAVMC Admissions & Recruitment Committee and I PROMISE to keep all of you abreast of any findings / results.

TW
they didn't require, they just strongly encouraged it at the cost of your acceptance (at least that was what was implied in what the students have said). Like I said before, it's still not in the spirit of the agreement made even if it does follow the rule to the letter by not REQUIRING it.

Guys,

TW

Thank you for replying. Ultimately, no one knows the rules like you guys do (as much as we would like to think we do).

I understand they did not say in the acceptance that a student is required to accept before April 15th, but in a backwards way they did make that the policy. They just didn't outright say that. The class was full well before April 15th and they required students to respond before the class filled up (this is provided that they will not honor an acceptance that has already been sent out due to the class being full). So, in a shady, backwards way, they did require an acceptance of the offer before April 15th. I feel like that is worse than stating outright that a student must accept their offer before April 15th. I would rather be told honestly what was happening instead of being stabbed in the back.

I am sure you guys will figure out what is really going on, since we can only see what has been posted on this thread. I hope it is really all just a misunderstanding of the email that the school sent out.

I need help from you guys.. does anyone have a letter from LMU that states that their letter of offer will NOT be honored in any way shape or form?

Thanx

And @VetAshley2117 as well. I think she posted that she got one of the "your seat may not be available" emails.....

I think she accepted her seat. It was her original acceptance email that indicated if she waits that her seat might not be available, so really anyone that was accepted probably has an email indicating that if they hold off on accepting they might lose out on a spot in the class. Kind of doubt anyone that has accepted their seat will be willing to help though...

I got a phone call originally saying I was accepted. Most people did, I think. They told me to accept my seat I can email them. I don't really remember much else because I was so excited I was accepted. We just recently received our official acceptance letters. I've attached my acceptance letter to this post.

Attachments

• vetschool!.png
    vetschool!.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 135
I think she accepted her seat. It was her original acceptance email that indicated if she waits that her seat might not be available, so really anyone that was accepted probably has an email indicating that if they hold off on accepting they might lose out on a spot in the class. Kind of doubt anyone that has accepted their seat will be willing to help though...

Since you seem to think I won't be helpful here is the acceptance letter I received as well as the details on starting their matriculation process. This is all the documentation I have as far as acceptance.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1393630444.871399.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1393630458.170422.jpg

Obviously I've covered personal information such as address and such.

I got a phone call originally saying I was accepted. Most people did, I think. They told me to accept my seat I can email them. I don't really remember much else because I was so excited I was accepted. We just recently received our official acceptance letters. I've attached my acceptance letter to this post.
nicolett is correct-they called people to inform them of the admissions decision, and you could either email or snail mail Dr. Schadler to "accept" your seat. They did not send out official acceptance letters with the matriculation info and acceptance form (requiring the deposit postmarked by April 17th) until February 18th.

Since you seem to think I won't be helpful here is the acceptance letter I received as well as the details on starting their matriculation process. This is all the documentation I have as far as acceptance. View attachment 178810View attachment 178811

Obviously I've covered personal information such as address and such.

Yes, but I think what people really want to see is this email:

I do see your point but again, you send written acceptance of your seat via email or snail mail. I was notified and emailed right then and there. And again I was told there was a chance of no seat being available if I waited.

This was the email I received after accepting my seat.

Thank you for the excellent news! You are now officially a part of LMU-CVM's 1st Class Team. The first day of class will be Monday August 18th (orientation will be on the preceding Thursday and Friday).

You will be receiving matriculation information within the next two weeks which will include a variety of paperwork and advice on how to start planning for our program.

If you have any questions prior to that time please don't hesitate to contact me.

Congratulations once again,

Yes, but I think what people really want to see is this email:

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1393632142.262030.jpg

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1393632178.561630.jpg

Here the email I sent and the response back. I was originally notified of my acceptance by phone as were others.

This is another email I received...

LMU-CVM is happy to report that our first class team is now over 50% full. To officially accept the seat you need to contact Dr. Schadler via email or mail to indicate your decision. The offer of a seat is contingent upon the number of students who have already officially joined our “First Class” team. Once our 85 seats are filled unfortunately we will not be able to admit additional students.

Also, please remember that all pre-requisites must be completed with a C grade or higher prior to the first day of class. Please make sure that you have successfully fulfilled all of your pre-requisites. You will find a list of all pre-requisites here: http://www.lmunet.edu/cvm/Admissions/requirements.shtml.

Thank you,

View attachment 178813
View attachment 178814

Here the email I sent and the response back. I was originally notified of my acceptance by phone as were others.

Ah. I understood you to be saying that you received email informing you that your seat may not be available, per this post:

As an applicant, I was notified of a seat for offer. I was told at that time that I could choose to accept the seat, decline the seat or wait for answers from other schools. However, I was told in the same sentence that should I choose to wait I might not have a seat available when the time comes.

I gather that was inaccurate?

I think it's awesome that VMCAS and AAVMC are taking the time to look into this. Schools need to be held accountable - all of them, not just LMU.

It is inaccurate in the sense that it was not done in an email, but over the phone.

It is inaccurate in the sense that it was not done in an email, but over the phone.

I also don't see where I said email...I said I sent an email back! and yes I'm glad it is being looked into as well is things can be cleared up and if we have more than 85 people in our first class the more the merrier! Many of us are already making friends and bonding! We are all very excited!