LMU c/o 2020 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

Yeah no problem
GPA: 3.43
Science GPA: 3.35
Last 45 GPA: somewhere around a 3.3

I also had somewhere around 700 hours probably all small animal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students out there who can answer questions when I calm down enough to think of some?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got a call this afternoon for acceptance but I decided to go with another school. Good luck to the rest of you waiting to hear!

I also got an acceptance call this afternoon! I am so excited and stressed with all the things I have to do now. Lol So haapy!!

Reactions: 1 user
Me too I am definitely going to Lincoln. I need to find a roommate ok with cats lol

I've been accepted! Is there a facebook group or a group on here for accepted students?

Got the call but I gave up my spot! I hope one of you gets it

Should I interpret not getting a call yet as a really bad sign?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I interpret not getting a call yet as a really bad sign?
There's still time! It isn't quite the 15th yet, and the email said they would be making a lot of calls through the few days after the 15th. Remember that there are people who are getting calls who are declining seats, too! Don't give up hope!!

Reactions: 1 users
does anyone know if there is an accepted students day?

I received a voicemail this afternoon, but I will be declining. Good luck waitlisters! :)

There's still time! It isn't quite the 15th yet, and the email said they would be making a lot of calls through the few days after the 15th. Remember that there are people who are getting calls who are declining seats, too! Don't give up hope!!

I got a call! In complete shock!

Reactions: 1 users
Sure my stats are embarrassingly low.
24 y/o female
Bachlors in Biology
CGPA: 3.19 (I was a terrible student my first two years of college so this really hurt my GPA)
Science GPA:3.52
Last 45: 3.66
GRE (humiliating): 294
Experience:
Veterinary:

sa:9,000 + hr (working as vet assistant)
Exotics/wildlife: 496 (zoo hospital internship) + 4680 (working as vet assistant in hospital that saw exotics/avian with small animal)
LA:44 (shadowing during equine house calls and dairy herd checks)
Research :690 hr
Non Veterinary Animal related experience:
356- interning at different wings in zoo.

180- at a local horse stable volenteering

Good for you!

I am so excited to meet all of you! Congratulations to everyone who has already been accepted!

Our clinical year is distributed, not at another school. We have clinical affiliates (look on vetmed.lmunet.edu under clinical sites) that we do rotations with. The big hubs are Lexington, KY, Harrogate, and Knoxville, TN. We have core and electives rotations that are customizable (like for specialty core, I can do 1 equine and 1 small animal since I'm equine focused where as someone small animal would do 2 small animal, etc). It gives us a lot of flexibility to "track" unofficially.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
How many electives do emu students have to take? How does it work if you choose an elective such as the houston zoo?

How many electives do emu students have to take? How does it work if you choose an elective such as the houston zoo?
We have 12 weeks of electives-3 4 week blocks. 1 of those blocks can be broken into 2 2 week blocks for externships that only allow 2 week stays. You can chose to retake core rotations, do a NAVLE prep block, or find other rotations that may interest you.

If you want to do an externship with someone that isn't on the affiliate list, you have to fill out a form basically listing 4 options for dates, clinic info, supervising doctor info, and a blurb about why you want to do an externship there/how it will contribute to your education. Before submitting to the office of clinical relations, you have to contact the clinic and make sure the dates would work for both parties and that they are willing to submit 2 evaluations, in addition to any other requirements the site might have (i.e., several of the large equine practices require a resume and a cover letter +/- letter from a professor). Once you submit the form, the office of clinical relations checks to make sure the vet is licensed in their state and doesn't have sanctions or anything against them.

In November of our 3rd year, we submit our final proposed schedule, which goes into a software program to basically optimize all the schedules using a lot of criteria so that everyone gets core rotations done and hopefully doesn't have to move every month. If you've submitted an externship request, those take very high priority in order to allow you to go within the dates that work for you and the clinics.

Obviously we haven't gone through this yet, but this is the gist from our presentation a couple of weeks ago. After finals in May, I'm going to start filling out externship requests because I will be applying for internships in fourth year, several of which require externships in order to be considered for and the due dates for internship apps and the match are around October/November, so I need to do externships on the first part of my rotations, not in the spring of my forth year when I'm about to graduate.

I hope this makes sense!

Reactions: 2 users
We have 12 weeks of electives-3 4 week blocks. 1 of those blocks can be broken into 2 2 week blocks for externships that only allow 2 week stays. You can chose to retake core rotations, do a NAVLE prep block, or find other rotations that may interest you.

If you want to do an externship with someone that isn't on the affiliate list, you have to fill out a form basically listing 4 options for dates, clinic info, supervising doctor info, and a blurb about why you want to do an externship there/how it will contribute to your education. Before submitting to the office of clinical relations, you have to contact the clinic and make sure the dates would work for both parties and that they are willing to submit 2 evaluations, in addition to any other requirements the site might have (i.e., several of the large equine practices require a resume and a cover letter +/- letter from a professor). Once you submit the form, the office of clinical relations checks to make sure the vet is licensed in their state and doesn't have sanctions or anything against them.

In November of our 3rd year, we submit our final proposed schedule, which goes into a software program to basically optimize all the schedules using a lot of criteria so that everyone gets core rotations done and hopefully doesn't have to move every month. If you've submitted an externship request, those take very high priority in order to allow you to go within the dates that work for you and the clinics.

Obviously we haven't gone through this yet, but this is the gist from our presentation a couple of weeks ago. After finals in May, I'm going to start filling out externship requests because I will be applying for internships in fourth year, several of which require externships in order to be considered for and the due dates for internship apps and the match are around October/November, so I need to do externships on the first part of my rotations, not in the spring of my forth year when I'm about to graduate.

I hope this makes sense!
Yes thank you! (my apologies for the typo earlier) It seems as if a lot of the hospitals to choose from for the electives and some core classes are quite far from campus ( I primarily looked at the Small animal general practice for 4 weeks ) Does the school help you with housing for each of those 4 weeks?

Last edited:
Has anyone started their castle branch stuff yet? I was just wondering how long after you sign up you can get to the vaccine forms. I would check my self but it's down for maintenance and I wanted to get my rabies series ordered on Monday.

Has anyone started their castle branch stuff yet? I was just wondering how long after you sign up you can get to the vaccine forms. I would check my self but it's down for maintenance and I wanted to get my rabies series ordered on Monday.

You can download the forms as soon as you sign up. Your account is ready with all the forms you need.

Posting for a friend who was called off the waitlist last week! He was a second time applicant with around a 3.2 cumulative GPA. That's all I know! Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to those waiting to hear!

Does anyone know if the class is full now? I was just wondering since it has been a few days since decisions were due...

Does anyone know if the class is full now? I was just wondering since it has been a few days since decisions were due...
I think they will send out an email when the class is full. Check the c/o 2019 thread.

Hey guys, congrats to those who were accepted and to those who weren't, don't worry there's always this cycle (with me!).

I was just wondering if anyone who was accepted, and maybe anyone who was waitlisted or denied would share their stats. I see a few that did but would love to get more of an idea if I have even a slight chance of getting in.
Thank you!

Don't lose hope waitlisters! In c/o 2019 people were accepted well into May

Received call today offered seat but I have already accepted another school, Good luck to the next in line!!

Received a call this morning but I have already accepted a spot at another school. Good luck to everyone else on the waitlist!!! DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE!

Does anyone know when the first day of class is? I know our orientation is Aug.1-4, and I was thinking that classes start the following week. However, according to the online university calendar, class doesn't start until Aug.15.

Does anyone know when the first day of class is? I know our orientation is Aug.1-4, and I was thinking that classes start the following week. However, according to the online university calendar, class doesn't start until Aug.15.
The rest of the school starts on aug 15 but cvm starts aug 8 The CVM website has our specific calendar posted.

That's what I was thinking originally. Thanks for the clarification.

That's what I was thinking originally. Thanks for the clarification.

You should also be receiving your class/lab schedule in the near future. 2018/2019 just got released.

Can any current students tell me how often you use coveralls? They are expensive so I only ordered one pair so far and I was wondering if that will be enough for now.

Can any current students tell me how often you use coveralls? They are expensive so I only ordered one pair so far and I was wondering if that will be enough for now.

First semester probably 4-5 times (handling + PE labs for cattle and horses and 1 small ruminant lab), then 2-3 times 2nd-4th (PEs 2nd and 3rd, therio labs 4th). Most people only have/use 1 pair. You have time between labs to wash.

Last edited: