LMU c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndThenIMetHer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am actually from Florida and my IS is UF obviously but I visited LMU and I immediately fell in love with the campus and the people. Plus they are now allowing on-campus students to keep pets! This beautiful school is probably my number one choice. Who else will be applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still considering on whether or not I want to apply here. But I'm following!

I was just accepted and will be starting in the fall!! I fell in love with the campus, too, and I am so excited to start. I will be living in the pet friendly dorms. If anyone has questions, I will be following this thread throughout the cycle! Good luck, guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
LMU is one of my top choices. Everything I have read about LMU has been great. For those that have visited, what is the feel of the town like? I thought I grew up in a small town, but its giant in comparison to Harrogate!

I think I read that the area's population is about 35,000 (much smaller than my home town of 750,000!). I was only there for a day and a half, but it definitely has that small town feel. Most people live in the towns surrounding Harrogate, but Harrogate and Middlesboro are the hubs of the area. I was told that the residents love the vet/dcom students and a lot of restaurants give discounts to students.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I'm a rising 3rd year (class of 2018); I also did 3 years of undergrad at LMU, so Harrogate has been home for almost 6 years now. Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck, and may the odds be EVER in your favor!

I just decided today that I think I'd like to apply here. It seems like a great program and has positive reviews. I'll also be applying to UTK, UGA (IS), Mizzou, and WSU. :D

Hello! I'm a rising 3rd year (class of 2018); I also did 3 years of undergrad at LMU, so Harrogate has been home for almost 6 years now. Let me know if you have any questions! Good luck, and may the odds be EVER in your favor!
What is housing like? Specifically how challenging is finding pet friendly housing? I have 2 cats and a 50# dog.

It seems like a very small town- would my husband have trouble finding a job with an M.S. in Ecology?

What is housing like? Specifically how challenging is finding pet friendly housing? I have 2 cats and a 50# dog.

I will be a second year this fall at LMU and I absolutely love it! There are a decent amount of places that are available for rent in the area, most of which are pet friendly, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a good place to stay!

sorry, missed these posts! It's not very challenging. dcomdo.com is the most common site for classifieds. Genell also posts listings that get emailed to her from landlords on the facebook group.

It seems like a very small town- would my husband have trouble finding a job with an M.S. in Ecology?
He may be able to get a job with the university, but most spouses end up traveling (to Morristown/Knoxville) for work depending on the type of job they have/want.

Apparently, LMU is introducing a pet-friendly housing pilot program for their graduate students, so you could live on campus too. The only reason I hate living on campus at my school now is that we can't have pets.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying, I'm also a Florida resident but my heart is set on LMU. For current students,when did you submit you app and when did you hear back?

I'm applying, I'm also a Florida resident but my heart is set on LMU. For current students,when did you submit you app and when did you hear back?
I submitted in early september and got an interview invite about 1.5months afterward. They do a 'rolling admissions' thing so the earlier you submit, the earlier they review your app.

I submitted in early september and got an interview invite about 1.5months afterward. They do a 'rolling admissions' thing so the earlier you submit, the earlier they review your app.

I am not so sure about that, when I applied some people who turned their application in later heard before I did.

I submitted by late June, so its been about a month. I would like to hear soon, I've already gotten interviews of St. Georges and Midwestern but I wants LMU!

I submitted by late June, so its been about a month. I would like to hear soon, I've already gotten interviews of St. Georges and Midwestern but I wants LMU!
Hello! LMU doesn't tend to do a rolling admissions, so you will probably have to wait at least until the deadline for the VMCAs first!
I will be a second year this fall (Well next Monday to be exact!) If you have any questions just send me a PM and I would be happy to help!

Also you can always give them a call and ask about your application status :)

I am actually going to LMU's open house this weekend and I was wondering what I should wear. I don't want to show up under dressed but I also do not want to look like I am trying too hard. Any suggestions?

I am actually going to LMU's open house this weekend and I was wondering what I should wear. I don't want to show up under dressed but I also do not want to look like I am trying too hard. Any suggestions?
Really wish I could make the open house, let us know how it goes!

For class we have to wear business casual, and this has turned into nice jeans or capris paired with a nicer top for girls. For guys they usually wear either jeans or khakis paired with a polo shirt or dress clothes.
Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions :)

For class we have to wear business casual, and this has turned into nice jeans or capris paired with a nicer top for girls. For guys they usually wear either jeans or khakis paired with a polo shirt or dress clothes.
Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any other questions :)
So would white capris and a nice blouse be okay for the open house or is that too casual?

So would white capris and a nice blouse be okay for the open house or is that too casual?
Nope that should be just fine:)
It's the interviews you really got to get all fancy for;)

Have you applied yet or are you just doing the rounds for potential schools?

Last edited:
Is the dress code for class on an every-day basis, or just for the day of open house?

Is the dress code for class on an every-day basis, or just for the day of open house?

Everyday. It's really pretty relaxed. I typically wear jeans, a polo, and danskos unless we have professional skills simulation lab and then I wear dressier pants and a nicer blouse with white coat.

Oh wow. I never thought there would be a dress code for going to class. Thank you for explaining that :).

Nope that should be just fine:)
It's the interviews you really got to get all fancy for;)

Have you applied yet or are you just doing the rounds for potential schools?

I'm in the processing of applying. I've got a few people looking over my personal statement before I submit it.

I'm in the processing of applying. I've got a few people looking over my personal statement before I submit it.
Awesome if you have any questions or need anything feel free to ask!!
Good Luck!:)

So for those of you that are already at LMU, do you think you are learning just as much as you would in a more "traditional" vet school like UT for example? I am just worried that with such a small school there may not be the same opportunities as one of the bigger schools. Do you guys know what I mean? I love the school, and it is my first choice, I just want to make sure I'm making the right one.

That is actually a rather difficult question since I haven't really been at another school, but I can tell you about LMU!

I am a 2nd year this fall, so I can relay to you how my first year was. Last year I took the following courses:
- Anatomy 1 & 2
- Physiology 1 & 2
- Parasitology
- Histology
- One Health 1& 2 (basically a class about a veterinarian's role in the real world)
- Immunology
- Infectious Disease
- Clinical skills/professional skills 1 & 2 (this class was where we practiced a number of skills such as sutures, hand ties, PEs and a lot of other things)

At this point in my education I can honestly say I know a lot more than I had anticipated knowing! I love that we have a clinical skills class that allows us to learn important skills and also gives us a chance to actually work with the animals, and they make sure we are good at the skills (we have a skills test at the end of each semester)! I could be wrong, but I have heard from some friends at other schools that they don't get to do some of these things until their later years. Learning wise I feel that we are definitely blessed with some good faculty who are teaching us exactly what we need to know! A lot of our faculty actually work as adjuncts at our school and come in from different vet schools. I know last year we had a decent amount of teachers from Ohio State, Virginia Tech and Florida State (we had an anatomy professor who had retired from UT also, he is mostly just around to help now!) And each year we get even more faculty from different areas!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

So for those of you that are already at LMU, do you think you are learning just as much as you would in a more "traditional" vet school like UT for example? I am just worried that with such a small school there may not be the same opportunities as one of the bigger schools. Do you guys know what I mean? I love the school, and it is my first choice, I just want to make sure I'm making the right one.

Awesome! I just submitted my application and I'm super excited to hear back (at some point). I love that you start learning hands-on skills early and I also love the small town feel of Harrogate. It's so beautiful. I come from a big city in Florida so I'm ready for a change.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome! I just submitted my application and I'm super excited to hear back (at some point). I love that you start learning hands-on skills early and I also love the small town feel of Harrogate. It's so beautiful. I come from a big city in Florida so I'm ready for a change.

I love that we are learning a lot of the hands-on skill, I already feel super comfortable with some of the numerous sutures and hand ties that you will be required to know as a vet. I also love harrogate! We have so many parks, and trails that I still haven't seen! The scenery is absolutely beautiful, and it is a really nice place to live!

Good luck with the application process and if you have any more questions, I am happy to help!

Hey everyone! I am a first year student here at LMU as well. So now you've got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year to help with any questions. From what I remember last year, they did not start sending information about interviews out until late August, early September. The interviews last year started towards mid-September. They interview everyone that meets the minimum requirements as another part of your 'whole package' so if you're lacking in another area such as the GRE or GPA you might be able to make up for it in the interviews.

If you are worried about material you might or might not learn here at a 'new' school, don't. The professors have been amazing so far, they even bring in professors from around the US to give lectures based on their expertise. For example we have Dr. William Muir teaching us cardiac physiology and he has worked for The Ohio State University CVM for many years and has won numerous awards for his research and teachings in the cardiac field.

For the woman asking about a job for her husband, there are numerous parks, trails, and federal land that an Ecologist might find a good job close by.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask any one of us currently here!

I know that there is no forth year students yet but does anyone know how clinicals are going to work? I understand and have seen the facilities that are contracted and approved by LMU for rotation but some of them are all over the country, is housing provided when doing these rotations or are students expected to find it? I love the set up and think working with individuals in the field with years of experience is super valuable and one of the reasons why this school is my top choice, just curious if anyone had anymore in site than what is stated on the website. Thanks!

I know that there is no forth year students yet but does anyone know how clinicals are going to work? I understand and have seen the facilities that are contracted and approved by LMU for rotation but some of them are all over the country, is housing provided when doing these rotations or are students expected to find it? I love the set up and think working with individuals in the field with years of experience is super valuable and one of the reasons why this school is my top choice, just curious if anyone had anymore in site than what is stated on the website. Thanks!

Some places provide housing. If they don't, students are responsible for finding housing. A lot of places know of short term rentals. We also have an agreement with Extended Stay America for discounts.

Will we get exposure to everything? I worked at an avian and exotics clinic and absolutely LOVED it. I think this particular branch of medicine is definitely for me. I'm hoping that the way clinical rotations are set up will give me a bit more wiggle room to focus on this area. But at the same time, I doubt any of the local clinical sites have many clients with reptiles and the more peculiar pets people keep here in Florida.

Will we get exposure to everything? I worked at an avian and exotics clinic and absolutely LOVED it. I think this particular branch of medicine is definitely for me. I'm hoping that the way clinical rotations are set up will give me a bit more wiggle room to focus on this area. But at the same time, I doubt any of the local clinical sites have many clients with reptiles and the more peculiar pets people keep here in Florida.

During the first 3 years, we will work with dogs, cats, horses, cows, and sheep (at least). There are a couple clubs that arrange different opportunities to handle exotics including birds and reptiles. At 4th year, there are elective rotations that you can take around the area as well as other states or out of country that will give you exotics experience. Some of them already have a contract with the school, like the Houston Zoo and an exotics clinic in New York. They do have an option where if there is a place you really want to go, you can help set them up as a contract clinic for the school.

We have 3 4-week elective blocks in 4th year that can be anything you want. Additionally, you can choose specialty and general practices that do more exotics than others.

Does anyone know how many applicants they interview?

Also, contrary to what was stated earlier in this thread, LMU does not interview everyone who meets their minimum requirements. LMU interviews the students they consider to be the best applicants.

Quick question pertaining to the VMCAS application question under program materials.... When it asks about growing up on a farm...My entire childhood was spent at the stables as I was a committed equestrian, does this apply towards growing up on a farm or must the farm actually be at your childhood home?

Quick question pertaining to the VMCAS application question under program materials.... When it asks about growing up on a farm...My entire childhood was spent at the stables as I was a committed equestrian, does this apply towards growing up on a farm or must the farm actually be at your childhood home?

This would be better answered in a direct email to admissions. We didn't have that question when I applied.

Growing up on a farm is your childhood home :)

Curious if anyone can provide any input on the development of LMU's Veterinary Medical Education Building?

Curious if anyone can provide any input on the development of LMU's Veterinary Medical Education Building?

The building on campus is rumored to be breaking ground shortly, but I haven't heard much else.

It looks like this time last year people were already receiving interview notifications (based on the c/o 2020 posts), has anyone heard anything?

I know nothing yet though. Did receive an email two weeks ago that my application was complete and in academic review

Just had my application verified today, so some more waiting is in store. :)