LMU-DCOM Class of 2011 continued

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slinkeyooo

sleeper
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I hope everybody has a good fourth of July and nobody blows any body parts off lol....

Members don't see this ad.

I initially called Dr. Cross to let him knwo I was interested and then he told me to email him my info. I would give him a call tomorrow to make sure he put you on his list. I will be leaving on the 17th for TN and will try to start in the lab on the 18th. My wife will be coming down around the 26th or so, that way she'll be there for the first day of orientation.

COngrats DocMom on becoming an advisor, although that should probably read "Official DCOM recruiter" :smuggrin:

I initially called Dr. Cross to let him knwo I was interested and then he told me to email him my info. I would give him a call tomorrow to make sure he put you on his list. I will be leaving on the 17th for TN and will try to start in the lab on the 18th. My wife will be coming down around the 26th or so, that way she'll be there for the first day of orientation.

COngrats DocMom on becoming an advisor, although that should probably read "Official DCOM recruiter" :smuggrin:

Alright, thanks for the heads up. I'll call him tomorrow and see. I probably won't be able to hit town till end of July due to work, so we'll see. It's weird he wouldn't reply to emails, but rather phone calls.

Let me know how it all works out when you get down there. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So right after I posted about the shirts/shorts my internet crashed for three days but man oh man was I happy to hear that basically no one else ordered anything. :lol: I don't feel so bad anymore. Also, moving down in ten days. Can anyone give me the name of some good moving companies? I can't get anyone to come with me so I'm doing this by myself and google is really failing me here. :-/

EvilEye got banned already. :laugh: I hope he isn't such a trouble maker in real life, we have to live with him for 4 years ;)

Edit: Just as a side note, EvilEye did not get banned for any specific post, just for being his former self

hello guys , this is my first post. I am going to be at DCOM too this year. Will be leaving in the dorm and I am excited about this new adventure.
Just reading thorugh and wondered narscadac what did Dr. Leo tell you that made you soo convinced about choosing DCOM? I am just curious.

I would highly recommend ABF.

www.upack.com

That has been the EASIEST part of this whole moving thing thus far...they were/have been great.

Yea, I checked them out but apparently they don't have service to Middlesboro. Personally I think that's pretty freaking ridiculous. Neither does PODS, Door to Door, Smart Box USA or Box Trotters. Honestly this is driving me CRAZY.

Why does Uhaul and everything like that have to be so expensive?? Actually it wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't really paranoid about driving a 16' truck while towing my car. Oh, and also if I wasn't so damned poor. That would make a difference....

Yea, I checked them out but apparently they don't have service to Middlesboro. Personally I think that's pretty freaking ridiculous. Neither does PODS, Door to Door, Smart Box USA or Box Trotters. Honestly this is driving me CRAZY.

Why does Uhaul and everything like that have to be so expensive?? Actually it wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't really paranoid about driving a 16' truck while towing my car. Oh, and also if I wasn't so damned poor. That would make a difference....

Let me do some checking...

There were some other places I had recommended to me. Luckily, ABF worked for us.

By the way, I know i've mentioned it before, but we close next Thursday at 10 (supposedly) and we'll be unloading on Friday. So far, it's my dad and me and my wife. If anyone else wanted to help, I'd be happy to buy some pizza or something to grill and some beverages to compensate. We plan to just move all the boxes into the garage and spend two weeks moving them in ourselves. PM me if you might be able to help.

Thanks. Can't wait to meet you all.

Spending the last week at the lake cabin has made the Lake of the Ozarks very hard to leave behind...but not so much St. Joe.

:D

hello guys , this is my first post. I am going to be at DCOM too this year. Will be leaving in the dorm and I am excited about this new adventure.
Just reading thorugh and wondered narscadac what did Dr. Leo tell you that made you soo convinced about choosing DCOM? I am just curious.

Well, it was more of a combination of things. I have always felt DCOM was the best fit for me. I have always liked the curriculum, profs, area, plans, etc. so Dr. Leo didn't have to give me a big sales pitch. The biggest thing Dr. Leo did was just reassure that DCOM will give the opportunities I am looking for. I am planning on doing my residency in Chicago (but who knows after 4 years in TN) and I wanted to make sure I would still have a good chance at landing that spot. He basically told me to go where I felt I would get the best training, best fit for myself, and not necesarily an "in" for a residency b/c you can always go to a hospital or doctor with an elective. Even though I knew this, it was just comforting hearing it from him and that was all I needed to cement my decision. He was the straw that broke the camels back, but in a good way :laugh:

Thanks narsdac, I just wanted to know if there was something special he said that made you change your mind. I am glad you are in our class. :)

Thank you! :)I still think I should get a tuition discount for all my DCOM recruiting. LOL! ;) :laugh:

Moving company: Self Moves USA. The were the cheapest place I found by far. You load, they drive. Same concept as ABF, but cheaper. http://www.selfmovesusa.com/

Hi everyone, or I suppose I should say ya'll since I'm moving back to the south. I was accepted less than a month ago and I'm happy to join the network. It's exciting to say...see you soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
I, like many of you, forgot to order my OMM shorts and T-shirts. I went to the bookstore yesterday and they said that several of us forgot to order by the deadline. Long story short: it is fine. You can still order by email or voicemail. They can charge it to your financial aid or credit card. Here is the information you need if you want to order now. You can also just go by the bookstore and buy them if you are in town.
You can still order via voicemail or call 1-800-325-0900 ext 6306, e-mail [email protected].

Also, I did a walk through of the apartments and the medical school building. The apartments are coming along nicely and should be finished soon. They are bright, although not very spacious. The medical school building on the other hand still needs A LOT of work and it will be a miracle if it is finished by August. But, the two major classrooms and the anatomy lab are pretty much complete and looks great. They were doing tile work yesterday and said that they brought in a third crew and are working double shifts in order to get it finished. It is hard to imagine the size of the building until you walk in. It is truely massive.

The bookstore staff also said that they ordered our diagnostic kits. They will include the diagnostic kit, blood pressure cuffs, and a stethoscope. The price will be somwhere around $600.00 I think he said. I know that many of us have worked in the medical field previoulsy and have stethoscopes and blood pressure cuffs. This being said, they are trying to work it out so we can just buy the panoptic diagnostic kits without the other stuff for a lesser price.

For now this is all I have found out. One more thing. If you have family coming for white coat weekend and need rooms you may want to go ahead and reserve them now if you already have not. They are few and far between already.

Congrats to all the new additions to our class. :thumbup:

Heath Thompson for ASB President
DCOM class 2011

I, like many of you, forgot to order my OMM shorts and T-shirts. I went to the bookstore yesterday and they said that several of us forgot to order by the deadline. Long story short: it is fine. You can still order by email or voicemail. They can charge it to your financial aid or credit card. Here is the information you need if you want to order now. You can also just go by the bookstore and buy them if you are in town.
You can still order via voicemail or call 1-800-325-0900 ext 6306, e-mail [email protected].

Also, I did a walk through of the apartments and the medical school building. The apartments are coming along nicely and should be finished soon. They are bright, although not very spacious. The medical school building on the other hand still needs A LOT of work and it will be a miracle if it is finished by August. But, the two major classrooms and the anatomy lab are pretty much complete and looks great. They were doing tile work yesterday and said that they brought in a third crew and are working double shifts in order to get it finished. It is hard to imagine the size of the building until you walk in. It is truely massive.

The bookstore staff also said that they ordered our diagnostic kits. They will include the diagnostic kit, blood pressure cuffs, and a stethoscope. The price will be somwhere around $600.00 I think he said. I know that many of us have worked in the medical field previoulsy and have stethoscopes and blood pressure cuffs. This being said, they are trying to work it out so we can just buy the panoptic diagnostic kits without the other stuff for a lesser price.

For now this is all I have found out. One more thing. If you have family coming for white coat weekend and need rooms you may want to go ahead and reserve them now if you already have not. They are few and far between already.

DCOM class 2011

Tons of good info here. Thanks. I hope we can just get the diagnostic set. Like you I have everything else for a while and see no need to buy a new one.

DCOM class 2011

Thanks for the update. I'm sure glad I didn't order my stethescope...wait, what kind of stethescope? Did they say?

Thanks for the information! I think they'll get the school done in time, but that's the optimistic me talking! :)

Only 2 full days in the midwest left, and it's becoming apparent that leaving "home" for us is proving harder than I thought. I think that's due in part to our miserable experience thus far in looking for a home and closing on said home.

Here's to this week, and the closing, going better.

Can't wait to meet you all.:)

Thanks for the info firemedictodo. When I talked with Dr. Leo last week, he mentioned that they were installing the seating/tables this week (that just ended yesterday) and that the anatomy and OMM labs should be done soon too. Obviously if the cadavers are goning to start being worked on, the lab is almost, if not, finished. He did mention that the 3rd and 4th floors will not be finished, but we don't use them so who cares :laugh: He and I were laughing b/c even though the floors look like they need a lot of work, they really don't. The ceilings are finished for the most part. They are drop ceilings and the rails are finished, they just need to put the tiles in, which will take one day - simple. Also, any carpeting or tile work is easy to do also, so no worries there. As long as the electrical, plumbing, drywall, painting, and any other inwall, in ceiling stuff are finished, then the rest is a cake walk and only takes a few days at most.

Also, the final booklist is up so we can finalize any books orders, etc.

As Nascardoc said, the final booklist is up, but I am one who decided it would be a good idea to order them as they came up. Well, the USMLE Road Map to Gross Anatomy changed from 1st edition to 2nd edition. Anyone think that the second edition is important to get?

As Nascardoc said, the final booklist is up, but I am one who decided it would be a good idea to order them as they came up. Well, the USMLE Road Map to Gross Anatomy changed from 1st edition to 2nd edition. Anyone think that the second edition is important to get?

I'm not getting it unless I see a real difference between the two. I am just going to look through one at the bookstore and see if there are any major changes.

Has anyone received the e-mail we were supposed to be looking for from Dr. Cross this weekend?

Even if they finish the building on time, I am concerned about everything being set up when we get there. The electronics are going to take a while to install. I wonder if the wireless internet and everything is going to be up to snuff when we get there and gets our new lappies goin.

On a separate note, I'm going to be moving into my house in a couple weeks and I was wondering if anyone knew what I needed to do in order to set up gas, water, power, internet, tv, etc.? who is everyone that is not living in the dorms using?

Hey everyone. My friend Heather has a house for rent for around 750.00 a month or something like that. It's a
3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage, house in Lincoln Memorial Estates.

It's a nice house, in Harrogate, close to campus.

If you have any questions you can either ask me or call Heather at
(865) 773-6570.

Even if they finish the building on time, I am concerned about everything being set up when we get there. The electronics are going to take a while to install. I wonder if the wireless internet and everything is going to be up to snuff when we get there and gets our new lappies goin.

On a separate note, I'm going to be moving into my house in a couple weeks and I was wondering if anyone knew what I needed to do in order to set up gas, water, power, internet, tv, etc.? who is everyone that is not living in the dorms using?

i think it would be safe to say they would be on top of this as well, especially since it was one of their biggest selling points to potential students. Are there going to be issues - yes, especially with wireless, it likes to throw temper tantrums every now and then. I have seen it first-hand at one of my seasonal jobs where the wireless is just flying one minute and the next it is completely crashed. But not only do us students need it, the profs will as well, so there shouldn't be any problems in making sure we have internet access by the time school starts.

As for the utilities, there is some info on one of the last pages of the old thread.

Howdy everyone. Today is the start of my last week in Texas for the next four years! I hoep everyone is excited to move up there as I am. :D

I hope the construction is done on the school by August, or they will hopefully plan their major renovations after classes, and not during.

Docmom, is the BBQ still going down? I thought it would be on the 21st or 22nd?

Oh, and bachelor's parties are fun :laugh:

Thanks for the update. I'm sure glad I didn't order my stethescope...wait, what kind of stethescope? Did they say?

My guess would be Welch Allen, since the diagnostics kits are from them. They make good stethoscopes and BP cuffs as well.

I'm not getting it unless I see a real difference between the two. I am just going to look through one at the bookstore and see if there are any major changes.

Has anyone received the e-mail we were supposed to be looking for from Dr. Cross this weekend?[/quote]
I received the e-mail. Please send me everyone's e-mail address that is interested and I will forward it to you! I hope everyone is enjoying their last weeks of summer!

Has anyone received the e-mail we were supposed to be looking for from Dr. Cross this weekend?[/quote]
I received the e-mail. Please send me everyone's e-mail address that is interested and I will forward it to you! I hope everyone is enjoying their last weeks of summer!

I am sure he is sending out to only those that have been chosen for the times he wants. So I am sure he would not want a bunch of people showing up that he did not notify.

The e-mail has an attached sign up sheet to pick the days and times that you would like to work.

I received the e-mail with the time sign-up, but I have not received one with the schedule he decided on. Did you receive an e-mail with a schedule?

I received the e-mail with the time sign-up, but I have not received one with the schedule he decided on. Did you receive an e-mail with a schedule?

That is the same email I recieved. I just it in today though? I know the first cadavers will arrive tomorrow, so I think he will respond soon.

FREE BASSETT HOUND!!!!

Does anyone want a free, purebred Bassett Hound? He is about 8 months old, up to date on all shots, loving, at least crate trained if not house broken, and a good dog. BUT....he seriously mauled one of the roosters...for the third time! He is a hunting dog and that is his instinct, so I don't blame him. I blame my idiot husband who let him out to spite me, but that is another story. Anyway, my neighbors have chickens too and if he gets in there, they WILL shoot him. So, it is either tie him to a tree for the rest of his life or find him a home. I love the dog and want him to go to a wonderful home. If anyone is interested, let me know. He is great with kids and very cute! Thanks!

BBQ: Probably not happening. I still haven't finished painting and getting the house together, so I doubt I will have that done anytime soon. I may try to do it at the end of August or in September....maybe for Labor Day Weekend. I will keep you all posted. I would love to have one!:)

Hey everyone. My friend Heather has a house for rent for around 750.00 a month or something like that. It's a

(865) 773-6570.

PM Shasta, she was looking for one.

Does anyone know what the proper way is to get an enrollment form for the dental insurance? Do I just call Sheila? This is my very last thing to do.

Does anyone know what the proper way is to get an enrollment form for the dental insurance? Do I just call Sheila? This is my very last thing to do.

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/benefit_overview.pdf

At the bottom of the PDF, it says the enrollment forms will be collected on August 1st during orientation. I am going to email Sheila about when coverage actually starts, since my work insurance stops on July 31st, and I don't want a gap in there.

yes, could you forward it to [email protected]

I thought you all might like some of the websites I have used in some of my previous classes.

These are from Loyola, University of Kansas, and Oklahoma University (I believe). They are excellent websites. OU's has all quizzes and self tests, the others are atlas type sites, LU has quizzes too.

Loyola's website

Kansas, a/k/a JayDoc

OU Quizzes and Self-tests

Also, these are some anatomy websites I have found. They are good as well, the one from University of Michigan shows actual dissections.

Interactive Dissector and Quizzes

There are a variety of different sites linked to this one. The cross-section atlas is very good and a great way to study as the arrows are numbered, so you can use them to study without having to cover up answers. An answer key is underneth each picture. Also, there is a link about anatomical variation and it takes a couple of times searching to get used to how the site works

UMich, great website. Has tons of images and the dissection videos. Definitely take a look at this one

A site with lnks to various other anatomy sites.

I thought you all might like some of the websites I have used in some of my previous classes.

These are from Loyola, University of Kansas, and Oklahoma University (I believe). They are excellent websites. OU's has all quizzes and self tests, the others are atlas type sites, LU has quizzes too.

Loyola's website

Kansas, a/k/a JayDoc

OU Quizzes and Self-tests

Also, these are some anatomy websites I have found. They are good as well, the one from University of Michigan shows actual dissections.

Interactive Dissector and Quizzes

There are a variety of different sites linked to this one. The cross-section atlas is very good and a great way to study as the arrows are numbered, so you can use them to study without having to cover up answers. An answer key is underneth each picture. Also, there is a link about anatomical variation and it takes a couple of times searching to get used to how the site works

UMich, great website. Has tons of images and the dissection videos. Definitely take a look at this one

A site with lnks to various other anatomy sites.

Thanks for the info!

For those choosing DCOM insurance, we are meeting around 2:15 PM on Wednesday the 1st, and our insurance will kick in on the 1st.

Hi Everyone!
Ohmygosh I just got pulled from the waitlist! I live in Washington and have nothing (obviously) ready and no place to live!! But I'm so excited and can't wait to me you all!

Hi Everyone!
Ohmygosh I just got pulled from the waitlist! I live in Washington and have nothing (obviously) ready and no place to live!! But I'm so excited and can't wait to me you all!

congrats buddy, you still have plenty of time to reserve a med school apt and do all the paper work..good luck!

Hi Everyone!

Congrats!

Hi Everyone!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :clap::hello::welcome:

Cheeseburger is dead.:( I knew he was going to die this morning when I checked on him. I made an appointment with my vet to have him put down, but he died before then. MY POOR ROOSTER!!!!! :(

Cheeseburger is dead.:( I knew he was going to die this morning when I checked on him. I made an appointment with my vet to have him put down, but he died before then. MY POOR ROOSTER!!!!! :(

I'm so sorry...:(

A certain someone is annoying me to death about posting this. He would, but he is banned.:rolleyes::smuggrin::laugh: So.....

He would like to know about updates from Dr. Cross regarding the dissection team. If anyone heard back from Dr. Cross yet since cadavers come in tomorrow (likely), if not earlier today.

A certain someone is annoying me to death about posting this. He would, but he is banned.:rolleyes::smuggrin::laugh: So.....

He would like to know about updates from Dr. Cross regarding the dissection team. If anyone heard back from Dr. Cross yet since cadavers come in tomorrow (likely), if not earlier today.

I PMed you the info.

(865) 773-6570.

Thanks so much for thinking of me. I'll call tomorrow. I was out of town visiting relatives before the "big move" so I just got the info today.

Welcome to all the new additions and I look forward to meeting you all in a week or so. I'm hoping to get in town by the 19th.

Dr. Mom I was sorry to hear about cheeseburger.:(

For those of you who have ordered books, I have a question for you regarding Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics. THe book list says they want us to get the 13th edition, but the isbn is for the 12th edition. Also, the 13th edition is only a pre-order right now on amazon since it has not been released and amazon did not know when it was supposed to become available. I left a message for Dr. Leo yesterday, so hopefully he'll call back today, but I just wanted to know what you guys did.

DocMom, sorry about cheeseburger.