LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new discussion goes here!

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody starting on the supplemental yet???

Anybody starting on the supplemental yet???
i should be starting it soon. Has it been posted on their website yet?
ill have to check. they don't take it prior to july first i believe. So Ill be putting it in the mail june 30th lol
I interviewed here last year and am currently waitlisted but I just resubmitted my primary TODAY. :D its my first choice again so HERE WE GO!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still pulling for you to get an acceptance off the waitlist last minute, Dr. Yiot. I've been following your progress this past cycle - good luck!! If not, I can't imagine them not letting you in this cycle. Either way, I'm sure you'll be starting medical school very soon :)

i should be starting it soon. Has it been posted on their website yet?
ill have to check. they don't take it prior to july first i believe. So Ill be putting it in the mail june 30th lol
I interviewed here last year and am currently waitlisted but I just resubmitted my primary TODAY. :D its my first choice again so HERE WE GO!

Yeah it's up! http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/supplemental_application.pdf I'm just wondering what my LMU ID is, I guess they just fill that one out for you??? In any case good luck! This is my first time applying so if you don't get in off of the waitlist, maybe we'll be in the same class! I just visited the other day and the school is NICE, not to mention they're building another, much larger school right across the road that will allow them to increase class size substantially. Good luck!! :)

I'm still pulling for you to get an acceptance off the waitlist last minute, Dr. Yiot. I've been following your progress this past cycle - good luck!! If not, I can't imagine them not letting you in this cycle. Either way, I'm sure you'll be starting medical school very soon :)
thanks so much for saying that. Its nice to have so much support from fellow sdn'ers. I really hope your right!

Yeah it's up! http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/supplemental_application.pdf I'm just wondering what my LMU ID is, I guess they just fill that one out for you??? In any case good luck! This is my first time applying so if you don't get in off of the waitlist, maybe we'll be in the same class! I just visited the other day and the school is NICE, not to mention they're building another, much larger school right across the road that will allow them to increase class size substantially. Good luck!! :)
your lmy ID is sent to you in an email, I believe its the confirmation they recieved your primary, or the "invitation" to fill out your secondary. either way you'll have it in time to submit *i believe* at least I did no problem. I never knew they were trying to increase class size? do you have a source that they are building another building? lol

also do you live in TN? I wish I could visit more often, actually I wish I lived in a town like harrogate or even tazewell. lol NJ gets old IMO. good luck this app season! it would be cool to be in the same class!

thanks so much for saying that. Its nice to have so much support from fellow sdn'ers. I really hope your right!

your lmy ID is sent to you in an email, I believe its the confirmation they recieved your primary, or the "invitation" to fill out your secondary. either way you'll have it in time to submit *i believe* at least I did no problem. I never knew they were trying to increase class size? do you have a source that they are building another building? lol

also do you live in TN? I wish I could visit more often, actually I wish I lived in a town like harrogate or even tazewell. lol NJ gets old IMO. good luck this app season! it would be cool to be in the same class!

Yeah, one of my good friends from undergrad just finished up his first year and he said they're going to "try" and have the new building built before next years class comes in and that once it is completed, they'll be able to add like a couple hundred seats or something ridiculous like that. The current building is new as well, it's just shared by the PA students as well and the students I talked to said it'll be nice to have a larger cadaver lab thank they have now (only 12-14 bodies). Also, when I visited last week, the frame of the new building is already up so construction is well underway!! And yeah, Harrogate is a nice little quaint town and Middlesboro, KY is nice as well. And nope, not a TN boy, I'm from KY. There's actually a New Jersey girl in my apt. complex right down the hall who's from Hoboken, she's awesome, except for the fact that she's a diehard Giants fan and I'm a diehard Eagles fan haha. Thanks for the info!

I just recently got accepted to the medical science program! What are some comments (good or bad) about the progam? Does the DCOM school favor the post bacc program? Is it better to stay on campus? Has anyone participated in the program and if so how was it? Any imput would help! Thanks in advance!!

LMU DCOM is among my top choices. I was at the DCOM for a tour; LMU is a nice campus and the technology at DCOM is state of the art. Good luck to all applicants.

LMU is constructing a $40 million new science building. Dr. Stowers said DCOM got in on it because these opportunities only come along every so often. DCOM wants to expand, and it's better to expand where it is than to try to construct a branch campus somewhere else.

The DCOM building is 105,000 square feet and will still be DCOM. It houses the Caylor School of Nursing on the 3rd floor, which is not part of DCOM. The PA program, on the 4th floor, is a part of the college of medicine.

The new building will be 140,000 square feet. When it's complete, they will hold basic science classes over there, probably have labs, the nursing school will move over (giving us more space here; we never see the nursing students anyway, as it is), and DCOM will pick up the 4th floor of that building. There will be a larger anatomy lab, and a larger lecture hall (COCA requires you to have enough seats for everyone before you can expand class size, even if half the people end up watching mediasite at home by the end of first year). OPP will still be at the DCOM building, but they'll probably have some treatment tables or a small lab over there, and there will have to be two offices for the Anatomy/OPP Fellows.

The frame is up, and some work on the walls. But they would have to complete it in a month, and do all the work of equiping it before it could be used. So probably the class of 2016 will be over there. I don't know what they're going to try to increase the class size to, but it won't happen all at once. They are preparing for it, though. The number of fellows taken out of my class increased (it was going to be 6 per year, but now it's 9-10). They have a post-bac program, and most of those students were accepted. They took gross anatomy at DCOM alongside 2014, which shows the current anatomy lab can handle more students (they did remove some tables to fit the extra cadavera) and gives them a boost to 2015 while maintaining current numbers in that anatomy lab (i.e., incoming straight 2015 students plus 2012 post-bacs). The existing lecture halls on the first floor always could handle more students (probably 40), but that let them have space between students during exams.

LMU is constructing a $40 million new science building. Dr. Stowers said DCOM got in on it because these opportunities only come along every so often. DCOM wants to expand, and it's better to expand where it is than to try to construct a branch campus somewhere else.

The DCOM building is 105,000 square feet and will still be DCOM. It houses the Caylor School of Nursing on the 3rd floor, which is not part of DCOM. The PA program, on the 4th floor, is a part of the college of medicine.

The new building will be 140,000 square feet. When it's complete, they will hold basic science classes over there, probably have labs, the nursing school will move over (giving us more space here; we never see the nursing students anyway, as it is), and DCOM will pick up the 4th floor of that building. There will be a larger anatomy lab, and a larger lecture hall (COCA requires you to have enough seats for everyone before you can expand class size, even if half the people end up watching mediasite at home by the end of first year). OPP will still be at the DCOM building, but they'll probably have some treatment tables or a small lab over there, and there will have to be two offices for the Anatomy/OPP Fellows.

The frame is up, and some work on the walls. But they would have to complete it in a month, and do all the work of equiping it before it could be used. So probably the class of 2016 will be over there. I don't know what they're going to try to increase the class size to, but it won't happen all at once. They are preparing for it, though. The number of fellows taken out of my class increased (it was going to be 6 per year, but now it's 9-10). They have a post-bac program, and most of those students were accepted. They took gross anatomy at DCOM alongside 2014, which shows the current anatomy lab can handle more students (they did remove some tables to fit the extra cadavera) and gives them a boost to 2015 while maintaining current numbers in that anatomy lab (i.e., incoming straight 2015 students plus 2012 post-bacs). The existing lecture halls on the first floor always could handle more students (probably 40), but that let them have space between students during exams.

What are your opinions on how the "friendly" atmosphere may change by increasing the class size upwards of 200? Can the laid back approachability and education style of DCOM professors maintain with those kind of numbers?

What are your opinions on how the "friendly" atmosphere may change by increasing the class size upwards of 200? Can the laid back approachability and education style of DCOM professors maintain with those kind of numbers?
thats a good question,meeting the professors and those who created the curriculumn, they seem amazing and REALLY care about the students and making sure they learn as much as possible.

hopefully styria can answer better cause hes an actual current student. just wanted to through that out there.

I just recently got accepted to the medical science program! What are some comments (good or bad) about the progam? Does the DCOM school favor the post bacc program? Is it better to stay on campus? Has anyone participated in the program and if so how was it? Any imput would help! Thanks in advance!!
I wasn't in the program, but I think most of the students really enjoyed it for the most part. There have been some kinks and they have been working on those accordingly. The majority of students I knew of got accepted for 2015. That being said, I'm sure some didn't. The best part about the program in my opinion is knowing that if you get in, you don't have to take anatomy during your first year!!! Talk about a stress reliever and a chance to focus on MFM (your basic sciences course in the fall).

I don't see this negatively affecting the school too much. With alterations in the schedule and bringing on more faculty, I think we'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think they need more faculty before increasing class size, but increasing the size lets them pay for more. Though 40 more students is ~$1.36 million more. That's 3-4 faculty? They don't say what they're paid, but people took pay cuts to come teach at this school. They are hiring more already. You have to give graduating classes more time before they become a resource for donations and endowments.

Each class has its own overall character, and their attitude can play into how the faculty receives them.

You can approach faculty any time you want. Advisors and others might give you their home or cell phone numbers, etc. Don't forget that they want to see you succeed, even if there are more students they have to work with.

i believe there's been some active recruiting going on, including for a third OPP faculty position. if i remember correctly, the class size is being bumped to 200 first, then 240 (someone pls correct me if i'm wrong). there were 8 fellows selected from 2011 and 2012, and 10 selected from 2013. with the fellowship program starting to rotate in more 3rd-5th years (fellows are staggered with regard to their scheduling) there should be about 7 to 9 per semester to help with the bump. to give some perspective, we had 8 clinical faculty and 4 to 5 fellows per semester for two classes of ~150-160 during my two years on campus. all of this means that as far as education goes, there is a big attempt being made to consider student:instructor ratio. and as long as the vetting process continues as well as it has so far, i can't imagine the overall character of the student body will change drastically just because there are more students. 160 or 240, your experience is going to be what you make of it, and you're not going to have the time to be bff with all your classmates anyways.

Last edited:
i believe there's been some active recruiting going on, including for a third OPP faculty position. if i remember correctly, the class size is being bumped to 200 first, then 240 (someone pls correct me if i'm wrong). there were 8 fellows selected from 2011 and 2012, and 10 selected from 2013. with the fellowship program starting to rotate in more 3rd-5th years (fellows are staggered with regard to their scheduling) there should be about 7 to 9 per semester to help with the bump. to give some perspective, we had 8 clinical faculty and 4 to 5 fellows per semester for two classes of ~150-160 during my two years on campus. all of this means that as far as education goes, there is a big attempt being made to consider student:instructor ratio. and as long as the vetting process continues as well as it has so far, i can't imagine the overall character of the student body will change drastically just because there are more students. 160 or 240, your experience is going to be what you make of it, and you're not going to have the time to be bff with all your classmates anyways.

Lots of excellent input from Styria, jcrew, and Grace, thanks guys and gals! I was just curious what the feelings were about it. I've been the smallest bit nervous since talks of an increased class size have been abound. That's a big jump!

Lots of excellent input from Styria, jcrew, and Grace, thanks guys and gals! I was just curious what the feelings were about it. I've been the smallest bit nervous since talks of an increased class size have been abound. That's a big jump!

just to clarify, i don't have any idea *when* those class size increases will occur. until a couple of months ago, i thought that the initial bump was happening with 2015; as styria points out, the lack of facilities makes that unlikely. so as far as i know, it's still a plan that's being ironed out. also, i personally would have loved having more classmates - i come from a mid-size undergrad campus, so 160 was an adjustment for me. the faculty all serve as advisors so they won't leave you hanging.

just to clarify, i don't have any idea *when* those class size increases will occur. until a couple of months ago, i thought that the initial bump was happening with 2015; as styria points out, the lack of facilities makes that unlikely. so as far as i know, it's still a plan that's being ironed out. also, i personally would have loved having more classmates - i come from a mid-size undergrad campus, so 160 was an adjustment for me. the faculty all serve as advisors so they won't leave you hanging.

Makes perfect sense. Being local, it definitely makes me excited that the numbers will increase and the potential for more osteopaths who stay in the area will increase. Our area needs this more than ever.

Mailing my app friday. Sending my letters through interfolio. Wish me luck! I hope my stats are good enough.

Mailing my app friday. Sending my letters through interfolio. Wish me luck! I hope my stats are good enough.

Mailing mine at two o'clock today also. Should be a good day! Good luck man

How strict are they about the "two science professor" letter requirement?

I have 1 LOR from molecular biology and 1 LOR from abnormal psychology. By the definition of the word science they should both count. But some schools say they only want bio/chem/physics letters.

If it helps I also have LORs from an advisor, a DO, an MD, and a neuropsychologist.

Last edited:

I have 1 LOR from molecular biology and 1 LOR from abnormal psychology. By the definition of the word science they should both count. But some schools say they only want bio/chem/physics letters.

If it helps I also have LORs from an advisor, a DO, an MD, and a neuropsychologist.

when in doubt, e-mail the admissions office, don't rely on the SDN forum for direct questions like yours. that way the correspondence will go into your file and you'll get an official answer. i am pretty sure i verified every piece of my file with Janette and Amy, and they were quick to help me complete it correctly. just my 2 cents.

I don't think they would take an abnormal psych as a "hard science" lor. If you had a physiological or biopsych lor, then you'd probably have a better shot (but it would be based off of what the school allows, so call). I feel you though, I had two psych lors and one was a dual eeb/psych and I don't think anyone would consider it since I took it through psych.
I would seriously call and see what DCOM will allow or try to sweet talk a science prof into writing one. Good luck and I hope to see you next year!

For this secondary how long did you all make the short essays? Just trying to get an idea on how long these should be. Thanks.

For this secondary how long did you all make the short essays? Just trying to get an idea on how long these should be. Thanks.

When I applied last year, my essays were both about 3/4 page if I remember correctly, and that led to an acceptance.

Technically I don't think abnormal psych will cut it, but it never hurts to ask. Were you a psych major? If so, maybe include that when you ask so they might throw you a bone. Also, if you go to a smaller school, oftentimes the same profs end up teaching multiple classes, which limits the number if different people you have teaching you for your pre-reqs. Another possible thing to mention. Janette's pretty good about working with people, but just in case, I'd start trying to come up with a plan B, mainly because almost every school I've ever read up on requires 2 letters specifically from science faculty that taught you.

I think mine were each about a half page to 3/4 page single spaced. I'd throw them into 1.5 to double spacing just for the sake of them being easier to read. But when it's all said and done, as long as all of it's necessary to the point of what you're saying, and you don't make it only 1 paragraph or an unnecessary 3 pages long, you'll be fine :)

By the way vandy, are you in fact, applying from vandy undergrad? I <3 Nashville if so :) I did my first year of undergrad at Belmont before transferring out...I've regretted transferring ever since!

By the way vandy, are you in fact, applying from vandy undergrad? I <3 Nashville if so :) I did my first year of undergrad at Belmont before transferring out...I've regretted transferring ever since!

Haha, yeah I am doing my undergrad at Vandy - I love this school and love it here. Belmont is awesome too....I've got some friends over there. I'm really going to miss it next year. My fiance is really over Nashville though and hoping I get into a FL school, but we'll see what happens. I will say I hope Harrogate is getting some reprieve from this heat. It is crazy hott here, especially this past week - I'm suffocating! lol!

Thanks for the reply about secondary length BTW!

They need to focus more energy on their 3rd/4th year faculty and boosting their current clinical rotation sites before they boost class size.

Technically I don't think abnormal psych will cut it, but it never hurts to ask. Were you a psych major? If so, maybe include that when you ask so they might throw you a bone. Also, if you go to a smaller school, oftentimes the same profs end up teaching multiple classes, which limits the number if different people you have teaching you for your pre-reqs. Another possible thing to mention. Janette's pretty good about working with people, but just in case, I'd start trying to come up with a plan B, mainly because almost every school I've ever read up on requires 2 letters specifically from science faculty that taught you.

I called them and they said abnormal psych was okay.

I was a psych major. The few teachers I had for hard science classes aren't teaching anymore. So I was in a bind.

They need to focus more energy on their 3rd/4th year faculty and boosting their current clinical rotation sites before they boost class size.

are you a current 4th yr? just wondering since your comment makes me even more nervous about rotation scheduling - it's been a little hairy, since i've been experiencing a drop in communication since leaving campus. any specific experience cause you to make this comment?

Any idea of when LMU begins offering interviews?

Any idea of when LMU begins offering interviews?
spoke with amy in admissions. look for interviews to start going out either the second or third week in august. they usually like to give you I believe close to a month in advance, so I think interviews will start either beginning of october or mid to late september.

im 100% sure on when they go out, just not when they start.

i guess you decided to apply here ha man? awsome. hopefully we both get some love from lmu. GL bud!:)

spoke with amy in admissions. look for interviews to start going out either the second or third week in august. they usually like to give you I believe close to a month in advance, so I think interviews will start either beginning of october or mid to late september.

i guess you decided to apply here ha man? awsome. hopefully we both get some love from lmu. GL bud!:)

Thanks! I have my fingers crossed. :xf: good luck to you as well! :luck:

Haha, yeah I am doing my undergrad at Vandy - I love this school and love it here. Belmont is awesome too....I've got some friends over there. I'm really going to miss it next year. My fiance is really over Nashville though and hoping I get into a FL school, but we'll see what happens. I will say I hope Harrogate is getting some reprieve from this heat. It is crazy hott here, especially this past week - I'm suffocating! lol!

Thanks for the reply about secondary length BTW!
Ugh, the heat is awful. No relief for your boyfriend in that regard. However, something about having slightly more beautiful surroundings might make it more bearable to him :)

I called them and they said abnormal psych was okay.

I was a psych major. The few teachers I had for hard science classes aren't teaching anymore. So I was in a bind.
I'm glad that worked out for you and that all of us on here were wrong! Good luck!

The first scheduled interviews usually end up being sometime in September...gives them time to get all the first years adjusted and review all the applications that come in right at the beginning of the cycle is my guess. Pretty standard start time for interviews. They usually start filling up pretty quickly...all the apps that get in right when the cycle opens seem to fill up interview days up through almost November from what I've noticed. There are always exceptions of course, but in years past, it seems like people who were complete pretty early in the game got late Nov and even Dec interviews. Applying early truly does pay off!

are you a current 4th yr? just wondering since your comment makes me even more nervous about rotation scheduling - it's been a little hairy, since i've been experiencing a drop in communication since leaving campus. any specific experience cause you to make this comment?
I would also like to hear about this. Scheduling one's own electives has pros and cons for sure...it's nice to be able to travel all over and rotate where you might want to do residency. I really haven't heard complaints from 3rd and 4th years so far, so I assumed it wasn't a huge issue. I also figured with it being a new school, it wouldn't only continue to improve as the school makes more connections with docs and increases the size of the list of approved selectives docs. Thoughts?

I would also like to hear about this. Scheduling one's own electives has pros and cons for sure...it's nice to be able to travel all over and rotate where you might want to do residency. I really haven't heard complaints from 3rd and 4th years so far, so I assumed it wasn't a huge issue. I also figured with it being a new school, it wouldn't only continue to improve as the school makes more connections with docs and increases the size of the list of approved selectives docs. Thoughts?

Can someone educate me a little on LMU's clinical rotations? I thought I read that they were all in TN. If we set up our own clinicals, could we theoretically rotate out-of-state (i.e. where we want to do residency)?

The first scheduled interviews usually end up being sometime in September...gives them time to get all the first years adjusted and review all the applications that come in right at the beginning of the cycle is my guess. Pretty standard start time for interviews. They usually start filling up pretty quickly...all the apps that get in right when the cycle opens seem to fill up interview days up through almost November from what I've noticed. There are always exceptions of course, but in years past, it seems like people who were complete pretty early in the game got late Nov and even Dec interviews. Applying early truly does pay off!

i agree that completing early has its benefits for the most part. but don't get discouraged if someone reading this happens to apply later or thinks their file has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for months - there's always outliers. i decided to apply to dcom ~dec, had my secondary in sometime in january, and got an invite three days after my file was complete. so, they really do look at personal statements, etc, carefully, meaning that it's always worthwhile to apply.

as for pros/cons, i really did want more control over scheduling when i first applied - since i'm from out of state, i wanted the chance to move around; the relative freedom of rotations is what basically convinced me to drop other schools as options.

...however, now i'm realizing that i have *no* idea what field i want to go into, and for practical reasons ($$$$$), i'm pretty much sticking to my core site for most of rotations for third year. so, having to schedule my own rotations (with the rotation coordinator's help, of course) is sort of a bigger pain than a benefit this year.

...that said, i AM excited to be able to head wherever i want fourth year. between ~june - dec, depending on whom you talk to, it's pretty convenient to get a chance to rotate through a site you might be interested in, and DCOM's rotation system allows you to (in theory) rotate somewhere you want to interview at, killing two birds with one big, big stone. i'm keeping my fingers crossed it actually works out for me that way, and that i'll have a better idea of where and what program i want to call home during residency. of course, all that requires that you're prepared to live out of a suitcase for a few months, or that you're pretty set on a particular program.

hope that helped - it's more relevant for 2nd years, but it is info you might want to consider while you still have the choice to attend or not :)

Can someone educate me a little on LMU's clinical rotations? I thought I read that they were all in TN. If we set up our own clinicals, could we theoretically rotate out-of-state (i.e. where we want to do residency)?

during third year, you spend 6 months (either first semester - core first - or second - core second) at a contracted hospital, most of which ARE in TN. the exceptions are - wellmont in norton, VA; a site in hazard, ky; and one in alabama, but this site is generally reserved for alabama residents who attend DCOM (we have had a couple exceptions made for non-AL folks though). the other sites are in knoxville, kingsport, crossville/cookville, and a couple others i can't recall - they are listed on the dcom website and may change slightly by the time 2016 hits them.

the other 6 months of third year are for you to schedule - there are 3 selectives which must be in DCOM's scheduling system (but these are NOT all in TN - there are sites in FL, VA, MI, etc etc); there are also 2 electives, which you can initiate on your own and then set up w the coordinator's help. there is also one month of family medicine, which you complete at a site linked to your core rotation site.

during 4th year, there are several months of community hospital which are a requirement, and it's scheduled for either your fall or spring semester. other than that, you are free to choose selectives/electives to round out your schedule and hopefully audition at a couple sites you want to interview at.

there's a better answer in the dcom handbook but you can worry about that more should you choose to attend dcom. during the interview the admin also addresses the clinical curriculum and you'll have a chance to ask them questions about it.

I really want to hear from LMU!

I really want to hear from LMU!

Same here! I sent in my secondary awhile ago, and they had emailed me on July 28th to let me know that my file was complete. Hopefully, we'll hear about interviews soon. I think we're supposed to get a phone call which is a nice personal touch. I've already been given an interview from one school, so I'm eager to be contacted by the others!

So wanted to let everyone know that interview invites have started. I have one for Tuesday September 13th. I applied very late last year and got an interview, but was waitlisted. Excited to get another opportunity to show them how much I want to attent Debusk and become an Osteopathic physician. I am a non-traditional with many years in the health care field good GPA and excellent science GPA but avg. 1st MCAT and worse second MCAT with more prep, so go figure. Keeping my fingers crossed and again excited about the opportunity.

So wanted to let everyone know that interview invites have started. I have one for Tuesday September 13th. I applied very late last year and got an interview, but was waitlisted. Excited to get another opportunity to show them how much I want to attent Debusk and become an Osteopathic physician. I am a non-traditional with many years in the health care field good GPA and excellent science GPA but avg. 1st MCAT and worse second MCAT with more prep, so go figure. Keeping my fingers crossed and again excited about the opportunity.

Congratulations! Its about time they started going out! I interviewed in febuary last year and was waitlisted as well. Hopefully I hear some good news soon also. Do u mind letting me know when u got the "complete" email?

Congrats! Robin just called me as well, and I'm interviewing on the same day! September 13th! :)

Hey guys, congratulations on the interview invites! I'm a first year at DCOM and I've been really happy with the school so far. I'll also be signing up to do some of the pre-interview pizza nights, so hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some fellow SDN'ers.

I'm just a first year and we're only a few weeks in, but feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Hey guys, congratulations on the interview invites! I'm a first year at DCOM and I've been really happy with the school so far. I'll also be signing up to do some of the pre-interview pizza nights, so hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some fellow SDN'ers.

I'm just a first year and we're only a few weeks in, but feel free to ask any questions you might have!

Thank you! I'm really excited! This is my second interview invite so far. Robin told me about the pizza nights. I'm going to drive down the night before my interview, so hopefully I can make it to dinner and meet with you guys. I do have a couple of questions in regards to the interviews. How did your interviews go last year? What kind of questions did they ask? Did you have interviews with individual people or with a panel? Thanks! :)

Thank you! I'm really excited! This is my second interview invite so far. Robin told me about the pizza nights. I'm going to drive down the night before my interview, so hopefully I can make it to dinner and meet with you guys. I do have a couple of questions in regards to the interviews. How did your interviews go last year? What kind of questions did they ask? Did you have interviews with individual people or with a panel? Thanks! :)

Definitely do the pizza night! Its really relaxed, just a few students answering any questions you might have. It doesn't have any bearing on whether you get accepted or not, so it's a really good opportunity to get the tougher questions you might have out of the way. I interviewed at a handful of schools, and DCOM was the only place that did this. I'm participating in it this year because I thought it was such a great idea and contributed really positively to my interview experience. Definitely make an effort to go.

The interview was pretty relaxed. If they do it the same way as they did last year, you'll probably interview with two people. They'll kind of alternate and ask the standard questions, sometimes following up on things you have mentioned. Make sure you prepare with the standard "why medicine," "why DO," and "why our school." They are also very likely to ask you about your thoughts on rural medicine and primary care. They like to emphasize both of those here, but don't feel pressured to say you are specifically excited about either (I didn't, although I did acknowledge their value). Lastly, make sure you have a question to ask at the end of the interview. Something specific to the school is usually good IMO. Outside of the interview itself, you will also get a few short presentations on the curriculum, financial aid, and a few other things I think. There is a student tour of the building and a riding tour of the campus/surrounding area with Bob who is a cool dude. Definitely do both of those. At the end there is a free lunch as well.

It was the interview process that really sold me on this school, and I'm sure your experience will be the same. Congratulations again and best of luck!

Last edited:
Definitely do the pizza night! Its really relaxed, just a few students answering any questions you might have. It doesn't have any bearing on whether you get accepted or not, so it's a really good opportunity to get the tougher questions you might have out of the way. I interviewed at a handful of schools, and DCOM was the only place that did this. I'm participating in it this year because I thought it was such a great idea and contributed really positively to my interview experience. Definitely make an effort to go.

The interview was pretty relaxed. If they do it the same way as they did last year, you'll probably interview with two people. They'll kind of alternate and ask the standard questions, sometimes following up on things you have mentioned. Make sure you prepare with the standard "why medicine," "why DO," and "why our school." They are also very likely to ask you about your thoughts on rural medicine and primary care. They like to emphasize both of those here, but don't feel pressured to say you are specifically excited about either (I didn't, although I did acknowledge their value). Lastly, make sure you have a question to ask at the end of the interview. Something specific to the school is usually good IMO. Outside of the interview itself, you will also get a few short presentations on the curriculum, financial aid, and a few other things I think. There is a student tour of the building and a riding tour of the campus/surrounding area with Bob who is a cool dude. Definitely do both of those. At the end there is a free lunch as well.

It was the interview process that really sold me on this school, and I'm sure your experience will be the same. Congratulations again and best of luck!

Thank you so much for the advice! I really appreciate everything. I'm going to make an effort to come to the pizza night. I'm from Kentucky, and I currently go to UK. I have to drive down after class on the Monday before the interview, so hopefully I will make it in time.

I'm happy to hear the interview is very relaxed considering this will be my first med school interview! I'm really glad to know they ask about rural medicine and primary care. I'm from a small town in eastern Kentucky which is where I ultimately want to practice, and I'm leaning toward internal medicine and pediatrics right now. So perfect!

Thanks again for answering my questions. I'm sure there will be more to come. :)