LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Excellent post totally agree. Everyone waiting for interviews listen to these words of wisdom. Good luck to everyone waiting for the call and waiting to interview. Look forward to getting started and meeting everyone next year.

LMU-DCOM CLASS OF 2016!!!

Again, listen to that post. It is exactly how I feel it is at DCOM.

I'm stoked to meet everyone in the fall. :D

Members don't see this ad.

ive been complete foreverrrrr n im dyingg to get an interview here!
its one of my top choices!
3.2/3.4
mcat 25
:(

Send a Letter of interest -- it can't hurt.

ive been complete foreverrrrr n im dyingg to get an interview here!
its one of my top choices!
3.2/3.4
mcat 25
:(

Same. My file was complete on Oct. 11th and I want to get a call from them about the interview invitation. For those who got accepted, how long did it take for you guys to get a call after your file was complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. My file was complete on Oct. 11th and I want to get a call from them about the interview invitation. For those who got accepted, how long did it take for you guys to get a call after your file was complete?

My file was complete the same day as well. Hopefully you and I will be hearing something hear in the near future (Monday morning ideally :D).

I am in the same boat as yall :( Complete Oct. 3rd. I feel this is the week for us :xf:

ive been complete since august!!!

i have talked to a couple people who got interviews here and they both said that it took about a month to a month and a half to hear about their interviews after being complete

You are definitely at the point for a letter of intent and it could even be by e-mail. Remind them of your sincere interest in the school and devotion to the school's mission (if all of that is true).

Yea, I will definitely call them what is up with your file. Hearing nothing from them over 2 months after your file was complete seems out of normality.

Yea, call. When I sent my secondary, Megan Mars said it was currently taking 2 weeks to review and 1-2 weeks to get an interview invite. FYI

For me, it was actually odd. I called their admissions to get an update and she transferred my call. Then the admissions person said when do you want to schedule your interview? I was like shocked because I hadn't even been emailed or called about the interview but I guess they were going to inform me soon.

It took about 2-3 weeks since I got the complete email to get an interview invite. I wouldn't think it takes more than a month, if so, you need to call admissions asap.

Good luck!

I actually called because I kept getting emails to fill out the secondary, but I was complete. So once the confusion was cleared up, they evaluated my application that day. I got an email stating I would get an interview if I accepted the international student policy. I took about a month after that to get the official phone call. Laiba, I would call to find out the status of your application.

Anybody interviewing on Nov 29th? I am arriving at Knoxville airport at 10:30 am on the 28thand driving 2 hours to Harrogate. I am going back on the 29th to Knoxville to catch a 5:45 pm flight.Anybody interested in carpooling and sharing a room at Holiday Inn or Sleep Inn?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody interviewing on Nov 29th? I am arriving at Knoxville airport at 10:30 am on the 28thand driving 2 hours to Harrogate. I am going back on the 29th to Knoxville to catch a 5:45 pm flight.Anybody interested in carpooling and sharing a room at Holiday Inn or Sleep Inn?

I am also interviewing the 29th of November! I would love to share a rental car / room with somebody. Are you a male or female? I'm a male and married and wouldn't feel comfortable sharing a room with a female. However, we can split the rental car either way!

Hey Everyone,

This may be a silly question but does anyone know when/where the pizza hut is for tomorrow evening (910/25)? I am not familiar with the area and I am staying in the holiday inn, so just trying to figure out how to get to it.

Has anyone been to the pizza hut meeting with student? What time should we get there?

Thanks so much for helping me out!

Hey Everyone,

This may be a silly question but does anyone know when/where the pizza hut is for tomorrow evening (910/25)? I am not familiar with the area and I am staying in the holiday inn, so just trying to figure out how to get to it.

Has anyone been to the pizza hut meeting with student? What time should we get there?

Thanks so much for helping me out!

From the Holiday Inn, take a left out of the parking lot and the pizza hut will be on your right a couple of blocks down. You can't miss it. I believe the pizza night is usually 630p(eastern time) and last till 830-900p depending on when you are ready to leave. It is a very casual affair where you just get to talk to current students and asked them anything you want. You also will be meeting and talking with fellow interviewees. Good luck!

LMU-DCOM Class of 2016!!!

INTERVIEW INVITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
my very first and only one yet!!!
now i dont knowwww anything about med skool interviews lol
i love loooove to get any help from someone who has interviews here

I head interview is closed file...what exactly does that mean?
what information would they have access to and what info not in front of them?

please let me know!

please let me know!

haha I like your excitement!

The interview is closed file, which means that the people interviewing you will not have your application in front of them. They won't be asking you about your GPA, MCAT, ECs, or any of that stuff because they won't know anything about them. Instead, the interview will most likely consist of the more "why medicine," "why DO," and "why our school" type questions. Check the SDN interview feedback page for other common questions.

When is your interview?

haha I like your excitement!

The interview is closed file, which means that the people interviewing you will not have your application in front of them. They won't be asking you about your GPA, MCAT, ECs, or any of that stuff because they won't know anything about them. Instead, the interview will most likely consist of the more "why medicine," "why DO," and "why our school" type questions. Check the SDN interview feedback page for other common questions.

When is your interview?

where is the SDN interview feedback page...i cant find it :-s

my interview is november 29 :)

Anybody know what is the interview:acceptance ratio?

Interview feedback page
(the link is towards the top of the page, in the dark blue bar next to "bookstore." Just look up ;).

The post-interview acceptance rate isn't a published statistic, but people generally estimate it is somewhere around 50%. That's just a guess, though.

please let me know!

Glad to hear you finally got an interview!! Did you end up having to call them about what was taking so long?? I am still waiting on an interview, been complete just a few weeks though. Good Luck!!

SO excited! Just got the call for an interview, my first one so far!! I will be there Nov. 29th!!!!!!!! :D

SO excited! Just got the call for an interview, my first one so far!! I will be there Nov. 29th!!!!!!!! :D

Congrats! You were complete on Oct. 3rd, right? So, it took about 3 weeks to hear about the interview, then. I was complete on Oct. 11th which is a week later than yours. So, hope that I can hear the decision regarding interview invitation next week!

Can any current students or those from the area comment on apartments? I looked online and couldn't really find any info on what rent is like here and what is available. Also, is there shopping and restaurants/bars in the area? From what I can gather, its a really small town. Thanks!

Congrats! You were complete on Oct. 3rd, right? So, it took about 3 weeks to hear about the interview, then. I was complete on Oct. 11th which is a week later than yours. So, hope that I can hear the decision regarding interview invitation next week!

Yep, Oct. 3rd. I had actually emailed them this morning to inquire about my status and got the phone call a few hours later! I'm sure you will get some news soon!!

Can any current students or those from the area comment on apartments? I looked online and couldn't really find any info on what rent is like here and what is available. Also, is there shopping and restaurants/bars in the area? From what I can gather, its a really small town. Thanks!

I think there is info on this if you scroll back through the pages in this thread, but basically for housing you have 3 choices:

1. The LMU dorms/apartments ("The Inn"). These are about 5 minutes from campus and are managed by the school. They are a converted Holiday Inn or something like that. Approx $500 per month all inclusive, deducted all at once from your student account. You'll see these on your tour.

2. The Ball Realty apartments. These are 1 or 2 bedroom apartments about 5 mins from campus. I think it is about $500ish for a 1 br or $650ish for a 2 br plus utilities. The complex is almost exclusively DCOM students so maybe someone else will get on here and give you more detail about these.

3. Rent a house from someone in the area. This is what I'm doing. The prices vary widely depending on how big the place is, whether you are sharing or not, etc. This route is definitely the most economical if you are sharing (can be as low as $200 a month or so) and you get the most space/privacy. On the downside though, you are usually responsible for property maintenance and managing all the separate bills. Some people don't like that.

As far as the area, yeah it is small. Harrogate has almost nothing in it, but about 5 minutes away is Middlesboro KY and they have a bunch of stuff. Walmart, couple grocery stores, movie theater, a few restaurants (lots of fast food...), etc. It is enough to take care of necessities but thats about it. If you are looking for "big city" entertainment you're going to need to go to Knoxville which is about 1 hour away.

Hope this helps!

please let me know!

SEE I TOLD YOU!! LOL Just stay relaxed and be yourself! I'm sure you'll do great.

There's a LMU-DCOM Class of 2016 group on Facebook with about 30+ first and second year students in it who are answering our questions. This was one of them so join up!

Women who interviewed, did you wear a pant/skirt suit? I assume that is the appropriate thing, just wanted to make sure!

Also, is there shopping and restaurants/bars in the area? From what I can gather, its a really small town. Thanks!

There are a couple of restaurants in the neighboring towns, and there is plenty of fast food. There is a movie theater that a second year told me is $2 to see a movie, and they are current movies. He also said that he has had time to see 1 movie in his 2 years.

As far as bars, this school is in a dry county. Some of the neighboring counties are also dry. The students said you don't have to go "too" far to find a bar, but there are no clubs, and it just takes a little effort to get alcohol.

There are a couple of restaurants in the neighboring towns, and there is plenty of fast food. There is a movie theater that a second year told me is $2 to see a movie, and they are current movies. He also said that he has had time to see 1 movie in his 2 years.

As far as bars, this school is in a dry county. Some of the neighboring counties are also dry. The students said you don't have to go "too" far to find a bar, but there are no clubs, and it just takes a little effort to get alcohol.

Surprisingly (or maybe not so much), once you go through the tunnel into Middlesboro, there will be pretty much every fast food place on the entire street. The movie theater is $2.50 before 6 PM and $3.50 afterwards for new releases.

1. The LMU dorms/apartments ("The Inn"). These are about 5 minutes from campus and are managed by the school. They are a converted Holiday Inn or something like that. Approx $500 per month all inclusive, deducted all at once from your student account. You'll see these on your tour.

The Inn is the main bulk of apartments, but close by are the Mars Apartments, the two buildings at the entrance to the Inn. They're three-bedroom, and each apartment has its own washer and dryer (they're down the halls at the Inn). I definitely recommend them over the Inn, $450?, and you can still easily walk over to use the swimming pool or gym or hang out with other students. I should have lived there all two years.

This has been the longest 8 days post-interview!! Everyone was like LMU is quick and then the week we have our interviews, they decide they need more time to analyze applications! So they are going to analyze tomorrow and then if we get accepted and the Dean is there, make the calls on Friday!!! Let's hope tomorrow flies and Friday comes fast with good news!

This has been the longest 8 days post-interview!! Everyone was like LMU is quick and then the week we have our interviews, they decide they need more time to analyze applications! So they are going to analyze tomorrow and then if we get accepted and the Dean is there, make the calls on Friday!!! Let's hope tomorrow flies and Friday comes fast with good news!

Haha that is the luck right! Patiently waiting for Friday :xf:

I interviewed here today, and it was one of the most surprising experiences. I really didn't expect a WHOLE lot going in. Let me tell you, this school has it all, and the PEOPLE there are suuuuppper friendly. The technology of the building is incredible - I can't wait to see what the finished *new* building will look like. Interview questions are pretty much the basic one (why DO, why medicine, why DCOM, tell us your hobbies, your study habits). I could not have been more pleased coming out of that interview. Good luck to all you who have yet to interview.

OH, btw, I guess the AOA conference is next week, so there is a little delay on app decisions.

oh crap, I forgot!! The Dean is going to be away for the AOA conference so we won't get a call if accepted until next week!!!

talk about bad luck:/ patience is a virtue.

A lot of people aren't going to the conference until Saturday, so you might still get calls tomorrow, but I don't know. To the person asking about the small town...it is really small, but it has everything you absolutely need...and for other things Knoxville isn't that far. The school itself isn't in a dry county actually. Middlesboro is...but there are a few bars in Cumberland Gap and Oasis in Harrogate. There is only 1 bar you can get liquor at though...the rest is just beer. There is one store :love: Pappy's in Virginia (but it's like 5 min from school) where you can buy all sorts of specialty beer and wine, but the closest place there is a store where you can buy liquor is almost in Knoxville. Honestly though, I think I have had time to drink like twice since school started. Really, when you have time, the only thing you want to do is sleep.

I just called admissions and they said the decisions will be delayed and most likely won't go out until Nov. 1st or middle of next week....So I guess we shouldn't expect calls tomorrow. Yup, I have no patience, but at least it's Halloween weekend and going out will make the time pass faster.

I just called admissions and they said the decisions will be delayed and most likely won't go out until Nov. 1st or middle of next week....So I guess we shouldn't expect calls tomorrow. Yup, I have no patience, but at least it's Halloween weekend and going out will make the time pass faster.

Haha! I was/am the same way. Waiting on admissions decisions has definitely brought out my neurotic side. Good luck!! :xf::luck:

this was a great school..very happy with the interview and the staff...prob the best out there...

would it be too late to add this school (apply now) now?

would it be too late to add this school (apply now) now?

I think you can still apply now. I was talking to admissions last year about applying around JAN and they totally encouraged it still. so GOOD LUCK!

I received the secondary application in early July, but did not submit it until mid-early september. Maybe that has something to do with why I have not heard any thing back except it's still under review.

please let me know!
So did you call?

I received the secondary application in early July, but did not submit it until mid-early september. Maybe that has something to do with why I have not heard any thing back except it's still under review.

So did you call?

yesss i ended up calling! thanks to all the SDNers who encouraged me to call n ask if its been that long
and after asking my name the lady just goes like...wud you like to schedule ur interview rite now?
im like whaaaat!
hopefully it all goes well and i get in
i was complete late august at lmu i think...and my decision just came this week...
so i guess call in next week if u dont hear anything
all the best!!

Laiba, that's what happened to me when I called!! Haha, I was like why didn't they call me or email me about an interview invite...straight to picking a date!

Good luck:) I know you have waited months for it and now is your chance to shine!

Laiba, that's what happened to me when I called!! Haha, I was like why didn't they call me or email me about an interview invite...straight to picking a date!

Good luck:) I know you have waited months for it and now is your chance to shine!

thanks FuturePharm!
this seems to be my ONLY shot...n i gotta get this one!
lets hope my interview goes good n i get accepted
ive never had interviews...this is my first one so i have no idea what to expect...
but anyways i'll prepare as best i can