Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Discussion in 'Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by ShyRem, 04.24.11.

1. ParacrineAgent

ParacrineAgent

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    This is a very relaxed interview. They are going to sit you in a conference room and talk to you about the school, curriculum, and how to apply for financial aid. Then they will pull everyone out one at a time to interview where they will remind you to relax, then ask questions in a conversational type way and not so much like a quiz. Then a tour of the building, then lunch, then a tour of the student housing, and you're home free. You will be fine.

Best of luck to you. And if you need more specific details, you are welcome to PM me.
  2. Laiba

Laiba

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    ohhh...thankyou so much for the detailed information! really appreciate it :)
    will pm u for specifics ;)

3. debeatt

debeatt

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Just got an acceptance phone call from the dean. That's such a cool thing that LMU does....makes it even cooler that he called on a Sunday afternoon.
  4. FuturePharm21

FuturePharm21

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    debeatt: what time did you get the call? When was your interview?

I didn't get a call:/
  5. debeatt

debeatt

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I interviewed on Oct 18th. Maybe they called in alphabetical order. My name would be towards the top of the list.....
  6. corpsman33

corpsman33

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Laiba I am so happy for you. I have been rooting for you this whole time. Now go rock this interview!!

If you have any questions about the interview then feel free to PM me. I really hope you get in.
  7. Laiba

Laiba

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    im dyingggg to get into this school :(
    Thanks a lot for the encouragement!! you guys are awesome :)
    I just sent you a mssg
    let me know if u have any tips for me....
    specific questions...answers...dressing....anything at allll
    its my first interview in my lifeeee im so nervous lol
  8. DO1987

DO1987

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Laiba, be sure to check out the interview feedback page. The link is at the very top of the page on the dark blue bar.
  9. vandyam

vandyam Vulnera Sanentur

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I just sent you a very detailed message about my advice for the interview. Make sure you check it out. Good luck! You'll do amazing!
  10. CopToEM

CopToEM OMS-2

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    To make it even better he must have called from Orlando since they're there for the AOA conference! Can't beat that!
  11. GlimmerGlass

GlimmerGlass

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Accepted!! Received the phone call Sunday afternoon. Very happy :)
    Does anyone know when deposits are due? I got some big decisions to make soon.
  12. manny007

manny007

Pre-Medical
    i just got scheduled for an interview at LMU on the 8th of Nov. it is my first interview so far and i m so excited. I got complete on 10th of Oct. Would anyone here on SDN be there on that same day...I am so nervous already!!!my stats: 24/3.5(sgpa)
  13. fiznat

fiznat Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    Congratulations! I'll be there for your pizza night on the 7th.
  14. CompuMod

CompuMod

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I withdrew my application for this school. My interview date scheduled for November 7 is free for any takers. Good luck for those who will be interviewing here.
  15. DO1987

DO1987

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    When were you guys complete?
  16. CompuMod

CompuMod

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I was complete August 11.
    Interview invite on September 14.
    Scheduled for November 7.
    Withdrew October 31.
  17. fiznat

fiznat Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I'm a 1st year at DCOM-- I'll be there to answer questions at the pizza night ;)
  18. JohnScars

JohnScars

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    What's the minimum time you have to wait between having a complete file and receiving an interview? Crossing my fingers
  19. FuturePharm21

FuturePharm21

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Unfortunately, I was waitlisted here today...I have been placed on the alternate list and the list may or may not be used starting from May 15 to early Aug.

I have been accepted to one more school so I don't feel terrible, but it would have been great to have 2 acceptances!

How many people usually get off the wait list and when does it occur?
    Last edited: 10.31.11
  20. ParacrineAgent

ParacrineAgent

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    At the interview that I attended, they told us that they usually go through about 30 or so people from the wait list. The thing that they mentioned though, is that it is a non-ranked wait list. So, they just go over everyone's file again, without any predetermined order, when they get to that point, and make a decision then. There is no line.
  21. FuturePharm21

FuturePharm21

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    So basically being wait listed now versus being wait listed in March means the same thing? That stinks, oh well.
  22. CopToEM

CopToEM OMS-2

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah, that's what it means. Hang in there - you never know what can happen. At least you're in somewhere! Doctor one way or another! :thumbup:
  23. CopToEM

CopToEM OMS-2

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Everyone is different. Some have waited a week, some a month... I received the complete e-mail and my interview invite phone call 30 minutes apart. It just depends on how the cards fall! Good luck! :luck:
  24. beatenupcase

beatenupcase

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So to the people who have received the interview, did you complete all the prerequisites prior?
  25. Laiba

Laiba

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    no
  26. se20001984

se20001984

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    thats a good question....

how many are the once that got accepted missing?
  27. 925native

925native

Pre-Medical
    hello!

so im interviewing here on the 15th of november and was wondering if anyone who already interviewed here could pm some details on what to expect, example questions, format- or any tips on how to prepare?

thanks!
  28. Styria

Styria

SDN 5+ Year Member
    Not only that, but he's President-Elect of the AOA and calling from the convention. He was very busy there!

Can't wait to see if he still makes the calls when he's President of the AOA. Probably will, he enjoys it.
  29. papercrown

papercrown Member

SDN 2+ Year Member
    :thumbup: I hope he knows how his phone call changed this person's life.
  30. mmmcakes

mmmcakes

Pre-Medical
    any advice on what outfit to wear? i'm thinking that my suit may be a bit too flashy. its a tad shiny, from express with a thin collar. fits really well but is mroe of the slim/tight fit. i just don't want to look too flashy in a rural consdrvative area. its not quite that way here! i don't really want to go buy another suit but if i do it will be grey and less athletic fit. along iwth some more conservative shirt/tie choices.
  31. Total180

Total180

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I wouldn't be too worried about it being too conservative of an area for a tight fitting suit...unless your top is hanging out of it or something haha. Most of our professors are transplants from other parts of the country....they aren't all southern conservatives. However, if you would feel more comfortable in a more traditional suit, I would get one, because you don't want anything else contributing to your feeling of uncomfortableness during an interview! Good luck!:thumbup:
  32. Total180

Total180

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I wouldn't be too worried about it being too conservative of an area for a tight fitting suit.. Most of our professors are transplants from other parts of the country....they aren't all southern conservatives. However, if you would feel more comfortable in a more traditional suit, I would get one, because you don't want anything else contributing to your feeling of uncomfortableness during an interview! Good luck!:thumbup:
  33. CopToEM

CopToEM OMS-2

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Don't sweat the outfit, I don't think they care... would you wear the suit into a patient's room as their physician? If the answer is yes then you're fine. You can tell DCOM is a school that is not out to judge you on how much money is in the bank and/or how much money you can drop on a suit for the interview.

That interview clothing thread over on the MD forums is the most neurotic thing on these forums. Who cares what color tie and how many inches your dress shirt sticks out from under your sleeves? Just dress nice and don't sweat all the details!
  34. JohnScars

JohnScars

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I've been complete for a few days now and I haven't received a call for an interview! AHHHHHHH I love LMU, this is killing me!
  35. ParacrineAgent

ParacrineAgent

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Don't sweat it. I was complete for over a month before getting a call to interview. They are/were out for the AoA convention and therefore a little behind.
  36. futuredoc911

futuredoc911

SDN 2+ Year Member
    can anyone pm me advice about the interview at lmu? i have mine for early dec..thanks!
  37. CopToEM

CopToEM OMS-2

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Source: http://lmu1.lmunet.edu/cgi-bin/MySQLdb?VIEW=/news/view_one.txt&newsid=1135

38. clinke

clinke MS-1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That seems like a pretty cool program that they offer. However, one needs to weigh whether they want to start medical school early, haha. In the long run, probably will make the rest easier.
  39. manny007

manny007

Pre-Medical
    I live about 2 and half hours from LMU so i would have prefered to drive to lmu that morning to save money instead of coming over the previous night and staying in an hotel. However, I don't want to miss the pizza night because i feel there would be lots of relevant questions answered by y'all in the forum. So what do you suggest? Do you think it is a stupid idea to miss the pizza night?
  40. fiznat

fiznat Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I wouldn't say it is stupid necessarily, but I think you would definitely miss out. When I interviewed at LMU last year I thought the pizza night was one of the best experiences of the whole trip. I learned a lot of things about the school that I wouldn't have otherwise, and got the opportunity to ask questions that I wouldn't have felt comfortable asking during the formal interview. I would go if it is at all possible.

Also, I wouldn't recommend leaving a 2.5 hour drive until the morning of the interview.
  41. manny007

manny007

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for your insight sir/ma (since i dont know what gender):). I would go ahead and book a hotel right away. See you at the pizza night!
  42. vandyam

vandyam Vulnera Sanentur

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Wow, that is awesome. What a really cool program to offer! I don't think I'd be able to take it if I matriculate here, because of work and stuff (although you never know), but I would think it would be worthwhile (albeit intensive). It would make the school year so much easier (it's a hard adjustment), solidify the anatomy knowledge even more, and probably raise board scores because your time/attention is able to better focus on other topics. Plus, for the (I'm sure small group) that does the program, you would probably be pretty tight at the end of it. Kudos.
  43. moca83

moca83

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Last edited: 11.16.12
  44. ParacrineAgent

ParacrineAgent

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Moca, you seem to be in pretty good shape. I know they told us that they interview 600ish applicants and accept 160ish. You can do the math for a raw odds figure. As far as questions, check out the interview feedback page for the school, which has been posted a half dozen times in the last several pages. It's just a laid back interview, I felt comfortable the entire time I was there and almost no stress. Go to the pizza night if you can, and enjoy the experience while you're there.
  45. fiznat

fiznat Senior Member

Medical Student
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    I'm not sure of the exact number, but they definitely accept more than 160 since that is the class size.
  46. DO1987

DO1987

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I believe they accept ~260 for a class of 160
  47. moca83

moca83

SDN 2+ Year Member
    What about in-state status? Are they only concerned with people who will presumably practice in TN? I'm really not blowing smoke when I say that I'm open and willing to practice just about anywhere. Thanks for the feedback! :thumbup:
  48. DO1987

DO1987

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    There might be a slight regional perference..but there are people there from all over the nation.
  49. clinke

clinke MS-1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    For those who interview on Oct 26, they informed us that they were making their decision today - hopefully we will be getting phone calls!
  50. se20001984

se20001984

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    i thought it was next week bc of the conferance

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal