LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it eases your nerves at all, most people don't really secure housing until April or May. It's hard to secure housing in a rural area where housing only becomes available once 2nd years leave. Patience, my little ones :)

Little ones....lol. I put a 100 bucks on it that I have at least 4 years on you (not that I pride myself on being an old college student). I was on the 12 year bachelor plan....lol. But ohhhh the life experience I have!

Members don't see this ad.

That blows. I was waitlisted at an MD and another DO, but I was accepted at LMU (so the opposite of you). I dropped all my other interviews because I liked LMU so much.

Good luck to you!

I got waitlisted then rejected at etsu. Lmu felt like the do equivalent of etsu. Ut Memphis is supposed to interview me soon and tbh I'd go there based on the distance from home and I have family that attended and friends there currently

Little ones....lol. I put a 100 bucks on it that I have at least 4 years on you (not that I pride myself on being an old college student). I was on the 12 year bachelor plan....lol. But ohhhh the life experience I have!
It was indeed an intentional comment, since I had picked up on the fact that you were a non-trad previously, no worries. It is weird though, the unspoken hierarchy that comes into play once you're in school. People who are very much your junior becoming your mentor....some of my most favorite classmates though are the ones that deem themselves something like the OMC or OMG, for old man's club/group. So I'll keep my 100 bucks, thankyouverymuch :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It was indeed an intentional comment, since I had picked up on the fact that you were a non-trad previously, no worries. It is weird though, the unspoken hierarchy that comes into play once you're in school. People who are very much your junior becoming your mentor....some of my most favorite classmates though are the ones that deem themselves something like the OMC or OMG, for old man's club/group. So I'll keep my 100 bucks, thankyouverymuch :)

Coming to medical school as an older student, while younger people mentor me is nothing. I joined the military late too. Now THAT was humbling, having 20 year old guys who out ranked me giving me orders...lol. Luckily I picked up rank very quickly and so my rank eventually caught up with my age.

But I have no problem humbling myself to learn from those younger than me. So I will join the OMG and will gladly learn from those who have wisdom to impart....:D

Don't worry corpsman, we'll show them 'ol whipper snappers!

Coming to medical school as an older student, while younger people mentor me is nothing. I joined the military late too. Now THAT was humbling, having 20 year old guys who out ranked me giving me orders...lol. Luckily I picked up rank very quickly and so my rank eventually caught up with my age.

But I have no problem humbling myself to learn from those younger than me. So I will join the OMG and will gladly learn from those who have wisdom to impart....:D

Haha, well 2014 certainly has the OMG to learn from....however, I can't say I've noticed a similar group in 2015 unfortunately. Maybe your class will carry on the tradition from my class :)

Just wanted to jump on here and spread my good news. Dean Stowers called me yesterday afternoon! Looks like he is still making those phone calls, I imagine it's fun for him to hear our excitement when we get accepted. Although he was probably confused when I burst into tears. Tears of JOY though friends!!! Good luck to those others who are waiting, good things are to come I promise!!! :)

Just wanted to jump on here and spread my good news. Dean Stowers called me yesterday afternoon! Looks like he is still making those phone calls, I imagine it's fun for him to hear our excitement when we get accepted. Although he was probably confused when I burst into tears. Tears of JOY though friends!!! Good luck to those others who are waiting, good things are to come I promise!!! :)

Congrats

Congrats! When did you interview??

Hey Corpsman and CopToEM, I'm right there with you- my first semester of college was September 2001. My wife and I just had our first baby!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I also got my acceptance call from Dean Stowers on Saturday afternoon!!! I was in shock LOLLLL!!!! All I could say was "thank you, thank you, Thank you" and he must have thought I was a *****. Anyhow, I also interviewed on the 13th so I'm really wondering who the poster is who got accepted because there were only 8 of us there! :)

hello,

I also got call from the dean on Saturday , I interviewed on Tuesday, Hurray!!! I am still in shock !!

hello,

I also got call from the dean on Saturday , I interviewed on Tuesday, Hurray!!! I am still in shock !!
Poland is that you?!

PS If anyone else out there gets a call please let us know...I also interviewed the 14th and am still waiting....

I interviewed on the 13th and have not gotten a phone call either. I think the writing is on the wall. Im convinced that I have either been waitlisted or rejected. Blah.
Ditto. :/

I'm interviewing 3/5, any words of advice for a natural nervous person? ha

Hey Corpsman and CopToEM, I'm right there with you- my first semester of college was September 2001. My wife and I just had our first baby!
Dude...you WON'T be alone. My classmates breed like rabbits it seems :)

Read the interview feedback on here. Be yourself.

And if you just can't contain yourself, read my blog :) It'll give you a feel for what the school is like, which is always a plus when interviewing.

Yeah, I'm not above shameless plugs... lol

As everybody told me before mine interview - Relax, they are really nice . I know it is easier said than done but believe me, waiting post interview is much more nerve wracking than before. I went trough all interview feedback but questions on the interview were mostly about my past and interests in osteopathy. Only ethics question from the list. I thought I did not do well because it was very difficult to get connection with the interviewers but the effect was great so do not worry and be yourself and show them how much U want it.

Head up! That list will be moving more than normal this year I suspect. :luck: :thumbup:

That's what I'm hoping for :xf:

I wish it would just start moving now though! On the other hand, my stats are probably not as good as most on the list...

Dude...you WON'T be alone. My classmates breed like rabbits it seems :)

That's what I hear, I'm super excited to hear about my daughter's playdates via text message from my soon-to-be estranged wife! Hooray for med school! (yeah some of that may have been sarcasm, but I really am excited for both school and classmates with spouses and kids)

Last edited:
Hey Aslan, is your screen name from the books "Chronicles of Narnia"? I really like that series....I am a kid at heart.

Haha, well 2014 certainly has the OMG to learn from....however, I can't say I've noticed a similar group in 2015 unfortunately. Maybe your class will carry on the tradition from my class :)

Ha, ha if you any of you guys are older then I will gladly step aside:laugh:

I turned 40 in January! Been out of the Navy for 17 years and being doing PT for nearly 13. Hey, it's all in fun. I can humble myself with the best of them.

Hey Aslan, is your screen name from the books "Chronicles of Narnia"? I really like that series....I am a kid at heart.

Yes corpsman it is! I too am a kid a heart. And you'd be surprised at how many people don't know those books. I'm glad at least one other DCOMer is up on good reads!

Ha, ha if you any of you guys are older then I will gladly step aside:laugh:

I turned 40 in January! Been out of the Navy for 17 years and being doing PT for nearly 13. Hey, it's all in fun. I can humble myself with the best of them.

I know of at least 1 50+ person in 2015 and I think some of the guys in my class are pushing 40, so it's all good :)

Last edited:
I got my acceptance letter in the mail last week but I never got a call from the dean. I know they said he was away for a couple of weeks but it seems like people who interviewed after me have already heard from him.

I guess it's not a big deal anyway but : (

@WishDr: Lower gpa than you could ever imagine, 24Q.

Last edited:
Hey Everyone! Just got accepted =) and I'm out of state.. Anyone have tips on how to find housing out there? I'm having trouble locating anything online...

Anybody else get accepted that interviewed last week?

FYI the DOA told us that they have just approved a class size increase of 75 seats for this fall's class. So the class just went from being 75% full to just under half full. Not sure how this will shake out but I'm guessing they will either add interview dates or it will be very good for the waitlisters.

FYI the DOA told us that they have just approved a class size increase of 75 seats for this fall's class. So the class just went from being 75% full to just under half full. Not sure how this will shake out but I'm guessing they will either add interview dates or it will be very good for the waitlisters.

I think the first part of your quote has been generally known for quite some time... I think they are just being more open with it now- which is a good thing!

The second part... did they tell you it's just under half full? That seems really low to me... I would have guessed it was at least 75% including the added seats.

I think the first part of your quote has been generally known for quite some time... I think they are just being more open with it now- which is a good thing!

The second part... did they tell you it's just under half full? That seems really low to me... I would have guessed it was at least 75% including the added seats.

yeah my interview was almost 3 weeks ago and they told us THEN that the class was almost 1/2 full...unless less people turned in deposits then they anticipated?

Hmm well in that case maybe this is just the standard speech they give every interview group. As I remember she said to us "we have just received permission to add 75 seats to the class and the good news for you guys this late in the cycle is that the class just went from around 3/4 full to just under half full."

I wasn't aware of the increase so it could be that this was true back when the increase was actually approved and the class has since filled up further.

She actually did say that they might not fill all of the seats and it would depend on how many qualified applicants there were, so maybe they aren't going to add late interview dates.

Hmm well in that case maybe this is just the standard speech they give every interview group. As I remember she said to us "we have just received permission to add 75 seats to the class and the good news for you guys this late in the cycle is that the class just went from around 3/4 full to just under half full."

I wasn't aware of the increase so it could be that this was true back when the increase was actually approved and the class has since filled up further.

She actually did say that they might not fill all of the seats and it would depend on how many qualified applicants there were, so maybe they aren't going to add late interview dates.

The waitlisters have their fingers crossed for this. :xf: Although them saying they won't fill all the seats is a little confusing to me... I understand they only want to add the most qualified applicants... but she said they may not fill open seats? Hmm. Looking at it from purely a business standpoint, I would think they would want to fill all of the seats, because if they don't, that's just lost $$ for them.. I'm no dean of a med school though.

The waitlisters have their fingers crossed for this. :xf: Although them saying they won't fill all the seats is a little confusing to me... I understand they only want to add the most qualified applicants... but she said they may not fill open seats? Hmm. Looking at it from purely a business standpoint, I would think they would want to fill all of the seats, because if they don't, that's just lost $$ for them.. I'm no dean of a med school though.

From what I've seen most schools have a target enrollment range, not a strict number of seats. i.e. a school with 200 seats may take 207 people one year and 196 the next. Just because they have 4 extra seats doesn't mean they will just hand them out, but at the same time they may stretch their resources to add a few additonal people to the class if they feel strongly enough that they are the right fit. Its a pretty subjective process I think.

Any way you look at it, the additional seats are only going to help your chances as a waitlister.

Hmmm no idea. Like I said about my interview experience, there were 9 of us (I think) and out of that, only 3 have gotten in (we were keeping in touch with each other)...everyone else that replied was waitlisted...I think they're waitlisting a lot at this point...

oh well, gluck to everyone. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that the increased seats help me out!

How many hours of classes are do you take in your first year and what is the schedule like at this school? Are you in class from 8-4 or what?

Does this school have intramurals? Is there a workout facility? What do students there do for entertainment during their minimal amount of space time? How are the clinical rotations?

Last edited: