LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does this school have intramurals? Is there a workout facility? What do students there do for entertainment during their minimal amount of space time? How are the clinical rotations?

I interviewed today - yes they have intramurals (somebody even said that your spouse/significant other can play!).

There is a workout facility, but they say it's nothing special - but they are possibly building a new one for next year...

For entertainment (according to students and staff) - more than 17 miles of hiking trails in the immediate area, small movie theatre with new movies for $3 - $4 per ticket, drives to Knoxville occasionally, one bar in town which is apparently decent depending on who's there, enjoy the BEAUTIFUL mountain views and scenic drives, get involved in one of quite a few clubs/organizations that they have...

Clinicals - very few local options, but a lot within the Knoxville/East TN area and surrounding regions. I believe they are giving our class something like 6 months of elective rotations which seems pretty cool.

Hope this helps. I was impressed!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed today - yes they have intramurals (somebody even said that your spouse/significant other can play!).

There is a workout facility, but they say it's nothing special - but they are possibly building a new one for next year...

For entertainment (according to students and staff) - more than 17 miles of hiking trails in the immediate area, small movie theatre with new movies for $3 - $4 per ticket, drives to Knoxville occasionally, one bar in town which is apparently decent depending on who's there, enjoy the BEAUTIFUL mountain views and scenic drives, get involved in one of quite a few clubs/organizations that they have...

Clinicals - very few local options, but a lot within the Knoxville/East TN area and surrounding regions. I believe they are giving our class something like 6 months of elective rotations which seems pretty cool.

:thumbup:

And where did you hear about this new workout facility?

Also, about rotations, supposedly there is going to be a nice, new rotation site in Franklin, TN next year.

I am trying to decide between LMU and WCU. Does anybody have any suggestions that might make my decision easier?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to decide between LMU and WCU. Does anybody have any suggestions that might make my decision easier?

Sure, have you read WCU thread? There are groups of students who spend the greater half of their day writing about how horrible the program treats them. I would choose LMU. Most students on this thread tend to regard their program at LMU in high regard. You might need to do some soul searching!

Sure, have you read WCU thread? There are groups of students who spend the greater half of their day writing about how horrible the program treats them. I would choose LMU. Most students on this thread tend to regard their program at LMU in high regard. You might need to do some soul searching!

One of the main reasons I chose LMU was that it was hard to find anyone who said they would have made a different decision if they could turn back time. I couldn't say the same for the other schools that I was interested in.

Nearly everyone has gripes about certain things but that's inevitable with any program. It's important to realize that and look through many of the comments on here. Ask yourself, "is this a personal issue or an issue with the program?" You have to ignore the personal issues and look for the ones that have greater impact. I.E. "So and so lab is poorly ran," is likely a personal issue. It's an opinion. "We were told that two of the core rotation sites are no longer available at the end of the first year," is of bigger concern.

I took DCOM's offer and pulled my apps at all other schools so I never faced 'the decision.' I don't know how you guys do it... tough shoes to be in.

One of the main reasons I chose LMU was that it was hard to find anyone who said they would have made a different decision if they could turn back time. I couldn't say the same for the other schools that I was interested in.

Nearly everyone has gripes about certain things but that's inevitable with any program. It's important to realize that and look through many of the comments on here. Ask yourself, "is this a personal issue or an issue with the program?" You have to ignore the personal issues and look for the ones that have greater impact. I.E. "So and so lab is poorly ran," is likely a personal issue. It's an opinion. "We were told that two of the core rotation sites are no longer available at the end of the first year," is of bigger concern.

I took DCOM's offer and pulled my apps at all other schools so I never faced 'the decision.' I don't know how you guys do it... tough shoes to be in.

I'm not going to DCOM, I actually don't even know if I got in yet but I really liked another school so I've decided to go there. I must say this though, everyone I met at DCOM loved the school, they all seemed genuinely happy. The staff also really impressed me. They made a real effort to get to know the students, I was even told that some of the deans/profs have students over for dinner/drinks in order to cultivate personal relationships you don't get in class. I also heard that the head dean teaches students how to BBQ. I thought this was really cool and LMU would be my second choice if I hadn't gotten into my first choice.

As long as you're cool with living in TN then I think its a great choice.

Does anyone know if it would be okay/appropriate for my two year old daughter and me to go with my husband to the Pizza Hut meet and greet? He is interviewing there soon and we will be traveling with him. Thanks in advance!!

Does anyone know if it would be okay/appropriate for my two year old daughter and me to go with my husband to the Pizza Hut meet and greet? He is interviewing there soon and we will be traveling with him. Thanks in advance!!

Yeah you pay your own way so its fine. Also LMU was the only school that actually seemed to want family members to come along, they asked us if anyone had brought any and said the only time they aren't welcome is in the interview room.

Got the letter today...ACCEPTED!!!! I can't believe it! I'm so stoked :D:highfive::clap::soexcited:

did anyone else who interviewed on 2/28 get the letter yet?

I don't see why not. We get a lot of people who bring significant others, etc. Kids aren't nearly as frequent but it's a very casual student-run event so I really don't think anyone would mind.

Hey by the way, FOR THOSE WHO HAVE INTERVIEWED ALREADY:

Would you mind commenting on what you thought of the pizza night specifically? I participate in that event fairly often, but I was thinking about suggesting that we change the location for next year. The service at Pizza Hut is pretty variable (every time at least one person gets the wrong order or doesn't get it at all), and oftentimes people are kinda confused as to what they can order ("should I get a whole pizza," etc). There is a decent Italian place right near the campus - you can actually see DCOM from the restaurant - it's pretty cheap, and there is a lot more selection. Only downside is it is a little farther from the hotel, although it is right next to DCOM so at least you get a better idea of the area. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Would you mind commenting on what you thought of the pizza night specifically? I participate in that event fairly often, but I was thinking about suggesting that we change the location for next year. The service at Pizza Hut is pretty variable (every time at least one person gets the wrong order or doesn't get it at all), and oftentimes people are kinda confused as to what they can order ("should I get a whole pizza," etc). There is a decent Italian place right near the campus - you can actually see DCOM from the restaurant - it's pretty cheap, and there is a lot more selection. Only downside is it is a little farther from the hotel, although it is right next to DCOM so at least you get a better idea of the area. Thoughts?

I did not have any problems with pizza hut on the night that I was down there. That being said, if you feel like changing the location I think the Italian place you described sounds good. It would just be a good chance for prospective students to get an idea of exactly where the school is the night before, and it's not like it's 20 miles from the hotel, it's just down the road.

I had no real problem with the pizza hut thing, as they messed up my order and I got three free pizzas. That being said, in my opinion, I would much prefer a more local location. I spent a couple of days in the area before my interview and went to some local type places. To me, it gave me a better chance to meet local citizens and and get a better "feeling" for the area. Either way, it is a much appreciated way to get to know students and a get a feeling for the student body.

I had no real problem with the pizza hut thing, as they messed up my order and I got three free pizzas. That being said, in my opinion, I would much prefer a more local location. I spent a couple of days in the area before my interview and went to some local type places. To me, it gave me a better chance to meet local citizens and and get a better "feeling" for the area. Either way, it is a much appreciated way to get to know students and a get a feeling for the student body.

haha it's amazing how consistently something like that happens! I mean, they are always apologetic and offer food for free, etc-- but jeez-- 3 free pizzas lol.

There aren't a lot of "local" places around here unfortunately. There are a few, but many of them are smaller and have somewhat irregular hours. The Italian place I am thinking of is a franchise as well, but there is a little more local feel there since that is pretty much where everyone around here goes to eat. I donno, I gotta talk it over with the people here and see what they think.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually did not know they even messed it up. The waitress told me it was wrong and so they made me two more for some reason. It was sweet and I left a good tip.

haha it's amazing how consistently something like that happens! I mean, they are always apologetic and offer food for free, etc-- but jeez-- 3 free pizzas lol.

There aren't a lot of "local" places around here unfortunately. There are a few, but many of them are smaller and have somewhat irregular hours. The Italian place I am thinking of is a franchise as well, but there is a little more local feel there since that is pretty much where everyone around here goes to eat. I donno, I gotta talk it over with the people here and see what they think.

I've heard a lot of vegetarian friends complain that pizza hut is really terrible for friendly choices. I don't eat there often but I'm sure the healthy choices are equally limited. Just food for thought... pun intended. :D

I've heard a lot of vegetarian friends complain that pizza hut is really terrible for friendly choices. I don't eat there often but I'm sure the healthy choices are equally limited. Just food for thought... pun intended. :D

From what I saw at my interview the healthy choices were basically limited to the veggies you grew in your own garden! I liked the school alot but was amazed at how fast food/chain places dominate the culinary landscape down there.

From what I saw at my interview the healthy choices were basically limited to the veggies you grew in your own garden! I liked the school alot but was amazed at how fast food/chain places dominate the culinary landscape down there.

I assume you are talking about Middlesboro. Middlesboro is in a dry county, which means any national sit down restaraunt chain wont open anything up so yes fast food is the only option for the most part. Harrogate is in a semi-dry county, which also limits the national chains from opening up as well. I would learn to cook if you can't now.

MS-I Schedules:

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/oms1.shtml

And go here (http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/students/index.shtml) and click on "Credit Hours Spring 2012" to get an idea of credit hours per semester.
Credit hours tend to be around 29-32 per semester....bahahaha....still sounds ridiculous when I say it almost 2 years in. Most days you're in class/lab for around 6 hrs. That's an average though, so sometimes you have only 4, sometimes you have 8. And sometimes you randomly get a Friday off :)

Does this school have intramurals? Is there a workout facility? What do students there do for entertainment during their minimal amount of space time? How are the clinical rotations?
Intramurals- yes! And they rock. I don't participate myself, but I go watch and it gets pretty heated. My class implemented a Shuffleboard tournament as well, which occurs through the Surgery club. It's pretty intense...there's a plaque and everything lol.

Workout facility? It's ehhh on campus and at the Inn. But students make it work. I also recall mention of getting some basic equipment put in the building for students to use!!

Entertainment? It's alright but minimal of course. Cheap movie theater, a decent little car and few restaurants. I live in Knox and many people drive out here on weekends or post exam nights to enjoy better food and entertainment. It's really not that big of a deal since time is so limited. And actually, a lot of students throw parties, which end up being cheaper and more fun in my opinion sometimes.

Rotations? Can't speak to those just yet, but I can say I hear great things (for the most part) from upperclassmen. It's definitely a different type of experience than a lot of schools, so make sure you know what you're getting into before you come here. Ask around a lot, read on here, ask administration....we do more of a community hospital setting (unless you place at Knox or Memphis) and you do have to move after 2nd year unless you commute to Morristown, Knox, Greeneville, Norton, etc from Harrogate area. It requires flexibility and willingness for sure, but it seems to be doing the students well for the most part.

Sig others do play and it's awesome! You get to know families well this way and they often bring the kids out to support parents that are playing. I love this about this place :)

Our class only has 11 months of all the rotations being "set" for us....the rest are "selectives and electives." Selectives are "limited" to a list of thousands of docs in tons of specialties across the country, but still, lots of flexibility with them. Electives can be done nearly anywhere. We're getting 3 selectives, 2 electives for 3rd year. Then during 4th year, there are 6 free slots and from what I hear, we're getting 4 electives and only have to do 2 selectives. So that's 6 electives for sure, but even the selectives are quite open honestly.

I'm not going to DCOM, I actually don't even know if I got in yet but I really liked another school so I've decided to go there. I must say this though, everyone I met at DCOM loved the school, they all seemed genuinely happy. The staff also really impressed me. They made a real effort to get to know the students, I was even told that some of the deans/profs have students over for dinner/drinks in order to cultivate personal relationships you don't get in class. I also heard that the head dean teaches students how to BBQ. I thought this was really cool and LMU would be my second choice if I hadn't gotten into my first choice.

As long as you're cool with living in TN then I think its a great choice.
:thumbup: All of this is VERY true. I genuinely feel like the faculty care about me here. They do make such a concerted effort to get to know you personally. They are quite a social bunch. I really love that they make such an effort to support your club events outside of class hours. It means a lot!

Absolutely okay to bring them!

I don't see why not. We get a lot of people who bring significant others, etc. Kids aren't nearly as frequent but it's a very casual student-run event so I really don't think anyone would mind.

Originally pizza night was held at Oasis....did you mention going back there? I wasn't sure why they switched it to begin with. Gondolier would be alright I think and definitely offer more options for people. Plus it's more local to the area than Pizza Hut which is cool. Are you on the SOMA board next year? I think a mix up is definitely in order :)

Originally pizza night was held at Oasis....did you mention going back there? I wasn't sure why they switched it to begin with. Gondolier would be alright I think and definitely offer more options for people. Plus it's more local to the area than Pizza Hut which is cool. Are you on the SOMA board next year? I think a mix up is definitely in order :)

I was thinking Gondolier more than Oaisis, or perhaps the new Cracker Barrel? I'm not a SOMA officer but I was thinking about presenting the idea to them since I do a lot of the pizza nights. Just wanted to see what the recent applicant perspective was...

I enjoyed the pizza night when I went, because the med students on my day were super friendly/informative. They paid for our pizza (which I felt bad about...but they paid ahead of time and wouldn't let us chip in. Super nice gesture, but not necessary), so the ordering wasn't confusing, but it would have been otherwise. Ordering a whole pizza for one person is a little crazy. The Italian place sounds like a better idea to me for future meets. It's easier to order individiual meals and more variety.

I have been put in a dilemma with my application process that I would really like some help on..These were my original stats:

GPA ~ 3.85
sGPA ~ 3.95
MCAT ~ 23M

I had applied to several schools knowing that my MCAT (first time) was low hoping that my GPA would outshine the other. I retook the MCAT on Jan. 28th and got a 27M. Before I got my new score I had been invited for an interview at WCUCOM. I interviewed right after I got my new score, and the interview went very well. The same day the called to tell me I had been accepted, I got a call from LMUDCOM asking if I wanted to interview on April 3rd. The catch is that I have until March 23rd to accept the offer at WCUCOM. One thing I am more comfortable with about LMU is that it has graduated a class and seems to be doing very well. But interviewing April 3rd is pretty late. I feel like I am a good candidate, but it feels like a risky endeavor.

I did enjoy my experience at WCU and the faculty and students I met were very nice. I am just worried about the rantings of second year students on the WCUCOM forum and the fact that it has not graduated its first class. Its hard to know what is just stressed out med students and what is the school's shortcomings.

I have been put in a dilemma with my application process that I would really like some help on..These were my original stats:

GPA ~ 3.85
sGPA ~ 3.95
MCAT ~ 23M

I had applied to several schools knowing that my MCAT (first time) was low hoping that my GPA would outshine the other. I retook the MCAT on Jan. 28th and got a 27M. Before I got my new score I had been invited for an interview at WCUCOM. I interviewed right after I got my new score, and the interview went very well. The same day the called to tell me I had been accepted, I got a call from LMUDCOM asking if I wanted to interview on April 3rd. The catch is that I have until March 23rd to accept the offer at WCUCOM. One thing I am more comfortable with about LMU is that it has graduated a class and seems to be doing very well. But interviewing April 3rd is pretty late. I feel like I am a good candidate, but it feels like a risky endeavor.

I did enjoy my experience at WCU and the faculty and students I met were very nice. I am just worried about the rantings of second year students on the WCUCOM forum and the fact that it has not graduated its first class. Its hard to know what is just stressed out med students and what is the school's shortcomings.

This is the second time I have seen this question brought up here and I feel that a response from a current WCU student is in order.

It is true that some of our second years are stressed. It was calculated that they had over 200 more contact hours, hours in the class room, over their first two years, than any other osteopathic medical school. This is with an 80 % attendance policy. COCA told WCU to cut down on the contact hours to bring allow more student study time. (They also gave WCU a commendation on their clinical rotations before our first class has started them.) Accreditation will not be granted until the first class graduates and WCU has done everything that is possible to be accredited and is on tract to be accredited.

Our first class had it really rough but I remember hearing a little of the struggles of LMU's 1st class when I interviewed up there last spring. The majority of my class are happy with the quality of education we are receiving. Is it perfect? No Can it be better? Yes

BOTTOM LINE: Do not let the ranting and ravings of the discontented keep you from making a good decision for you. At this point LMU has enrolled 5 classes, and WCU only two. LMU is a great school with a lot to offer, but I also feel that way about WCU. Any questions,then pm me

"I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion"

Hi all,

I am very nervous, as LMU is my top choice school. Today I found out that my application was put on hold (did not have an interview yet). So it's not a rejection yet, but does anyone have experience on how a "hold" usually plays out? I am really looking forward to an interview.

My stats:
3.3 sgpa
3.5 overall gpa
23 mcat

Thank you very much.

This is the second time I have seen this question brought up here and I feel that a response from a current WCU student is in order.

It is true that some of our second years are stressed. It was calculated that they had over 200 more contact hours, hours in the class room, over their first two years, than any other osteopathic medical school. This is with an 80 % attendance policy. COCA told WCU to cut down on the contact hours to bring allow more student study time. (They also gave WCU a commendation on their clinical rotations before our first class has started them.) Accreditation will not be granted until the first class graduates and WCU has done everything that is possible to be accredited and is on tract to be accredited.

Our first class had it really rough but I remember hearing a little of the struggles of LMU's 1st class when I interviewed up there last spring. The majority of my class are happy with the quality of education we are receiving. Is it perfect? No Can it be better? Yes

BOTTOM LINE: Do not let the ranting and ravings of the discontented keep you from making a good decision for you. At this point LMU has enrolled 5 classes, and WCU only two. LMU is a great school with a lot to offer, but I also feel that way about WCU. Any questions,then pm me

Always good to hear that fellow new school is doing well. :)

Hi all,

I am very nervous, as LMU is my top choice school. Today I found out that my application was put on hold (did not have an interview yet). So it's not a rejection yet, but does anyone have experience on how a "hold" usually plays out? I am really looking forward to an interview.

My stats:
3.3 sgpa
3.5 overall gpa
23 mcat

Thank you very much.

How did you find out? Did they contact you or did you call them?

I was thinking Gondolier more than Oaisis, or perhaps the new Cracker Barrel? I'm not a SOMA officer but I was thinking about presenting the idea to them since I do a lot of the pizza nights. Just wanted to see what the recent applicant perspective was...
I think you definitely should pose the idea! As much as Pizza Hut could be straightforward with the individual ordering, Gondolier definitely has a HUGE menu with a little bit of everything for everyone.

GPA ~ 3.85
sGPA ~ 3.95
MCAT ~ 23M

With your stats, I think you have a great chance of being accepted, even in April. However, if I were you, and you can make it happen....I'd accept the seat at WCU, pay the deposit and just cut your losses if you get accepted to DCOM. And who knows, you might get to DCOM and not feel quite at home. It really is all about where you feel like you fit in the best honestly, since they are both definitely new programs. Having been in the boat of attending DCOM when it wasn't technically accredited yet, I understand your fears. But as I post in many other threads where concerns like this are being voiced, schools have to invest a LOT of time, money and effort into all this and it's not something they will take lightly. Unless they REALLY screw up, it is very unlikely that WCU won't get accredited.

And there will be ranters and ravers at every school, honestly! We have them here for sure. There will always be pros and cons anywhere you go for sure. And you are correct....the struggles that DCOM's first year class were definitely large from what I hear, but of course that is to be expected. I would say they have come miles and miles since then, just like WCU will hopefully do.

Is LMU still interviewing?
Hmm, yes, they're definitely still interviewing. Do you mean are there still open interview spots available? Based on the above post about an April 3rd interview invite, they are starting to fill the spots, but as far as I can remember, they had spots through early May. There has been some debate about that, though, so you'd have to ask admissions to be certain. I know in previous years they only went through late April.

It's a problem of economics. The median income in this area is about half the national (and statewide) average. Fast food chains perpetuate toward those areas. Thus, that's what you see.

What is the dress code like here?

From what I've gathered basically don't dress like a typical undergrad. No hooded sweatshirts, pants with holes in them, tshirts, or flip flops. Jeans, khakis, dress pants, polos, dress shirts, sweaters, nice short sleeved shirts, etc.

As I've been buying clothes since I got accepted I've just asked myself, "Would I wear this in to see a patient?" If the answer is no I don't get it.

After 5:00 it's whatever.

It's a problem of economics. The median income in this area is about half the national (and statewide) average. Fast food chains perpetuate toward those areas. Thus, that's what you see.

This is very true. I actually found this to be a good thing when I was living there because I ended up cooking alllll the time. It was healthier and cheaper in the long run. Plus, it makes those trips to Knoxville for dinner on post exam nights that much more enjoyable :)

From what I've gathered basically don't dress like a typical undergrad. No hooded sweatshirts, pants with holes in them, tshirts, or flip flops. Jeans, khakis, dress pants, polos, dress shirts, sweaters, nice short sleeved shirts, etc.

As I've been buying clothes since I got accepted I've just asked myself, "Would I wear this in to see a patient?" If the answer is no I don't get it.

After 5:00 it's whatever.
You're spot on with the dress code....guys get more limited I think. I, too, tended not to buy clothes before school that I didn't think I could wear in my patients encounters. However, don't overdo it like I did. Sometimes I look in my closet, longing for just a regular old outfit...and while a lot of my shirts can be worn with jeans, they're just more suited to dress pants in my opinion. So make sure to get stuff you can bum around in on the weekends while studying too :) Also, it's actually 4:30 that dress code stops being enforced....even better right??

have the match results for the class of 2012 been released yet? i'm really interested in seeing where people placed...

Woah, that is awesome, where did you get that?!

Friends in high places ;)

It's student self-reported so it's not all inclusive obviously. I'm sure DCOM will release prelim data this coming week for us to see.

It looks good at least geographically! There also seems to be an excellent blend of Primary and Specialty care. Yay :)

It's also nice to see that most people matched to their 1st choice. It would be awesome to get a comprehensive list of student reported data, since all we really get to see from the school is where/what they matched into, not if it was their 1st choice, etc.

It's also nice to see that most people matched to their 1st choice. It would be awesome to get a comprehensive list of student reported data, since all we really get to see from the school is where/what they matched into, not if it was their 1st choice, etc.

That seems to be a fairly good list thus far. And there are a ton of first choice! :cool:

I know about a half dozen others that aren't listed on there and all of them were first choices. I agree though - would love to see that kind of personal data.

I'm pumped to see the official placements!

Excellent job on snagging that Google maps residency marker-thing. It's great to see that many 1st choices. It seems like it's mostly AOA matched people or NMRP prematch people that responded on that, so I'll be excited to see the full list.

Excellent job on snagging that Google maps residency marker-thing. It's great to see that many 1st choices. It seems like it's mostly AOA matched people or NMRP prematch people that responded on that, so I'll be excited to see the full list.

Yeah I only counted in the 50's on there so there are quite a bit more to come.

Waitlisted :( Interviewed March 6th. Sounds like a lot from our group were waitlisted. Seems like they would be a little more generous considering all the additional seats this year...

Yeah, they have waitlisted a high number of people this year, including myself. There's a waitlist thread just for LMU that you should check out. (im on my phone otherwise I would copy and paste the link!)

I am still waiting to get an interview, as they said my application is on hold. My stats are 3 .6 undergrad and a 3.8 in my current MS grad program. Any insight into the likely hood or lack of a likely hood in getting an interview? Mrs. Mars told me to keep waiting with my fingers crossed. How are all your stats( the waitlisted folks). oh yea my mcat is a 22(weak)