LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's also nice to see that most people matched to their 1st choice. It would be awesome to get a comprehensive list of student reported data, since all we really get to see from the school is where/what they matched into, not if it was their 1st choice, etc.
Oh I am sure there will be a gigantic board on display in the lobby in no time...lol

Members don't see this ad.

Just to add on, too....I know of at least one other first choice peds placement in Memphis (that's a GREAT program!) and another one (specialty of which, I'm not sure) at the Cleveland Clinic. These are some impressive programs to be matching into for only being in the second year, people!

Two impressive ones I know of are EM at the Cleveland Clinic and Peds at University of Tennessee. Great to see all their work come to fruition! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, that residency map thing is awesome! :) Thanks for putting it up!

Secondly, for people who are deciding between LMU and other schools, pick LMU! jk! When I interviewed in early Feb, the thing that I noticed was that everyone seemed genuine and warm, and when I walked out of that interview, I really felt that I had connected with what was being asked in the interview questions. The school obviously looked great and has the small town feel. A REALLY small town feel lol. Obviously its not for everyone but I think improvements will continue, so by the time we get to rotations, it should be even better!

Two impressive ones I know of are EM at the Cleveland Clinic and Peds at University of Tennessee. Great to see all their work come to fruition! :thumbup:
These are the exact ones I was thinking of :) I had forgotten it was EM...and as far as I know there wasn't a 2nd peds placement at UT. We had so many first choice matches, at good programs and in good specialties, it's kind of crazy!!

These are the exact ones I was thinking of :) I had forgotten it was EM...and as far as I know there wasn't a 2nd peds placement at UT. We had so many first choice matches, at good programs and in good specialties, it's kind of crazy!!

Very impressive!!! I don't want a surgical field. But I am interested in pmnr,neuro,nephrology. Or primary care!!! So I should be fine or opthlo!!

Congrats to the 4th years at lmu!! We are proud of you all and you deserve it!!!

Does anybody know the A & P book that you use for MGA? Is any other material (i.e. netter flashcards, etc) recommended by the teacher or other students? I remember reading somewhere that the majority of your grade in that course comes from the Lab, is that the case and does the school publish a lab manual or do we buy that elsewhere?:thumbup:

Does anybody know the A & P book that you use for MGA? Is any other material (i.e. netter flashcards, etc) recommended by the teacher or other students? I remember reading somewhere that the majority of your grade in that course comes from the Lab, is that the case and does the school publish a lab manual or do we buy that elsewhere?:thumbup:

60% from 5 lab practicals, 40% from 5 written exams. No lab manuels, they have lab sheets you print off that has every structure your responsible for knowing for that particular lab. Don't know any A&P books, don't recall any physiology for MGA. I used Greys Anatomy and Netters Diagram Atlas and that was it. No flash cards or anything that I can recommend. I never used them. I will recommend to go to lab at least 4-5 days a week for an hour outside of required lab time or so and you'll do fine.

I am about to start looking for a place to live in harrogate or middlesboro. Any suggestions on which real estate agency to use?

When are the last interviews? I haven't heard anything about them for a while.

I am about to start looking for a place to live in harrogate or middlesboro. Any suggestions on which real estate agency to use?

Most of the agencies I contacted were pretty useless in terms of rentals. If you're looking to purchase I found The Realty Group to be pretty helpful. I'm sure you can Google ninja up their information.

The best source online for rentals and student owned real estate listings is: http://www.dcomdo.com/classifieds/browse-ads/

When are the last interviews? I haven't heard anything about them for a while.

I haven't heard anything official but someone either in here or on the FB group said they had a cookout for the students who commonly go to Pizza Night about the third week in April.

Someone from my undergrad got a call this past Friday and was offered an interview date of next Tuesday so they're definitely reviewing files still.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it take to hear back after you interview? I'm soo nervous bc Lmu blew me away. I love the school and the area so much!

How long does it take to hear back after you interview? I'm soo nervous bc Lmu blew me away. I love the school and the area so much!

It's hard to say. I heard in two days, but ive heard of it being two to three weeks. Best wishes to you though, as it really blew me away too. :love::luck:

Everyone is different. I got the call for an interview on Monday, interviewed on Wednesday, accepted on Friday. I left for Fall Break not having heard from any schools and came back a med student. My professors were like :eek:

My app got tabled so it ended up taking me 3 weeks (I'm on the opposite side of the US so that would explain the delay in getting a letter)

There was a bit of resource overload for MGA because people seem to prefer different things. The only really required book you will need is the Grey's dissector. The lab portion will follow that fairly closely. I believe the book list also includes Netter's atlas and the Grey's textbook, but you can pick and choose what you prefer. I liked using a combination of Netter and a different atlas by Rosen that had real cadaver pics (not drawings). Other people preferred the textbook, online resources, flashcards, the dissector program we get, another atlas, or whatever. If you are going to get Netters (you probably should), wait till you come to school because SOMA includes a Netter book with their membership fees. I believe the grade distribution was 70/30 lecture/lab.

There was a bit of resource overload for MGA because people seem to prefer different things. The only really required book you will need is the Grey's dissector. The lab portion will follow that fairly closely. I believe the book list also includes Netter's atlas and the Grey's textbook, but you can pick and choose what you prefer. I liked using a combination of Netter and a different atlas by Rosen that had real cadaver pics (not drawings). Other people preferred the textbook, online resources, flashcards, the dissector program we get, another atlas, or whatever. If you are going to get Netters (you probably should), wait till you come to school because SOMA includes a Netter book with their membership fees. I believe the grade distribution was 70/30 lecture/lab.

I love Rohen :love:

When do we get our school emails? Also when will we hear about our financial aid?

It was good to meet all you interviewees yesterday! If anyone has any other questions, just let me know :)

Overall I can say I'm impressed with the placement. What I'm even more excited to see is the placement at major facilities around Chicago :)

I was excited about the Chicago placements as well. It's a hard place in Medicine.

Got my acceptance letter today! Looking forward to meeting you all in the Fall!

After an interview, LMU-DCOM sends a letter whether accepted or rejected, correct? Had my interview last week and am waiting for my letter!

After an interview, LMU-DCOM sends a letter whether accepted or rejected, correct? Had my interview last week and am waiting for my letter!

Yep! My friend interviewed there last week and got their letter today. Hopefully yours gets to you soon!

Did you initially get waitlisted?

I'm not sure if this was directed to me, but no, I did not get wait listed initially. I received a call from the dean a week after my interview and got my letter a few days later :)

how is LMUs relationship with the other tennessee MD schools...

is the memphis hospital from the UTC program?

and im guessing theres no nashville connctions...yet...

thanks

thanks

Memphis is the ut school. Rotations in Chatt Knox and Martin

This thread has been rather slow lately. Anyone from the recent interviews hear any exciting news? :)

thanks

Memphis is the ut school. Rotations in Chatt Knox and Martin
And just to clarify, tenndoc is referring to where UT's rotations are....we do have a site in Knox though currently. Also Memphis is our other big city site. The Memphis site is mainly in Methodist, but I believe they get to go into a couple other hospitals too? Not sure though. And I'm not sure if that is the hospital UT puts their students in....

DCOM's relationship with other schools thus far seems good. I have heard of no issues at least. I imagine our Kingsport rotation site probably mixes quite a bit with the ETSU students and again, no issues from what I've heard.

As for Nashville, I have to say I am sad that I am missing this by one year....our clinical director told me that we have a rotation site in the works in Franklin, just outside Nashville. So of course, this isn't going to be at Vanderbilt. But location wise, it's pretty sweet. My rotation site is a new one starting this summer (Hopkinsville) and it's only about an hour and 15 min outside Nashville, up in KY. I chose it partially for that reason :)

ok this might be a stupid question but when writing a letter of intent..for this school...who do i address it to? Dear who?

(Semi) off-topic:

Since the school's daily dress code is "business casual", what does that mean for us females? No jeans but rather dressier slacks? Or would dark denim be OK? Thanks in advance!

Ive heard jeans are ok
Sweater is ok
No t shirt
Or hoody

The first couple weeks everyone will overdue it.. some guys will wear suits, girls will get all dressed up etc... but jeans/khakis/slacks and a collared shirt will do just fine. Overdress if you're not sure and you can fine tune your wardrobe from there.

Last edited:
(Semi) off-topic:

Since the school's daily dress code is "business casual", what does that mean for us females? No jeans but rather dressier slacks? Or would dark denim be OK? Thanks in advance!

Couple people have said shorts and a polo are OK in the warmer months.

ok this might be a stupid question but when writing a letter of intent..for this school...who do i address it to? Dear who?

The person or person(s) who accept you... therefore, "Dear Admissions Committee:"

ive already sent in one letter of intent about a month and a half ago. should i send an update letter that includes my final grades and my completed degree status

ive already sent in one letter of intent about a month and a half ago. should i send an update letter that includes my final grades and my completed degree status

I don't know if it will help you but it certainly will not hurt you so there's no harm in doing so! Go for it and just write a brief, personal, handwritten note to Ms. Martin that if given the opportunity to attend you would do so.