LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have any clue when the deposit will be due this year?

Or atleast, how quickly was the deposit to be submitted last year for people who got accepted in September and October?

Hey DrMaximus,

They told us at our interview last week that the deposit would be due by December 14th. I hope we hear some good news this week!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey DrMaximus,

They told us at our interview last week that the deposit would be due by December 14th. I hope we hear some good news this week!! :)

Ah, that's great news. Thank you, I appreciate it and good luck on hearing back!!! :D

I'm pretty dang nervous, not gonna lie... :scared:

Ah, that's great news. Thank you, I appreciate it and good luck on hearing back!!! :D

I'm pretty dang nervous, not gonna lie... :scared:

You're welcome, and thanks! Don't worry! I am, too! I'm dying to find out. When is your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tuesday. :xf: I'm going up there tonight, though.

Good luck!! Most people had really laid back interviews. I had Dr. Williamson, and he asked a few ethical questions that caught me a little off guard. Thank God, I was able to come up with some good answers out of nowhere. Be prepared for that if, by some chance, you get him Tuesday. Also, definitely go to the pizza night! I had a lot of fun, and all the med students were just so nice and welcoming. :)

Good luck!! Most people had really laid back interviews. I had Dr. Williamson, and he asked a few ethical questions that caught me a little off guard. Thank God, I was able to come up with some good answers out of nowhere. Be prepared for that if, by some chance, you get him Tuesday. Also, definitely go to the pizza night! I had a lot of fun, and all the med students were just so nice and welcoming. :)

Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully I can come up with something off of the top of my head. :D

I can't wait to head up there this afternoon. I can't even focus on my classes... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up! Hopefully I can come up with something off of the top of my head. :D

I can't wait to head up there this afternoon. I can't even focus on my classes... :rolleyes:

Take your time and enjoy the drive! Cumberland Gap is beautiful!

Anybody else from the first week heard anything? I wishe they hadn't said about the possible phone call because I am going out of my mind with anticipation. I feel like every hour that goes by means that everyone else has gotten calls and I am left to wait on a denial letter.

Got my letter in the mail today!!! Accepted to LMU-DCOM Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!! Best day ever!!!!!!!! :D:soexcited:

No phone call yet, but received my acceptance letter today in the mail!!! :) VERY VERY excited!

No phone call yet, but received my acceptance letter today in the mail!!! :) VERY VERY excited!

Yeah, I didn't get a phone call either. I'm guessing the dean is away right now, but I received my letter today, too!! Congrats!! I'm so excited for us!!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations. It's a very good feeling!

Got my letter in the mail today!!! Accepted to LMU-DCOM Class of 2016!!!!!!!!!!!! Best day ever!!!!!!!! :D:soexcited:

Congrats guys!!!! That has got to an awesome feeling. You're going to be doctors :) I'm surprised no phone call, but its great news that they seem to be giving quick decisions. Those must have gone out in the mail at least 2 days ago. Congrats again!!

Awesome feeling! Received my letter today and like previously mentioned I guess Dr. Stowers is out of town. We have until Dec 14 to pay are $1250 deposit to hold our spot. My stress is over now! I still have 2 interviews that I plan on taking just where I won't ever wonder what it would have been like somewhere else, but DCOM is probably the school for me. Congrats to everyone else that was accepted!

To everyone else waiting for an interview, Good Luck!

I got my letter today. I am admitted for the class of 2016!!!! Man that was the longest work day ever waiting to get home.

The other years classes have had a forum on here where everyone that got admitted introduced themselves. Is there already one of those? If not, lets start 1.

I think they do interviews on Tuesday and Wednesday. Mine was Tuesday, September 13th, and I got my acceptance today!

Were you the one that had her car hit in the parking lot? It would make the trip down here worth it I suppose.

I got my letter today. I am admitted for the class of 2016!!!! Man that was the longest work day ever waiting to get home.

The other years classes have had a forum on here where everyone that got admitted introduced themselves. Is there already one of those? If not, lets start 1.

I searched and didn't find one yet for our class, so I started one. If you get admitted for the class of 2016 hop on over and introduce yourself. I am not sure how to link threads. If someone else knows how and finds it then please do so. To go the "long way" it is in the forums for current med students under osteopathic and then LMU-DCOM class of 2016. Or I guess you could just search that title.

Congratulations Student Doctors! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The stress is over and you can enjoy the holidays and Spring before the real fun begins!

Interview days are typically on Monday and Tuesday - the committee meets on Thursday. That's the way it was last cycle anyway.

Again, congratulations! I'll be right behind you! :luck:

Oh, also, for those who didn't get a letter - don't panic yet. It looks like the ones who got theirs today are all pretty close to LMU. It might take USPS a day or two longer to get to you! Same thing happened last year.

Awesome feeling! Received my letter today and like previously mentioned I guess Dr. Stowers is out of town. We have until Dec 14 to pay are $1250 deposit to hold our spot. My stress is over now! I still have 2 interviews that I plan on taking just where I won't ever wonder what it would have been like somewhere else, but DCOM is probably the school for me. Congrats to everyone else that was accepted!

If money is no issue that's a good plan. Someone posted on another thread and said they ranked their schools 1-5 and got accepted at their #1 first. After interviewing at a few others, they ended up going to the school they had ranked #4 in the end! You never know!

Congratulations Student Doctors! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

The stress is over and you can enjoy the holidays and Spring before the real fun begins!

Interview days are typically on Monday and Tuesday - the committee meets on Thursday. That's the way it was last cycle anyway.

Again, congratulations! I'll be right behind you! :luck:

I believe this year interviews are on Tue and Wed. Unless I am going to be by myself in two days. :D

Congrats guys, I hope I hear back as fast as you have.

I believe this year interviews are on Tue and Wed. Unless I am going to be by myself in two days. :D

Congrats guys, I hope I hear back as fast as you have.

They're just rolling out the red carpet for you! :laugh: It may very well have changed - it seems like a lot has changed thus far in the process this year.

So I'm interviewing on 9/21 and getting ready for the interview. I imagine there will be a "why LMU" question. What are some great things about LMU?

accepted as well!!!!! ahhhhh :love:

Wow, guys, that has to be a great feeling. :D

I'm waking up at 6am tomorrow to get ready to do my interview. Chilling at the Holiday Inn right now... Wish me luck!

And congrats you all!!! :thumbup:

Were you the one that had her car hit in the parking lot? It would make the trip down here worth it I suppose.

Haha yep. That was me! Ahh accidents happen. Everyone was safe, and I got in! Life is great! :)

I'm waking up at 6am tomorrow to get ready to do my interview. Chilling at the Holiday Inn right now... Wish me luck!

Good luck!!! I know you all will do great tomorrow! It was really nice meeting you guys tonight. Get some rest :)

Thanks, DrMaximus! Good luck to you!! Everyone at LMU was very nice and welcoming. Beautiful campus and very nice facilities! Oh, and just wait until you meet Bob! You will meet him tomorrow, and he's the sweetest person on the planet. He told us he prayed for each and every one of us by name. I almost started crying right there before the interview! He's great!

Congrats guys!!!! That has got to an awesome feeling. You're going to be doctors :) I'm surprised no phone call, but its great news that they seem to be giving quick decisions. Those must have gone out in the mail at least 2 days ago. Congrats again!!

Thanks! How is everything coming along for you? :) I would love to see everyone in this thread get in!

My file was complete on Sept. 6

Still waiting to hear about an interview...

My file was complete on Sept. 6

Still waiting to hear about an interview...

No worries, I was complete a few weeks before that. Just spoke with Robin today and there are a lot of spots in October. :thumbup:

Holy moly I should check the forums more often....something about 7 weeks straight of cardio will do that to you though!! So here goes nothing...

as for pros/cons, i really did want more control over scheduling when i first applied - since i'm from out of state, i wanted the chance to move around; the relative freedom of rotations is what basically convinced me to drop other schools as options.

...however, now i'm realizing that i have *no* idea what field i want to go into, and for practical reasons ($$$$$), i'm pretty much sticking to my core site for most of rotations for third year. so, having to schedule my own rotations (with the rotation coordinator's help, of course) is sort of a bigger pain than a benefit this year.

...that said, i AM excited to be able to head wherever i want fourth year. between ~june - dec, depending on whom you talk to, it's pretty convenient to get a chance to rotate through a site you might be interested in, and DCOM's rotation system allows you to (in theory) rotate somewhere you want to interview at, killing two birds with one big, big stone. i'm keeping my fingers crossed it actually works out for me that way, and that i'll have a better idea of where and what program i want to call home during residency. of course, all that requires that you're prepared to live out of a suitcase for a few months, or that you're pretty set on a particular program.

hope that helped - it's more relevant for 2nd years, but it is info you might want to consider while you still have the choice to attend or not :)
This did help a great deal for me...I'm also totally lost on a specialty, so the freedom is highly appealing. Keep us posted as you get through rotations and have more advice!!

Invite. See you guys there!!!!:hungover:
Um alright, so I had no idea you were already invited and had already interviewed!!! I would say congrats, but I'm too sad that you didn't tell me!! I kid, I kid. CONGRATS!!! I know others were receiving notice about the 13th, so hopefully you'll know soon! When you're invited this early, it's almost a done deal :D

Thanks for the quick feedback. Interesting, I didn't realize DCOM doesn't require a DO letter. Maybe this is a change from past years.
Well others already told you, yes, this is a change from previous years. But more importantly, you're applying this year?!? With all the years of posts here, I was beginning to wonder when this time would come! You definitely need to let me know when you interview (yes when, not if!) so I can say hi!

Can anyone tell me how scheduling third and fourth year rotations work here at DCOM? Is it just a lottery or can you actually choose?

As in if I wanted to do most of my rotations in the Knoxville core area, would that be possible?

Just curious.
It is a lottery system and you rank 50 schedules in order of preference, with the variety coming from various sites as well as different orders of schedule (for ex IM/peds/obgyn/IM/family med/psych/surg vs. surg/peds/obgyn/IM/IM/psych/family med). Knoxville is currently a core site and you would just want to rank all possible Knox schedules first before any other sites to try to ensure being placed there. That doesn't necessarily mean you'll get it, but they have in the past allowed switching if people were willing to give up their placement at certain sites. Be warned, though... anything and everything is subject to change. Basically, don't bank on anything being exactly as it is when you get to it....this applies here or to any school in my opinion. It's just easier to prepare yourself that things may change just in case so that if it happens, you're not so stressed about it.

Does anyone else feel like they are boasting in the supplemental application questions? I am typing up an answer for the first one and feel like I am just bragging away... :/
I always felt this way too, so I feel like I can offer some advice. First, make sure your issues with "bragging" are strictly due to your humility and not underlying insecurities. Insecurities are the number one thing that will keep you from being accepted. With that said, it is possible to feel the way you do and still market yourself. I really struggled with it as well, but just practice. It sounds dumb, but practice answer interview questions where you have to boast a little. Remember, DCOM's interviews are closed file, so unless you tell them all the awesome things about yourself, they'll never know!

I just received an interview invite by phone!! This is my first interview invite and I am definitely excited. I just recently completed most of my secondaries in the 8/31-9/1 time frame.

They are also working with me to get me an interview quickly because I am active duty military and have orders that I can't miss from October through November. My interview is for September 28.

cGPA 3.2, sGPA 3.3, MCAT 28 O.

EC's - 9 years patient care experience
Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor
Basic Life Support Instructor
EKG Instructor
Sailor of the Year
4 years active duty service (Hospital Corpsman)
and lots more

Thank you LMU for begin so military friendly!!!
DCOM has lots of military students and people of military background! You will not be alone. We have a club too for those interested in it...it's called SAMOPS.

If accepted, how soon do you have to give them the $1,250 deposit/matriculation fee?
As the year goes on, the amount of time you have to get the deposit decreases. Right now I think they give you til Dec or so. Even so, if you have financial concerns with it, just email Janette. They allowed me to pay it in 4 installments when it was $2000.

We haven't had him much, but Dr. Williamson is great! I had no idea he was interviewing this year! Just in case others get him, he is an Ob/Gyn and heads up the medical mission trips to Haiti each year!

Haha yep. That was me! Ahh accidents happen. Everyone was safe, and I got in! Life is great! :)
And now you have a great story to tell....mine just so happened to be that I forgot my suit and borrowed someone's extra one. YEAH. But I have to ask....was it one of my classmates that hit you??

Thanks, DrMaximus! Good luck to you!! Everyone at LMU was very nice and welcoming. Beautiful campus and very nice facilities! Oh, and just wait until you meet Bob! You will meet him tomorrow, and he's the sweetest person on the planet. He told us he prayed for each and every one of us by name. I almost started crying right there before the interview! He's great!
Bob is the absolute best....trust me when I say his kindness will continue on even past that moment.

CONGRATS to all the newly accepted future doctors!!! DCOM is an amazing school. I don't get on here nearly as often as I'd like, but I receive notifications when people PM me, so if you have specific questions please don't hesitate to shoot me a message. I might take a couple days to get back to you because of how hectic school is, but I promise I will respond!

Good luck to all the future interviewees!

Just flew back to San Diego from my interview. Anyways, LMU-DCOM is incredible!!

I went in with average expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. Technology is phenomenal, the new science building looks as big as Heart's Castle, faculty was awesome, and their match rates from last year were second only to MSU-COM.

Also, the Dean (Dr. Stowers) just got elected as the President of the AOA which is going to give LMU-DCOM some serious recognition.

For you single guys out there, I was surprised to learn (along with the surprised look of the other male interviewees) that the undergrad population is like 70% female, although from what we were told, they hardly interact with the undergrads regardless. We just ate lunch with them in the cafeteria because of the tour.

Anyways, "Museic" and "DrMaximus" it was a pleasure meeting you guys and interviewing today. Hope to see you guys in the Fall!

Thanks! How is everything coming along for you? :) I would love to see everyone in this thread get in!

Aw thanks, me too. I interview next Wednesday, so fingers crossed I get as lucky as you did :)

Holy moly I should check the forums more often....something about 7 weeks straight of cardio will do that to you though!! So here goes nothing...

Um alright, so I had no idea you were already invited and had already interviewed!!! I would say congrats, but I'm too sad that you didn't tell me!! I kid, I kid. CONGRATS!!! I know others were receiving notice about the 13th, so hopefully you'll know soon! When you're invited this early, it's almost a done deal :D
He actually got into LECOM-E and has chosen to go there, so he cancelled his DCOM interview.

And now you have a great story to tell....mine just so happened to be that I forgot my suit and borrowed someone's extra one. YEAH. But I have to ask....was it one of my classmates that hit you??

Bob is the absolute best....trust me when I say his kindness will continue on even past that moment.

CONGRATS to all the newly accepted future doctors!!! DCOM is an amazing school. I don't get on here nearly as often as I'd like, but I receive notifications when people PM me, so if you have specific questions please don't hesitate to shoot me a message. I might take a couple days to get back to you because of how hectic school is, but I promise I will respond!

Good luck to all the future interviewees!

It was a lady who said she was married to one of the 4th years at LMU. She was really freaked about it, but I told her it was okay. No one was hurt, and accidents happen. I tried to not let it spook me before my interview lol.

And yes! I just loved Bob. He was just the sweetest!!

I'm really excited to be accepted here already! This has been my first acceptance so far. I loved both the facilities and the people! Such an amazing school!!

Just flew back to San Diego from my interview. Anyways, LMU-DCOM is incredible!!

I went in with average expectations and was very pleasantly surprised. Technology is phenomenal, the new science building looks as big as Heart's Castle, faculty was awesome, and their match rates from last year were second only to MSU-COM.

Also, the Dean (Dr. Stowers) just got elected as the President of the AOA which is going to give LMU-DCOM some serious recognition.

For you single guys out there, I was surprised to learn (along with the surprised look of the other male interviewees) that the undergrad population is like 70% female, although from what we were told, they hardly interact with the undergrads regardless. We just ate lunch with them in the cafeteria because of the tour.

Anyways, "Museic" and "DrMaximus" it was a pleasure meeting you guys and interviewing today. Hope to see you guys in the Fall!

Yes sir! Awesome facilities. I was blown away by what DCOM has to offer. The only major drawback is finding housing and being in the middle of no where. They made a great argument about there rotations, which are organized and established. Essentially they said that there is not much if anything between your spot and the attending. Implying that their students get a serious amount of direct pt contact. I honestly feel that this school, despite being new, is quickly on its way up and the education you will receive is second to none. They also could back this talk up with past individual stories and their match rate. Great school, lots of money at their disposal...don't let the lack of history influence you.

Yes sir! Awesome facilities. I was blown away by what DCOM has to offer. The only major drawback is finding housing and being in the middle of no where. They made a great argument about there rotations, which are organized and established. Essentially they said that there is not much if anything between your spot and the attending. Implying that their students get a serious amount of direct pt contact. I honestly feel that this school, despite being new, is quickly on its way up and the education you will receive is second to none. They also could back this talk up with past individual stories and their match rate. Great school, lots of money at their disposal...don't let the lack of history influence you.

I completely agree with this. It is a tremendous school. And with the new building going up, it's only getting better. I'm really hoping for an acceptance here.

Yes sir! Awesome facilities. I was blown away by what DCOM has to offer. The only major drawback is finding housing and being in the middle of no where. They made a great argument about there rotations, which are organized and established.

-While it is true that the school is kind've in the middle of nowhere, it definitely is not hard to find housing. There were more than enough postings in the spring of 2nd years who were moving for rotations and their houses were for rent, or from the landlords themselves. It is a little disconcerting because you have to wait until late April/May for most of them to start popping up, but it definitely was NOT hard to find a place I liked. Also, like I said at the pizza night...I like the "middle of nowhere" stuff because I am easily distracted...so it can be a good thing for some. But definitely don't worry about housing!

Interviewed here, the area is beautiful. The campus and facilities are nice and the faculty were friendly and helpful. I think it being the middle of nowhere can either be a pro or con depending on what you're looking for.

My main concern with this school is about the board exams (COMLEX). After talking to a few people I was told the board pass rates/scores of DCOM students were around the national average but no specifics were given. I pushed for it and got the exact number from faculty. First time pass rate at DCOM is 83.4% and average scores were 491 (nat. average is 500). This is a bit lower than I hoped for, as that is almost 1/5 students struggling with the boards. Does anyone know what the school does for students who don't pass?

Last edited:
My opinion about pass rates and class averages are that they are insignificant. Having been through dental school and taken NDEB 1 and 2 and the Canadian NDB, I can honestly say that the school I attended had little to do with my performance. There are board specific prep material that will help you for the exam.

My dental school was below the national average on the both parts 1 and 2 and I was able to score in the 90%ile by studying board specific material.

Interviewed here, the area is beautiful. The campus and facilities are nice and the faculty were friendly and helpful. I think it being the middle of nowhere can either be a pro or con depending on what you're looking for.

My main concern with this school is about the board exams (COMLEX). After talking to a few people I was told the board pass rates/scores of DCOM students were around the national average but no specifics were given. I pushed harder and finally got the exact number from faculty. First time pass rate at DCOM is 83.4% and average scores were 491 (nat. average is 500). This is a bit lower than I hoped for, as that is almost 1/5 students struggling with the boards. Does anyone know what the school does for students who don't pass? I didn't really get a clear answer.

•Program Highlights (continued)
–DCOM Class of 2011 Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX) results as of May 31, 2011
•COMLEX Level 2 CE: 96.9% of students passed; all remaining students except one are currently scheduled to take the exam
•COMLEX Level 2 PE: 91.5% of students passed; all remaining students are awaiting scores or are currently scheduled to take the exam
•COMLEX Level 1: 94.7% of students passed
–LMU-DCOM outpatient services provided health care to 4,800 patients

just c/pd that from a powerpoint directly from dcom. just google "Debusk com comlex pass rate" and you should find it. doesn't specify first time pass rate but they had the second highest match rate so they must be doing something right.

Program Highlights (continued)
–DCOM Class of 2011 Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Licensing Examination (COMLEX) results as of May 31, 2011
COMLEX Level 2 CE: 96.9% of students passed; all remaining students except one are currently scheduled to take the exam
COMLEX Level 2 PE: 91.5% of students passed; all remaining students are awaiting scores or are currently scheduled to take the exam
COMLEX Level 1: 94.7% of students passed
–LMU-DCOM outpatient services provided health care to 4,800 patients

just c/pd that from a powerpoint directly from dcom. just google "Debusk com comlex pass rate" and you should find it. doesn't specify first time pass rate but they had the second highest match rate so they must be doing something right.

^ I like these numbers. I assume they are total pass rates (including multiple attempts). The numbers I was told came from Dr. Seaman and current students. I am still curious about what LMU does for students who don't pass.

^ I like these numbers. I assume they are total pass rates (including multiple attempts). The numbers I was told came from Dr. Seaman and current students. I am still curious about what LMU does for students who don't pass.

Well it says most if them are rescheduled. But I'm with you. I am kind if curious what they do if you can't pass.

However their new curriculum style this incoming year sounds like it might help address boards better as well.

You should field that question to Dr. Leo, I'm sure he would have an answer for you.

Also, it's important to remember, med schools prepare you for the boards the same way that undergrads prepare you for the MCAT. The material is presented in various fashions but the responsibility lies with the student to learn the format and master the material.

Does anyone else feel that board passage rates are more an indicator of the quality of students vs. quality of the curriculum/school? I've pondered this a lot and I always seem to end up falling somewhere in the middle.

With that said, I have never in all my dealings with DCOM students heard major concerns over boards. It seems like they do what they need to do and, as with any new program, are evolving to find the best fit for the school. The numbers that museic posted are more aligned with what I had been told.