LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im 21 too!!! (and ive already graduated hahaha) LMU overall seemed to have younger interviewees...at NSU i felt like everyone was a lot older than me

Really? My crowd was older when I was there. Everyone was over 25 except two of us I'm pretty sure.

Nice to see someone else in the age group though!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Well I will be 30 next month, but I still act like im 13, lol. Looks like it will be a diverse bunch of students.

Ohh, dang....wait a minute, its october........i am 30 this month (my twenties are gone, lol) and it looks like ill be spending my thirties in med school and residency.....forties here I come!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohh, dang....wait a minute, its october........i am 30 this month (my twenties are gone, lol) and it looks like ill be spending my thirties in med school and residency.....forties here I come!

No worries man, we just chose to take the scenic route :cool:

5pm and either I had no mail today or the post still hasn't arrived. I wasn't really expecting a letter today (considering they probably only went out this morning), but still disappointing. The anxiety is killing me!

Don't worry, I'm graduating at 40 and residency by 43 :/. I'll be matriculating next fall at 36.

Don't worry, I'm graduating at 40 and residency by 43 :/. I'll be matriculating next fall at 36.

You should not worry either. I will be matriculating at 40. A new decade a new era in my life. 40 is the new 30 anyway. :laugh:

You should not worry either. I will be matriculating at 40. A new decade a new era in my life. 40 is the new 30 anyway. :laugh:

I worked at a tech support call center for a brief period right after high school and I remember a lady calling in who was 60+ years old and a computer science student at a university. She had been a nurse for 40 years and decided to retire and try something new. As silly as it sounds I've always remembered that. It's never too late! :thumbup:

I worked at a tech support call center for a brief period right after high school and I remember a lady calling in who was 60+ years old and a computer science student at a university. She had been a nurse for 40 years and decided to retire and try something new. As silly as it sounds I've always remembered that. It's never too late! :thumbup:

Hey, I saw your app got verified today. I am definately rooting for you. You have give solid, and uplifting advice to everyone on the LMU-DCOM forum. :thumbup:

You should field that question to Dr. Leo, I'm sure he would have an answer for you.

Also, it's important to remember, med schools prepare you for the boards the same way that undergrads prepare you for the MCAT. The material is presented in various fashions but the responsibility lies with the student to learn the format and master the material.

Does anyone else feel that board passage rates are more an indicator of the quality of students vs. quality of the curriculum/school? I've pondered this a lot and I always seem to end up falling somewhere in the middle.

With that said, I have never in all my dealings with DCOM students heard major concerns over boards. It seems like they do what they need to do and, as with any new program, are evolving to find the best fit for the school. The numbers that museic posted are more aligned with what I had been told.
These words above are KEY. The sooner you realize the school does not dictate board scores, the better off you'll be. Your education is what you make of it, but I have to say, I think we have some of the best faculty around. Their willingness to help you, with open door policies around the clock, and genuine sincerity in their offers to help truly can't be matched in my opinion. Do other schools probably have some of that as well? Of course....but the long and short of it is please please please don't make your med school decision over match lists and board pass rates. Unless a school tells you 50% pass the boards and most of the class scrambles, there's really nothing to stress over. If you want an absurdly amazing board score and you want to match derm at Harvard, YOU will be the one that makes that happen and DCOM will not be what stops you I assure you.

Well it says most if them are rescheduled. But I'm with you. I am kind if curious what they do if you can't pass.

However their new curriculum style this incoming year sounds like it might help address boards better as well.
I don't know everyone of course, but the ones I have heard of that didn't pass the first go around tend to do a review course- PASS program seems fairly popular. Again, I can't keep up with everyone, but from what I hear, most people end up passing the 2nd go. People that don't make it through the program, from what I've gathered, don't leave because they can't pass. It should be noted, though, that if you don't pass your step 1, you must retake and pass before you can start your rotations now. This is a change as of this past year (c/o 2013). But there doesn't seem to be an issue with continuing on once you get your passing scores.

I know at our interview day (the 21st) the admissions people seemed to really doubt that Dean Stowers would be making the calls this year. So it will probably be snail mall on Wednesday....:xf:
With Doc Stowers being president elect of AOA, it's unlikely he'll make tons of phone calls this year. He's quite the busy man I assure you. Some might not like the idea of his being AOA president next year, but honestly, your dean is important but not a part of your day to day life at school. It's pretty exciting to have him carry this title and future title in my opinion!!

Good luck :) I'm sure you'll get good news!

Anyone else going to the pizza night tomorrow night (Tues, 9/27)? I'm leaving class early to try and make it on time (I like 5+ hrs away). Starting to get a little nervous about the interview. Hopefully I don't bomb it...
Wait! Did I meet you at the lunch on Wednesday then?? I was the female second year that did lunch with you guys!

Yes there is international opportunities available. They are expanding a trip to Haiti to make it larger and you can also setup international rotations for your third and fourth year. There are other opportunities as well. DCOM also holds a Remote Area Medical event that provides a mass clinic for local patients in the U.S. - it's a very missionary medicine style setup.

In comparison to a school like VCOM, who takes numerous international trips, they are not as vast and broad but they are available.

The COMLEX rates were posted a page or two back on this thread.
I'm an officer in the international medicine society here at DCOM and I can vouch for the fact that while opportunities are limited currently for major trips, there's definitely stuff going on in that area. The spring break trip for Haiti has been pretty consistent and they added on a winter break trip this year as well, through the SOMA group here. Also, as students set up rotations abroad, more and more opportunities will be available to future students where these connections have been made....for example, DCOM should now solidly have a connection for a pretty amazing OMM rotation in New Zealand thanks to 2 members of the inaugural class. The basic gist here is that if you want to do it, you can make it happen! I like this aspect of DCOM because it's not as though all opportunities are already all set up and you just go and do it....instead, they will help you/give you approval for almost anything you get set up it seems, with exceptions of course.

I've been complete since mid-August and have yet to hear anything from LMU. I'm pretty sure I'm a competitive applicant, so not sure what happened. +pity+ Oh well. I guess this just goes to show you that nothing ever goes as planned. :luck:
Not to make an example of your unfortunate situation (though it seems you will get in somewhere if you truly are competitive!), but this really does back up that DCOM tends to accept students not based strictly on numbers. I am certainly a poster child for this, as are many of my very successful classmates. I've heard some pretty crazy (not good) stats about people, but they are some of the best performing people in the class, so long story short- don't give up if you want to go here. If you are a good fit, you have a good shot at getting in here!

Don't you guys just love how GraceEuphoria pops in occasionally and provides ridiculously in-depth insight? Thank you!

corpsman33 said:
Hey, I saw your app got verified today. I am definately rooting for you. You have give solid, and uplifting advice to everyone on the LMU-DCOM forum. :thumbup:

Thanks man - I'm hoping for the best and ready to get this over with before winter break so I can relax. I need it terribly. I haven't been stressed out about the application process very much but the time commitment to do it right has been pretty remarkable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any SDN'ers interviewing tomorrow? I'll be at the pizza night tonight....

Any SDN'ers interviewing tomorrow? I'll be at the pizza night tonight....

I already went, but thanks for volunteering your time. This helped set LMU-DCOM apart from some of the other schools.

I already went, but thanks for volunteering your time. This helped set LMU-DCOM apart from some of the other schools.

Yeah I remember feeling the same way when I went through the process last year. Don't give me too much credit for volunteering my time-- I also love Pizza Hut! haha

Hey guys! Ive been a long time reader and I literally just got my MCAT score from the 9/1 test. 27M with a SCI 3.59 Non-SCI 3.71 CUM 3.64. Sending in all my secondaries tomorrow. What do you guys think about my chances?
Thanks!!

Just got the call from Dr. Stowers =))) (Giddiness)

My interviewers were incredibly pokerfaced...I couldn't tell. lol
yayyy!!!!

yayyy!!!!

Nice, congratulations! I expect posts on here to be filtering in one by one and I expect screams of excitement to be heard all across the eastern seaboard... if not beyond! :laugh:

Hey guys! Ive been a long time reader and I literally just got my MCAT score from the 9/1 test. 27M with a SCI 3.59 Non-SCI 3.71 CUM 3.64. Sending in all my secondaries tomorrow. What do you guys think about my chances?
Thanks!!

Based on numbers alone you're a strong candidate. As long as your EC activities are robust and there's no skeletons in your closet you should be a successful applicant this cycle.

Got the call from Dean Stowers a couple of hours ago (after checking the mail and being disappointed to see nothing). I'm in!!!!!! This literally couldn't be a bigger dream come true. Poor guy, I cried. I was so nervous/doubtful. But I'm in! Woot!!!!!!!! I'm going to be a doctor!!!!!!!!

Got the call from Dean Stowers a couple of hours ago (after checking the mail and being disappointed to see nothing). I'm in!!!!!! This literally couldn't be a bigger dream come true. Poor guy, I cried. I was so nervous/doubtful. But I'm in! Woot!!!!!!!! I'm going to be a doctor!!!!!!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Now relax and celebrate! I hope to see you next Fall!

Way to go!!! Congrats!!! Now RELAXXXXXX!:D

Yay!!!! Congrats!!!! You can relax now! I think we should all take some good vacations before medical school starts!! :D

Hey guys! There's a facebook group called LMU-DCOM Class of 2016 if any of you that have been accepted want to join. I searched for it randomly tonight and found it. :)

yayyy!!!!

Congrats!! :thumbup:

Nice!! I was rooting for you to get in! :D

Congratulations!

Been rootin' for ya since the beginning. Way to go!

Congrats to everyone who has recently been accepted!

Will anybody be interviewing next Wednesday, the 12th?

Been rootin' for ya since the beginning. Way to go!

Aw, thanks! We have very similar stats/situations, so it's nice to be cheered on :)

Nice!! I was rooting for you to get in! :D

Congratulations!
Thanks! So excited!!

Yay!!!! Congrats!!!! You can relax now! I think we should all take some good vacations before medical school starts!! :D

Way to go!!! Congrats!!! Now RELAXXXXXX!:D

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Now relax and celebrate! I hope to see you next Fall!

Loved the school, thanks for the support. Very happy this week!! :love:

I called the office today and they said my file is in the "To be Reviewed" pile and I will be reviewed this week most likely....I really hope I get an interview!!

CONGRATZ on those that got accepted:)

I called the office today and they said my file is in the "To be Reviewed" pile and I will be reviewed this week most likely....I really hope I get an interview!!

CONGRATZ on those that got accepted:)

Sending good thoughts your way! When were you released and complete?

I've been complete for 3.5 weeks now. But I feel like they were likely waiting on my latest mcat score to come in. I finally got that back the other day and my score came up a few points. Hoping to hear something soon!

Invited for an interview today.
SS: 8/5; C: 8/19; II: 10/7

I'm going to withdraw my application. After closely researching the school's website, I just don't see it being a good fit for me despite being a great school. Hopefully someone on this thread will get the interview slot. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
I received the complete email on 9/9. Haven't heard any decisions except that my application is still under review. I took some courses over the summer. I retook Organic Chemstry II and Biochemistry I and got A, but unfortunately received a B on English, so I'm not sure if updating the transcript will be beneficial towards an interview invitation. Any input on this?

I received the complete email on 9/9. Haven't heard any decisions except that my application is still under review. I took some courses over the summer. I retook Organic Chemstry II and Biochemistry I and got A, but unfortunately received a B on English, so I'm not sure if updating the transcript will be beneficial towards an interview invitation. Any input on this?

As far as weight in the admissions process goes, I would think Sciences > Language Arts - I'd update it.

What is the class size for Class of 2016? I heard they are expanding the 150 due to expansion and a new building?

Also, does anyone have any stats on number of total interviews given and number of acceptances given out?

Lastly, is everyone's interview closed file? Does this mean after receiving an interview, they don't look at your MCAT/GPA and your interview performance determines if you get accepted?

CONGRATZ to all those that got accepted-I am truly happy for you and smile when I read the accepted posts:)

Also to those that interviewed, please fill out the SDN Interview Feedback for LMU-DCOM because I see the most current one is from February 2011 and it would be helpful to many people:)

Last edited:
Interview Invite!:D scheduled for Oct 25... they had 18 and 19th available, but I've got a midterm on 19th :( .. is oct 25th late in the interview cycle??

anywayz,

Complete mail: Sept 12
II: Oct 7

to those who have interviewed, or to LMU's current students: I don't really drive a lot, I just drive local here (Toronto)... as I understand, hotels near LMU do not send shuttle to/from airport.. sooo, what are my options of getting from the airport to hotel, other than rental car?

to those who have interviewed, or to LMU's current students: I don't really drive a lot, I just drive local here (Toronto)... as I understand, hotels near LMU do not send shuttle to/from airport.. sooo, what are my options of getting from the airport to hotel, other than rental car?

You're still relatively early for DCOM - they've been interviewing for roughly a month. It's hard to say how many seats remain but it's a large number.

I'm neither a student or an interviewee but I'm a local so I can tell you that there's basically not any other option. Any kind of taxi service from the airport to LMU would be very cost prohibitive.

Don't let the drive intimidate you - it's very straightforward. You will enjoy it especially if you're from Toronto. Toronto is one of my favorite cities but you couldn't pick a starker contrast than the mountains of East TN. If you've never traveled in the South you're in for a treat - the leaves are changing very quickly and should be in full color mode by the time you're here!

What is the class size for Class of 2016? I heard they are expanding the 150 due to expansion and a new building?

Also, does anyone have any stats on number of total interviews given and number of acceptances given out?

Lastly, is everyone's interview closed file? Does this mean after receiving an interview, they don't look at your MCAT/GPA and your interview performance determines if you get accepted?

CONGRATZ to all those that got accepted-I am truly happy for you and smile when I read the accepted posts:)

Also to those that interviewed, please fill out the SDN Interview Feedback for LMU-DCOM because I see the most current one is from February 2011 and it would be helpful to many people:)

They plan to expand to 230-240 I believe, but to increase the medical class size they have to gain approval. They are in the process but don't know when it will be finished. I was told by admissions that its a long and complicated process that they are in the middle of so they are keeping the class size at 160 for right now. If they get the OK to open it up in the spring then they will pull people off the wait list or interview more people to fill the additional spots.

The size of the 2016 class will stay the same (around 150ish students). Class of 2017 will likely increase to numbers in the low 200's once the new building is open and all the boxes have been checked. This is direct from the dean as we recently had a Q&A lunch with him.

Sorry, don't know the answer to this one. I think the acceptance rate from those interviewed is pretty high.

I sent you a PM with more detail, but yes the interview is closed file. I'm not sure if they give your numbers a 2nd look after the interview.

Wow, maybe its time to (dare I say) Relax!
They are words of wisdom so take heed! You will relax more in the time you have left than you will in all of your first two years, I can almost guarantee it!

Stats in the past have averaged around 500-600 interviews given out of the 3000 or so applicants. Of the 500-600, of course they have been ultimately admitting 160 or so, but the number of acceptances has got to be more than that since they have people turn it down. Not sure about exact numbers there.

And yes, everyone's interview is closed file. Your interviewers will not see your stats at all, but I believe it's still looked at when the committee meets. However, i will say, if you get an interview, they aren't usually worried about your numbers and the interview is key at that point. Now realistically, you can have a decent interview and still get waitlisted....it all depends on the full application but the point is...your interview is the chance to tip your application over the edge with raving reviews from your interviewers.

DEFINITELY report new grades....NOT reporting is actually risky because it means your application is incomplete. That's not something you want admissions to find out because they could technically revoke an interview/acceptance in that sort of situation. And a B is okay I promise :) I mean, there very well may come a day when you cry because you got a B and not a C....yay med school :)

I will be driving down from central Ohio on the 24th for an interview on the 25th. What airport are you flying into? I MIGHT be able to swing something to help you out, but no promises yet.

Awww, I wish they were expanding the class size from 160 to 200+...more seats means more acceptances:)

Hey so Im doing the secondary, how long is this thing supposed to be? I spoke about how osteopathic medicine was huge in my life when I wrote my primary so won't this very similar? LMU Rocks! I really hope i get in!!!!!!

Hey so Im doing the secondary, how long is this thing supposed to be? I spoke about how osteopathic medicine was huge in my life when I wrote my primary so won't this very similar? LMU Rocks! I really hope i get in!!!!!!

I don't know if the secondary is different this year or not, but last year I did a page for each of the two questions. Double spaced.

EDIT: Eh what do I care. Here is my secondary answers from last year. Not that I think it is so amazing that it would tempt you guys, but please don't copy this. Not worth it. I figured it would just give you an idea of what mine looked like, since people so rarely post their stuff.

1. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

As a nontraditional applicant, I have had the opportunity to develop my decision to apply to medical school through eight years of professional work in Emergency Medical Services. As a paramedic I have treated thousands of patients, applying both protocol and my own clinical judgment to make critical decisions in the field. The experience has taught me to be an effective leader, to think clearly under stress, and to appreciate the role of medicine in the community. Perhaps more importantly, however, my position as a medical professional has allowed me to work directly with osteopathic physicians not only as a student, but also as a colleague. The experience has allowed me to appreciate the role of the physician from an intimate perspective, and has enabled me to clearly understand my own motivations for pursuing this career. Moreover, a busy work schedule has given me the opportunity to demonstrate my academic fortitude. While working more than 50 hours per week, I was able to successfully complete both my academic prerequisites as well as MCAT preparation by taking classes at night. I believe that I am an applicant that demonstrated not only a passion for medicine, but also the resolve necessary to find success in this challenging field. I believe that both my maturity and experience will contribute significantly to my success at Lincoln Memorial University, and I look forward to taking the next step in my career.

2. In your own life, which experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

My interest in osteopathic medicine derives directly from my experiences as a paramedic, and the physicians I have worked with during my eight years of employment in the field. Through my work I have treated many patients who suffer from a multiplicity of medical pathologies, all managed individually by caregivers who specialize on isolated systems. In addition to their medical problems, these patients frequently fall victim to social, habitual, and economic conditions which undermine treatment and precipitate disease. When I was first introduced to osteopathic medicine, I was immediately struck by how well its core values resonated with my experience in the field. Instead of treating patients as if they were collections of organ systems, osteopathic medicine focuses on patient-centered preventative care, and utilizes a holistic approach to the body that emphasizes structure and function. Based on my experience, I believe that patients can benefit greatly from this perspective. I believe that patients should be considered partners in their medical care, and that preventative medicine should be the cornerstone of any patient's treatment. Osteopathic medicine answers this call. By combining these core values with traditional, evidence-based medicine, I believe that the D.O. is in a unique position to provide superior medical care for his or her patients. This is a tradition that I would very much like to be a part of.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if and when Dean Stowers will be back? I know its only Monday, but am really waiting to hear about the final verdict.