LMU-DCOM vs NYITCOM-Arkansas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syncopal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm relatively new to SDN, and I've recently started browsing the forums here about DO schools. However, I still could not find a topic relating to this one. I apologize in advance if I incorrectly used the search function on this site.

I have acceptances to both these schools, but I do have questions. I am a TN resident that happens to be fairly close to Jonesboro (site of new NYITCOM campus) but am skeptical about being part of a charter class. Do I have reason to be apprehensive about this new campus? I do like the fact that it is in Jonesboro and is on the A-State campus. But other than that, I have very little additional information about this particular campus despite my attempts at research. Current students or anyone else knowledgable in this area care to share their thoughts or information on this particular subject? It will be very much appreciated!

In addition, if anyone has any questions for me, I'll be more than willing to answer to the best of my ability!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in hearings specific pros/cons for NYIT-Arkansas, Price about equal, Jonesboro seems to have more to offer, can anyone comment on NYIT clinical rotations? LMU is more established, but has many preceptor rotations at small community hospitals, which is a negative to many. Will there be any GME associated with Arkansas? Any actual benefit to being connected to NYITCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in hearings specific pros/cons for NYIT-Arkansas, Price about equal, Jonesboro seems to have more to offer, can anyone comment on NYIT clinical rotations? LMU is more established, but has many preceptor rotations at small community hospitals, which is a negative to many. Will there be any GME associated with Arkansas? Any actual benefit to being connected to NYITCOM?
You will be part of an NYCOM school with a history of proven success. You can search on their site and see that they achieved 100 percent residency match last year. Nationally known Dr. Barbara Ross is going to be the Dean of the Arkansas site. When I was in the interview they stated they have already been working on residency slots and the people in the area are very receptive and welcoming to this new school. You can search the AOA for the nycom residencies in arkansas. Ultimately, it is a chance to be part of an inaugural class.

Always best to NOT be the inaugural class. Even though it is being opened by NYITCOM does not at all mean it will be anything like the one in New York. There are so many factors that have to be looked at and the information just isn't there yet. As a TN resident you will have many places you could potentially rotate if you are active about it.

Always best to NOT be the inaugural class. Even though it is being opened by NYITCOM does not at all mean it will be anything like the one in New York. There are so many factors that have to be looked at and the information just isn't there yet. As a TN resident you will have many places you could potentially rotate if you are active about it.

Depends on the scenario Travelingdoc. Suppose I got accepted into Caribbean medical school and then got an offer for an inaugural class in the US for a DO school. Sorry, but judging from first hand experience talking with a medical student from the Caribbean who is struggling with residency placement, the Caribbean school loses everytime. I suppose the OP should go with the already established DO school. I was just offering up facts about this new school and that it is NOT at all a bad option.

Thanks guys for the replies! I was actually talking to an attending I work under about this situation as well. He pretty much advised me in the same vein as Travelingdoc2. However, I do agree with FutureDO in that I would choose a US DO over the Caribbean route, even if it meant I was part of an inaugural class.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app