lmu-post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member10101010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I didn't get accepted this year but I was wondering if I should do a post-bacc or some kind of masters program. I heard LMU-DCOM has the best program. Is this true?

Thanks to all who reply to this.

Members don't see this ad.

I've never heard it referred to as the best program. I do know that it exists? There are more prestigious programs, but I depends on what you are looking for. I do have a friend that successfully completed it and matriculated into their medical school. Lots of do schools have masters programs. I did one at kcumb and I loved it. Look for something that is preferably one year, and cheap (unfortunately my program was pretty expensive)

You might not need to do a post bac. You can save a ton of money by retaking your C classes as well as studying for the mcat. What are your stats? Does lmu automatically give you an interview/ acceptance if you maintain a certain gpa? These are things you need to be thinking about.

Sure, I got my MS in biomedical sciences and it got me in to med school, but it also cost me about 30k. There are much cheaper and easier options, and unless you need serious gpa repair or you are guaranteed an acceptance, I would consider retaking classes on your own and focusing on your weaknesses. Good luck

check out VCOMs post bac program, i think it's pretty solid and it may or may not be cheaper than LMU

Members don't see this ad :)
Incoming MS1 at DCOM.

I don't know who would say that LMU's program is the best, but I think it's certainly a solid option as far as SMP's go. Personally if you're set on DO I wouldn't do an SMP. If you're fine with DO and reaching for MD it may be a good option though. What's great about LMU's SMP is that if you get a B or higher in the medical school classes (Gross Anatomy, Histology, Neuro(?)) you won't need to retake them if you matriculate into DCOM. Now I obviously haven't completed MS1 yet, but I have to imagine that first year would be an entirely different situation if anatomy and histology were already under my belt. I'll admit I didn't do a whole bunch of research on SMP's because I wasn't in a situation where I needed to, but I'm fairly certain that classes transferring from the SMP to medical school is inherently rare.

Also, you're guaranteed an interview if you maintain a 3.0

Thanks for the post guys.

Now is VCOMs a guaranteed also if I get a 3.0 or higher?

I think for VCOM it's a 3.5. And a 22 MCAT or somewhere around that

So its between LMU-DCOM vs Touro SMP vs VCOM. LMU-DCOM is a 3.0 and its a guaranteed acceptance while TOURO's is a 3.5 Guaranteed. I'm so confused. If someone has done either of these programs, please let me know.

I just finished the biomedical masters and am going to dcom this fall. Basically there is no magic number that will guarantee admissions. Mostly students with a B or better in the med school classes and an overall gpa of 3.0 or higher with at least a 22 MCAT seemed to get in. There were however students that got Cs in med school classes or that had slightly below a 22 that got in, but they usually had either a high MCAT or As in med school classes to balance it out. Most with Cs or below a 22 got waitlisted. The waitlist is just starting to move so well see how it works out for them. I enjoyed the program. I now have three of my first year medical school classes done and a masters. Remember that DCOM is a newer school and it's MCAT average is going up every year. I think they told us that for regular admissions it is currently above a 26 so a 22 may not be enough next year, who knows, clearly the higher the better. If anyone has any specific questions you can pm me.

hey guys! does the LMU post-bacc/masters use aacomas GPA for admissions?

OP, have you considered LECOM's post-bacc program? It is cheapest post-bacc program available, and you need to get a 3.0 in their post-bacc program to get the interview.

I've never heard it referred to as the best program. I do know that it exists? There are more prestigious programs, but I depends on what you are looking for. I do have a friend that successfully completed it and matriculated into their medical school. Lots of do schools have masters programs. I did one at kcumb and I loved it. Look for something that is preferably one year, and cheap (unfortunately my program was pretty expensive)

You might not need to do a post bac. You can save a ton of money by retaking your C classes as well as studying for the mcat.
I took both Ochems twice and still got C's, if by some miracle I take them again and get A's won't it be essentially pointless. I mean it will definitely raise my GPA but wouldn't schools just say, "About time he got an A" and not really give me credit for it?