loan/borrow meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samoa

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hearing that it's much harder now to loan and borrow medications between hospital pharmacies. Is that correct?

What has changed and how is it done now (if it's even feasible at all)?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hearing that it's much harder now to loan and borrow medications between hospital pharmacies. Is that correct?

What has changed and how is it done now (if it's even feasible at all)?

I mean we freely do it except for consignment items like factor, and we restrict loaning of shortage items.

So if there are more shortage items, then yes, we're loaning less...because there's just no product to loan sometimes.

Other than that...we have good working relationships with all the local hospitals and accommodate when we can.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I never had any issue with it. I think it's pretty common for local hospitals to share meds, we just fill out invoices. It benefits everybody because you never know when you'll be out of something that you need ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
We've recently had a change in the process - maybe it's California specific?

It's a huge pain in the butt, so we rarely loan/borrow out of our network now.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

We only do it with hospitals we are affiliated with (99% it is us borrowing, not loaning.) Exception would be for something super rare like a specific snakebite antivenum that is only going to be available at a limited number of hospitals nationwide.

You guys don't really understand why. It's due to DSCSA, the law made the process of tracking it a major headache.

I drafted the corporate policy on that at my old system, and at my new system we limit loan/borrow to within our system (exempt) and at our distribution centers.

Reactions: 1 users