PhD/PsyD Loan Forgiveness while working in University Counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freudianslipups

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working in a university counseling center at a large state university in a rural area and am enrolled in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program. This is going to help me pay off my federal loans but I have a few private loans from undergrad that did not qualify. I am looking to see if there are other programs I may qualify for that are good for private loans. Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

In a rural area, you could see if you qualify for NHSC loan repayment, which I believe can be used for private loans (assuming they were spent on qualified expenses, I think).

That's the only one that immediately springs to mind. NIH also offers loan repayment programs, but I believe those are for primary/entirely research positions.

Members don't see this ad :)
In a rural area, you could see if you qualify for NHSC loan repayment, which I believe can be used for private loans (assuming they were spent on qualified expenses, I think).

That's the only one that immediately springs to mind. NIH also offers loan repayment programs, but I believe those are for primary/entirely research positions.
NHSC requires that the funds go to eligible loans. I am not sure if that includes private loans or not since I didn't have any.