Loan repayment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DeadCactus

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is it to receive some sort of educational loan repayment as a bonus through your employer in Emergency Medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Not very common at all. This is more common in family or internal medicine. Generally jobs that offer it are employed positions with large hospital systems in locations that for one reason or another are hard to fill.

Very uncommon. Currently have a loan repayment contract that is open as far as residency(nothing crazy like neurosurgery of course) type. My biggest fear is that they might try to lowball me but this is all based on me matching EM of course....

Members don't see this ad :)
Very uncommon. Currently have a loan repayment contract that is open as far as residency(nothing crazy like neurosurgery of course) type. My biggest fear is that they might try to lowball me but this is all based on me matching EM of course....

Care to explain what this loan repayment contract is? How much does it cover? Where did you find it? etc.

I can't go into too much detail about the contract but I can say everything has been covered.

The location is in the South and very rural but close enough to a large city to keep my skills intact. The Hospital approached me about it after hearing I was going to go to med school.

Very uncommon. When it does happen it is usually contingent upon working at a place for a number of years. Typically in rural/hard to staff areas.
So, if you have a place that you've always wanted to work, and they have trouble hiring, you might get one.

Remember, it's contract negotiations. You may be able to get it, but you will have to ask.