Loans for international student!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JVT4JC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got accepted to a medical school in the US and will start soon. I'm very grateful for this opportunity. Originally my parents planned to help me. Due to an unforeseen issue, they are no longer able to support me. So I'm looking into private loans options (since federal loans dont consider foreign students) . Are there any international students on SDN who have been in this situation before? Can you give me some advises? I greatly appreciate that.

P/s: Im not Canadian, so borrowing money from Canada may be impossible.

Members don't see this ad.

Call your financial aid office. This is what they are there for.

You are going to have better luck trying for a private loan. Discover Student Loans is usually very good about giving loans to international sutdents that have an US Citizen Co-signer. Although I definitely agree about calling your FA office and seeing if they have other options. In Texas, there is a loan that people can qualify by just being a Texas Resident (not necessarily a US Citizen or US Resident) so there may be similar options in the state where you will be going to school.