Loans for International Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi everyone
this is dr mohit
i have come across that even i have money in india, even then i have to take loan in US to persue my DDS. can any one guide me about this.. if i have that much amount with me already even then i have to take loan?? please guide me

Members don't see this ad.

hi everyone
this is dr mohit
i have come across that even i have money in india, even then i have to take loan in US to persue my DDS. can any one guide me about this.. if i have that much amount with me already even then i have to take loan?? please guide me

No Dr. Mohit. Its not at all mandatory to take loan. If you have personal savings you can always pay fees with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not mandatory...however at my perspective, If you have good contacts in the us, then pay your fees by loan and payback when you earn. By this, you can keep your investments as it is in India.

hi every body :
i am A dentist from iraq ,from where I got my BDS at 2005 and my wife. now we are attending for Msc. of orthodontics in U. of khartoum /Sudan .we decided to get the american DDS by the IDP program, and i need all the help that you can give urgently , my questions are :
1- Is it too late for us ,I'm almost 30 old :( ?
2- I have a relatives in US. whom are US citizens from many years and they can be my co-signers ,is it better to wait, like a year ,to get the green card then get a loan on it, or by my co-signer is better or what?? in other words which is the faster and easier route to study the IDP by US loan ,specially I do note have any visa cause i live now in Sudan:) ?
3-can we get loan for me and my wife be one co-signer ?
4- Is it better financially, to getting study both of us or one of us
5- Is Federal loan better than the private loan ? and who to get federal loan?
6- Is it better to stay on the Msc. program in Sudan cause it sucks and I'm so confused :confused::confused:
please help
I wish that my asking is clear and helpful . thanks

Hi,

I want to know whether the loan we take with a co-signer from the US bank includes everything like dental school fee, and living expensive etc?

Will appreciate if someone sheds some light on it!

Thank you!

Hi,

I want to know whether the loan we take with a co-signer from the US bank includes everything like dental school fee, and living expensive etc?

Will appreciate if someone sheds some light on it!

Thank you!

Yah it includes everything.............but keep in mind the bank will issue on the amount that the school specifies.....

There are Islamic banks in USA, they just dont give student loans ... other loans are available tho

i went through the whole thread and found this question being asked several times/ several years/ but with a few answers..:(

This is actually one of the silliest as well as saddest things to ask+pity+

1. What do you do when you don't have a co-signer to sign ur loan??
Its a huge risk co signing and no one has agreed to it. And won't in future too. Can someone on H1B visa cosign? I guess the links accessgroup etc have stopped.

Hear about so many links - but all these guys who posted these questions way back. Where are they??

Did they just :diebanana: ??

Any one who has gone through joined DDS without a co signer pls do post ur experience!!

Reactions: 1 user
i went through the whole thread and found this question being asked several times/ several years/ but with a few answers..:(

This is actually one of the silliest as well as saddest things to ask+pity+

1. What do you do when you don't have a co-signer to sign ur loan??
Its a huge risk co signing and no one has agreed to it. And won't in future too. Can someone on H1B visa cosign? I guess the links accessgroup etc have stopped.

Hear about so many links - but all these guys who posted these questions way back. Where are they??

Did they just :diebanana: ??

Any one who has gone through joined DDS without a co signer pls do post ur experience!!

To my knowledge practically it is impossible to get such a huge loan without a co-signer having green-card or citizen, the other option could be arrange a sponsor from your home country and try getting loan from there. It should be fine and guess many students do this who are unable to get a co-signer... Look for your options !!!!

Hello. I am new here. I am an international student, currently on another program. My basic question is, short of being very rich, is a loan with cosigner the ONLY way that international students manage to pay their way through dental school in the US? Are there any other structures at all available? I am looking for thoughts from people who have done this. Thank you.

Hi ,Is there anybody I can ask a couple of questions regarding loans for international students who are permanent residents.

thank you so much

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, Can anybody tell me if people on H1B can get loans?

hi, can somebody tell if usa citizens get federal student loans. if yes what is the criteria.

Anyone in Canada and applying to ASP for international dentists in USA seeking to get a loan ?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Hey there,
Is there any financial company that offers reasonable loan plans for international dentists?
thanks

Can anyone please let me know what is the impact if the cosigner has a mortgage loan already and signing for me. What will be the interest rate in this case. Is there a possibility of getting a loan.
I am currently on EAD and is there a possibility of getting a federal loan without a cosigner. I have been in USA for more than 3 years.

I am a Brazilian student and I was accepted in a residency program in a US University. I wonder if I can get a student loan? And what is the impact if the cosigner has a mortgage loan already?
Thanks! :)

Is there a way that we can get study loans from US(which are at a lower rate of interest) against a property in India or without a co-signer in USA..
Thanx

Hi there! Congrats!

Yes you can get loans as an international student in 3 different ways, it all depends on your immigration status:

1) if you are a permanent resident you get a government loan. That is very easy and straight forward. NO co-signer needed
2) You can get it from a private bank in the US. For that you MUST have a co-signer and he/she must be an US citizen. As far as the co-signer already having a mortgage it is not a bad thing. In fact it can be a good thing: if the person pays regularly they will have a good credit score thefore banks prefer to lend to these individuals. If they have a bad score that might not be a good thing
3) you can get a loan at a bank in your own country... I have seen some people do that. Worst option since the dolar might keep fluctuating and you will never know exactly how much you will owe!

Good luck!

Hello Helper,

thank you for all the valuable information you provided about loans. since you are accepted at UCSF I am very keen to know your stats as this dental school is one of my top priorities for admission. please share ur stats if you dont mind.

is there any way of securing a loan if u don't have a cosigner in usa?

Have any one used this globalslc.com and successfully got their loans...?
any help is much appreciated..
thanks

I started the application but looks like they need collateral and they accept only from a few cities. They don't give loans if you don't have collateral in those cities. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

Can the cosigner be a conditional permanent resident?

Can anyone help me?
I got accepted at NYU and I have a co-signer. But when I am applying for private loan they are asking SSN. But as a student I dont have SSN. Can any one tell me which bank give loan with Co-signer but no student SSN?

Can anyone help me?
I got accepted at NYU and I have a co-signer. But when I am applying for private loan they are asking SSN. But as a student I dont have SSN. Can any one tell me which bank give loan with Co-signer but no student SSN?

Yeah same thing happened with me, they are asking for SSN.

Hello ;
Just being permanent resident ,will you take federal loan,even tho you dont have estabkished credit!!! How Permanent resident can apply for that!!!
Thanks

How can permanent resident get fedetal loan!! What size of loan can he get!!!"

For international students
what type of interest rate are more favorable: fixed or variable?
What should we fill in Loan Amount(aggregate for three years both for room ,expenses plus tuition fee) ?

Hello all,

I am on EAD status with SSN n also a cosigner. My credit score is low, but my husband n co signer have pretty good credit scores. Wd that affect my chances of getting a loan granted or wd it affect d interest rates ??

Hello everyone,

I am on F1 visa in US. Can a canadian citizen act as a cosigner for my loan amount ?
Also can I get a loan from a bank in Canada for studying in american dental school based on the credit history of my cosigning canadian citi
zen.

Guys please help.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Got acceptance letter.... I have couple of questions.
1) I am on H4 visa. Is it advisable to convert to F1 or stay on H4 itself?
2) Any banks that offer private student loans without a cosigner?

Guys, do you know which bank would give a loan for an AEGD program??

To Real dentist:
All amount described by your school. Best course of information is your school but not the forum. Each school has its own requirements. Call or visit the financial aid office, and they will clarify this to you.

IS THERE ANYWAY WE CAN SHARE OUR SKYPES so that we can talk better and share information?
Im a Peruvian Dentist interested in appyling to an american University. Need a lot of information and help.
Feel free to add me: [email protected]

I have a few doubts regarding loans for education in the United States. I have applied for advanced standing courses in dentistry and the total cost of my education and other expenses amounts to 200,000 to 250,000 for that two year period. I would like to know what the normal percentage of interests are for such loans. Do i have to take this as a single loan cosigned by one individual or do I have to take it as multiple loans. Do such loans affect my co signer in anyway.
I would be highly obliged if you would be so kind as to clarify these doubts.

Yes there are student loans on international education, and yes there are interest rates high or not depends on which bank you are take assistance from, usually public sector banks have low interest rates, but you have to keep something in their custody until your loan is completely returned.

Hey guys i need your help...i have question like how many years on average...it takes to pay back your student loan...let us say am talking about 2 year DDS program ??any help would be appreciated...thank you so much.

I have a few doubts regarding loans for education in the United States. I have applied for advanced standing courses in dentistry and the total cost of my education and other expenses amounts to 200,000 to 250,000 for that two year period. I would like to know what the normal percentage of interests are for such loans. Do i have to take this as a single loan cosigned by one individual or do I have to take it as multiple loans. Do such loans affect my co signer in anyway.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I need your help. I got accepted into dental school, have a co-signer and SSN. Which private loan is better overall as I don't have a green card. Wells Fargo, Citizen, Sallie Mae, or Discover. I have Discover and Wells Fargo credit card and bank with Wells Fargo. Thanks.