local anesthesia technique

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ctts

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any other threads when I searched, so just thought I would bring this topic up for discussion.

First, to use bicarb or not? I used it in fellowship, but then when I joined a group, the others were not using it, so I stopped. Now I am reconsidering using it again, but with regulations regarding multiuse vials, not sure how best to do it. Would it be reasonable to use a single multiuse vial for one day? Would you use it for more than one day?

Then as for technique...excuse my lengthy story here in advance. I use 25g needle for most procedures. For interlaminar epidurals, I use 22g Tuohy. Not too long ago, I was using a 25g 1.5 inch needle for local (that's what came in our kit). I would enter the skin with needle perpendicular, anesthetize deep, then inject as I withdraw the needle, and finally inject subcutaneous. Yes, I have heard recommendations not to create a wheal because it is painful, but I was also taught that a wheal is ok if you inject slowly which decreases the pain. I find if I don't create at least a small wheal, then I may not have good anesthesia of the most superficial layer, so that when I enter with the spinal needle, they still feel pain. So I was using skin wheal technique. Then after a while, I went through a phase where I did not use local for 25g procedures, as the lidocaine stings anyway (realizing it is without bicarb), and not to mention that it saves a little time. In the end, regardless of technique, some patients did just fine, and others found it painful. Recently, I have been using 27g 0.5 inch needles for local sometimes, and find that it helps (perpendicular entry with wheal). So I will order my kits with 27g 1.25 inch needles in the future. I also plan to try some with 30g 0.5 inch needle. Saving time is important, but I feel more now that minimizing pain will make it more likely that patients will continue to return for procedures, so I guess I am still experimenting. I am open to suggestions and curious to know others' thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

27g 1.25" for wheal with 1% lido and bicarb.

SML

Thanks for sharing. Would you mind elaborating about the bicarb...one bottle per patient? per day? longer?

Members don't see this ad :)
i stopped using bicarb 2 years ago, and nobody can tell the difference. there was a shortage for a week or 2, so i tried some without it. i did a test on my MA, lido + bicarb vs. lido alone. she thought the lido + bicarb stung more. go figure.

dont bother with bicarb. when using 27 gauge needle, bicarb seems to provide no added benefit.

also, takes longer, potential albeit minimal risk for contamination with multidose bottle, and cost of getting and stocking bicarb not worth it. i do use freezy spray instead.

30g one inch. Bicarb 1:5 with 1% lido. Staff draws.

Interesting discussion about bicarb. I wonder if anyone ever did a study on this? Bicarb is dirt cheap and I've always used it, but if it doesn't help, then why bother.
I don't like the spray as I don't trust its sterility for use with ESI, stim, disco, and it may affect clinical perception after MBB. Ok for SIJ, peripheral joints and RF, but at this point I just don't bother.

I use a 1.5 inch 27g needle for local. I find it helpful to numb down to the hub of the needle for SIJ, S1 TFESI, RF, etc, so I like the longer numbing needle with 1.5 inch length compared to usual 1 or 1.25 inch length.

Speaking of which, I recently found some 25g 1.5in needle tips that I've been using for upper cervical facet injections/MBB done with lateral approach.
Very cheap. Cost about 4 cents a needle, compared to 4 dollars per Quincke needle.

Speaking of which, I recently found some 25g 1.5in needle tips that I've been using for upper cervical facet injections/MBB done with lateral approach.
Very cheap. Cost about 4 cents a needle, compared to 4 dollars per Quincke needle.

I have been doing the same for skinny patients. Takes a second longer as dont know bevel but much cheaper

Attachments

• bicarb and lidocaine.pdf
    731.8 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for the study. Will keep using bicarbonate.

Speaking of cheap needles. I use the 25g 1.5in needle tips for cervical/thoracic facet joint injection because I can't reliable inject depo through anything smaller. However, for cervical/thoracic MBB on those skinny patients, I use my 27G 1.5in needles. Same cheap price of 4 cents and patients barely feel the procedure with the 27G needle.

Last edited: