Logistics of Reusing Bulk Single-use Electrolyte Vials Taken Outside Hoods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

araytb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
tl;dr Is there any way to reuse a punctured/entered single-use vial that has been removed from the hood and still be USP 797 compliant?

We carry 25 gram (~200 meq) single-use bulk magnesium sulfate vials. When a tech makes a 24 meq bag, how can a pharmacist do the product check while minimizing waste? If the vial is removed from the hood for the pharmacist to check the product against the label, it must be discarded according to USP 797. I've heard some institutions stick a foil cover on top of the vial or place the vial in a ziplock bag to preserve the ISO air quality but I didn't know if these loopholes were kosher. Anyone have ideas (and possibly references)?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe I'm missing something here but if the product is single use, why would you save it and use it again? In my mind, you would either have to make up a batch of bags at one time or else buy some smaller size vials to avoid waste.

Reactions: 1 user
Single-use vials can remain in the hood (ISO 5) for up to 6 hours, so leave the vial there and put a time stamp on it. The pharmacist can join the tech in the IV to confirm which vial was used and when.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Single-use vials can remain in the hood (ISO 5) for up to 6 hours, so leave the vial there and put a time stamp on it. The pharmacist can join the tech in the IV to confirm which vial was used and when.

Also use a mini spike to minimize multiple punctures

We use a camera system. Absent that, what's the cost vs. waste consideration on 25gm vs. 6gm vials?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

We use a camera system. Absent that, what's the cost vs. waste consideration on 25gm vs. 6gm vials?

Dosedge by any chance? I wish my hospital could get away from it since it is such a pain to configure on the back end, but I'll be damned if it isn't convenient for both dose verification and record keeping. Epic has a dose prep mode that operates just like that, but they don't have camera support yet so it's a no go.

Dosedge by any chance? I wish my hospital could get away from it since it is such a pain to configure on the back end, but I'll be damned if it isn't convenient for both dose verification and record keeping. Epic has a dose prep mode that operates just like that, but they don't have camera support yet so it's a no go.

We use dosedge at my per diem job. I love it! Of course I didn't have to set up or configure it whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

We use spikes that can be taken in and out and still be 797 okie dokie

We also use spike ports for larger vials.

If your anteroom is ISO5 (ours is) then you can bring it back into the anteroom and keep it there for the six hours. It doesn't have to stay in the hood.

batch them so you don't have to worry about that - if you have a 25 gram vial , make a bunch of 2 and 4 gram doses all at once

batch them so you don't have to worry about that - if you have a 25 gram vial , make a bunch of 2 and 4 gram doses all at once

But end product testing, bleh.

What Dred Pirate said. Just make up a bunch at the same time. Otherwise, a single use vial can't be taken out of the hood to be reused "later" (I've never heard of trying to put a single use vial in a plastic baggie....pretty sure that wouldn't meet standards.) Otherwise, call the pharmacist in to check.

But end product testing, bleh.

you shouldn't have to, use 7 day exp from published sources and don't sell to outside facilities - we do it all the time

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What Dred Pirate said. Just make up a bunch at the same time. Otherwise, a single use vial can't be taken out of the hood to be reused "later" (I've never heard of trying to put a single use vial in a plastic baggie....pretty sure that wouldn't meet standards.) Otherwise, call the pharmacist in to check.
also - depending on your IV room/ante room set up - I can look through the window and see the product in the hood - the tech tells me that is what they used - I check it for exp dating when they take it in the hood

also - depending on your IV room/ante room set up - I can look through the window and see the product in the hood - the tech tells me that is what they used - I check it for exp dating when they take it in the hood

Now that is a good set-up, I need a set-up like that.