LOL @ Next Step

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enik

PGY-1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just did the passages from the AAMC official guide. Has anyone noticed the amount of plagiarism the Next Step half length diagnostic and the AAMC guide passages have? I mean seriously the verbal passage about SES and health NS's is almost identical they replace study of nuns with monks. The hard-water build up in the pipes passage. As well as almost every psych-sos passage. These guys literally "paraphrased" AAMC's passages used them as their half-length diagnostic. The whole time doing AAMC guide passages I sat there thinking....I've seen this somewhere..... After seeing this I would not use NS to study for my dog-walking licence, let alone the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Next step said they are coming out with a 108 passages in CARS verbal practice. I swear to God if it's the same as EK101 or AAMC question packs verbal I'm done with them.

I wouldn't, I bought their 5 tests and took 2 and I'm done with them. I'm externally disappointed with NS. The guy that posted the schedule was a nice marketing tactic to make me buy their tests. Hell, PM me and paypal me $50 bucks and ill give you my NS test access.
Are NS Full Lengths original content or are they "closely paraphrased" like what has already been mentioned?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder what this means about the author's claim that he scored a 44 on the MCAT, a 180 (perfect) on the LSAT, and attended both medical school and law school ...

And here a biography from a book released in 2014 says instead he scored a 41 on the MCAT, "including a perfect 15 in BS":

He has gone through the med school admissions process himself and has scored a 41 on the MCAT, including a perfect 15 in the Biological Sciences.

Link: www.amazon.com/MCAT-2015-Behavioral-Psychology-Sociology/dp/1497478553

Yet his Linkedin account and Amazon biography says he scored a 44 on the MCAT, "including a perfect 15 in BS and PS":

He has attended both medical school and law school and has scored a perfect 180 on the LSAT and a 44 on the MCAT, including a perfect 15 in the Biological and Physical Sciences.

Perhaps he retook the MCAT between the times the biographies were written.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Bryan-Schnedeker/e/B00NY9GCL0/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

I wondered at the discrepancy actually when I was thinking about buying some of the prep books.

I felt the biochem book which I bought based on Amazon reviews and the aforementioned information was an overcomplicated information dump that wasn't particularly well-thought out, helpful or well-edited, though it's hard to say on the helpfulness part at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was starting to think you guys were being too hard on NS but after going to Amazon and looking at one of their reviews I came across the following. Not sure what to make out of it. In their review, someone complained Next Step Physics and Math book was a copy of The MCAT Physics Book by Garrett Biehle. Upon further examination I came across this... Can there be a good reason? View attachment 191580 View attachment 191581
Mystery Solved? Shortly after the post on the Amazon reviewer's comment about the similarity of the books, someone claiming to be a representative of NS responded with the following message:

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 6.22.21 PM.png

It seems that, rather than writing the math and physics book from scratch, NS licensed, at least some, content from Nova Press, a company which publishes test-prep materials. According to its website, the company "offers various licensing programs that allow material to be fully modified and branded with your company name!" From their brochure:

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 6.25.22 PM.png

I did not find an "acknowledgements section" but I did find a short phrase in the book preview, as you can see below.
Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 6.29.31 PM.png

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand it is understandable that one need not reinvent the wheel when it comes to content presentation, but on the other hand it almost seems misleading for the company to write that they "developed a proprietary set of 8 prep books, built from the ground up for the revised 2015 exam" but then simply license content created elsewhere.

It is hard to say just how similar the two books are based solely on the first couple of pages. Someone who owns both books might shed some light on it.

Screen Shot 2015-04-25 at 6.45.02 PM.png

Reactions: 4 users
Ehhh, I guess it's fair. I mean, I am moderately satisfied with the S&P books so far. I honestly think that the NS company has the best intentions for all the MCAT 2015 MCAT takers. I can see why they would want to emulate the AAMC style as much as possible. I don't think I'll be buying any more of their books because I'm pretty much set with passage/content review but I will attest that most of the passages are of decent quality. Whatever, they took 3 books worth of my money anyway, the least they can do is put that cash into making a more solid review book because those are really lacking.

Can anyone comment on how closely the NS FL's resemble the AAMC FL? I'm not really one to notice minute differences in passages and questions when I'm stressed for time but if it's like exact questions and wording, with no parapharase, then that can throw me off a bit.

I like how "DesitnationMD" registered yesterday to give a their own timely, fairly positive, review of this test. Interesting.

Much like how you registered the day before, with the name anon, and only to say negative things about a test which, as far as I can tell, you may not have not taken?

Check my post, I had good AND bad things to day, because that is, imo, what well-thought out analysis should aim for. I didn't want to join in some knee-jerk pig pile until I had looked at the situation for myself. Keep trying to question others, instead of focusing on the real issue.

And while I am not surprised this gets lost amid all the hyperbole, the issues seems to be the FREE diagnostic being similar to the offic guide q set, not a practice test. Not that that's any better, but it just shows how little attention to details we future physicians seem to pay online. I am a user of the work, and offered my experience and assessment.

Hmmm, wonder if they changed the test in response to all this?

I just took the half-length diagnostic. I took the AAMC test as a diagnostic a week or so ago and stupid as this may be, I just wanted to take something that would give me an actual score on the new scale, so I took this NS thing. The funny thing is, I didn't have any of the passages you guys are talking about--nothing about drugs, nothing about nuns or monks and nothing about pipes. So I'm thinking maybe they changed their passages in response to what was said here?

That is totally crazy @nomdeplume1234 I can't really imagine a good reason.

Now I'm so torn about buying their FLs. Yesterday, I was going to b/c I saw some of the April testers with good scores said they took the NS FLs and they're more affordable than some, but now I'm having serious second thoughts.

I just check my exam, you're right they did change. I take that as a good sign. See a problem, fix it. I am 2 FLs in and there was no issue with the exams as far as the AAMC material I have done. From what I read the issue was their free diagnostic, nothing more. If that's fixed, I would def recommend their FLs. Esp since are tough but reflective practice. I'd rather have the real MCAT seem easier by comparison.

Reactions: 2 users
This thread has me iffy about buying anything NS related.
Has anyone bought their psych/soc or CARS strategy + practice book and found practice passages useful? I'm lacking on psych/soc practice and getting a bit desperate to try these out, but this company has me second guessing now, especially with some fake reviews (I recognize a tutors name in the reviews who keeps emailing me when I called in last year for info about their program).

Members don't see this ad :)
I used the tutoring and the books and found them extremely!!! helpful. Performing well on cars especially after using every passage in the NS Cars book

This thread was very witch-huntesq to me... not defending them but the materials I've used have been decent.

Their CARS book is really hard, though.

This thread has me iffy about buying anything NS related.
Has anyone bought their psych/soc or CARS strategy + practice book and found practice passages useful? I'm lacking on psych/soc practice and getting a bit desperate to try these out, but this company has me second guessing now, especially with some fake reviews (I recognize a tutors name in the reviews who keeps emailing me when I called in last year for info about their program).

Car is absolutely terrible, I've bought it and every passages is taken from literature books that were written in the 1800s (seriously). It is honestly some of the most challenging and difficult to understand practice currently on the market. I did not at all, feel it was Representative of the AAMC passages, I thought AAMC is trying to steer clear from super hard verbal section that was on the previous MCAT and make it more comprehensible. But hey, if you are up for it, try it.

Car is absolutely terrible, I've bought it and every passages is taken from literature books that were written in the 1800s (seriously). It is honestly some of the most challenging and difficult to understand practice currently on the market. I did not at all, feel it was Representative of the AAMC passages, I thought AAMC is trying to steer clear from super hard verbal section that was on the previous MCAT and make it more comprehensible. But hey, if you are up for it, try it.
Where did you hear that they were trying to make it more comprehensible?

I don't know where you heard this, but your are gravely mistaken. Take a look at all the AAMC CARS material that has been released. They actually got rid of the old Natural Science passages, and added more on humanities, social sciences, art, politics. If anything the section is more abstract than before and is still all about critical thinking, NOT Reading comprehension.

I don't care how old the source materials is, this is not about science but ideas, and arguments which are almost timeless. Go look at some of the CARS in the OG test or the AAMC Q pack. What CARS have you been using besides AAMC & Nextstep? I have found the nextstep CARS to be very helpful and so have many others. Tougher than some of the AAMC to be sure, but that's the point. The best old VR book was EK 101 and those passages were more dense than the AAMC passages available at the time too. I have not seen anything written in a language I can't understand.

Last edited:
I don't know where you heard this, but your are gravely mistaken. Take a look at all the AAMC CARS material that has been released. They actually got rid of the old Natural Science passages, and added more on humanities, social sciences, art, politics. If anything the section is more abstract than before and is still all about critical thinking, NOT Reading comprehension.

I don't care how old the source materials is, this is not about science but ideas, and arguments which are almost timeless. Go look at some of the CARS in the OG test or the AAMC Q pack. What CARS have you been using besides AAMC & Nextstep? I have found the nextstep CARS to be very helpful and so have many others. Tougher than some of the AAMC to be sure, but that's the point. The best old VR book was EK 101 and those passages were more dense than the AAMC passages available at the time too. I have not seen anything written in a language I can't understand.

Their answer explanations sometimes were so vague at least IMO.

I bought all the NextStep Strategy & Practice (S&P) books before seeing this thread. So far, I have only used their CARS book for my studies (will grind down on the sciences when I get the chance).

Honestly, I feel that they did a good job of trying to mimic AAMC material in their CARS workbook. I have not compared their passages with AAMC, so I cannot comment if they actually plagiarized anything on there -- I am actually quite shocked at seeing this thread because I thought their work was great so far. Yea the passages & questions are difficult, but CARS (or VR) is meant to be that way. It is not true their passages are all from 1800s, there are plenty of contemporary passages in there too.

http://www.mcatskills.com/ $5k for one session a week, and you ONLY do CARS?? really?
I used him and had a great experience. My verbal section went up 4 points. Yeah, he focuses on CARS (Verbal for the old MCAT), but the way he teaches also preps you for the other sections, as the MCAT in itself is a critical reading exam. I owe my numerous acceptances this cycle to him helping me to increase my overall MCAT, and even offering help with the application process. Jack is the s*it. PM me if you have questions.

so whats the consensus for someone thinking about purchasing the 5 FLs for next step? Should one look towards gold standard? Currently I have 3 EK FLs and AAMC FL. So 4 total exams.

so whats the consensus for someone thinking about purchasing the 5 FLs for next step? Should one look towards gold standard? Currently I have 3 EK FLs and AAMC FL. So 4 total exams.
You could also buy a TPR 2015 book on its own (ie. PSYC/Soc) and get 3 FLs included with it for only ~$35

I think they have an option for you to buy one and then if at a later time you want the rest you can just pay the difference or a bit more.

I would go with NS over Gold standard. The old GS exams had lots of issues and were not that close to the old MCAT by the end of 2014. Plus their weird old-fashioned way of doing business and online exam setup was frustrating. Plus they do their full lengths by time of access with fixed expiration dates with 3 months being the length you get. I have been studying longer than that and with EK, NS, you get the exam and have a much wider window to use.

IMO AAMC >>>>>>>EK > Nextstep > Kaplan >TPR > GS for full length exams

I am now up to Next Step full length 4 and tto me they seem to bet getting more subtle, more AAMC like as I progress. I am not sure if this was done on purpose but exams 3 and 4 are more experiment based, the language is less dense. Maybe I am just getting better at the exam. They are still tough though.

FL 3: CF: 78% CARS: 84% BF: 80% PF: 88%

I would def recommend them if you need more practice, or just want additional exams to break u into section tests. Especially exams 3-5

I used the GS FLs last year. While their PS (and some BS) sections were superb and were really good for practice, I thought their verbal reasoning sections were nothing like AAMC.

I've been using their Strategy and Practice books, but I feel like they are trying WAY TOO HARD. Some, if not most of the questions I've encountered have been very difficult, which I find to be counterintuitive to learning. Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm about to start on them this week sometime. Which ones did you get? And what specifically was too hard?

Man, I feel like I've been fooled.

Then you're gonna freak when you realize all the material present in every prep book is a rewritten version of what is freely available online or in your college textbooks.

I would def recommend them if you need more practice, or just want additional exams to break u into section tests. Especially exams 3-5

You've taken the AAMC FL?

Then you're gonna freak when you realize all the material present in every prep book is a rewritten version of what is freely available online or in your college textbooks.

Don't forget the simple fact that many universities, if not most, have tutors for physics and chemistry that will tutor you for FREE. Compare that to prep companies that will charge thousands for comparable tutoring quality. There are even graduate students/Ph.D.s that will occasionally tutor you for a fee, but that fee is usually a lot less than you would spend elsewhere. I think you can even get tutoring through Chegg if you pay a subscription, and you can look up textbook solutions for problems you have trouble with. IMO, prep company tutoring services are a waste of time and money. I suppose you can convince people to pay anything if make them believe their lives will be forever ruined if they don't use your services.

Last edited:
IMO, prep company tutoring services are a waste of time and money. I suppose you can convince people to pay anything if make them believe their lives will be forever ruined if they don't use your services.

Or if you make them believe their lives will be forever great! haha I'm jm but you are right. Honestly I've never met anybody that needed a tutor and got into medical school.

Remember, using one and needing one is different.

Or if you make them believe their lives will be forever great! haha I'm jm but you are right. Honestly I've never met anybody that needed a tutor and got into medical school.
Don't forget the simple fact that many universities, if not most, have tutors for physics and chemistry that will tutor you for FREE. Compare that to prep companies that will charge thousands for comparable tutoring quality. There are even graduate students/Ph.D.s that will occasionally tutor you for a fee, but that fee is usually a lot less than you would spend elsewhere. I think you can even get tutoring through Chegg if you pay a subscription, and you can look up textbook solutions for problems you have trouble with. IMO, prep company tutoring services are a waste of time and money. I suppose you can convince people to pay anything if make them believe their lives will be forever ruined if they don't use your services.

I agree. I think it is outrageous that prep companies charge thousands of dollars for a service. My phone can do all these cool things and it takes so much engineering to make and the developers are some of the best in the world and that is WAY cheaper than some of these prep companies.

You've taken the AAMC FL?
Yes, it was the last test I took before my test date. I'd say NS FL 4 and 5 came the closest to simulating the real AAMC and my real exam. 1-3 were more like the old exam. I heard their system was undergoing some changes over the weekend, so I am guessing they took all the new info the AAMC released as an opportunity to update their full lengths. Still great practice, but yeah 1-3 were tough. Dense passages, tough concepts, and tricky Qs. Basically the "best" parts of the MCAT all in one ;-).

I would def pick up 4-5 if you can. And their free diag was good.

Remember, using one and needing one is different.
How many people have you met in med school? Half the students I met during tours had taken a class for their MCAT. Even in medical school there are tutors for students. I think you are confusing science tutors for MCAT tutors. Colleges provide one, but I have friends who TA or Teach physics, bio, chem and they look at the MCAT and just scratch their heads most of the time. One of my old pysch professors said she took a look at the new MCAT material to prepare for a new program they were working on and she said it was terrible, she bombed the psych/soc section on the AAMC practice test. Thousands of students w/ 3.0-4.0 GPAs bomb the MCAT every year because they assume its a science test. Kaplan and the other companies have not been around so long and gotten so big by being useless and/or ineffective. Maybe not for everyone, but for enough. The MCAT is a reasoning exam with some science on it. Just like a doctor is more than an encyclopedia of medical facts. As for using college resources, most are woefully unprepared for teaching to the MCAT.

MCAT prep =/= Content prep
science tutoring =/= MCAT tutoring

It's all about what people think they need to succeed. Do you really think you need to shell out $100k+ for 4 years to apply to med school? No, but you do it b/c its part of the game and if you want the best shot at success, you will take every opportunity you need. For me that was a ton of books and practice tests. For others that means classes, some others that means MCAT tutoring as well. Those books and practice tests you buy are made by test experts, whom you need because the AAMC could care less how well you do, they just want to sell you stuff too. Don't be so condescending.

I heard their system was undergoing some changes over the weekend, so I am guessing they took all the new info the AAMC released as an opportunity to update their full lengths.

Changes?!?! You mean changes as in now that they have had some tutors take the MCAT and remember what they saw or AAMC announce something:?

How many people have you met in med school? Half the students I met during tours had taken a class for their MCAT. Even in medical school there are tutors for students. I think you are confusing science tutors for MCAT tutors. Colleges provide one, but I have friends who TA or Teach physics, bio, chem and they look at the MCAT and just scratch their heads most of the time. One of my old pysch professors said she took a look at the new MCAT material to prepare for a new program they were working on and she said it was terrible, she bombed the psych/soc section on the AAMC practice test. Thousands of students w/ 3.0-4.0 GPAs bomb the MCAT every year because they assume its a science test. Kaplan and the other companies have not been around so long and gotten so big by being useless and/or ineffective. Maybe not for everyone, but for enough. The MCAT is a reasoning exam with some science on it. Just like a doctor is more than an encyclopedia of medical facts. As for using college resources, most are woefully unprepared for teaching to the MCAT.

christucker do you understand words.jpg

"Remember using one and needing one is different."

I figured italicizing "needing" would emphasize the point I was trying to make. We were commenting on how some people pay x amount of money for tutors because they "think" they NEEEEEEEED one.

Do you really think you need to shell out $100k+ for 4 years to apply to med school?

No I don't because people who get scholarships don't/didn't pay that much.

Colleges provide one, but I have friends who TA or Teach physics, bio, chem and they look at the MCAT and just scratch their heads most of the time.

I was a tutor and a TA. I may have scratched my head while studying because my head itched. Also I typically don't scratch my head because I don't know or understand something.

Wow everybody, great thread. You guys bring up some excellent points, and it's great to see so many other skeptical/critical pre-med students! A few thoughts and calls to action:

1) We can't be overcritical. To call posts in this thread "inflammatory" is absolutely ridiculous. We need to keep a critical eye on companies like NS (another perfect example is the threads Testing Solutions participates in and creates), because they very intentionally will try to make friends with the user base, establish themselves as working on your behalf, and then subtly or not subtly promote their own products now that they have established ethos. In fact, NS even has marketed itself on SDN as for the "[paraphrased] self-study type students that typify SDN." I here am guilty of having an unquestioning faith in NS and their mission after seeing all the free help they have provided on SDN. If criticism is unfounded, then NS and other companies will be able to answer to criticisms and the quality of their products will speak for themselves.

2) It is very important that we are skeptical of any products promoted on here as with any forum. I've heard about companies on Reddit establishing Karma (credentials? I don't use reddit) and then subtly suggesting their product or creating a clever post that gives them more visibility. SDN is not immune to this type of misleading advertising, and we need to be vigilant. As someone in the post pointed out, this is exactly what NS seems to be doing. Kudos to everyone here for doing such excellent research on this company!

3) Many companies use fake reviews on Amazon, especially if you look at Testing Solutions CARS practice. That **** is painfully fake, but you also see it with EK, PR, and Kaplan products (I've honestly seen it the least with Kaplan, however). A little common sense and community discussion will make sure that we're not duped. It is also important to look at the most critical reviews on Amazon. If there are none, of if anything critical has many people who have ranked it as unhelpful, then flags should immediately be raised.

***4) Apart from being skeptical of and critiquing product reviews and posts on here, it is also important that we work as a community to figure out what products are good and what are not. Ultimately, test prep companies do not have the best interests of students in mind. Profits are always their underlying goal. This is not to say that test prep companies are 100% evil and provide nothing of value of students, it just means that, again, we need to be skeptical and stay questioning. The best way to find valuable MCAT resources are posts on SDN. See what real users are saying, not what some MCAT guru says he can do for you or some useless Amazon review says. We need to constantly say what is and is not working for us. For example, I for one fell victim to NS and quickly bought their 108 Passages in CARS when it went on sale. I haven't started working though it, but I will make sure to give it an honest review for you all to see once I have begun doing so and compared it to what other companies and the AAMC offers.

5) Study resources for the 2015 MCAT were scarce through the earlier part of this year, and it now seems that we are being hit with a tide of material, including both practice problems and mock exams, from older reputable companies as well as new companies trying to establish a foot in a new MCAT market. Let's all work together to find out the pros/cons and cost effectiveness of different resources so that we can all make the best informed decisions possible in preparing the new MCAT.

Last edited:
I would go with NS over Gold standard. The old GS exams had lots of issues and were not that close to the old MCAT by the end of 2014. Plus their weird old-fashioned way of doing business and online exam setup was frustrating. Plus they do their full lengths by time of access with fixed expiration dates with 3 months being the length you get. I have been studying longer than that and with EK, NS, you get the exam and have a much wider window to use.

IMO AAMC >>>>>>>EK > Nextstep > Kaplan >TPR > GS for full length exams

I am now up to Next Step full length 4 and tto me they seem to bet getting more subtle, more AAMC like as I progress. I am not sure if this was done on purpose but exams 3 and 4 are more experiment based, the language is less dense. Maybe I am just getting better at the exam. They are still tough though.

FL 3: CF: 78% CARS: 84% BF: 80% PF: 88%

Thanks for this post. This is exactly the kind of post we need. I've seen your posts in other discussions and have noticed you are consistent in your rankings and reasonings are consistent and insightful. We have plenty of people searching for any material they can get their hands on, but we need more people, especially when it comes to practice exams, stating what they think is the best and why. We're at the stage now where there's more MCAT prep material than any one person could work through or need, so it's time to start making the best choices possible about what we use. I will try to create posts like this as I proceed through my own studies.

I was actually considering addressing this earlier... I bought and took all 5 Next Step Full Lengths. I did think they emulated the style of AAMC quite well. However, I took the AAMC full length practice exam the day after I took the 5th NS FL and it was quite nearly the same test. Many of the passages were the same or tweaked. The questions were also just slight variations of each other, often requiring the same piece of knowledge but just asking for the reverse of what the other wanted. Again I really did find the first 4 tests to be useful (though very challenging), but I was pretty disappointed with the 5th. To me it kinda seemed like they were banking on not many people taking the 5th one so they could slack off a bit and copy the AAMC material.

Last edited:
May I ask what you guys thought of the NS CARS Strategy and Practice Book? And their 108 Verbal Practice Book if anyone has tried that out yet?

Very appreciated.

I was actually considering addressing this earlier... I bought and took all 5 Next Step Full Lengths. I did think they emulated the style of AAMC quite well. However, I took the full length practice exam the day after I took the 5th NS FL and it was quite nearly the same test. Many of the passages were the same or tweaked. The questions were also just slight variations of each other, often requiring the same piece of knowledge but just asking for the reverse of what the other wanted. Again I really did find the first 4 tests to be useful (though very challenging), but I was pretty disappointed with the 5th. To me it kinda seemed like they were banking on not many people taking the 5th one so they could slack off a bit and copy the AAMC material.

If I decide to get the first 4 FL exams for nextstep, how are explanations to the solutions ?
I did one TPR FL and the explanations were terrible, I felt it was a waste of time and that I didn't benefit at all from taking their exam.

The explanations were pretty good I thought. The main thing is that the passages/type of questions were more similar to AAMC style (though more difficult). TPR/Kap are great for content review but don't quite emulate AAMC style of testing. Also you can only get either the first 3 or all 5 of the NS FL's. If you get all 5 I'd almost recommend not taking the 5th that way you're not completely ruined for the official AAMC FL and can therefore compare how you do on that to other SDNers who already have their scores.

May I ask what you guys thought of the NS CARS Strategy and Practice Book? And their 108 Verbal Practice Book if anyone has tried that out yet?

Very appreciated.

It was alright, I though EK had the best method to approaching CARS though...

It was alright, I though EK had the best method to approaching CARS though...

Thanks. In terms of difficulty, how did you find their passages? Were you personally scoring the same on those passages vs. EK101 passages? I'm finding myself doing noticeably worst on NS passages.

I didn't do EK101... but ya I thought their passages were difficult. If you want to see how people did on NS vs. the real thing look on this spreadsheet

If you have any others questions feel free to PM me - I don't want to distract from the main purpose of this thread.

Last edited:
I suppose you can convince people to pay anything if make them believe their lives will be forever ruined if they don't use your services.

Perceived value is an extremely powerful market force. The fact something so abstract is able to drive such a large quantity of resources is a testament to the power of human hope, and hopelessness.

By the way, you see the irony, right? Here's a hint: especially when the money isn't theirs.

Cheers to your bright future ensured by the taxpayers of America.