LOMA LINDA: do i have chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay I am non cali resident and non-christian, should i apply to loma linda.
They have for year 2004, about 55% out of state student, so should i apply.
I hear they are big religious, so will i stand chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Engrish? I think not you I understand well, maybe but are typing you with beer, mmm, yes?

do they ask you religous based questions at the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Noway said:
do they ask you religous based questions at the interview?

Yes, very much so. I would not apply if you are not religious. You wouldn't be very happy there.

newdude said:
okay I am non cali resident and non-christian, should i apply to loma linda.
They have for year 2004, about 55% out of state student, so should i apply.
I hear they are big religious, so will i stand chance.

Let's see...what is Loma Linda looking for? No, you don't stand a chance. The application includes a religious endorsement as well as several religious questions. I didn't end up interviewing there, but I suspect it would also be religion-heavy.

just out of curiosity, why do you want to go to Loma Linda?

Here are a list of their secondary questions from the sticky (hopefully this helps):
Loma Linda

Basically a list of questions, there is generally enough room for one large paragraph or two small ones.

1. What do you know about Loma Linda?

2. What is attractive about Loma Linda?

3. What traits make you a desirable candidate for admission to Loma Linda?

4. This school is a Seventh-day Adventist institution. The curriculum integrates ethical and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services are part of this program. Please respond to the above as it relates to your personal educational and career goals. (750 characters, Max)

You also have to write something about what you think about their no drinking policy.

To the OP, why on EARTH would you want to go to thi school? I would suggest doing a little more research about the schools you choose to apply to, and select schools where you would be a good match for the school AND the school would be a good match for you.

From what I've heard from various people, I think they also enforce a curfew at night.

With such a high out-of-state acceptance rating, I can see why this would be an attractive prospect for an applicant. But I guess the reason for this high percentage would be that they cant find enough students who meet their religious reqs in California? What if you were religious, but not with the same religion? Are they looking for students who are morally/ethically "aware" or actual Seventh-day Adventists/other devoted Christians? I dont mean any offence to anyone, I'm just curious. :rolleyes:

Flopotomist said:
To the OP, why on EARTH would you want to go to thi school? I would suggest doing a little more research about the schools you choose to apply to, and select schools where you would be a good match for the school AND the school would be a good match for you.
If he wants to apply there, then he should. Back off with your supposed "best advise giver on SDN" shiz. It is going to your head.

I personally think LLU is a great school. They have top-notch residencies and great primary care training. Their step 1 prep is awesome and the school has solid links with residencies in socal.

Floppy is just bent because of the religious aspects, including their pocily on no sex outside of marriage (heterosexuals and homosexuals alike) no drinking, and weekly chapel service attendance (any demonination). I personally really like that aspect of Loma Linda and feel that it promotes in me a healthy, active, clean lifestyle.

MD-iwish said:
With such a high out-of-state acceptance rating, I can see why this would be an attractive prospect for an applicant. But I guess the reason for this high percentage would be that they cant find enough students who meet their religious reqs in California? What if you were religious, but not with the same religion? Are they looking for students who are morally/ethically "aware" or actual Seventh-day Adventists/other devoted Christians? I dont mean any offence to anyone, I'm just curious. :rolleyes:

LLU primarily accepts SDA individuals, but it also takes a good chunk of non-SDA Christians. I am not SDA and was accepted. Outside of the Christian faith, chances are slim. This is not to say that they don't take ANY non-Christians, but the number that they take is so few that it would probably be better to apply elsewhere.

boonguh said:
From what I've heard from various people, I think they also enforce a curfew at night.

not true. Maybe they have a curfew for undergrads in the dorms, but for graduate students, there is no curfew. You can come in as late (or early) as you like. :)

how are SDA's different from other christians? they cant enforce no drinking and no sex can they? its just a moral guideline. i am sure u can still drink and sex it up under the radar. finding a fellow student to do said activities might be another story. u can always do it alone though.

Members don't see this ad :)
markboonya said:
how are SDA's different from other christians? they cant enforce no drinking and no sex can they? its just a moral guideline. i am sure u can still drink and sex it up under the radar. finding a fellow student to do said activities might be another story. u can always do it alone though.

Haha. You're right. They cannot truly enforce those rules off campus.

All Christian denominations (not just SDA's) have something unique that they believe in. Otherwise, they'd all be the same denomination, and there would be no use in splitting things up into baptists, SDA's, methodist, ect. SDA's are Christian. We believe in keeping the Sabbath from sundown friday to sundown saturday. We also have different beliefs about what happens when one passes away. There is also a lot of focus on the second coming of Christ as well. Other than that (and some other issues such as the food guidelines), SDA's are no different than other Christians. :)

boonguh said:

Yeah right!

I know that at the Adventist University I attend has no curfew if your over 21 and if you are under its 12:30am, so i would doubt an Adventist medical school would be treating its adults in such a manner.

TheProwler said:
Engrish? I think not you I understand well, maybe but are typing you with beer, mmm, yes?

Its English, no one in the world says Engrish :scared:

TAKEANMDPILL said:
Its English, no one in the world says Engrish :scared:

Not true...I know many "English as a Second Language" individuals who say Engrish...Rs and Ls are easy to mix up if you grew up speaking Chinese. And I for one was amused by prowler's post.

markboonya said:
Since when could you really have sex alone?

im muslim, should i even bother applying there??

shuzee said:
Probably not. Honestly, would you want to be there? I know that I wouldn't apply to a Muslim school.

shuzee said:

I was gonna ask that as well...Islam and Christianity have a lot of similarities and I was wondering if I could relate it well enough that I would have a chance there? I've also been good friends with quite a handful of Seventh Day Adventists and am pretty familiar with their customs and beliefs. Going to a religious school of whatever type, to me, would be a good choice.

OMG, Turkeyman is Muslim! This is like when I found out Shredder wasn't white!

I'm Muslim also and I posted a thread on this awhile, and someone said that they had seen Muslim SDNers get interviews at LLU. I'm applying there. If you read about SDA, you'll see that it's more similar to Islam than many other Christian denominations, most notably in the nearly identical dietary restrictions, and the no-drinking, sexing, drugs issue that everyone else on SDN seems to have a problem with. I was actually relieved to know I wouldn't have to deal with peer pressure of that sort, since I will be living on my own for the first time in med school and a single girl can never be too careful. It would be nice to not have people say, "You don't eat bacon! Boy, are you missing out."

I went to LLU for my masters. there isn't any way to 'enforce' the policy. Let me give you some quick info about the school. Some professors, though not all, give a quick prayer before beginning their lectures. This was at the Public Health school, I don't know if med school profs do the same, but I bet they do. The environment is pretty conservative.

anyway, they prefer SDA's...so I don't think your chances of getting in are very good. apply if you really wanna go though.

chaeymaey said:

I'm Muslim also and I posted a thread on this awhile, and someone said that they had seen Muslim SDNers get interviews at LLU. I'm applying there. If you read about SDA, you'll see that it's more similar to Islam than many other Christian denominations, most notably in the nearly identical dietary restrictions, and the no-drinking, sexing, drugs issue that everyone else on SDN seems to have a problem with. I was actually relieved to know I wouldn't have to deal with peer pressure of that sort, since I will be living on my own for the first time in med school and a single girl can never be too careful. It would be nice to not have people say, "You don't eat bacon! Boy, are you missing out."

Hahaha, yeah exactly. Hanging out with my more religious SDA friends isn't very different from hanging out with fellow Muslims. HAHA how many times have I gotten the "You can't eat baby back ribs? You haven't lived!" :-D

Finding out Shredder wasn't white for the first time was a shocker as well, that's for sure! :p

Thanks for the reassurance though, gonna go full-out on this school :)

UCLAstudent said:
LLU primarily accepts SDA individuals, but it also takes a good chunk of non-SDA Christians. I am not SDA and was accepted. Outside of the Christian faith, chances are slim. This is not to say that they don't take ANY non-Christians, but the number that they take is so few that it would probably be better to apply elsewhere.

Thanks for the reply UCLAstudent, guess I should cross that one off my list :rolleyes:

OHH yah and about the bacon stuff, imagine if you're a vegetarian? Ughh if I get a pitied look once more when I say I've never ate meat, I'm going to scream!! :eek:

jbm44 said:
If he wants to apply there, then he should. Back off with your supposed "best advise giver on SDN" shiz. It is going to your head.

I personally think LLU is a great school. They have top-notch residencies and great primary care training. Their step 1 prep is awesome and the school has solid links with residencies in socal.

Floppy is just bent because of the religious aspects, including their pocily on no sex outside of marriage (heterosexuals and homosexuals alike) no drinking, and weekly chapel service attendance (any demonination). I personally really like that aspect of Loma Linda and feel that it promotes in me a healthy, active, clean lifestyle.
Calm down jbm - I am not bent at all. I think that Loma Linda might be a great match for some people, but it certainly is a school that has unique policies and rules. It sounds like the OP was not aware of these rules, and had not done his homework regarding this school hence my post encouraging the OP to become more informed about the nature of this school.

In terms of how good a school Loma Linda is, I made no claims about this because frankly I don't know the answer. I am sure that like any US allopathic school the graduates are in general well prepared for successful careers in medicine.

I also think that there are many people (myself included) that would not be a good match for this school because of certain lifestyle choices. I for one prefer to go to a school where the school provides me an education and stays out of my private life and does not tell me who I can live with, what I can drink, or how to have spiritual relationship with a higher power. The OP does not appear to be aware that the school does far more than just teach medicine - it attempts to instill a certain set of moral codes into their students. It sounds like for you this is a bonus, but for others it is not. That was all I was saying.

Now let us all take deep breaths and relax. ;)

MD-iwish said:
Thanks for the reply UCLAstudent, guess I should cross that one off my list :rolleyes:

OHH yah and about the bacon stuff, imagine if you're a vegetarian? Ughh if I get a pitied look once more when I say I've never ate meat, I'm going to scream!! :eek:

*look of pity at MD-iwish*

HAHA jk jk jk i kid! Just make sure to get all your amino acids and you're good to go! :D

chaeymaey said:

Actually, most Christian denominations prohibit pre-marital sex, drugs, and such. It's just that most people ignore that to make themselves feel better.

Turkeyman said:
*look of pity at MD-iwish*

HAHA jk jk jk i kid! Just make sure to get all your amino acids and you're good to go! :D

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Oh I get MORE than enough amino acids :rolleyes:

boonguh said:

Are you serious? I applied there and was looking at their website and med students are not required to live on campus. How on earth would they enforce something like that, especially considering people's study habits and random things like travelling. What kind of sources did you get this information from?

swimncsc said:
Are you serious? I applied there and was looking at their website and med students are not required to live on campus. How on earth would they enforce something like that, especially considering people's study habits and random things like travelling. What kind of sources did you get this information from?

It was confirmed earlier in this thread that they do not, don't worry about it :D

swimncsc said:

Most of this has been probably been stated already in one form or another - but I'll offer my perspective as a current MSIII. There is no curfew...in fact come third year at times you'll be required not to go home at all. The school is run by the SDA church and seems to try to fill as many spots with qualified SDA church members as possible. There seems to be a handful of non-SDA Christians in each class as well. My guess is there are a few people of other traditions in each class as well, although it seems that even then Loma Linda likes to take people from traditions that might be used to following certain guidelines (and thus theoretically won't be likely to inspire mutiny or throw a kegger). I would guess some of these people tend to be more stellar applicants or perhaps came up with some interesting argument for what they might be able to contribute to the community. (I'm using the words "seem" and "guess" a lot because all of this is based mostly on my subjective impressions and the makeup of my class.) Some people drink and some people have sex. Indeed Loma Linda is interested in more than academic development, so if you happen to be boozing it up at the dean's favorite restaurant, you likely would be required to go through some type of alcohol education/recovery program or whatever is deemed necessary. The school is definitely not for everyone, but as long as one knows what one is getting in to and does not harbor specific anti-Christian feelings (and for example, is mentally prepared to do a bit of busy-work for some religion classes and go to chapel an hour a week...it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal for a non-Christian to attend). The challenge would be in getting in.

What's SDA?

So does a non-Christian person like me have a chance?
I wouldn't care about all the religious stuff, if that's the only school I'll get in.
Does the school have problem with (not interview and accept) someone who's not christian and even thought as someone said they "integrates ethical and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine." I can see my self willing to go through it, I mean I won't listen to all of it, but bottom line I want to be a physician.

Essentially, will the school accept out-of-state, non-christain applicant, with higher then their average stat who doesn't have a problem with their thing on no alcohol and stuff?

thanks

sweetrts said:
And I for one was amused by prowler's post.

Well that makes one. Does he ever have anything useful or relevant to say?

so like the earlier post said

Does an out-of-state, non-christain applicant with higher then their average stat who doesn’t have a problem with their thing on no alcohol and stuff have a chance of getting in.
I realize i didn't know too much about the religious aspect of the school, but if it's the only acceptence i'm holdin in june, i'll take it.
for the most part i just looke at the school's OOS percentage, looked good, so i'm thinking about applying.

sentrosi said:
Since when could you really have sex alone?
That reminds me of my recent physical with my PCP. She asked if I performed regular monthly testicular self-exams. I'm like, "Monthly? Try daily!"

LLU is a Christian-base med school with a strong Christian mission statement. Most of the students who attend LLU have some kind of religious ties to the Christian sect. Religion is going to come up a lot in the secondaries and the interview process. Do not use LLU as a back-up school, even though it probably has lower MCAT and GPA averages than some of the other CA schools. It's a great institution and your admissions will be somewhat affected by your stance on the Christian Church.

thehopeful said:
What’s SDA?

I wouldn’t care about all the religious stuff, if that’s the only school I’ll get in.
Does the school have problem with (not interview and accept) someone who’s not christian and even thought as someone said they “integrates ethical and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine.” I can see my self willing to go through it, I mean I won’t listen to all of it, but bottom line I want to be a physician.

Essentially, will the school accept out-of-state, non-christain applicant, with higher then their average stat who doesn’t have a problem with their thing on no alcohol and stuff?

thanks

Here's something from curlykid's post that might help:
"This school is a Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) institution. The curriculum integrates ethical and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine. Weekly chapel services are part of this program."

From what I gather from the other posters, non-Christians dont seem to make up a big portion of the LLU class. This is from UCLAstudent's post:
"LLU primarily accepts SDA individuals, but it also takes a good chunk of non-SDA Christians. I am not SDA and was accepted. Outside of the Christian faith, chances are slim. This is not to say that they don't take ANY non-Christians, but the number that they take is so few that it would probably be better to apply elsewhere."

P.S. I hope curlykid and UCLAstudent dont mind me quoting them :rolleyes:

thehopeful said:
What’s SDA?

I wouldn’t care about all the religious stuff, if that’s the only school I’ll get in.
Does the school have problem with (not interview and accept) someone who’s not christian and even thought as someone said they “integrates ethical and relational issues from a Christian perspective into the practice of medicine.” I can see my self willing to go through it, I mean I won’t listen to all of it, but bottom line I want to be a physician.

Here is the problem with y'alls attitude and why you're likely going to have problems getting in: instead of benefitting from the merits of a program, even though you come from a different starting point, you're talking about tolerating what is considered a very vital component of the program and what a lot of people get excited about in Loma Linda. Loma Linda doesn't just want doctors. Anyone can be a doctor. Loma Linda is looking for spiritual doctors with a caring ethos and a commitment to service.

If I attended an Orthodox Jewish school (I'm a Protestant), I'd abide by Jewish law and make that observance part of my religious experience, though I don't know if I'd necessarily become an Orthodox Jew (though I guess I could be compelled in that direction, I already have strong religious beliefs). In other words, I would apply the religious experience of abiding by Jewish laws, customs,and worship to my own faith, and I'm pretty confident it would be a very worthwhile spiritual exploration.

I'm just not seeing the motivation on your parts that's going to shine through in an interview.

If you're going to get something out of prayer, out of chapel, out of exploring the spiritual elements of medicine, then Loma Linda might be of interest. If you're just looking for an easy way out, I don't think you're going to find that in LLU. There's just that big of a difference between tolerating and pariticpating in and growing through.

TheProwler said:

o mebe no from US

Just how much do SDA/Christian beliefs permeate the curriculum? Is birth control, abortion, etc etc and other such christian no no's (well for catholics, i dunno about other denominations) simply not taught? or is it glossed over? i would assume u would do rotations in a SDA affiliated hospital. are those procedures not done there? i hope this isnt too ignorant of a question.