Loma Linda University 2011 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yeah i need roommates. lol. and i don't wanna live by myself because that wouldn't be fun.. so if any of you are looking for roommates or know someone that is please let me know!

Haha yea i know what you mean. Im leaning towards off campus too so im looking for roommates as well!

Members don't see this ad.

just got my acceptance call !
so happy I cried lol :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance call this morning!! :soexcited:

Waiting to hear back from other schools before I make a final decision, but am incredibly excited because Loma Linda is a pretty darn awesome option to have! :) Good luck, everybody!

Last edited:

Waiting to hear back from other schools before I make a final decision, but am incredibly excited because Loma Linda is a pretty darn awesome option to have! :) Good luck, everybody!

congrats! :)

what other schools did u apply to?

congrats! :)

what other schools did u apply to?

I also applied to U of Maryland Baltimore, U of Colorado, MCPHS Worcester, Midwestern and UoP. My last interviews are with MCPHS tomorrow and and UC on Friday, but still haven't heard anything from UoP. Probably a rejection by now, but I'll take it as a humbling experience. ;)

UMDB, UC and LLU are my top choices right now. I have something I like about all 3 schools so I wanted to wait for letters from the other two before making my decision. :) Plus it seems like such a waste of money to travel all the way out of state for interviews only to withdraw before hearing back. :p

Maybe see you in the Fall!!

I also applied to U of Maryland Baltimore, U of Colorado, MCPHS Worcester, Midwestern and UoP. My last interviews are with MCPHS tomorrow and and UC on Friday, but still haven't heard anything from UoP. Probably a rejection by now, but I'll take it as a humbling experience. ;)

UMDB, UC and LLU are my top choices right now. I have something I like about all 3 schools so I wanted to wait for letters from the other two before making my decision. :) Plus it seems like such a waste of money to travel all the way out of state for interviews only to withdraw before hearing back. :p

Maybe see you in the Fall!!

oh I also got an interview at UC but I declined when I was accepted to another CA school (before LLU) since I prefer staying in CA. Goodluck , and yep maybe see u in fall :)

oh I also got an interview at UC but I declined when I was accepted to another CA school (before LLU) since I prefer staying in CA. Goodluck , and yep maybe see u in fall :)

Wow! Good job!!! Congratulations!! Do you mind sharing your stats? :D

Wow! Good job!!! Congratulations!! Do you mind sharing your stats? :D

sure !
both overall and science gpa around 3.3
(as u can see i have pretty low gpa lol)

how did ur interview at LLU go?
hope u hear gd news from them soon :)

Members don't see this ad :)
sure !
both overall and science gpa around 3.3
(as u can see i have pretty low gpa lol)

how did ur interview at LLU go?
hope u hear gd news from them soon :)

Oh I see. I don't think that's a low gpa :)
I hopes I too. My interview was ok I think, not bad. Just me and another student that afternoon, idk about the morning session.

Oh I see. I don't think that's a low gpa :)
I hopes I too. My interview was ok I think, not bad. Just me and another student that afternoon, idk about the morning session.
Do u guys know if they are still calling for interview ... I didnt get interview yet ? and I thing my GPA is not bad either ....all of u guys are from Seventh dayA ?

CONGRATS! dont forget to check out our fb group page! the link should be in the above posts!

Do u guys know if they are still calling for interview ... I didnt get interview yet ? and I thing my GPA is not bad either ....all of u guys are from Seventh dayA ?

they are interviewing until the end of march.
and no not all of us are seventhday adventist, some are other religions

did u have a recommendation from a spiritual leader?

they are interviewing until the end of march.
and no not all of us are seventhday adventist, some are other religions

did u have a recommendation from a spiritual leader?

I did ... Actually they didnt like it and they called me and told me to write statement and expalin why i chose that person ... I think it could be the reason that i didnt get interview ... My gpa is 3.55 i hope they give me a interview ...

yea. they are still calling for interviews and I remember them mentioning that decisions can go until late march to April. don't give up hope! I am not SDA it's 50/50 with religion distribution. good luck!

Would you know where LLUSP rank in CA pharm schools? what is the distribution in pharm fields graduates go to usually? community, hospital, biotech? usnews says they are unranked.

thanks

Would you know where LLUSP rank in CA pharm schools? what is the distribution in pharm fields graduates go to usually? community, hospital, biotech? usnews says they are unranked.

thanks
They're fairly new in terms of accreditation (first class graduated 2006 I think), but the school itself has a much longer history. And I wouldn't look at the rankings to determine which is a "better" school. The AACP itself doesn't endorse the US News list, and looking at the list doesn't even tell you much about the school itself anyway--look into the curriculum and opportunities they offer instead.

From what I saw and heard when I went to interview, there seems to be a strong focus on hospital pharmacy (the ER is right across from the current pharmacy building, and when they move to the new building it'll still be only 5 minutes walk away) and their residency program looks pretty legit. However, every pharmacy school trains you equally in both community and hospital work, so I feel that looking at where the graduates go doesn't really matter either. It really depends on -you- what you want to do afterwards. :)

Anyways, are there any current students who could tell us what life at LLU is like? :confused:

ETA: Just looked through the newsletter I got from the interview, and their residency program began in 1995.

Last edited:
Im a current student.... Ill try to get some others on here to post.

Yes a few teachers have left. School is still running strong dont believe we will have any problems with accreditation. All of the faculty are pretty genuine and easily approachable.

For those that do not have a car you will need it during your second quarter since our IPPE sites can be up to anywhere as 70 miles.. You have one full day to go to your site and come back there is no school that day... Many of the classmates choose the OC or LA if they are from that area so there are plenty of spots that are closer to campus.

All the interviews are 2 one on one interviewers with an essay. Usually one to three students at a time I believe.

Upper class man here are helpful even though we dont see them much when we do everything is very friendly. We have been having some events and things to meet everyone which is really nice.

The school is doing this new "team based learning" in a few classes. Lots of people did not like it at first but it has really taken off and more teachers are adopting it. It actually makes class easier and every ones grades are the highest LLU pharmacy has had so it is working.

They accept people of all religion not just SDA.

It is good to make a FB page, the school itself does not make one but we have one too and its nice we post questions for studying and reminders for things..

Hope this clears up some things. Good luck guys.

Im a current student.... Ill try to get some others on here to post.

Yes a few teachers have left. School is still running strong dont believe we will have any problems with accreditation. All of the faculty are pretty genuine and easily approachable.

For those that do not have a car you will need it during your second quarter since our IPPE sites can be up to anywhere as 70 miles.. You have one full day to go to your site and come back there is no school that day... Many of the classmates choose the OC or LA if they are from that area so there are plenty of spots that are closer to campus.

All the interviews are 2 one on one interviewers with an essay. Usually one to three students at a time I believe.

Upper class man here are helpful even though we dont see them much when we do everything is very friendly. We have been having some events and things to meet everyone which is really nice.

The school is doing this new "team based learning" in a few classes. Lots of people did not like it at first but it has really taken off and more teachers are adopting it. It actually makes class easier and every ones grades are the highest LLU pharmacy has had so it is working.

They accept people of all religion not just SDA.

It is good to make a FB page, the school itself does not make one but we have one too and its nice we post questions for studying and reminders for things..

Hope this clears up some things. Good luck guys.

Thanks for the great post! I was actually wondering if LLU Admissions would create a fb page but i guess not. Are u currently a P1?

Thanks for the info, jumpmandrumma! Please get other current students to post their experiences :D

I also have a few more questions:
How much is parking on campus?
What are good areas/apartments to live in for off-campus housing?
Are there any student orgs (not the professional frats)? I've been involved with Catholic groups since middle school, and was hoping there'll be something similar at LLU despite the different denomination thing.
And what do LLU kids do for fun?? I've been pretty spoiled in that I've always lived in big cities with lots of things to do. When I went to LLU the area seemed so..."empty" :< I realized pharmers get pretty busy, but it'd be nice to have the option!

Yeah I'm a P1 at the moment...

Parking is free on campus you just have to register your car.

I live off campus, rent here varies depending on what you get and how far from campus. A few students have small studios I believe pay like 300-500 monthly and then I've seen apartments get up too like 1300 for 2br and all that stuff... Depending on roommates or if you split a house it gets cheaper..

I believe the dorms are about 300 monthly including all amenities i.e. Water, gas etc.... They do have some rules however you would need to look into that see if they are comfortable. You usually will room with other people in the program.

Activities other than groups are around. I'm not sure of them myself but there are some. I do not know a list off the top of my head. But there are plenty to join.

For fun, it depends on you and who you end up buddying up with. First quarter was slow since you get to know people and get situated with studying.
Drayson center which is the gym everyone goes too. Lots of intramural sports lots of people are in them.
Going out to eat is a big thing lol.
I know uppers go golf, we went airsofting, paintballing, shooting range, driving range, movies... I know people go to LA and do stuff there. It depends on you guys. All about trying new things and being out of your comfort zone learn new things.

I got a called about being placed on the alternate list :(

Hoping to have better results for UOP interview in 2 days!

two separate interviews with faculty. intro by staff, intro by video, Q&A with dean, essay

What is the supplemental application? Is it an essay?
How hard is the writing sample at interview? Do they have time limit or specific length?
Anyone help me!

To make it short, I was medically discharged from the Army in 2009 in December due to some how testing positive for leukemia and Diabetes type 1.. The cancer went into remission so the Army is giving money for life and medical ect..I was given a chap 31 so I decided to go to school and just finished all my reqs for LLU this spring semester..My gpa is a 3.78, I took some pharm tech classes as well, I received a call from the VA and they accepted my letter for Graduate school and they will pay my whole tuition plus supplies and a monthly allowance..my concern is I have no prior experience when it comes to working in a pharmacy nor volunteer experience as well. Will this hinder my chances to get into LLU pharm D program? any info would greatly be appreciated

To make it short, I was medically discharged from the Army in 2009 in December due to some how testing positive for leukemia and Diabetes type 1.. The cancer went into remission so the Army is giving money for life and medical ect..I was given a chap 31 so I decided to go to school and just finished all my reqs for LLU this spring semester..My gpa is a 3.78, I took some pharm tech classes as well, I received a call from the VA and they accepted my letter for Graduate school and they will pay my whole tuition plus supplies and a monthly allowance..my concern is I have no prior experience when it comes to working in a pharmacy nor volunteer experience as well. Will this hinder my chances to get into LLU pharm D program? any info would greatly be appreciated

definitely get some pharmacy experience if you can. Or hopefully you have other volunteering experiences related to healthcare?
But I think if everything else on your app is good, it shouldnt be too much of a problem. Though be prepared to answer them if at your interview they ask why you don't have any pharmacy experience.

Goodluck!

definitely get some pharmacy experience if you can. Or hopefully you have other volunteering experiences related to healthcare?
But I think if everything else on your app is good, it shouldnt be too much of a problem. Though be prepared to answer them if at your interview they ask why you don't have any pharmacy experience.

Goodluck!

Yea thats the only part that has me worried.. When I left the US ARMY, I had no prior college experience, so when I got out, I chose pharmacy would be a good choice so I began my reqs for loma linda's program and was able to finish everything within 2 yrs or so, but it required me to complete 19-22 units each semester plus summer schools to finish asap so I had no time for volunteer work or a job in pharmacy.. Before the army, I worked for kenneth cole as a manager for 2 yrs and then played some minor league baseball.. Im just hoping they dont view my lack of experience in the pharmacy field as negative and deny my app.

Yea thats the only part that has me worried.. When I left the US ARMY, I had no prior college experience, so when I got out, I chose pharmacy would be a good choice so I began my reqs for loma linda's program and was able to finish everything within 2 yrs or so, but it required me to complete 19-22 units each semester plus summer schools to finish asap so I had no time for volunteer work or a job in pharmacy.. Before the army, I worked for kenneth cole as a manager for 2 yrs and then played some minor league baseball.. Im just hoping they dont view my lack of experience in the pharmacy field as negative and deny my app.

Just make sure you get good recommendation letters. And when you answer their supplemental application, try to answer in a way that would let them know you fit the school's motto "make man whole." Since I know some applicants who had a high gpa but had some problems with their recommendation letters or didn't seem like the type of person to fit in at LLU so they weren't given an interview.
Other than that your gpa is above average and you have work experience as well as you were in the Army so you should be fine!

Just make sure you get good recommendation letters. And when you answer their supplemental application, try to answer in a way that would let them know you fit the school's motto "make man whole." Since I know some applicants who had a high gpa but had some problems with their recommendation letters or didn't seem like the type of person to fit in at LLU so they weren't given an interview.
Other than that your gpa is above average and you have work experience as well as you were in the Army so you should be fine!

Yea hopefully they give me break on the lack of medical experience and such, hopefully I atleast get an interview..time to start crossing thy fingers lol thanks for your help:thumbup:

To those who got accepted, can you help me with this question?

I just got off the waitlist this morning and this was part of their email:

"This offer of acceptance is contingent upon the following factors: successful completion of all prerequisite requirements, your ability to continue to maintain an academic record at or above your past performance and passing a background check."

Does anyone know how much the school emphasizes on maintaining grades? I recently did horrible my last quarter (C's), though these classes are not part of my pharm prereq.

I should be excited that I got off the waitlist for c/o 2016, but I'm now worried because my performance dropped. What will happen to me now? :(

"This offer of acceptance is contingent upon the following factors: successful completion of all prerequisite requirements, your ability to continue to maintain an academic record at or above your past performance and passing a background check."

Does anyone know how much the school emphasizes on maintaining grades? I recently did horrible my last quarter (C's), though these classes are not part of my pharm prereq.

I should be excited that I got off the waitlist for c/o 2016, but I'm now worried because my performance dropped. What will happen to me now? :(

At the interview, they said if you get bad grades after you get accepted they might contact you and ask for a letter why you did poorly. You'll just have to send in your final transcripts, wait for them to receive it and see if they say anything.

Goodluck!

Do you have a BA degree?

^
^ thanks

I just graduated and will be receiving my BS degree in Biology

I don't think you have anything to be worried about. I mean yes we all have struggled in the past, but be sure to remember that you got in for a reason so take it upon yourself to do the best you can in or out of the classroom. As for those C grade for non prereqs I don't see why that would be a problem anymore because you basically are in the class you just can't get anything lower than a C, if you are done with your prereqs.