Loma Linda University Clinical Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gboy52

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
i was wondering if anybody has heard anything about this school? They offer a PhD in clinical psych with Neuropsych concentration. I just want to know is it a legitimate school? or another professional school

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody,
i was wondering if anybody has heard anything about this school? They offer a PhD in clinical psych with Neuropsych concentration. I just want to know is it a legitimate school? or another professional school

I think I read elsewhere on sdn that the school is associated with Seventh Day Adventists.

Yeah, its an "Christian" training program in an explicitly Christian school.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Loma Linda is indeed associated with Seventh Day Adventists. Yes, there is a chapel on campus and classes in theology/religion/etc. No, you do not need to be 7th Day Adventist to attend the school; nor do they try to convert you from what I understand. I had an interview at LLU (for a different program) and spoke to others on campus. They told me professors, staff and students come from a variety of backgrounds and faiths. The school definitely encourages the openness to and exploration of spirituality; but you are not required to profess any certain faith and classes are not faith-related (except in the school of religion). It is a school for health professions. A large part of their philosophy is to bring healing to people, as their Christian foundation calls them to do. They also have a strong focus on global missions.

But to answer your question: Yes, Loma Linda is a legitimate school. They have a respected school of medicine, as well as schools of dentistry, pharmacy, public health, nursing, etc. There are also plenty of hospitals/health centers on and around campus. At my undergrad institution (UC Irvine), I have had professors who graduated from LLU. I can't speak to the quality of your specific program, but in general LLU provides quality education.

Having said that, there may be other lifestyle factors that you may wish to consider. LLU is a vegetarian campus--I did not know that until I visited. I read that quality of health in the area is very high due to their diet and lifestyle. Secondly, although you are not forced to participate in religious activities, as 7th Day Adventists they do observe their sabbath by resting. This means all offices, etc. are closed from sundown on Friday til sundown on Saturday. They believe that there should be a rhythm of work and rest, to be refreshed and replenished for the next week. Thirdly, there is not much to do in the area. Take this with a grain of salt, as I did not have time to explore much. I'm sure there are things to do, of course. But don't expect LLU to have a college town or nightlife in the immediate area. Hope is not lost: You can drive to downtown Riverside or surrounding cities, which aren't too far away. Okay, that's all I have to say about LLU for now. Good luck with your decisions!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping up an old thread on this school. Does anyone have any direct experience with their program? I'm putting in an app because there's a faculty member I'd like to work with. While not a regular church goer or self-described Christian, I was raised religious and have a great deal of respect for religion and anyone who makes their own morals a guiding force in how they live their life. I could go to a Christian school and get a lot out of it. But now that I'm filling out the application, it's saying that chapel services are mandatory, that you have to stop drinking for the duration of your education there, etc. It is asking where I attend church, and who the minister is there. Anyone have a clearer sense of how reconcilable LLU is with....not being a 7th Day Adventist?

I know someone who went there for neuropsych. They did just fine. Nothing special but nothing concerning either. The graduate program has little explicit association with that denomination, which is simply a conservative Protestant branch. I think there sabbath is on Saturday.

Their application has (or had 10+ years ago) a section that asked about how you would adhere to their religious standards. 7th day adventists are a bit more rigid in their codes of conduct than what I consider normal for protestants. Like no smoking, no drinking, using media on sabbath, some don't eat shellfish.

Communion with grape juice? No thanks. No thanks...

Last edited:
Their application has (or had 10+ years ago) a section that asked about how you would adhere to their religious standards. 7th day adventists are a bit more rigid in their codes of conduct than what I consider normal for protestants. Like no smoking, no drinking, using media on sabbath, some don't eat shellfish.
I could go without smoking and drinking and even shellfish, but I can't go to a movie on a Saturday night? Count me out.

Actually got accepted (>10 years ago) but decided to forego because I I wasn't a neuro guy then... ironically now I'm studying for the ABN written exam...

When I applied, LLU had a good regional reputation although it's in the IE which makes geography not a hot spot. They don't serve meat, caffeine, etc. and had a conservative environment. If you are able to do well in your courses, I doubt they'll be sending people to ensure you follow the strict word of the code.

Good luck!

I met the person in the area for drinks when she was in the program. I Never got the indication that she or her cohort were white knuckling sobriety while completing the program.

I know someone who went there for neuropsych. They did just fine. Nothing special but nothing concerning either. The graduate program has little explicit association with that denomination, which is simply a conservative Protestant branch. I think there sabbath is on Saturday.

That was about what I expected. I'll apply, if I get an interview, I'll scope it out there. Will report back if it gets that far.