Long Beach AOA IM and FM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shojimoji

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No idea about this place, but care to share the some stories about Arrowhead? I was under the impression it was a solid AOA site.
The only real con I can think of for Arrowhead IM is that you get worked... and worked hard. Q3-4 call (24 hour call for seniors doing admissions, rapid response calls, code blues), night float every 4 weeks (no call for seniors that week, interns in house overnight, but your team will be at the 20 patient cap that week). Besides that, amazing pathology, very high volume.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The only real con I can think of for Arrowhead IM is that you get worked... and worked hard. Q3-4 call (24 hour call for seniors doing admissions, rapid response calls, code blues), night float every 4 weeks (no call for seniors that week, interns in house overnight, but your team will be at the 20 patient cap that week). Besides that, amazing pathology, very high volume.

Thanks! This is what I've heard. Obviously being over-worked isn't a great thing, but its not like you'll come out of there with bad training or anything.

Last edited:

Q3-4 call monthly?

one of the docs i worked in the same clinic with went to their fm program...she seemed well trained and was local from the long beach area so that worked out well for her. but not sure how it stacks out seeing as most fm programs are community ones anyways. be careful about where you are in long beach though, there are some not so friendly neighborhoods to be weary of.

My cousin goes to western says:

i heard arrowhead has more sgu students doing rotations now

yeah so this long beach program, anyone actually know something about it?

Last edited:
Seems like not such a great place to train. Residency is your last chance to be on your own. You need good teaching and good leeway into autonomy. Sure you may work your behind off but it'll pay off.

I love the location of the program, but i just need to make sure I get the experience I need so I don't end up becoming in the middle of some lawsuit.

It seems that they did not do so well in the match last year and had quite a few unfilled positions according to (scroll down to pacific hospital):

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/students/match-program/Pages/match-results.aspx

Hi,
Anyone know anything current about the programs since they switched names to College med center? I know its a community program, but im looking to do community medicine as a GP.

Looking to do a rotation there. Biggest selling point, for me, at least is the location in SoCal.

Any input thats recent...im weary of AOA programs ever since my friend told me horror stories at Arrowhead. But looking for honest opinions about the IM and FM programs here. I see they wont even provide disability insurance, funding issue?

thanks

Community programs are where it's at in FM, the more unnopposed, the better.

For IM, it can be good too. But if you want a fellowship, the more academic the better usually.

Reactions: 1 user
Hemet and Anaheim are both super new IM programs. Chino FM... well... um... you learn how to do the pan consult.

Community programs are where it's at in FM, the more unnopposed, the better.

For IM, it can be good too. But if you want a fellowship, the more academic the better usually.

This is something I've found myself trying to explain to a number of my colleagues. Keep spreading the good word. Opposed may be good as well (OB and surgery if those aren't your bag) but I'd be hesitant if an IM program was in house swiping all the good stuff.

This is something I've found myself trying to explain to a number of my colleagues. Keep spreading the good word. Opposed may be good as well (OB and surgery if those aren't your bag) but I'd be hesitant if an IM program was in house swiping all the good stuff.

Yeah as a recent switcher from IM it's definitely a paradigm shift to be looking at these places, and have them be the competitive ones.

I will say though, I just interviewed at a place with a lot of other residencies in house, won't say where, but it was awesome and I'm pretty sure it just landed near the top of my ROL when I wasn't expecting it to.

Yeah as a recent switcher from IM it's definitely a paradigm shift to be looking at these places, and have them be the competitive ones.

I will say though, I just interviewed at a place with a lot of other residencies in house, won't say where, but it was awesome and I'm pretty sure it just landed near the top of my ROL when I wasn't expecting it to.
Maybe you can give me a hint after March ;)

my buddies from western rotate there and they have all told me that long beach is an awful place to train because of the sheer lack of pathology. arrowhead would be amazing, however, its brutal sheer brutal.

long beach is not good training in my opinion.