long distance flying - new admissions cycle

anktheonc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not get an acceptance this cycle granted I did apply a little late in the game and my stats aren't that great honestly. I got 1 waitlist offer at LECOM - Bradenton and hopefully that'll will work out soon.

My school list was somewhat small and centered around the south/southeast so I could still be within a reasonable distance of my gf, who lives in North Florida (pharm student). Bradenton would be great because its 4hours ish and that drive is totally do-able. My next best option was either PCOM-GA or NOVA; a little further. As the cycle moves on, I have to think about re-applying and opening up the school list to more schools. But that kinda scares me a little since that moves I potentially would be further away from her and wont see her as often; which right now is like every 2-3 weeks.

So my question is for the long distance relationships that fly to see their significant other:
how often do you fly down to see them? or them fly up to see you?
how much of a financial hit is it? airlines that you've seen to be cheapest?

thanks for the responses

Members don't see this ad.

I did not get an acceptance this cycle granted I did apply a little late in the game and my stats aren't that great honestly. I got 1 waitlist offer at LECOM - Bradenton and hopefully that'll will work out soon.

My school list was somewhat small and centered around the south/southeast so I could still be within a reasonable distance of my gf, who lives in North Florida (pharm student). Bradenton would be great because its 4hours ish and that drive is totally do-able. My next best option was either PCOM-GA or NOVA; a little further. As the cycle moves on, I have to think about re-applying and opening up the school list to more schools. But that kinda scares me a little since that moves I potentially would be further away from her and wont see her as often; which right now is like every 2-3 weeks.

So my question is for the long distance relationships that fly to see their significant other:

thanks for the responses

If you don't get in this year and you want to be a doctor, get your applications in when it opens and open your search much wider...

If you guys love each other enough, it can work though the reality is that it's not going to work long term and somebody is going to have to concede some sacrifices. I dated someone like this for awhile that moved very far away from me and we "kinda sorta" had figured it out but ultimately it was a real challenge though obviously she was special to me or I would have never tried. I would have never tried to do this for anyone else, so in general I'm not a big fan of LDRs so keep that in mind. In hindsight, I probably should have married her, but at the same time... it's almost impossible to move forward in a relationship when you live so far away from each other and there is no realistic option is in sight. Residency is different because if it's working... you are only there for X number of years.

As for some of your questions, we flew to see each other about once a month if I recall. I paid for her to fly down and see me most of the time and it was a decent financial hit as she lived 2200 miles away. I was an attending though and doubt I would have been able to finance something like that as a resident. Your gf is surely going to be closer than that, so the hit wouldn't be as bad if you guys can share the cost.

Good luck. In the end, do what's best for your career and let the cards fall where they may with this relationship. If it's important to her, he/she'll help you make it work.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

thanks for the responses

Flew to Indianapolis from New York for three years for my now fiance. He was in school there while I worked here. We saw each other every 2-3 weeks, mostly me going there. It was ROUGH. But as I'm writing this he's asleep next to me with our dog asleep on the other side of me....it was worth it.

Get an airline rewards credit card, I got the delta sky miles Amex. Google on the fly matrix and kayak were helpful for flight searches. I spent an absurd amount of money flying around, but all I did when I wasn't with him was work a **** ton so it was okay.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Flew to Indianapolis from New York for three years for my now fiance. He was in school there while I worked here. We saw each other every 2-3 weeks, mostly me going there. It was ROUGH. But as I'm writing this he's asleep next to me with our dog asleep on the other side of me....it was worth it.

Get an airline rewards credit card, I got the delta sky miles Amex. Google on the fly matrix and kayak were helpful for flight searches. I spent an absurd amount of money flying around, but all I did when I wasn't with him was work a **** ton so it was okay.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I didn't realize that @Kaustikos had finished school yet... though I did wonder why he kept showing up in photos with you in NYC!

I didn't realize that @Kaustikos had finished school yet... though I did wonder why he kept showing up in photos with you in NYC!

That's because I joined the League of Shadows to become the next Batman. Limited Wi-fi access means I can't post much :p

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully I just get off this damn wait-list and that'll give some stability until residency time. That's gonna be a whole new problem. A small part of me wants to not get in this cycle, so i'll be 2 years behind her in schooling and that would lead to her having an actual job somewhere(or if she wants to go for residency) so I can scope out residency near her.

My husband and I live 1000 miles apart. We fly back and forth every 2-3weeks. I echo the sentiments of getting an airline credit card.