long distance relationship

swag123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

my girlfriend and i have been in a long distance relationship in college for about 2.5 years now, we're about 1.5 hours apart. i'm graduating this semester (fall 2015) while she's graduating in may 2017 (even though we're in the same "grade" and same age, i was in a program that let me graduate early). i'm starting med school in august of 2016. she's just taken her mcat right now.

my question is : when i go to med school, we'll be 3 hours apart. i know i shouldn't focus on hypothetical situations but i need you guys' advice on this. i do think she's the one i would like to settle down with, but i also want to make sure my career and hers is intact. i also don't think she will be able to handle the stress of me not talking for hours b/c of studying and her ability to handle stress (for the mcat for example this summer) is not very good. i would like to give it a chance, but i also don't want to end it at the wrong time (when she's applying for med school or has interviews for example).

should i talk with her about maybe taking a break until she can possibly get into my med school and when should i ? the upcoming summer? there is also a strong possibility of her taking a gap year, making her 2 "grades" below me (again we were in the same graduating class in high school and all).

thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

*already being answered in allopathic forum* trying to delete but can't

3 hours is not that big of as deal, to be honest. You could easily see each other every weekend if you switched on and off who drove.

You need to have a serious conversation with HER about her ability (or lack thereof) to handle stress, as well as laying out ground rules for what communication frequency will be like, etc. Be open and honest.

Forget about the whole taking a break BS. Dangling the possibility of getting back together if she gets into your school like a carrot isn't fair to her. She should be focusing on getting into the best school for her, not just your school.

edit- didn't see it was already being answered.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My LDR is 2.5 hours away. We make sure that we see each other at least once a month, trading off who drives to the other's place. It can work, if you make it work.

hey guys

my girlfriend and i have been in a long distance relationship in college for about 2.5 years now, we're about 1.5 hours apart. i'm graduating this semester (fall 2015) while she's graduating in may 2017 (even though we're in the same "grade" and same age, i was in a program that let me graduate early). i'm starting med school in august of 2016. she's just taken her mcat right now.

my question is : when i go to med school, we'll be 3 hours apart. i know i shouldn't focus on hypothetical situations but i need you guys' advice on this. i do think she's the one i would like to settle down with, but i also want to make sure my career and hers is intact. i also don't think she will be able to handle the stress of me not talking for hours b/c of studying and her ability to handle stress (for the mcat for example this summer) is not very good. i would like to give it a chance, but i also don't want to end it at the wrong time (when she's applying for med school or has interviews for example).

should i talk with her about maybe taking a break until she can possibly get into my med school and when should i ? the upcoming summer? there is also a strong possibility of her taking a gap year, making her 2 "grades" below me (again we were in the same graduating class in high school and all).

thanks for your time.

I had a female classmate whose boyfriend went to school in another state, she hit on me several times and I declined her advances knowing full well she had a boyfriend, to me the long distance relationship really does not work that well. She made advances on for a period of two years while we were in basic sciences. This classmate's behavior and her sexual advances towards me gave me a lot of insight into the mind of a modern woman. Given most modern women, they put their needs first, and yes if they find someone convenient who can take care of their "needs" do not expect her to be faithful to you.

I think you should get used to the idea that she will not be with you for life, it sounds harsh, but its reality. The chances are likely that she will find someone else, and the chances are there that you will meet someone else too. So keep an open mind.

I had a female classmate whose boyfriend went to school in another state, she hit on me several times and I declined her advances knowing full well she had a boyfriend, to me the long distance relationship really does not work that well. She made advances on for a period of two years while we were in basic sciences. This classmate's behavior and her sexual advances towards me gave me a lot of insight into the mind of a modern woman. Given most modern women, they put their needs first, and yes if they find someone convenient who can take care of their "needs" do not expect her to be faithful to you.

I think you should get used to the idea that she will not be with you for life, it sounds harsh, but its reality. The chances are likely that she will find someone else, and the chances are there that you will meet someone else too. So keep an open mind.
You do realize that there are many people around here who either are currently in or have been in successful long distance relationships, right? Your experience with one woman does not mean you can assume that all women in a similar situation exhibit the same behavior.

I mean, I know you're our resident super troll but at least you're slightly amusing most of the time. You should probably stick to raving about Superman and Donald Trump.

Reactions: 2 users
You do realize that there are many people around here who either are currently in or have been in successful long distance relationships, right? Your experience with one woman does not mean you can assume that all women in a similar situation exhibit the same behavior.

I mean, I know you're our resident super troll but at least you're slightly amusing most of the time. You should probably stick to raving about Superman and Donald Trump.

I am not kidding around, I got chased by female classmate of mine during basic sciences, and she had a boyfriend living in another city at the time, obviously he could not be with her to fulfill her physical needs, ie sex, so she started chasing me, but she played me a for a fool thinking she was single and available, it was when I was hearing her talk to her friends and she started mentioning her boyfriend, and then I checked her Facebook page and there was a picture of her hugging some guy, I put 2 and 2 together, she was just after me to knock some boots, or maybe she really was looking at me as a replacement for her boyfriend, he wasn't that good looking :).

I initially declined her advances because I was married during my first year, but we and my wife later split and got divorced. She still kept pursuing me, but then I had a rule that I imposed on myself not to get personally involved with female classmates given how such relationships if they go sour (and they often do) can come back and bite me in the ass big time. You never get romantically involved with people at work for the same reason, its a bad idea to get romantically involved with people in medical school as well.

The student was not the only woman I found looking to mess around, I went on Ashley Madison, and had over 30 women contact me within a week looking to hook up. I got phone numbers and addresses of women, most of whom were married or had boyfriends, some divorced. This goes back to people like Roosh and Julian PUAs who have been vilified for speaking the truth about Western women and their self serving behavior.

Last edited: