Long distance relationship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

T_matone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I know that there are tons of threads about this, but I would like to ask. My girlfriend and I met in 7th grade. We didn't start dating until our sophomore year here. I was accepted into school back in December and she is a Goldwater scholar, going for a Ph.D. in ChemE. I will be in school at Memphis, and she is probably going to go either to Kansas State, which is 9 hours away, or Fayetteville AR, our undergrad, 5 hours away, for grad school. If she stays in Fayetteville, I'm not worried. We'll meet every other weekend at her parents near Little Rock. If she goes to Kansas, where we will not be able to see each other more than once or twice a semester, will we have time to talk? What can we do to make our lives better for each other? I don't think I have to worry about her not understanding my work load, but I know I won't be able to complain about dental stuff to her. What are your opinions? Breaking up isn't an option, so please, don't offer that one up.

Members don't see this ad.

if it is meant to be, you will find a way to make it work. It's going to be very hard for both of you with the amount of work you will both be doing. Just try to keep the lines of communication open. Visit on breaks as much as possible.

Hey all, I know that there are tons of threads about this, but I would like to ask. My girlfriend and I met in 7th grade. We didn't start dating until our sophomore year here. I was accepted into school back in December and she is a Goldwater scholar, going for a Ph.D. in ChemE. I will be in school at Memphis, and she is probably going to go either to Kansas State, which is 9 hours away, or Fayetteville AR, our undergrad, 5 hours away, for grad school. If she stays in Fayetteville, I'm not worried. We'll meet every other weekend at her parents near Little Rock. If she goes to Kansas, where we will not be able to see each other more than once or twice a semester, will we have time to talk? What can we do to make our lives better for each other? I don't think I have to worry about her not understanding my work load, but I know I won't be able to complain about dental stuff to her. What are your opinions? Breaking up isn't an option, so please, don't offer that one up.
The distance and academic factors will definitely strain the relationship to perhaps the most you all have ever experienced. With that said, there are some things you can do to alleviate that stress.

1.) Allot certain times out of the week to Skype/FaceTime. You still have free time in dental school--time management is essential.

2.) Send thoughtful gifts to her occasionally.

3.) When you all do have the opportunity to see one another make sure that you do activities that are memorable(i.e. Don't couch potato so much, haha).

4.) Perhaps not as practical, but I'll still suggest it--set up a town to meet up in that's half way in between you all.

5.) I think it would also be wise to set down with her prior to matriculation and explain how committed you are to her. A going away present would be great with this(e.g. "Build a bear" a bear with her--it's absolutely disgusting, but she should like it).

Haha! Anyways, I wish you the best. It sounds like you all have an incredible relationship.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The distance and academic factors will definitely strain the relationship to perhaps the most you all have ever experienced. With that said, there are some things you can do to alleviate that stress.

1.) Allot certain times out of the week to Skype/FaceTime. You still have free time in dental school--time management is essential.

3.) When you all do have the opportunity to see one another make sure that you do activities that are memorable(i.e. Don't couch potato so much, haha).

4.) Perhaps not as practical, but I'll still suggest it--set up a town to meet up in that's half way in between you all.

5.) I think it would also be wise to set down with her prior to matriculation and explain how committed you are to her. A going away present would be great with this(e.g. "Build a bear" a bear with her--it's absolutely disgusting, but she should like it).

Haha! Anyways, I wish you the best. It sounds like you all have an incredible relationship.

Thanks! Very supportive. Greatly appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user

I agree with all of these suggestions. Long distance can be difficult, but it can all work out. My husband and I were 5 hours apart for 4 years and he was in a similar program as your girlfriend. We've been married for 5 years now and have a baby on the way. So the most important thing to remind yourself is the time apart is short compared to how long you'll have together. The advice that worked for my husband and I was to make a phone date every night and keep it, even if we only had 5 - 1o minutes to talk. We also used to never leave each other without having another date already set up. You'll make it work. It just takes time and understanding. And don't rely on texts!! There's nothing like the sound of your bf/gf's voice at the end of a long day. Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 users