Long Post- Need Advice,opinions,counsel- pharmacy dilemma.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreams01

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Firs of all, thank you for opening this. Don't be alarmed by length please <3
Long time lurker of this thread and the Pre-med one. I know this is a long shot as you don’t get paid to read and comment opinions and advice, but I have no one knowledgeable person to talk to about these details, and hope you can take the time out to read this - maybe you’ve had same thoughts.
Also, this isn’t an immature post about “Med vs. Pharm”. I am old, I'm serious, and have been researching, and exposing myself for both fields for a long time, but need some opinion on my situation. Share any advice, info,links, articles or posts, or whatever, that can apply to me.
I don’t really want to list to a public forum why I should be good for this or that, so please assume I know what I am talking about. I have made my research and been working towards everything I need for years.

Background info:
I’ve had my fair share of exposure in both fields - volunteering, working, and shadowing in pharmacies and clinics. I’m currently taking a gap year in the middle of my studies, and will be a 3rd year student in my program next year, so a year older for my program. I have good marks so far, - not stellar yet, but in my 2 last years is when they will be stepped up. Im from Ontario, Canada.

Info/dilemma/problems:
I grew up wanting either Medicine or Pharmacy. At the start of Uni, I devoted to stick to pre-med. I felt that this is the route where you feel most challenged, more fulfilled, more useful. However, I don’t think it’s the only way although there comes a lot of reward through it.In my circumstances, it may take longer than the average student after some time fixing my marks after 1st year, and also my hardship and struggles facing the mcat. I’m not posting this to tell you this path is too hard for me to continue and can't fight for it but wondering if the views and value I share can be brought forth through different means if this path ever closed its doors to me. I’m currently, I am having major struggles with my MCAT and it’s been taking over my life. Been studying for so long, haven’t taken it yet b/c my practice scores have been poor, and I need a minimum of 32 here to be considered at a school where my best chance lies. Still have 2 years I need to fight for high GPA and keep my volunteering etc. I love all that - just if I was a quicker like many, I wouldn’t feel like this is consuming me more than it should. I mean I know it has to kill you, but sometimes I feel really unhealthy.

I have heard and read many forums, articles, advice from friends and advice from pharmacists about job saturation etc. However, most pharmacists from the city I’m from tell me it’s not actually that bad as I say. A lot of them also tell me that it’s just about connections. If you know pharmacists, they can set you up on the road nicely, then from there it’s up to you on how well you become known, and preferred etc. How true is this? I have many very close family friends, and community members who are very successful pharmacists in my city (multiple pharmacies open under each), who know me, my family, and my capabilities and personality (either due to volunteering with them and/or seen me as a Youth leader for their kids etc. in our local community centres) and each one of them keeps in a way encouraging me to get into pharmacy ASAP, how they want to help me applying, and take over one of their pharmacies/ help me start one in the future. Having these connections, would that help you become successful in finding a job, even if saturation increases? Will I be alright if I get that kind of help from close friends of family?

My intentions of posting this is to ask a few questions. I know I can eventually catch medicine if I really go after it, especially with some geographical advantages I have. However, this means, I will spend countless more months trying to get a 32 on the mcat, possibly write the new one coming out next year, and have 2 more years of undergrad + maybe 1 more if I need to upgrade my GPA. MCAT alone consumes a lot of my hobbies, my extracurricular's, my activity in the community and leaderships I do and have put on hold for the moment. I’m willing to go after Med with all my life, but it still might not be enough. I know age is just a number, but I’m already a year behind my plans. My parents and I want to see me stable and doing well for myself doing things I would enjoy and also help provide for myself and be able to help them in the future too (Every parent’s dream in my culture).
I’ve been reading up the new Pharma D degree and their new job responsibilities which seems very fulfilling as they're taking over some physician roles. Is this true? Any details I can get on that? This could help me fulfill some passions like having one-on-one personal and long term care; being a source of medical advice and comfort which is a part of my passions.

I’m passionate towards both which is why I have this dilemma to start, but Im currently trying to differentiate truth from feelings. Also Im trying to differentiate between what the public says to and about me (e.g. Medicine is more prestige, smarts, success, richness) vs. how I really feel about them and my current situation.

I’m still going for my Plan A, but I want some sort of hope or comfort knowing there’s just as much happiness for me elsewhere, and it’s just as safe to be successful (in my case with the connections).

So aside from the medical perspectives of both careers, things I value are family, people care, youth care, hobbies, making a difference, and success (physically, financially, mentally).

Questions:
Would you say I’m if I have that much support for pharmacy, I shouldn’t feel worried about jobs/income and be on the safe side etc.?
Do I have the right picture about pharmacy?
Would I fit more in pharmacy with the values I have or would that in medicine too?
Would you go for it or keep going till death for medicine?

Thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO much!
Any voice will do at this moment.

Members don't see this ad.

Let me summarize what I got from reading your post above:

1. You are in a state of confusion: you say you want to go after medicine with your life, but you are unsure about your capabilities and your chance of getting in med schools and whether or not you should go for pharmacy school and later could get a good job and make good money with your connections in pharmacy and get fulfilled professionally.

2. You sound like your age would probably be an obstacle in your pursue of medicine.

3. you have not taken the MCAT yet because you have scored low on practice tests.

4. your family wants you to get established soon to be able to take care of yourself.

5. you seem to be getting tired with premedical and also want to enjoy other things in life instead.

#1, #2 & #3, age is not an issue for medicine these days. I have read that people way up in the 50+ yrs of age started med schools left and right. It seems that you are burned out and having a self-defeating attitude right now. You are taking a break now from school now ("gap year"). Why not taking like a few months off to relax then coming back to study your behinds off and take the real MCAT to see where you are standing ?? (Remember the MCAT can be taken multiple times.) If you did well on the MCAT, that would be great. If not, analyze what you did wrong and/or could improve on, come up with a plan, then attack the exam again. You have a whole year to do it. Again, the problem is not your age if you are passionate and persistent about what you are pursuing.

There is a saying, "Winners never quit; quitters never win." But, sometimes you have to be honest and practical too. Reality is that not everyone has the mental, physical, and finacial capability and endurance for certain things they want to do, e.g. medicine, pharmacy, law, etc. Neither age or finance seems to be an issue for you now here. Only you could answer for yourself if you truly possess what are needed to pursue medicine (your plan A) here.

Since your plan A is medicine, I will bet that you would be unhappy if you went for pharmacy now instead. In fact, I think pharmacy is the wrong thing for you now. So do not worry about what the PharmD degree can do for now. Imho, a PharmD is never an MD and vice versa (even their professional responsibilities might elapse sometime now or in the future). I guess I really want to tell you to only go into pharmacy if you think you love pharmacy.

As of now, I do not think the pharmacy market is as bad as some say as long as you are working on your pharmacy study, credentials, and connections and having an open mind. In your case, if you went to pharmacy, of course you would be alright with the kind of connections you have described above. It is not only true that connections is very important in pharmacy, but it is also true that connections is always important in all kinds of job seeking if you ask me.

Again, the only problem I see here is that you are only worrying and having troubles with the MCAT. My advice is to take some time off, come back to study and freaking take the dang test :) There is no point to sit there dreaming your dream, questioning yourself over and over and/or fearing and being paralyzed.

#4 & #5, if you have already decided medicine is for you and you got all the things needed to go after medicine, do not worry about what other people say. Plan your steps to pursue medicine and worry only about doing and being successful in completing those steps. But do not forget to take care of yourself and do not be a burden on family or anyone, esp. financially.

If you honestly see that you did not have the things required to pursue medicine, ask yourself what you are good at and passionate about. Your chance to be successful financially and fulfilled professionally would be very high if you are really good at doing something and also love doing it. Act on it quickly and seize the opportunities and you will have all the time and success in the world to enjoy and make a difference for yourself and your family.

GL :)

Firs of all, thank you for opening this. Don't be alarmed by length please <3
Long time lurker of this thread and the Pre-med one. I know this is a long shot as you don’t get paid to read and comment opinions and advice, but I have no one knowledgeable person to talk to about these details, and hope you can take the time out to read this - maybe you’ve had same thoughts.
Also, this isn’t an immature post about “Med vs. Pharm”. I am old, I'm serious, and have been researching, and exposing myself for both fields for a long time, but need some opinion on my situation. Share any advice, info,links, articles or posts, or whatever, that can apply to me.
I don’t really want to list to a public forum why I should be good for this or that, so please assume I know what I am talking about. I have made my research and been working towards everything I need for years.

Background info:
I’ve had my fair share of exposure in both fields - volunteering, working, and shadowing in pharmacies and clinics. I’m currently taking a gap year in the middle of my studies, and will be a 3rd year student in my program next year, so a year older for my program. I have good marks so far, - not stellar yet, but in my 2 last years is when they will be stepped up. Im from Ontario, Canada.

Info/dilemma/problems:
I grew up wanting either Medicine or Pharmacy. At the start of Uni, I devoted to stick to pre-med. I felt that this is the route where you feel most challenged, more fulfilled, more useful. However, I don’t think it’s the only way although there comes a lot of reward through it.In my circumstances, it may take longer than the average student after some time fixing my marks after 1st year, and also my hardship and struggles facing the mcat. I’m not posting this to tell you this path is too hard for me to continue and can't fight for it but wondering if the views and value I share can be brought forth through different means if this path ever closed its doors to me. I’m currently, I am having major struggles with my MCAT and it’s been taking over my life. Been studying for so long, haven’t taken it yet b/c my practice scores have been poor, and I need a minimum of 32 here to be considered at a school where my best chance lies. Still have 2 years I need to fight for high GPA and keep my volunteering etc. I love all that - just if I was a quicker like many, I wouldn’t feel like this is consuming me more than it should. I mean I know it has to kill you, but sometimes I feel really unhealthy.

I have heard and read many forums, articles, advice from friends and advice from pharmacists about job saturation etc. However, most pharmacists from the city I’m from tell me it’s not actually that bad as I say. A lot of them also tell me that it’s just about connections. If you know pharmacists, they can set you up on the road nicely, then from there it’s up to you on how well you become known, and preferred etc. How true is this? I have many very close family friends, and community members who are very successful pharmacists in my city (multiple pharmacies open under each), who know me, my family, and my capabilities and personality (either due to volunteering with them and/or seen me as a Youth leader for their kids etc. in our local community centres) and each one of them keeps in a way encouraging me to get into pharmacy ASAP, how they want to help me applying, and take over one of their pharmacies/ help me start one in the future. Having these connections, would that help you become successful in finding a job, even if saturation increases? Will I be alright if I get that kind of help from close friends of family?

My intentions of posting this is to ask a few questions. I know I can eventually catch medicine if I really go after it, especially with some geographical advantages I have. However, this means, I will spend countless more months trying to get a 32 on the mcat, possibly write the new one coming out next year, and have 2 more years of undergrad + maybe 1 more if I need to upgrade my GPA. MCAT alone consumes a lot of my hobbies, my extracurricular's, my activity in the community and leaderships I do and have put on hold for the moment. I’m willing to go after Med with all my life, but it still might not be enough. I know age is just a number, but I’m already a year behind my plans. My parents and I want to see me stable and doing well for myself doing things I would enjoy and also help provide for myself and be able to help them in the future too (Every parent’s dream in my culture).
I’ve been reading up the new Pharma D degree and their new job responsibilities which seems very fulfilling as they're taking over some physician roles. Is this true? Any details I can get on that? This could help me fulfill some passions like having one-on-one personal and long term care; being a source of medical advice and comfort which is a part of my passions.

I’m passionate towards both which is why I have this dilemma to start, but Im currently trying to differentiate truth from feelings. Also Im trying to differentiate between what the public says to and about me (e.g. Medicine is more prestige, smarts, success, richness) vs. how I really feel about them and my current situation.

I’m still going for my Plan A, but I want some sort of hope or comfort knowing there’s just as much happiness for me elsewhere, and it’s just as safe to be successful (in my case with the connections).

So aside from the medical perspectives of both careers, things I value are family, people care, youth care, hobbies, making a difference, and success (physically, financially, mentally).

Questions:
Would you say I’m if I have that much support for pharmacy, I shouldn’t feel worried about jobs/income and be on the safe side etc.?
Would I fit more in pharmacy with the values I have or would that in medicine too?

Thank you SO SO SO SO SO SO much!
Any voice will do at this moment.

Last edited:
Wow. I'm honestly very grateful, appreciative, and thankful someone took the time to read my essay and give me a detailed opinion covering all the points. It takes something special to give back to the community, and I cannot thank you enough for having another voice and another perspective.

Your summary points are exactly what I have said. Hopefully it helps others reading this to look at those summaries for a tl;dr version.
The thing that I wanted you to add in there in your summary is that both fields are passions of mine- each has a difference, but gives me a sense of satisfaction if I see myself being successful in both areas. Medicine is more a reward for what I'd be doing as a doctor and gives me more challenges to be motivated by, but I'm still debating if (worst case scenario) it's that worth it to sacrifice much of age (which is going to get to a problem), go through the motions of uncertainty, not have stability for myself or family (finance is also important. I depend too much on my parents, and so far spending money on Mcat courses, books, tests, reschedules, etc. gets hefty and Im still not done it), sacrifice more of the community work I do, and even not live the lifestyle I want when I'm in medicine (This is assuming being a slower pre-med who's route is not straightforward). I don't think I want to be those mature students who get in at 30+ because that's too much of a burden on my family and for me for to be still dependent at that age when there IS another option I would be happy with (if I can succeed through it) , my family would be happy with, and have all the support and encouragement I need from pharmacists.

So I just want to know where the drawing line is - between practicality and dream, especially if I can still find the fulfillment, establish myself, become stable, and do all the things I love. It wont be the same as a doctor, but both these are my passions - different but same in away. There is also a big factor which is fear to lose the opportunity for both! Can always be chasing after med, by the time I choose pharmacy, the door would be closed for me (either by the support, or new rules, opportunities, etc.)

I know that what you said holds true. I need to just block this thought for awhile, and focus on my current circumstances. I have an Mcat I need to try to kill, then see what goes from there. I just don't know what happens if I can't get by it this year, because it's just so consuming. I guess the main purpose of my post was to see if pharmacy will be a successful path for me if I get the help I need to stand on my feet, and not have to worry about the general consensus of saturation, so that if I choose it, I wouldn't be feel sad, or treating it as a "Plan B". In all honesty, my plan A is to win my own life: To do daily work in a field I'm extremely passionate about, feel challenged and making a difference by, live by my values and interests, and succeed physically, mentally, and financially. So I need to keep working hard - but being depressed or down is not an option!
Thanks for being there man, I can't thank you enough.

1. You are in a state of confusion: you say you want to go after medicine with your life, but you are unsure about your capabilities and your chance of getting in med schools and whether or not you should go for pharmacy school and later could get a good job and make good money with your connections in pharmacy and get fulfilled professionally.

2. You sound like your age would probably be an obstacle in your pursue of medicine.

3. you have not taken the MCAT yet because you have scored low on practice tests.

4. your family wants you to get established soon to be able to take care of yourself.

5. you seem to be getting tired with premedical and also want to enjoy other things in life instead.

#1, #2 & #3, age is not an issue for medicine these days. I have read that people way up in the 50+ yrs of age started med schools left and right. It seems that you are burned out and having a self-defeating attitude right now. You are taking a break now from school now ("gap year"). Why not taking like a few months off to relax then coming back to study your behinds off and take the real MCAT to see where you are standing ?? (Remember the MCAT can be taken multiple times.) If you did well on the MCAT, that would be great. If not, analyze what you did wrong and/or could improve on, come up with a plan, then attack the exam again. You have a whole year to do it. Again, the problem is not your age if you are passionate and persistent about what you are pursuing.

There is a saying, "Winners never quit; quitters never win." But, sometimes you have to be honest and practical too. Reality is that not everyone has the mental, physical, and finacial capability and endurance for certain things they want to do, e.g. medicine, pharmacy, law, etc. Neither age or finance seems to be an issue for you now here. Only you could answer for yourself if you truly possess what are needed to pursue medicine (your plan A) here.

Since your plan A is medicine, I will bet that you would be unhappy if you went for pharmacy now instead. In fact, I think pharmacy is the wrong thing for you now. So do not worry about what the PharmD degree can do for now. Imho, a PharmD is never an MD and vice versa (even their professional responsibilities might elapse sometime now or in the future). I guess I really want to tell you to only go into pharmacy if you think you love pharmacy.

As of now, I do not think the pharmacy market is as bad as some say as long as you are working on your pharmacy study, credentials, and connections and having an open mind. In your case, if you went to pharmacy, of course you would be alright with the kind of connections you have described above. It is not only true that connections is very important in pharmacy, but it is also true that connections is always important in all kinds of job seeking if you ask me.

Again, the only problem I see here is that you are only worrying and having troubles with the MCAT. My advice is to take some time off, come back to study and freaking take the dang test :) There is no point to sit there dreaming your dream, questioning yourself over and over and/or fearing and being paralyzed.

#4 & #5, if you have already decided medicine is for you and you got all the things needed to go after medicine, do not worry about what other people say. Plan your steps to pursue medicine and worry only about doing and being successful in completing those steps. But do not forget to take care of yourself and do not be a burden on family or anyone, esp. financially.

If you honestly see that you did not have the things required to pursue medicine, ask yourself what you are good at and passionate about. Your chance to be successful financially and fulfilled professionally would be very high if you are really good at doing something and also love doing it. Act on it quickly and seize the opportunities and you will have all the time and success in the world to enjoy and make a difference for yourself and your family.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Excellent post!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow. I'm honestly very grateful, appreciative, and thankful someone took the time to read my essay and give me a detailed opinion covering all the points. It takes something special to give back to the community, and I cannot thank you enough for having another voice and another perspective.

Your summary points are exactly what I have said. Hopefully it helps others reading this to look at those summaries for a tl;dr version.
The thing that I wanted you to add in there in your summary is that both fields are passions of mine- each has a difference, but gives me a sense of satisfaction if I see myself being successful in both areas. Medicine is more a reward for what I'd be doing as a doctor and gives me more challenges to be motivated by, but I'm still debating if (worst case scenario) it's that worth it to sacrifice much of age (which is going to get to a problem), go through the motions of uncertainty, not have stability for myself or family (finance is also important. I depend too much on my parents, and so far spending money on Mcat courses, books, tests, reschedules, etc. gets hefty and Im still not done it), sacrifice more of the community work I do, and even not live the lifestyle I want when I'm in medicine (This is assuming being a slower pre-med who's route is not straightforward). I don't think I want to be those mature students who get in at 30+ because that's too much of a burden on my family and for me for to be still dependent at that age when there IS another option I would be happy with (if I can succeed through it) , my family would be happy with, and have all the support and encouragement I need from pharmacists.

So I just want to know where the drawing line is - between practicality and dream, especially if I can still find the fulfillment, establish myself, become stable, and do all the things I love. It wont be the same as a doctor, but both these are my passions - different but same in away. There is also a big factor which is fear to lose the opportunity for both! Can always be chasing after med, by the time I choose pharmacy, the door would be closed for me (either by the support, or new rules, opportunities, etc.)

I know that what you said holds true. I need to just block this thought for awhile, and focus on my current circumstances. I have an Mcat I need to try to kill, then see what goes from there. I just don't know what happens if I can't get by it this year, because it's just so consuming. I guess the main purpose of my post was to see if pharmacy will be a successful path for me if I get the help I need to stand on my feet, and not have to worry about the general consensus of saturation, so that if I choose it, I wouldn't be feel sad, or treating it as a "Plan B". In all honesty, my plan A is to win my own life: To do daily work in a field I'm extremely passionate about, feel challenged and making a difference by, live by my values and interests, and succeed physically, mentally, and financially. So I need to keep working hard - but being depressed or down is not an option!
Thanks for being there man, I can't thank you enough.

I understand your situation very well as I saw many in my family and extended family and circle of friends went through that. If you need to discuss more and cannot say on a public forum, PM me. GL again :)

If you know pharmacists, they can set you up on the road nicely, then from there it’s up to you on how well you become known, and preferred etc. How true is this?
- I have heard this to be very true. From schools I've interviewed with, professors I've had, pharmacists I've worked with, etc... they all say that pharmacy is a very small world. Everyone knows everyone so networking is huge and very beneficial to excelling in the field. I think it is important to utilize any connections you have regardless of whether you pick medicine or pharmacy. Friends, family, colleagues, everyone.

I’ve been reading up the new Pharma D degree and their new job responsibilities which seems very fulfilling as they're taking over some physician roles. Is this true? Any details I can get on that?

- I think there are always rumors buzzing around that they are going to grant pharmacists the ability to prescribe in acute scenarios. There are pros and cons to the argument. So often patients come into the pharmacy looking for a diagnosis because they don't want to bother with visiting their physician but most of the pharmacists I've worked with have never been properly trained on how to diagnose.

Questions:
- You should always worry about jobs and income regardless of which career path you choose. Don't pick pharmacy just because you have good connections in the industry. Pick it because you have a passion for the work you are doing. Connections aren't going to make you happy if you dislike the requirements of the job.

- You mentioned having exposure to both areas, job shadowing, etc... but what kind of pharmacy was it? I'm not sure what your pharmacy connections are but most graduates are obtaining jobs in retail. If you've never been exposed to the retail side of pharmacy then it would be in your benefit to experience that. It can be a very stressful environment and it may end up being where you first gain employment.

- I think the values for medicine and for pharmacy are very interchangeable so I don't see that as being a deciding factor for you. Both fields are about pursuing a career in which you are able to provide health care to people just at different levels.

-
Always pursue the dream you feel the most passion for. The impression that I get from your post is that your passion is medicine. I think that is clear by your question about whether a pharmacist will be able to take over a physician's role and is that in the future. If you are looking to have the responsibilities of a physician then I don't think being a pharmacist will make you feel fulfilled. I can understand how you feel like all of this is a race against time and being frustrated by your age but you can't allow that to make the decision for you.

And take the MCAT! You can study for days and days and make yourself crazy with practice exams but you will never know how you perform on it until you actually take the test!

Great post! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions very well!

I know that this post was long, and I may have not given the best image about my "passions" as I can tell I've made it seem like its purely for medicine. So let me take the moment to explain myself and add some more details, as that may clear up a better image?

What I'm trying to make clear is that I have passions to both careers. I think I've even had more exposure towards pharmacy (Only Retail) as in Canada, it's easier to get hands on experience instantly unlike Doctor shadowing (which isn't a requirement to get into med. school here, I know states like that) and also I have many family members who are in it (have no influence on my decision). So I was aware of both careers very early, and made my life decisions regarding both fields out of pure interest, but then I seem to come to a fork in the road.

The pharmacist I was volunteering for had me do almost all of the technician's jobs except dealing with narcotics. I guess the reason why I'm still attracted to the job meanwhile many friends try to turn me off from that career to focus on medicine and dont understand why I consider pharmacy is that, I saw a side of the pharmacist that you might not see in many others. He shows passion. He does things that I love and practice only in the setting of local youths and all ages in the community and hopeful to do one day in the setting of healthcare, regardless the career . He is an amazing people's person. He is loved by many of his patients, many even constantly give him gifts for his generosity. He's very knowledgeable with his job, and can give many detailed diagnosis. He is extremely understanding, an out going person, and successful. He also has lots of time to pursue many of his hobbies and expand his skills.

This is the reason why I may show a greater passion towards medicine (family med) than for pharmacy. They have more authority and the last say when it comes to medical advice. They are there in crucial decisions. Patients not only come for their problems, but at the same time they want to seek your strength, wisdom, comfort, love and humanity. It all comes down to how much you love your patients and how passionate you about a complete healthy lifestyle. The only contrast I can make is - because I'm Canadian - pharmacy is not like medicine, where it's entirely free for everyone because they are covered by the government. Doctors don't have to worry about where their income will come from. Pharmacists do - so it's like business. So there could be issues with that, and how the people choose. But also because of the government, doctor wait times could be long, and if they love and trust their pharmacist, they could come to you for your opinion.

But as you can see, I'm in for the love of people and their health but also my health (walk the talk). You want to be that difference, even if they came to do a quick check up or pick up their medicine . It's just more than just a job. This is why I can find myself relate in a way to both and have similar "passions", which is why I started this thread. If I had no other interest, I would say, whatever - I'm going to take the MCAT multiple times, take a second degree to improve GPA if needed, and will get in whenever I can. But the problem is, I have passions to both, but don't have any passion to miss both!! I think my biggest point I was trying to make here also is that: Pharmacy is a similar passion, but I'm worried for the opportunity to establish myself and find success through it after hearing/seeing so much negativity towards it. Last thing I want is not to be working well with my title, but I think it's better than that.

Of course there are many other things that come with medicine - like the ability to do way more patient care (which is why I was asking about PharmD), but also the society respect for your opinion, the income, the prestige, etc. (which are immature reasons). But these could come at a price as well. I think the reason why I show favor towards medicine is that I have lived in my head the role everywhere I went, and it would be hard to let it go some day, but I also want to be happy, and maybe there are things about medicine that I still need to research and experience, though I feel like I got the idea about (lifestyle etc.) that could turn me off in away. So it's pretty messy.

As you can see I'm all over the place haha. I think I just need to focus rite now. I need to get motivated for the MCAT, and see how far that takes me and then decide at a better state of mind between both careers. Some times it feels awesome to know you are already through all the requirements and ready to apply towards a career of interest (pharmacy) but sad to know you are way off and still lots to go to getting close to finishing the application towards another career of interest (Medicine), then trying to make a balanced judgement!

Thanks again for putting up with my post, really appreciate it so much! :)

If you know pharmacists, they can set you up on the road nicely, then from there it’s up to you on how well you become known, and preferred etc. How true is this?
- I have heard this to be very true. From schools I've interviewed with, professors I've had, pharmacists I've worked with, etc... they all say that pharmacy is a very small world. Everyone knows everyone so networking is huge and very beneficial to excelling in the field. I think it is important to utilize any connections you have regardless of whether you pick medicine or pharmacy. Friends, family, colleagues, everyone.
I’ve been reading up the new Pharma D degree and their new job responsibilities which seems very fulfilling as they're taking over some physician roles. Is this true? Any details I can get on that?
- I think there are always rumors buzzing around that they are going to grant pharmacists the ability to prescribe in acute scenarios. There are pros and cons to the argument. So often patients come into the pharmacy looking for a diagnosis because they don't want to bother with visiting their physician but most of the pharmacists I've worked with have never been properly trained on how to diagnose.

Questions:
- You should always worry about jobs and income regardless of which career path you choose. Don't pick pharmacy just because you have good connections in the industry. Pick it because you have a passion for the work you are doing. Connections aren't going to make you happy if you dislike the requirements of the job.
- You mentioned having exposure to both areas, job shadowing, etc... but what kind of pharmacy was it? I'm not sure what your pharmacy connections are but most graduates are obtaining jobs in retail. If you've never been exposed to the retail side of pharmacy then it would be in your benefit to experience that. It can be a very stressful environment and it may end up being where you first gain employment.
- I think the values for medicine and for pharmacy are very interchangeable so I don't see that as being a deciding factor for you. Both fields are about pursuing a career in which you are able to provide health care to people just at different levels.

-
Always pursue the dream you feel the most passion for. The impression that I get from your post is that your passion is medicine. I think that is clear by your question about whether a pharmacist will be able to take over a physician's role and is that in the future. If you are looking to have the responsibilities of a physician then I don't think being a pharmacist will make you feel fulfilled. I can understand how you feel like all of this is a race against time and being frustrated by your age but you can't allow that to make the decision for you.

And take the MCAT! You can study for days and days and make yourself crazy with practice exams but you will never know how you perform on it until you actually take the test!

Last edited: