Longitudinal vs Block Clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smokn

Inflammatory marker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in a few threads but most of them are over a year old. Also, most of them are from people on the outside criticizing the LIC programs. Does anyone with some experience in a LIC program care to chime in on the pros and cons? I've seen the studies stating that LIC's generally get about the same or slightly better grades and that the hidden curriculum is less pronounced, but how is the day to day experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an M1 at an LIC school. There are only a couple of schools that have LICs, so your probably not going to get a lot of responses from people who have actually gone through it.

From talking with upper years at my school they seem to really like it. It's a lot of outpatient here, with weekly or bi-weekly er shifts, free space to explore other things. Most have said you can make it an intense experience or a pretty relaxed one.

That said my school spits third year half LIC, half blocks so you can get a month of inpatient in each of the core rotations. In the end it's just like everything else in med school, it's what YOU make of it.

Edit. Spelling.

I appreciate the response.