Look for the helpers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StephBee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With everything terrible that is going on in Paris, I just wanted to take a moment to reflect on something a childhood 'friend' once said.
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1447472539.495793.jpg

As we all start to get full swing into interview and rank season, I feel it's easy to get lost in it.As EM docs,we are some of the first to lay hands on these victims. With our training, we have the chance to save lives. And I'm glad I've got such a great community that is right there with me. Hopefully we won't have anything like this in the U.S. But it's probably naive to think that we won't. And when it does, as the kindly Mr Rogers told us, look for the helpers. Someday soon, we'll be amongst the helpers.

*end melodramatic moment*

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the privilege of meeting Fred Rogers several times. The 20 year old RustedFox was working as a lifeguard at an athletic club where Mr. Rogers swam laps every Monday/Wednesday (and I think most Thursdays). I remember the very first day that I met him. It was just after 6am and a kindly senior wearing a red bathing suit and a red swim cap got in the pool from the other end (and was the only swimmer that was in the pool). He swims up to me and says: "Good morning". Not fully awake, I wave back without a word. He smiles and says: "Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood". Still not awake, I remember thinking to myself with eyes half-closed... "Who does this guy think he is, Fred Rogers or something?" I opened my eyes and sat up in my chair.

Boom.

It was him.

Reactions: 3 users
I had the privilege of meeting Fred Rogers several times. The 20 year old RustedFox was working as a lifeguard at an athletic club where Mr. Rogers swam laps every Monday/Wednesday (and I think most Thursdays). I remember the very first day that I met him. It was just after 6am and a kindly senior wearing a red bathing suit and a red swim cap got in the pool from the other end (and was the only swimmer that was in the pool). He swims up to me and says: "Good morning". Not fully awake, I wave back without a word. He smiles and says: "Its a beautiful day in the neighborhood". Still not awake, I remember thinking to myself with eyes half-closed... "Who does this guy think he is, Fred Rogers or something?" I opened my eyes and sat up in my chair.

Boom.

It was him.

Awesome story