Look out for these Hints from SP's on STEP 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitaldoc2002

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
These are soft signs that SPs might display. Showing that that u noticed it says oceans about your observation powers ! and courteous behaviour ! I looked for these the moment I entered the room and introduced myself. :idea:

1. Yawning SP : Ask - "You look tired Mr. Smith, did you sleep well ?" This could unearth a duodenal ulcer that kept the patient awake at night ! Ofcourse other possibilities exist.

2. Shivering SP: Could mean fever or also could mean the room is too cold .right ? so first do ask the SP if the room temperature too cold for him/her. Surely shows u as very courteous and sensitive to the patient - if he / she says yes, say " Ok, I will have the nurse fix the temperature very soon". Or could it mean hypothyroidism :)

3. Sweating SP : It is important is to remind yourself that this case could be a case of bleeding with hypotension like Bleeding varices , hematemesis, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

digitaldoc2002 said:
These are soft signs that SPs might display. Showing that that u noticed it says oceans about your observation powers ! and courteous behaviour ! I looked for these the moment I entered the room and introduced myself. :idea:

1. Yawning SP : Ask - "You look tired Mr. Smith, did you sleep well ?" This could unearth a duodenal ulcer that kept the patient awake at night ! Ofcourse other possibilities exist.

2. Shivering SP: Could mean fever or also could mean the room is too cold .right ? so first do ask the SP if the room temperature too cold for him/her. Surely shows u as very courteous and sensitive to the patient - if he / she says yes, say " Ok, I will have the nurse fix the temperature very soon". Or could it mean hypothyroidism :)

3. Sweating SP : It is important is to remind yourself that this case could be a case of bleeding with hypotension like Bleeding varices , hematemesis, etc.

Seriously, man, relax. You're putting way too much time into preparing for this test. CS is not difficult. :luck:

It ain't for me dude..I am done with mine ..these are common doubts that most IMGs have... :)

I think that these types of things are going to be what catches people not preparing for the basics of history-taking and physical examination.

Understand the following things:

1) Wash hands
2) Be polite: ask px if okay to uncover area (i.e. listening with stethoscope)
3) Make sure the px understand your directions
4) Listen to the px
5) Always make sure the ???'s are answered

Focus on the basics, in other words. The rest will take care of itself. If you are supposed to get the dx off these (very) soft signs, then the failure rate would be more like 50%. Where people make mistakes that cost them is in the basics. Therefore, language skills, physical exam techniques, and routine are the most important areas on which to focus.

Encouraging people to waste time fixating on symptoms with very low diagnostic specificity is irresponsible, IMHO, IMG or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually i think the point of dd's post is regarding "listening to the patient", not about giving associations between e.g. yawning & duodenal ulcer. The point is, if the patient is, for example, yawning, pay attention to the fact that the patient might be tired, because asking about it might uncover more history.

chicamedica said:
actually i think the point of dd's post is regarding "listening to the patient", not about giving associations between e.g. yawning & duodenal ulcer. The point is, if the patient is, for example, yawning, pay attention to the fact that the patient might be tired, because asking about it might uncover more history.

u spoke my mind :cool: Thats why I used the word "Soft Signs"